FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Shopping for a healthy diet

Shopping for a healthy diet

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ee Viante OP   Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Ok, so we've had a debate about eating healthily and some people have stated they find junk food cheaper than healthy food. Others have disagreed.

I accept it can be possible to shop for healthy food more cheaply than for junk.

However, telling people this isn't going to be much help if they don't know how.

Schools used to teach this sort of thing in Home Economics. Families used to eat together and parents passed the skills of running a kitchen down to their children. These skills are on the decline in modern day life, for various reasons.

To people who know how to shop for healthy eating it can seem obvious but a lot of people genuinely don't know how to start.

Meal planning, working out what to buy for x number of consecutive meals and knowing how long various fresh foods last and how best to store them are learned skills.

I've often seen people criticised for not eating healthily on here. Often it's assumed it's just laziness or greed. Sure, sometimes it is.

But, how often does anyone ask why people don't eat healthily and offer practical, tailored advice to the specific problems involved? Rarely if ever.

Someone posted asking for meal planning advice on here a few days ago and got a few sarcastic responses, nothing helpful.

So, those of you who know how to shop to best effect for healthy food, let's hear your tips on meal planning, healthy eating and running a kitchen efficiently, particularly if you have limited free time and a lot else to manage. How do you fit it in?

If you have particular issues with meal planning, shopping, trying to ensure food isn't wasted or similar, ask and see if someone can offer helpful advice.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

I recently changed my way of eating totally.

I live alone and could rarely be bothered to cook from scratch. A few weeks ago I decided to get into the habit of cooking and to try to do so every day.

It's been a learning curve, even though I have been taught cooking and kitchen management skills way back in the past.

Processed food tends to last longer so living on that needs much more planning than buying fresh.

Buying fresh also, I've found means having to shop more often. I can't manage to do a shop only once every week to ten days. That means it can be more difficult to track what I'm spending overall and I have to pay attention to it.

I now buy decent meat when it's on offer, and freeze what I don't plan to use in the first two days.

I sit down with recipe books at the weekend and plan meals, writing a shopping list as I go.

Some meals have to be early in the week because the veg don't last well. That's something I'm learning as I go along. I've made a few mistakes so far and ended up wasting food.

Last night I got it wrong and ended up with enough stir fry for 8 people.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ok, if someone was on a tight budget id advice them to go down the market towards the end of the day when they give stuff away.

Buy cheap cuts of meat and cook them longer or in a suitable way.

Invest in a slow cooker and hand blender.

All you have to do is roast a ton of veg and add stock and puree it up and you got filling soups for a week

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm not suggesting in all cases parents these days are at fault for treating their children as little gods , but back in my day if I said I didn't like what was on my plate, I was told to eat it or go without...

Marc does all the cooking in our house - which is hard for him since he works about 10-12 hours a day. What he does is look up various recipes that are healthy and vegetarian (because he likes to be healthy and I don't eat meat). Every week we pick two recipes, with low cost ingredients and maybe one high cost item, he cooks the first big meal early in the week, then we eat it for a few days as leftovers. Midway through the week he cooks the second meal, and we repeat the process. The cost is minimal, it's healthy, and it's time conscious.

But then, I think people could usually do better with their health if they just managed their time better. I'm a horrible example because I'm lazy as fuck, but Marc works all the time, I mean constantly, but he makes a point of getting up at 6am to run for an hour, then works from around 7am to 6pm, then we eat a relatively healthy dinner, then he works about 2 more hours and exercises a bit more. It can be done if it's what you want.

"Ok, if someone was on a tight budget id advice them to go down the market towards the end of the day when they give stuff away.

Buy cheap cuts of meat and cook them longer or in a suitable way.

Invest in a slow cooker and hand blender.

All you have to do is roast a ton of veg and add stock and puree it up and you got filling soups for a week"

I dug my slow cooker out of the cupboard a couple of weeks ago

If I have bought too much veg I can chuck it in with some cheap stewing steak, (which I have in the freezer and defrost overnight), and freeze the resulting casserole.

