FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Service charge

Service charge

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ikeC81 OP   Man  over a year ago

harrow

Just been for a meal and as a single person there is a 10% service charge on the bill - fair enough if 6 of us but for a single person

I was wondering what people think. I have asked for it to be removed and now refuse to pay a tip. Which is a shame because the food was actually quiet nice and service was reasonable

For me automatic service charge is wrong. What would others have done

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oul BrothaMan  over a year ago

A Galaxy far far away

Watch the opening scene of Resevior Dogs

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If it a percentage then it's going to be lower for one person than for 6, I don't agree with auto either but can also see the benifits of it from the staff POV, in some areas tips can be a rare thing simply because customers don't even think to give them and it can be a huge confidence boost to receive them and a let down when it's forgotten especially if they've gone the extra mile

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

"Watch the opening scene of Resevior Dogs"

I always ask for the service charge to be removed but leave the equivalent as a cash tip. I'm not convinced the staff get the service charge, but when I hand over a tip in person, I always tell them to put it into their pocket straight away.

harrow

I must also add when I checked menu outside there as no mention of service charge

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I don't like tipping and I don't like them to add a service charge either.

Everywhere in London is automatic service charge (normally 12.5%) and I never have any issue paying it, unless the waiter/ess is extremely rude.

Service Charge goes in to a thing called TRONC, which puts up a server's wage by about an extra £3 an hour or £10k per annum and without it, businesses couldn't afford to pay staff more than minimum wage and nobody would choose it as a career, so nice restaurants and bars would cease to exist.

If you have an issue paying it, stick to pubs or Mcdonalds.

Don't pay it.

Why do some people expect tips?

why why tip in a restaurant and not in a chippy? both servers get wages right?

taxis..why do some people tip taxi drivers but not bus drivers or train drivers.

no.

people who get a wage can fuck off expecting tips.

If your job doesn't pay enough it's not up to the customers to make up the difference.

The cheek of sticking it on the fucking bill too!!

you don't expect to go to a builders yard and tip the guy who loads up your van do you? why? because he gets paid to load it up..It's his job. same as chefs and servers etc..They want tipping for doing a job they chose and are already paid for..as if they're going out of their way to be nice to us?!

so much no to giving tips!

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I don't like tipping and I don't like them to add a service charge either. "

No me neither, I would much rather the wage be enough, and the price on the menu.

harrow

"I don't like tipping and I don't like them to add a service charge either.

No me neither, I would much rather the wage be enough, and the price on the menu."

That's my point - if the service is good or food is good then tip

That was in the 90s. Usa is 20 percent now. . I know, they expect a 10dollar tip for a $50 meal.

If it exceptional, you'd then give more.

...Up on the Downs

"I don't like tipping and I don't like them to add a service charge either.

No me neither, I would much rather the wage be enough, and the price on the menu.

That's my point - if the service is good or food is good then tip"

But then you are back to discretion again - I would far rather the price was the price.

I don't like it either, its like you being forced/pressured into giving a tip. & when you question it or ask the charge to be removed make you seem like a stingy bastard

Can tell you people don't eat out often.

Not too keen on service charges..or Tronc system....often over 50% goes to the management

...Up on the Downs

"I don't like it either, its like you being forced/pressured into giving a tip. & when you question it or ask the charge to be removed make you seem like a stingy bastard "

Exactly - or if the food is rubbish or the kitchen slow the waitress gets less wage?

i have no problem tipping if i can be sure the server is getting it. In many many london restaurants,I'm sure other places too,the tips are put together, then shared out just to bump up the server's wages to minimum wage.Pretty awful practice. Giraffe, Strada, and several other chains have been outed over this.In the West End a lot of restuarant staff are treated and paid appallingly.

I've been a waitress - I always tip because I know it's really hard work and very stressful!

Service charge is bullshit and I doubt that many of the servers get any extra on top of their minimum wage!

I think if you've enjoyed your meal and your service then it's not going to kill you to give the server a little something.

As a chef I'm all for the service charge the wages are shite as it is. People have mouths to feed and bills to pay. And at the end of the day if you can afford to eat out in a restaurant 10% is a drop in the ocean.

I don't tip simply because I can't afford too. Can't remember the last time I went to a restraunt that you would tip at.

I would much sooner tip the person myself tho asaposed to bring forced to tip as a percentage. Xxx

By *ngel n tedCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

"Don't pay it.

taxis..why do some people tip taxi drivers but not bus drivers or train drivers.

no.

