The new hot topic!

What do we know?

What do we understand?

The ethics of it all?

The COST?

Post your _iews guys but play nicely

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you can afford it then why not, most people do it because they have an incurable disease that they reckon there will be a cure for in years to come(like the 14 year old girl in the news this week). However be prepared to come back to a world you don't regonise to people you don't know.

By *AK74 OP   Man  over a year ago

Leicester

"If you can afford it then why not, most people do it because they have an incurable disease that they reckon there will be a cure for in years to come(like the 14 year old girl in the news this week). However be prepared to come back to a world you don't regonise to people you don't know. "

Great reply

I think tho that the first few may be used and expimented on like Guinea pigss as many many not medically survive!

don't really see the point in it unless our species starts dying off, and even if they did who would be around to 'wake' up the frozen?

just another pointless quest for people to live forever and contribute nothing to the planet in return.

it's cool we have created the technology for it, i suppose, even though it's pointless.

"don't really see the point in it unless our species starts dying off, and even if they did who would be around to 'wake' up the frozen?

just another pointless quest for people to live forever and contribute nothing to the planet in return.

it's cool we have created the technology for it, i suppose, even though it's pointless."

We have created the technology to freeze a body. That really is it, though. Thawing it, bringing it back to life and treating whatever caused the issue is rather beyond us at the moment.

Ever frozen a strawberry and thawed it? That is what would happen to a human brain, too.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

"don't really see the point in it unless our species starts dying off, and even if they did who would be around to 'wake' up the frozen?

it's cool we have created the technology for it, i suppose, even though it's pointless."

If it gives hope to the persons loved ones, like in the case of the 14 year old girl. Then it has got to be worth it.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

it's cool we have created the technology for it, i suppose, even though it's pointless.

If it gives hope to the persons loved ones, like in the case of the 14 year old girl. Then it has got to be worth it."

False hope, sadly, so they are doing themselves more harm than good.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

if it gave the young girl some peace at the end, so be it.

"I have been asked to explain why I want this unusual thing done. I am only 14 years old and I don't want to die but I know I am going to die.

I think being cryo-preserved gives me a chance to be cured and woken up - even in hundreds of years' time. I don't want to be buried underground"

The words of a 14 year old who knew she was going to die. I think they gave her the last bit of hope. Very sad.

We have created the technology to freeze a body. That really is it, though. Thawing it, bringing it back to life and treating whatever caused the issue is rather beyond us at the moment.

Ever frozen a strawberry and thawed it? That is what would happen to a human brain, too."

that's technology now, were aiming to preserve people with the aim of bringing them back to life and i don't see any point in that basically.

scientifically, i don't see bringing people back to life as advancement of the human race, especially not people whose body is failing and will need curing when they wake up.

we seem to have preserved a lot over time, some of it useful but most of it not. frozen embryos become someones specific responsibility who asked for that and that's fair enough, still pointless in advancement of the human race but not to the people who have paid for it. so i can see the point in this.

ethically i can see the point, almost. humans form attachments and have their own wants.

scientifically i have no doubt we are creating a shitty human race at this time. but ethically we are doing well by doing so.

i feel ethics often disadvantage science. and no i don't condone a lot of things unethical, i just see the scientific advantages in losing ethics.

By *oyce69Man  over a year ago

Driffield

"If you can afford it then why not, most people do it because they have an incurable disease that they reckon there will be a cure for in years to come(like the 14 year old girl in the news this week). However be prepared to come back to a world you don't regonise to people you don't know. "

So true.

I always thought it was cyrogenics

By *ockerMrBloggs6969Man  over a year ago

nr you but not too near

All seems a tad cold to me!

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

"if it gave the young girl some peace at the end, so be it."

By *s2walesCouple  over a year ago

Gwent...

Just a comment. Have you ever seen a strawberry frozen in liquid nitrogen then defrosted .... Mush!!! Wonder what will happens to organs like brain etc. Once the brain has died it deteriorate s very quickly and you can't be frozen until 'dead'.

Another _iew...... What about the soul that some believe leaves the body on point of death.... defrost.... zombie!?!?!?

Who knows?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Agree but when the money runs out to store her she'll probably end up in a crematorium

Perhaps the ones who run such businesses should be frozen and brought back in 5 years to show how good it is

By *s2walesCouple  over a year ago

Gwent...

If it helped the girl bless her. The family?

And the company that profits from this

The first company that started this went bust and all the bodies had to be buried......

york

If it gave her hope I think its a good thing x

I think it's given a child false hope to be honest.

Once your organs are dead it's simple your dead, Sadley cancer ravaged her body even if years to come they did bring her back the cancer would still have killed her organs.

It's not fair she's had to suffer like this but unfortunately it happens and it's wrong to give false hope to anyone let alone a child with a prognosis like she had.

It's also sad that now hundreds of people will want to do this when they die, making companies richer by praying on vulnerable when there is no real fact based evidence it actually works.

Not sure to be honest, the girl who sparked this debate in the first place.. 'if' and it's a very big if..she can be cured in a couple of hundred years, why? No one will be around that she loved and cared for and it will be such a different world.

It's a wonderful idea but I don't think in reality it would be worth it, too much change will happen.

Also what happens if the company goes bust? What about all those bodies? What happens to those?

I'm all up for medical science when I'm gone but not this

G x

york

"I think it's given a child false hope to be honest.