It's saved me wasting veg a couple of times.

"Marc does all the cooking in our house - which is hard for him since he works about 10-12 hours a day. What he does is look up various recipes that are healthy and vegetarian (because he likes to be healthy and I don't eat meat). Every week we pick two recipes, with low cost ingredients and maybe one high cost item, he cooks the first big meal early in the week, then we eat it for a few days as leftovers. Midway through the week he cooks the second meal, and we repeat the process. The cost is minimal, it's healthy, and it's time conscious.

But then, I think people could usually do better with their health if they just managed their time better. I'm a horrible example because I'm lazy as fuck, but Marc works all the time, I mean constantly, but he makes a point of getting up at 6am to run for an hour, then works from around 7am to 6pm, then we eat a relatively healthy dinner, then he works about 2 more hours and exercises a bit more. It can be done if it's what you want."

I agree, time management is a huge issue.

In my case inability to stick to any sort of routine makes it difficult to plan and organise stuff.

I recently saw a big article on Money Saving Expert on foods/meals that can be frozen to help people buy in bulk and cook without waste.

It's obviously information some people want and need.

Always keep thinks like mushrooms and oniond in if you like them can add them to anything.

I have a very hectic life and have 3 children who I have to ensure are well fed too.

For me, planning in advance is one of the best things to do. I don't mean knowing what you're going to eat daily, I know some people that do but I couldn't as I may not fancy it that day. What I mean is doing something like a batch of pasta sauce in one go, it's easy and cheap to do, with plenty of recipes online to follow. Once you've made a batch you can split it into plastic containers and store for another day.

You can do this with various meals too, like spag bol, stew, casserole for example. You can prep it all at night, shove it in a slow cooker and then contain it for another day.

As for the ingridients, I don't see a problem with frozen veg, but if you want fresh then try your local market or aldi. I got 3 pomegranates from aldi last week for 89p, in tesco it's a £1 for one. It was a special offer they had on and tend to change their offers weekly on their veg and fruit.

If you don't own a slow cooker, I'd highly recommend one, you can pick a family sized one up for around £20 in Argos.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I bought a cheap chest freezer from a local selling site. It has been a lifesaver in terms of bulk cooking and buying cheap meats.

I tend to go to the supermarket after 8pm because of work, so I'll buy reduced meat and fish, then just freeze it until I need it.

I bulk cook usually 4 dishes with approx. 4 to 6 portions of each. Chilli, spag bol, stews that kind of thing. That's dinners for a couple of weeks with a bit of veg or rice.

Ooh, one from my mum...

Line a baking tray with sliced onions, layer a few layers of sliced tomatoes over them, to fill the tray up. Bake them (I can't remember for how long but I have it written down somewhere!).

Once they're cooked and soft, whizz them up in a bowl using a hand blender, or in a blender. Divide it up into portions and freeze.

Voilá healthy bolognese sauce just as convenient as a jar and with no nasty additives.

And, if you make a bulk load in summer when tomatoes are cheap and plentiful, it's cheap too.

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 16:27:34]

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 16:27:52]

Bulk everything out with stealth veg....grated carrot and courgette are brilliant in recipes. ...it means you can use less of the expensive meat. In stir fries I'll only use 1 or 2 chicken breasts for 4 of us.

The best cheap protein source is to get tuna tins and if you get the oil version one, you get best of both things.

I don't go out very often n i have my shopping delivered now. My tescos men are my angels but because I shop fortnightly I don't always but fresh. I also stack my fridge items via dates so I know what needs eating first. I've discovered that beef can be used nearly a week past it's well by data aslong as it's kept cold. Tonight's mince has the 9th on its packet. That doesnts work for other meats like chicken fish or pork. Eggs can go one or two days but veg is tricky too especially if it's prepacked. I do by prepacked veg tho cos peeling n cuttin can be differcult for me at times. Spuds keep past their date too n so does bread. oh but ice cream doesn't last in the fridge! Xxx

"[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 16:27:52]"

I do know the basics.