If your job doesn't pay enough it's not up to the customers to make up the difference.

you don't expect to go to a builders yard and tip the guy who loads up your van do you? why? because he gets paid to load it up..It's his job. same as chefs and servers etc..They want tipping for doing a job they chose and are already paid for..as if they're going out of their way to be nice to us?!

so much no to giving tips! "

I hear the beeb are making a period drama for xmas, it's called scrooge or something

"I've been a waitress - I always tip because I know it's really hard work and very stressful!

Service charge is bullshit and I doubt that many of the servers get any extra on top of their minimum wage!

I think if you've enjoyed your meal and your service then it's not going to kill you to give the server a little something.

"

You have very little understanding of the way service charge is deployed for someone who used to be a waitress.

Service Charge is used to offer a wage that the business otherwise couldn't afford to pay. Most say a basic rate of minimum wage, plus X amount in TRONC, making up the pay to a reasonable amount. Without this, what would be the point of going to work in a high end restaurant, where standards are high and the work is hard, when you could earn the exact same rate having a laugh in a pub?

I do get the idea that 'all the tips are shared equally amongest both front of the house (waiters) & behind the scenes (chefs) staff. But idea that tips are used to top up wages that's just wrong!! They shld be all paid a decent wage & the tips just be a bonus for the hard work

"I do get the idea that 'all the tips are shared equally amongest both front of the house (waiters) & behind the scenes (chefs) staff. But idea that tips are used to top up wages that's just wrong!! They shld be all paid a decent wage & the tips just be a bonus for the hard work "

This.

"I do get the idea that 'all the tips are shared equally amongest both front of the house (waiters) & behind the scenes (chefs) staff. But idea that tips are used to top up wages that's just wrong!! They shld be all paid a decent wage & the tips just be a bonus for the hard work "

That's how it was when I was waitressing back in the 90s. Xxx

By *olfie2000Man  over a year ago

Download

I'll happily pay a tip if the food and or service is good but I don't like it when there is XX% added on to the bill, it should be discretionary not expected. I like to decide if and how much I leave. Occasionally as a (minimum wage) mechanic a customer might give me a 'drink' for fixing their car but I don't expect it and it's not added onto their bill, the price is the price.

Also the waitresses don't tend to get any of it if it's electronic...

I'll tip if service or food justifies it. I rarely pay a service charge though

And while I understand that the staff can be low paid, I;m not comfortable with the fact that restaurents and particularly chains making big profits think that the onus should be on the customer to top up their staff's salaries

"Don't pay it.

no.

so much no to giving tips!

I hear the beeb are making a period drama for xmas, it's called scrooge or something"

too right. not giving free cash to people who already have jobs. They can piss off

nobody is going to pay the decent wage though when gullible customers are happy to make up the difference

"I've been a waitress - I always tip because I know it's really hard work and very stressful!

You have very little understanding of the way service charge is deployed for someone who used to be a waitress.

Service Charge is used to offer a wage that the business otherwise couldn't afford to pay. Most say a basic rate of minimum wage, plus X amount in TRONC, making up the pay to a reasonable amount. Without this, what would be the point of going to work in a high end restaurant, where standards are high and the work is hard, when you could earn the exact same rate having a laugh in a pub? "

I was a waitress when you were 2 years old!

So try not to be a patronising know it all!

We used to get our wages weekly in little brown envelopes.

By *adyDangerWoman  over a year ago

land of debauchery and kink

"Can tell you people don't eat out often. "

Can you not be nice ever? Or positive? No need for some of your comments. Rude and offensive

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

If the restaurant management had better business acumen, then they'd be able to charge enough to make a profit and pay proper wages so no one would have to tip.

By *ildt123Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Waitress staff work hard and are treat like shit for crap money, if they do this well I have no issue tipping, 10% min. However I do not agreed with a service charge, the price on the menu includes service from the companies point of view and if they want good staff they have to pay a decent wage. A tip is for the staff for doing a good job not the owners to take a cut of, no issue with the tips being pooled and shared between the waiter/waitress staff etc

Whenever I am out for a meal, I will always leave a tip

What they seem to be forgetting there is that a tip is a completely optional thing, a diner is under no obligation to leave one

I believe tips should be left but that doesn't mean others share the same feeling

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

I work in a restaurant, I'm a shift supervisor and don't get the chance to wait on tables.

The waiting staff earn far more than me once they've made tips (not service charge, just customers showing their appreciation of a job well done)

I see both sides of the argument as far as do you or don't you tip. If i go out (which is rare) and I feel the staff member has had a positive impact on my experience then yes, I'll tip. If I don't, I won't.