Once your organs are dead it's simple your dead, Sadley cancer ravaged her body even if years to come they did bring her back the cancer would still have killed her organs.

It's not fair she's had to suffer like this but unfortunately it happens and it's wrong to give false hope to anyone let alone a child with a prognosis like she had.

It's also sad that now hundreds of people will want to do this when they die, making companies richer by praying on vulnerable when there is no real fact based evidence it actually works. "

It probably is false hope but it gave her comfort so I don't see it as a bad thing xx

"I always thought it was cyrogenics "

Cryogenics is the branches of physics and engineering that involve the study of very low temperatures, how to produce them, and how materials behave at those temperatures.

Cryonics is the cryopreserving humans and animals with the intention of future revival.

"I think it's given a child false hope to be honest.

It's also sad that now hundreds of people will want to do this when they die, making companies richer by praying on vulnerable when there is no real fact based evidence it actually works. It probably is false hope but it gave her comfort so I don't see it as a bad thing xx"

Having worked with children who have cancer I feel it's best to be honest and open with them, it also helps the family grieve when the time comes.

Research proves that if a loved one passes away in a emergency department If the family see the whole resuscitation process the death is accepted more and the family grieveimg process is totally different to those that don't see it.

Her mother is never going to have the final stage of the grieving process as she's always going to wonder if there will be a breakthrough.

To be honest I don't see doing this any different than saying oh you will come back as a ghost

Leicester

Probably the most insensitive question, The Financial Cost?

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"Not sure to be honest, the girl who sparked this debate in the first place.. 'if' and it's a very big if..she can be cured in a couple of hundred years, why? No one will be around that she loved and cared for and it will be such a different world.

It's a wonderful idea but I don't think in reality it would be worth it, too much change will happen.

Also what happens if the company goes bust? What about all those bodies? What happens to those?

I'm all up for medical science when I'm gone but not this

G x"

This is kinda the way I'm thinking too.

I imagine that no medical ethics commitee would allow a person to be re-aimanted at at time im the future when they knew nobody, had no money and a life-threatening illness.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"The new hot topic!

What do we know?

What do we understand?

The ethics of it all?

The COST?

Post your _iews guys but play nicely

"

Personally, I can't believe that they will be able to resurrect the brain... the soul or essence of what we are, what ever you want to call it. The memories and personality and everything that makes the difference between being a person and a large haggis.

Cal

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

watch forever young

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

I really don't get the hoo ha

If the girl had a heart attack very few of those on here disagreeing with the girls wishes would suggest we should not revive her . There is no difference

As for false hope

3 choices

Buried and rot

Cremated and burned

Or preserved in nitrogen

Only one gives a chance and is never worse than the other two

The probability she will be revived is exceptionally slight but even if she had false hope for 3 days , at 14 that's still better than facing her end of life with none

It really is doubtful she will be revived but her wish may aid the future of this technology , body cooling is already helpful in certain operations and giving extra time to save or enhance life

It harms no one and gives hope and the striving to achieve successful reanimation WILL benefit medicine and humans suffering, that's it really no negatives required this should be a good news story

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Waste of effort and money imo. Better to accept the finality of this current existence as what we can have.

Scientific abilities will improve, including the abilities to better preserve and thaw body tissue. As our brains have so many intricate neurological connections within them - and ultimately it is our brains that hold who we are as a person, my gut feel is that it would be likely that we'd have severely damaged people that would be revived: and that's just the psychological identity part.

I'm not sure that the future is that much to get excited about living in either. I fit in better now, in all probability.

Whilst the tragic story of the girl who died and has been preserved highlights someone's short life that was thwarted and it would seem sweet if she could just be woken up in the future, it does seem misplaced trust in the companies peddling this service.

By *aren1956TV/TS  over a year ago

Fakenham

Yet another ridiculous idea purveyed by American charlatans. I see they don't do it for free......

Who pays for the after care? I'm assuming they don't thaw you out then kick you into the streets!

By *asterandGoodGirlCouple  over a year ago

telford

How brave.

14years old and strong enough to look death in the eye.

I think its rediculous

Why can't people just accept they are going to die

Its the natural order of life

I don't understand this wanting to cheat death some people have

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

"I think its rediculous

Why can't people just accept they are going to die

Its the natural order of life

I don't understand this wanting to cheat death some people have "

I think it's because most people are so far removed from death that they don't really have to think about it. Human death is hidden in hospitals for the most part (unles you have been to war) and animal death is hidden in abbotoirs and in vetinary surgeries.

I think it's an important part of life, accepting the inevitability and finality of death. It won't be pretty and it will certainly painful. For the most part, you won't want to die, but you will. Theres nothing you can do about it, and if you think about it for long enough, you will realise you wouldn't want to change it anyway.

It gave a child the thought of the chance of a future life she couldn't otherwise hope for.

It gave her mother the (remote) possibility that one day her daughter may live a life she can't have now.

But I doubt it will have any value beyond that.

We're more likely to figure out how to transplant the mind into technology long before we can unfreeze and cure people which will make doing so redundant. Immortals won't need human bodies.

Its like demolition man all over again

Leicester

£50,000 ayear guessamett x how many years!

Who picks up the bill? Saving policy, insurance. The tax payer through the NHS?

» Add a new message to this topic