I know many don't, hence the "healthy food is more expensive than junk food" claim.

It can be, but only if you don't shop effectively.

Mince, you can have mince everyday of the week done in a different way

Jacket potatos you couldnt get simpler

"Mince, you can have mince everyday of the week done in a different way

Jacket potatos you couldnt get simpler"

Just as well or I'd have starved when I was a student

By *hoenixandflamesCouple  over a year ago

Stockport

Flames here,

The one thing I have always found is that the "healthy and cheap" option always takes a lot of time... If you time costs nothing, then fair enough.

If you are time rich and money poor, you have little excuse.

My problem was (when I was a single guy) working 80+ hour weeks and just making ends meet, that ready meals from the local Tesco Express on clearance every night was the best solution.

Unfortunately I discovered as a side effect, eating the ready meals that often (like, 6.5 days out of 7) my liver was giving me readings of being an alcoholic...

(Even though I didn't drink more than, say, a bottle of wine a week).

But it's frustrating still for me still being self employed that if I am working late, there's very few healthy meal options out there, unless you spend hours a week prepping.

Which I just don't have (still).

I am lucky I have met Phoenix who does her best to ensure I'm reasonably fed at least once a day lol

"[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 16:27:52]

I do know the basics.

I know many don't, hence the "healthy food is more expensive than junk food" claim.

It can be, but only if you don't shop effectively."

thats why i deleted i realized you werent talking about yourself

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

I buy a chicken, You can get so many meals out of one chicken, including stock for soups. I live alone so don't spend too much on food but still, one chicken can provide me with lunches for a week.

I do know the basics.

It can be, but only if you don't shop effectively."

Accidentally deleted it, "The best cheap protein source is to get tuna tins and if you get the oil version one, you get best of both things" And that is right as one tin cost 1£, you could have a good meal for under 3£ and yeah, it depends how you shop for it, for example, tuna, pasta and veg, cheap as chips.

Well this week

Monday -

Breakfast 2 egg omelette with half a pack of king prawns, 1/4 pepper, half a small onion and a green chilli.

Lunch - bowl of soup lentil and bacon soup

Dinner - 2 pieces of lemon sole. a small baked potato, white cabbage and kale

Tuesday

Breakfast - As on Monday

Lunch - Tomato and Mixed Bean Soup

Dinner - Two pieces of grilled salmon, a small baked potato, 1/3 broccoli and kale

Wednesday

Some muesli, chopped fresh pineapple, 1/2 banana, 2 strawberries, 5 raspberries and 10 blueberries with 1% milk.

Homemade sausage roll

Slow cooked beef stew with 1 potato, 2 carrots, 1 parsnip, 1 Jerusalem artichoke, 1/3 aubergine 1/3 onion a handful of spinach leaves in a beef and tomato purée stock

With the exception of the Jerusalem artichoke and the lemon sole, all value or low cost items

"Flames here,

The one thing I have always found is that the "healthy and cheap" option always takes a lot of time... If you time costs nothing, then fair enough.

If you are time rich and money poor, you have little excuse.

My problem was (when I was a single guy) working 80+ hour weeks and just making ends meet, that ready meals from the local Tesco Express on clearance every night was the best solution.

Unfortunately I discovered as a side effect, eating the ready meals that often (like, 6.5 days out of 7) my liver was giving me readings of being an alcoholic...

(Even though I didn't drink more than, say, a bottle of wine a week).

But it's frustrating still for me still being self employed that if I am working late, there's very few healthy meal options out there, unless you spend hours a week prepping.

Which I just don't have (still).

I am lucky I have met Phoenix who does her best to ensure I'm reasonably fed at least once a day lol

"

Ah, thank you!

This is exactly what I mean by needing to understand the issues people face.

Healthy need not mean taking loads of time.

The virtues of slow cookers have already been extolled. Ten or fifteen minutes of preparation on the morning, less if you buy the veg already chopped up, and dinner will be ready to serve when you get home.