I'm pretty sure when a builder/workmen come to your house you offer them a brew, it's the same as a tip, just given in coffee rather than cash.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

Service Charge is used to offer a wage that the business otherwise couldn't afford to pay. Most say a basic rate of minimum wage, plus X amount in TRONC, making up the pay to a reasonable amount. Without this, what would be the point of going to work in a high end restaurant, where standards are high and the work is hard, when you could earn the exact same rate having a laugh in a pub? "

If you can't run a business successfully enough to pay your staff a decent wage, you shouldn't be in business and you deserve to go bust. Why should customers subsidise unsuccessful business models?

Service Charge is used to offer a wage that the business otherwise couldn't afford to pay. Most say a basic rate of minimum wage, plus X amount in TRONC, making up the pay to a reasonable amount. Without this, what would be the point of going to work in a high end restaurant, where standards are high and the work is hard, when you could earn the exact same rate having a laugh in a pub?

If you can't run a business successfully enough to pay your staff a decent wage, you shouldn't be in business and you deserve to go bust. Why should customers subsidise unsuccessful business models? "

Hear, hear, well said.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

If you can't run a business successfully enough to pay your staff a decent wage, you shouldn't be in business and you deserve to go bust. Why should customers subsidise unsuccessful busyness models? "

Not forgetting that "high end" charge a fuck of a lot more than a pub so there's no reason whatsoever they shouldn't be able to pay their staff more.

A percentage service charge in a "high end" establishment amounts to a heck of a lot more than the same percentage in a pub too.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"As a chef I'm all for the service charge the wages are shite as it is. People have mouths to feed and bills to pay. And at the end of the day if you can afford to eat out in a restaurant 10% is a drop in the ocean. "

What sort of argument is that? That 10% might be their last tenner.

I don't approve of the service charge as that should be included in the pricing of the food. The cost of the business is paid for by the customer through the purchase. Adding a service charge is a con and/or bad cost and price balance. TRONC doesn't always get passed on to the servers.

I do leave cash tips because I know how badly some are paid. I don't like it and I don't approve of it for the same reasons Christos has already mentioned.

"I work in a restaurant, I'm a shift supervisor and don't get the chance to wait on tables.

The waiting staff earn far more than me once they've made tips (not service charge, just customers showing their appreciation of a job well done)

I see both sides of the argument as far as do you or don't you tip. If i go out (which is rare) and I feel the staff member has had a positive impact on my experience then yes, I'll tip. If I don't, I won't.

I'm pretty sure when a builder/workmen come to your house you offer them a brew, it's the same as a tip, just given in coffee rather than cash."

They don't get tea and coffee in my house as I don't have them. Having tea and coffee in house is not the same as giving someone £5-30.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

Unfortunately, a lot of hotel, pub and restaurant groups keep the Service Charge for themselves and the staff never see one penny at all. My last company did this all the time!

"Just been for a meal and as a single person there is a 10% service charge on the bill - fair enough if 6 of us but for a single person

I was wondering what people think. I have asked for it to be removed and now refuse to pay a tip. Which is a shame because the food was actually quiet nice and service was reasonable

good on you mate we dont tip the milkman the binman shop keepers taxis yeah only by choice though so what make a waiteress any different all a service but a choice is nice

For me automatic service charge is wrong. What would others have done "

By *rincess peachWoman  over a year ago

shits creek

"

They don't get tea and coffee in my house as I don't have them. Having tea and coffee in house is not the same as giving someone £5-30.

"

£5-30?! Jeez. The average round here is £2, that's the norm lol.

I was a waitress when you were 2 years old!

So try not to be a patronising know it all!

We used to get our wages weekly in little brown envelopes.

"

god I remember them! With the amount inside written on the front. Xxx

"

£5-30?! Jeez. The average round here is £2, that's the norm lol. "

I'm in London, eat out a fair amount and at a range of price points.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

If it is a service charge, are you under any obligation to pay it? genuine question, I don't know.

Being a waitress myself I'm quite lucky in the fact I get to keep all my tips I never expect any and neither do we put on an automatic service charge unless it's a booking over a certain number of people, 100% of the service charge goes to the waitress.

However I've known people who have worked for other company's and have had to pay % of their takings so if they don't make enough tips to cover it it's had to come out of their own pocket which I think is totally wrong so I always ask who the tip goes to.

Working in this industry is hard work and from week to week you never know if your going to get the hours especially at quieter periods so the tips do help.

I absolutely love my job and wouldn't change it for anything.

