FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Handmade Christmas pressies - cheap or personal?

Handmade Christmas pressies - cheap or personal?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ee Viante OP   Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I make jewellery. It's quite nice jewellery and people often ask if I sell it.

I make most of the Christmas presents I give, (obviously I don't make things for people who don't wear jewellery), and I try to choose colours and designs that suit each person.

Is this being cheap or is it personal and a nice thing to do?

(Bear in mind that I use quality components, not cheap beads and clasps. It's not unusual for me to use Swarovski crystals and sterling silver or rolled gold findings)

Your thoughts please?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lovely... a handmade gift is always well accepted. I make patchwork things.. cushions.. toys blankets and always seem well recieved x

By *ooking for bbwsCouple  over a year ago

secret garden chilling, always something to do in the garden

"I make jewellery. It's quite nice jewellery and people often ask if I sell it.

I make most of the Christmas presents I give, (obviously I don't make things for people who don't wear jewellery), and I try to choose colours and designs that suit each person.

(Bear in mind that I use quality components, not cheap beads and clasps. It's not unusual for me to use Swarovski crystals and sterling silver or rolled gold findings)

Your thoughts please?"

I think it's great I've just started selling the cards an design with keep calm, take a deep breath, an carry on, hand written an now the customer, wants it keep calm don't from printed. Lol thought it wood be better for a personal so no idea..... good look keep going I wood

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

Personal.

People say "it's the thought that counts" so I'd imagine a lot of thought would go into a handmade gift.

Handmade gift hands down

It's personal

Someone that receives handmade gifts should be honoured for the time effort and thought that went into it;

It's not the size of the wallet but how one uses it

i think it's nice. wouldn't even bother me if it was cheap things used, just the fact that someone has made me something is a kind gesture.

i'm one of those parents who has kept all the kids stuff they made for me.

"Personal.

People say "it's the thought that counts" so I'd imagine a lot of thought would go into a handmade gift."

Yes, I usually spend a while choosing the designs and beads, to suit each person.

Last year I remade one bracelet 3 times because I wasn't happy with it. I'm a perfectionist about it.

"i think it's nice. wouldn't even bother me if it was cheap things used, just the fact that someone has made me something is a kind gesture.

i'm one of those parents who has kept all the kids stuff they made for me. "

Last year a family friend and her 5 year old daughter joined us for Christmas dinner. The daughter has a name with an unusual spelling and can never find gifts with her name on so I took some elastic and some letter beads with me.

To keep her occupied before the food was ready, her mum and I spread the letters out and had her find the letters of her name and then thread them onto the elastic and we tied it off to make a bracelet for her. You've never seen a child so delighted with anything. I think it was the first thing she'd ever had with her name on

"i think it's nice. wouldn't even bother me if it was cheap things used, just the fact that someone has made me something is a kind gesture.

Last year a family friend and her 5 year old daughter joined us for Christmas dinner. The daughter has a name with an unusual spelling and can never find gifts with her name on so I took some elastic and some letter beads with me.

To keep her occupied before the food was ready, her mum and I spread the letters out and had her find the letters of her name and then thread them onto the elastic and we tied it off to make a bracelet for her. You've never seen a child so delighted with anything. I think it was the first thing she'd ever had with her name on "

I do dodle coulour books, patterns for birthday presents, it does two jobs keeps me busy, an my family av this thing bout cutting the wrapping paper off an keeping it for the next person!

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

Think personal gifts are great. And as people have said, they would mean more to me due the time and effort than expensive gift. Jack.

For me something hand made would be the more interesting present. The things I want that I don't have are hideously expensive and quite frankly I earn enough to be buying the expensive things myself. Something where someone had put thought and effort in to it mean much more.

I hate trinkets but the Santa couple my nan painted on porcelain means a lot and always come out for Christmas

A handmade gift is always nice ...it shows you have put some effort into it ...lovely idea

To keep her occupied before the food was ready, her mum and I spread the letters out and had her find the letters of her name and then thread them onto the elastic and we tied it off to make a bracelet for her. You've never seen a child so delighted with anything. I think it was the first thing she'd ever had with her name on "

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Your thoughts please?"

For me it you mean you have gone the extra mile, as anyone can go to a shop and buy something. You have given up your time and thought about what the person might like.

Hand made every time!

For secret Santa I always make a batch of shortbread, always goes down a treat and always costs less than £5.