My stir fry last night took half an hour and very little effort.

Making things in batch (slow cooker again!) and freezing so you can defrost them one at a time to reheat can work well.

"Well this week

Monday -

Breakfast 2 egg omelette with half a pack of king prawns, 1/4 pepper, half a small onion and a green chilli.

Tuesday

Breakfast - As on Monday

Dinner - Two pieces of grilled salmon, a small baked potato, 1/3 broccoli and kale

Wednesday

Some muesli, chopped fresh pineapple, 1/2 banana, 2 strawberries, 5 raspberries and 10 blueberries with 1% milk.

Homemade sausage roll

Slow cooked beef stew with 1 potato, 2 carrots, 1 parsnip, 1 Jerusalem artichoke, 1/3 aubergine 1/3 onion a handful of spinach leaves in a beef and tomato purée stock

With the exception of the Jerusalem artichoke and the lemon sole, all value or low cost items "

I also only shop once a week so just choose carefully so I don't waste anything.

I do know the basics.

It can be, but only if you don't shop effectively.thats why i deleted i realized you werent talking about yourself"

I see it was the reply to yours there, was abit confused to whose as I deleted mine too.

Time saving..roast a load of jacket potatoes in the oven at once then freeze in food bags..then voila they only take 4-5 mins in the popty-ping when you want one..and they taste better than one just done from raw in the micro.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Meal planning

Using it to shop from a list.

Portion control (I only ever make ½ recipes of most of the recipes in our pudding club recipe books)

Weigh everything and keep a calorie diary for a week. Better yet a month. We did it for Lent one year, so now I know where the hidden calories are.

Freezing excess for another day

Frozen veg

Never having junk in the house unless you have enough self-control to treat it as a treat (I eat one chunk of Yorkie or Toblerone twice a week)

Lots of tea (most hunger pangs are actually triggered by thirst)

Fast days

Rewards (mine tend to be protein-based rather than carbohydrates)

Making sure you've earned your rewards

Cooking smaller amounts of really good quality stuff

Always cooking from scratch

Finding a way to get past the sugar-crash after a meal (go for a walk, or have a cup of tea)

Practising so much that when you see something on offer you can immediately factor it in to your meals, or simply freeze it

Learn to enjoy your food, dont let it become your enemy.

Ignoring that little voice that keeps coming up with reasons why you can't do something.

Distractions

Read widely and never dismiss other people's views just because they don't look like you, perhaps they once did.

If problems have an emotional trigger, try to address those. (I often wonder whether the NHS would be better to spend more money on CBT)

I could go on all day, but I have a pudding to make

Mr ddc

Frozen veg is also just as good as fresh, in most cases abdgreat if you can't always get to the shops. You can also freeze milk.

I tend to make sure I've got quick meals to make in the week. Saying that, I only have myself to feed so doing it for a family would be much, much harder and take more preparation.

"Well this week

Monday -

Tuesday

Breakfast - As on Monday

Wednesday

Homemade sausage roll

With the exception of the Jerusalem artichoke and the lemon sole, all value or low cost items

I also only shop once a week so just choose carefully so I don't waste anything."

Nothing took more than 40 minutes of my time. Most of the time I was multi-tasking too

I learnt through necessaty, if i didnt learn we would starve. Amazing how quick you can pick up things

Chicken, roast it on a sunday, fricasse it on monday, turn it into soup tuesday

I do know the basics.

It can be, but only if you don't shop effectively.thats why i deleted i realized you werent talking about yourself"

Ah ok.

I made the point on the obesity thread that to address the problem of healthy eating that we need to understand why people don't and what stands in their way, and help with that. This is my attempt.

I'm going through it myself and I'm fortunate that I have been taught. Even so, it's a big lifestyle change.

This is to provide an opportunity for people to discuss ideas and ask for help if they need it.

It's easy to make glib statements like eat healthily, eat less, move more but it might not be that simple for the person trying.