Forgot to say the service charge is not compulsory so you don't have to pay it

By *rcticFoxxxWoman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

An elderly lady tried to give me a couple of quid at work the other day for packing her shopping for her, I had to refuse as we are not allowed to take anything from customers...

I went the 'extra mile' for that customer. A service charge in a restaurant? For what? They're not doing anything other than their job... Fuck em. The fact that they expect it is enough to make me want to not pay it.

I used to just leave the change.. anything from a couple of pence to a couple of quid.. I then heard the waitress say to another waitress "tight bitch, is that all she left?" So now I don't bother at all.

harrow

Well after having another look on the online menu there is no mention of service charge

It is definatley a very cheeky 'enforced tip'.

They have lost a customer now

By *rinking-in-laCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

If they get paid more, we all complain that the food is too expensive.

Then we end up in KFC and become obese

By *rs DCouple  over a year ago

far

lol and true

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"Everywhere in London is automatic service charge (normally 12.5%) and I never have any issue paying it, unless the waiter/ess is extremely rude.

Service Charge goes in to a thing called TRONC, which puts up a server's wage by about an extra £3 an hour or £10k per annum and without it, businesses couldn't afford to pay staff more than minimum wage and nobody would choose it as a career, so nice restaurants and bars would cease to exist.

If you have an issue paying it, stick to pubs or Mcdonalds. "

Rubbish paying an automatic service charge is signalling to the proprietors that you agree with them paying low wages.

Refuse to pay the service charge and ask to speak to the manager and explain that it is time they paid a decent wage.

We never pay any automatic service charge but always leave good tips when no service charge is added

Unless it was a really expensive restaurant, you're talking about a few quid. Who really gives a shit.

Out of interest, why would you be ok with a service charge being applied for a table of 6 but not a table of 1?

Never noticed it but then I don't eat in fancy places. The last time I went to a fancy place for my ex's mums birthday meal I ordered scampi and when it came it was not scampi that I know, they weren't in breadcrumbs they were like little slugs on my plate. The bill combined was over 600 quid and everyone was like well let's divide it by 8 and I was like not a sniff, I didn't drink any alcohol and I didn't have a starter, I had to call the waiter and ask him to itemise what I had whilst everyone just stared at me!

" I was like not a sniff, I didn't drink any alcohol and I didn't have a starter, I had to call the waiter and ask him to itemise what I had whilst everyone just stared at me! "

See..

Now if that was me..I'd be too embarassed to do that..I'd just pay the bill.

" I was like not a sniff, I didn't drink any alcohol and I didn't have a starter, I had to call the waiter and ask him to itemise what I had whilst everyone just stared at me!

See..

Now if that was me..I'd be too embarassed to do that..I'd just pay the bill. "

I wouldnt if I was in a group and wasn't drinking and only had a main NO way I'd stump over £50 just because! I'd like to think the company I was with would automatically speak up and say that it's not fair I should contribute the same

By *andsonjohnMan  over a year ago

in the eye of the storm

" I was like not a sniff, I didn't drink any alcohol and I didn't have a starter, I had to call the waiter and ask him to itemise what I had whilst everyone just stared at me!

See..

I wouldnt if I was in a group and wasn't drinking and only had a main NO way I'd stump over £50 just because! I'd like to think the company I was with would automatically speak up and say that it's not fair I should contribute the same "

I have to agree with lady D here real friends wouldn't expect you to pay for there drinks if you don't drink yourself and if you for go a starter and sweet they would not expect you to pay any more than your main came to .

its about playing fair with your friends something I never have to worry about with my circle of friends.

See..

I wouldnt if I was in a group and wasn't drinking and only had a main NO way I'd stump over £50 just because! I'd like to think the company I was with would automatically speak up and say that it's not fair I should contribute the same "

I was the designated driver for over 20 years when I was teetotal and always split the bill evenly. If it's a group outing then it's a group bill as far as I'm concerned.

F&S, the scampi without breadcrumbs are just little slugs (but from the sea).

This because for the restaurants to pay the higher wage upfront would mean carrying up the price of the food they serve and most people won't be able to eat there. Tronc has its place

By *unseeker63Man  over a year ago

Newent, Birmingham, Bristol, London & Watford

Well I've just returned from the States, where any service provider expects a tip. Guy out front at hotel whistles for a cab which is waiting 2 or 3 yards away, expects a tip (the cabbie wouldn't come when I whistled btw). Then the cabbie expects a tip. You get to the restaurant and they show on their bill either something included or optional tips at 15%, 18% or 20%. You get out of the restaurant, and again a rip is expected for hailing a cab, and so on.