I have a cousin who always gives handmade candles as gifts. They are always unique and personalised.

By far the best gifts

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman  over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

Definitely a nice thing to do

A gift crafted by the giver has more value than anything that can be bought.....

I think that's lovely. - a personal touch

Kinky

"Definitely a nice thing to do"

Noted, I'll clone my willy and mail it to you with a pot of Nutella.

You'll thank me later...

or not

I generally try to make Christmas presents, it is cheap because I don't have enough money to buy gifts for everyone I need to buy for; so I would rather make something, it is more personal and I put alot of effort into making something personal for people. Yes it may be the cheaper option but I can't afford the other option so it is that or cheap soap kits lol

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

Hand made isn't always the cheap option but I do like to make gifts if I have time and I love to receive something that has been made rather than bought.

Most people have very little spare time and the fact that someone has used theirs to make something personal is special to me.

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman  over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"Definitely a nice thing to do

You'll thank me later...

or not "

Can you stick a photo of your face on the Nutella please,so I can see you when I'm licking it off your cock

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I think it's a lovely idea, especially as you are taking into consideration colours etc

A very lovely gesture.

By *awty MaxWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

If you are creative and have the skills to craft something I think it's a must to make a personalised gift.

Keeping the hand/home-made spirit/skills alive can only be a good thing!

It is much more personal and unique.

And not something the person you are giving it to will expect.

I am a crafter and love making things and love experimenting during the year for new Xmas ideas.

Have fun OP

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

Personal.

But it pretty much depends on how well the item is made. If it is cheap and badly made, then yes it is cheap. But if it is done well, you can tell someone made an effort then it is lovely.

By *he girl with dreadlocksWoman  over a year ago

need to know basis in Wolverhampton

Lovely it shows you took time and thought to create something very personal unique.

Christmas shouldn't be about how much money you spend anyway.

"Definitely a nice thing to do

You'll thank me later...

or not

Can you stick a photo of your face on the Nutella please,so I can see you when I'm licking it off your cock"

hahah you made my day

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Lovely. As kids we made all our own stuff.

One of my friends knitted me a clouche hat for my birthday in fact we all love waiting to see what she knits us.

I know a little boy whose made salt clay animals to give as gifts. Cant wait to get mine

Depends on who is giving and who is receiving... This goes for home made Christmas presents as well as anal!

Yes, if a child makes something personal for a parent or grand parent, that's appreciated.

A lot of people make stuff that they think is wonderful and give it as a present. In truth, one person's wonderful is another person's idea of land filled.

Some of the home made gifts I've had in the past have been nothing more than a waste of room in the wheelie bin.

As Jack Dee once said of a hand knitted jumper he received "Oh that's great, I'm going to keep it for a special occasion... Like decorating"

By *emplarWarriorMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Love them,

Shows somebody cares, that means a lot to me

Handmade gifts are my favorite. I still have stuff friends made for me in junior high.

I think that when you make someone something you are giving them your time and thoughts, which is more valuable than your money.

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

I would love it as it meant that the person was thinking of me to take the time to make me something special

By *orkie321bWoman  over a year ago

Nottingham

I've always found that the people who don't appreciate home made gifts are materialistic. They are only concerned with how much your gift has cost and not what the gift is. In short the kind of person who places more value in cold, hard cash than they do in good friends and family.

"I would love it as it meant that the person was thinking of me to take the time to make me something special "

I need to meet u an get to know u lol wot u doing wed,thur

"Hand made isn't always the cheap option but I do like to make gifts if I have time and I love to receive something that has been made rather than bought.

Most people have very little spare time and the fact that someone has used theirs to make something personal is special to me."

it can coast just as much to make things, an yes it does take time to make things I've ad a great idea for my mate whom lives next door!

Met my mrs at Christmas time and gave her a home made present for Christmas.

Seems like a good idea. My aunt makes high quality things like painted egg ornaments and complex origami.

I'm scrooge this year and working so no pressies

If you have the talent to be able to make well thought out things to give to friends and family its a great thing to be able to do.

Silver and gold did you say OP?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I think a well made handmade item is the best kind of gift. It is personal not cheap.

Not only have you put the thought into the colours, design etc but you have put time into creating it.

Nita

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

Your thoughts please?"

I think it is a lovely idea and very personal and I would be thankful if someone did this for me

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Not at all.

I make stuff for people. Person-specific art

» Add a new message to this topic