"Weigh everything and keep a calorie diary for a week. Better yet a month. We did it for Lent one year, so now I know where the hidden calories are."

Food diaries are great Very helpful.

"Never having junk in the house unless you have enough self-control to treat it as a treat (I eat one chunk of Yorkie or Toblerone twice a week)

"

Yes and yes!!

I have no self control and an unhealthy love of coca-cola. I just don't buy it. If it's in the house it's there because I'm going to drink it, so I make sure it isn't there.

And I use coffee as my crutch between meals. If I feel hungry when it isn't a meal time, instead of eating I make a pot of coffee and make myself drink a pint of water while I'm waiting for the coffee to be ready.

"Read widely and never dismiss other people's views just because they don't look like you, perhaps they once did."

But also don't think you know everything (or anything) about anyone and what they need just because they look like you used to.

I dont know why they dont get people to go into schools and teach the basics for running a household. Especially with obesity and low income families

"I dont know why they dont get people to go into schools and teach the basics for running a household. Especially with obesity and low income families"

They do. My son has had lessons. He teaches me about nutrition now

Derbyshire

"Never having junk in the house unless you have enough self-control to treat it as a treat (I eat one chunk of Yorkie or Toblerone twice a week)

Yes and yes!!

I have no self control and an unhealthy love of coca-cola. I just don't buy it. If it's in the house it's there because I'm going to drink it, so I make sure it isn't there.

And I use coffee as my crutch between meals. If I feel hungry when it isn't a meal time, instead of eating I make a pot of coffee and make myself drink a pint of water while I'm waiting for the coffee to be ready. "

If you assume that I generally only post in the day while waiting for the kettle to boil, you can generally tell when I'm having a fasting day

It took me ages of brute bloody mindedness when I lost weight (I was a 42/44 waist and topping 18 stone easily) to change how I ate..and I think I did it reasonably cheaply too. a lot of stuff was just cut out altogether so actually that saved a bit of money. I stopped eating most dairy, stopped having butter on bread etc, no cheese..changed milk to blue top so no extra expense there.

I'm lucky in that my old man had three allotments so veg was plentiful for many months of the year..perhaps look at growing a tiny bit of stuff where you can. couple of raised beds if you have a garden or can talk a friend or neighbours into using some of theirs. plus gardening is a bit of added exercise too..win win. you can even grow carrots in bits of old drain pipe stood on their ends..It can be quite easy..search the Web for limited space veg gardens.

also go for walks..you'd be surprised how much free stuff grows in hedges and fields. Berrys of all descriptions, nuts, mushrooms and fruits..All free with the bonus of a walk thrown in

veg I do get from shops is often frozen and is never top end..It does just fine.

meat too you can get relatively cheaply if you opt for frozen. its just not m&s finest hand reared and hand fed by virgins meat is all I suppose. good for filler in stuff..stews and what have you.

ahh..buy a shit hot none stick pan. I fry with no oil at all..even eggs I do with just a bit of water and put a glass lid on the pan and turn the heat low so you can see it cook..They steam lovely so they do and zero oil. I use maybe one litre of cooking oil a year..probably less.

There's probably loads more you can do but off he top of my head

"If problems have an emotional trigger, try to address those. (I often wonder whether the NHS would be better to spend more money on CBT)"

This too. There is virtually no help with emotional eating problems for obese people, unless they can pay for private therapy.

For those with eating disorders that cause them to be underweight, they usually have to end up in hospital before any psychological help is available.

Yes, making psychological help available as part of tackling obesity would definitely help.

It's not really what this thread is about, but it is a valid point.

"I dont know why they dont get people to go into schools and teach the basics for running a household. Especially with obesity and low income families"

A lot of schools offer this service, whether parents turn up or not is a different thing. The one at my children's school was cancelled due to lack of interest.

Another cost/healthy saving method for children would be to make your own chicken nuggets/fish fingers. The kids would also love helping to get them done, so would also be quality time together. No shame on buying the meat from the reduced section either, as it can all be frozen.