Trust me, it all mounts up to an expensive experience and while some of them are excellent at customer service, I only expect to tip when service or food has been exceptional as we should expect a good level of service wherever we go.

Oh and don't get me started on sales tax, San Francisco's Employer tax, or the we've charged you something cos we can tax, like resort fees.

I like the idea of the price is the price, and I'all be the one that decides if I want to tip for exceptional service!

Rant over, and original horny feeling should return shortly......

See..

I wouldnt if I was in a group and wasn't drinking and only had a main NO way I'd stump over £50 just because! I'd like to think the company I was with would automatically speak up and say that it's not fair I should contribute the same

I was the designated driver for over 20 years when I was teetotal and always split the bill evenly. If it's a group outing then it's a group bill as far as I'm concerned.

F&S, the scampi without breadcrumbs are just little slugs (but from the sea). "

If I wasn't drinking and only ate a main I certainly wouldn't split the bill with others whom are drinking alcohol starters etc that's just not fair. And the people I'd be with I'm sure would agree that it's not fair to expect a non drinker who only had a main to pay the same as others. If I was eating much the same and drinking it wouldn't bother me

"If it is a service charge, are you under any obligation to pay it? genuine question, I don't know."
You are if you are told about it before you order or if it is displayed on the menu and /or in the window. In which case to not pay you would have to prove the service wasn't worth it and so pay nothing or a percentage

"Well I've just returned from the States, where any service provider expects a tip. Guy out front at hotel whistles for a cab which is waiting 2 or 3 yards away, expects a tip (the cabbie wouldn't come when I whistled btw). Then the cabbie expects a tip. You get to the restaurant and they show on their bill either something included or optional tips at 15%, 18% or 20%. You get out of the restaurant, and again a rip is expected for hailing a cab, and so on.

Trust me, it all mounts up to an expensive experience and while some of them are excellent at customer service, I only expect to tip when service or food has been exceptional as we should expect a good level of service wherever we go.

Oh and don't get me started on sales tax, San Francisco's Employer tax, or the we've charged you something cos we can tax, like resort fees.

I like the idea of the price is the price, and I'all be the one that decides if I want to tip for exceptional service!

Rant over, and original horny feeling should return shortly...... "

The tipping culture in America always annoys me when I go there. The different taxes too. I never know what I'm actually going to pay for something.

By *andsonjohnMan  over a year ago

in the eye of the storm

See..

F&S, the scampi without breadcrumbs are just little slugs (but from the sea). "

do they give you petrol money because my friends certainly try to give me petrol money . i refuse so every now and again they turn up with a crate of beer for me its about the gestor it shows genuine respect and friendship towards me from them just like my refusal to take petrol money shows the same to them .

See..

I have to agree with lady D here real friends wouldn't expect you to pay for there drinks if you don't drink yourself and if you for go a starter and sweet they would not expect you to pay any more than your main came to .

its about playing fair with your friends something I never have to worry about with my circle of friends. "

Exactly! Some friends they are if they expect you to split with them. They should speak up and say 'no that's not fair' I know the company I keep would never expect me to pay for their meal drinks etc when I wasn't drinking and only had a main.

By *adystephanieTV/TS  over a year ago

glos

If a service charge is clearly mentioned on the menu before you order then I guess you need to pay it, however if it is not mentioned or advised before you order your meal it is up to you whether you pay it.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

Service charges really irritate me!

I once went to a London restaurant with my ex husband, had a lovely meal with good service. When the bill arrived they had added a service charge which wasn't mentioned at all on the menu. I had been intending to leave a tip of an amount which was much higher than the service charge but when I saw what had been added to our bill I left absolutely nothing!

By *unseeker63Man  over a year ago

Newent, Birmingham, Bristol, London & Watford

"Well I've just returned from the States, where any service provider expects a tip. Guy out front at hotel whistles for a cab which is waiting 2 or 3 yards away, expects a tip (the cabbie wouldn't come when I whistled btw). Then the cabbie expects a tip. You get to the restaurant and they show on their bill either something included or optional tips at 15%, 18% or 20%. You get out of the restaurant, and again a rip is expected for hailing a cab, and so on.

Rant over, and original horny feeling should return shortly......

The tipping culture in America always annoys me when I go there. The different taxes too. I never know what I'm actually going to pay for something.

"

Exactly. Knew it was going to be an expensive rate after Brexit made the pound plunge in value but jeez, sales tax etc was another level.

Leaves a sour taste when it isn't clear and up front like it usually is in the UK.

Now that is out of the way, I'm back to horny!

» Add a new message to this topic