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 16:50:42]

"I dont know why they dont get people to go into schools and teach the basics for running a household. Especially with obesity and low income families

They do. My son has had lessons. He teaches me about nutrition now "

Some do and it's a growing trend but it's not sufficiently widespread yet and the standard of teaching varies a lot.

I think another trick is to ask yourself if you can see you keeping this change on in ten years time?

loads of permanent little changes matter more than some huge undertaking your gonna quit on in 24 months time I think.

Once the weight has gone will you still be doing this stuff?

I shop at a few supermarkets to get the best price, I use a rice cooker to make enough rice for the week, I can then season how I like after, I prefer putting chicken in the oven as it's easier less time to pay attention to it, frozen veg is easiest and last longer, fish I get whole and steam or bake. I cook at refrigerate pasta and apparently it's better that way, fresh salmon from morrisons counter is best yum

"I learnt through necessaty, if i didnt learn we would starve. Amazing how quick you can pick up things"

Very true.

These days there's so much convenience food that people tend to live on that instead.

If you look at most of the labels it's shocking what's in it. There's sugar in so much that didn't ought to have sugar in it!

"I think another trick is to ask yourself if you can see you keeping this change on in ten years time?

loads of permanent little changes matter more than some huge undertaking your gonna quit on in 24 months time I think.

Once the weight has gone will you still be doing this stuff? "

I plan to give up cooking and live on biscuits at that point

When i was a kid the only processed ready meals you could get where vesta curries i remember them coming out.

I blame vesta for starting it all

"When i was a kid the only processed ready meals you could get where vesta curries i remember them coming out.

I blame vesta for starting it all "

I remember those too!

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

Merton

Shopping for healthier food believe it or not are cheaper than junk food however junk food are usually easier or quicker to cook etc.

"Shopping for healthier food believe it or not are cheaper than junk food however junk food are usually easier or quicker to cook etc.

"

Ok, give me examples.

Ready meals from Tesco are 3 for £6.

Give me examples of cheaper, healthy alternatives.

It's easy to say "healthy food is cheaper" but for those who don't know how to shop healthily and what they should be buying, it's no help. That's the point of the thread.

Derbyshire

"Read widely and never dismiss other people's views just because they don't look like you, perhaps they once did.

But also don't think you know everything (or anything) about anyone and what they need just because they look like you used to."

This is true, and to go further today:

Just because someone has a gym-fit body, don't presume they don't have body-issues of their own. Let the fact that they use theirs to belittle others give you the strength to demonstrate that you are better than them.

(of course it's easier for me, since I saw the "introductory" thread by his "friend", and thought the whole thing so unusual that I suspected something was brewing...

But on a separate note, it seems I was the only one who noticed the "I struggle with my weight" quote on the other gym-fit thread, so she didn't get any support either.

By *ureTemptationWoman  over a year ago

Off the grid

I hate cooking as it's time consuming and I just don't enjoy it. When it takes you longer to cook than to eat it, it depresses me.

I love green smoothies. My nutribullet has changed my life. It's my primary way of consuming veg as I am a picky eater and struggle with textures. It's mega quick, healthy and easy and fills you up!

Cheap healthy and easy tomato sauce. ...Can use as a base for pizza or meatballs or just on its own with pasta. ..

A tin of chopped tomatoes (35p from most supermarkets), a dash of olive oil (optional) teaspoon of sugar half a teaspoon of salt (again this is to taste and is much less than you'll have in shop bought tomato sauce) basil and a squeeze of tomato puree. Chuck it all in a saucepan and simmer until it's the right consistency. That's cheap and easy and from then you can add veg or maybe add some fried bacon or chorizo or olives. ..whatever you have.

"I have a very hectic life and have 3 children who I have to ensure are well fed too.

For me, planning in advance is one of the best things to do. I don't mean knowing what you're going to eat daily, I know some people that do but I couldn't as I may not fancy it that day. What I mean is doing something like a batch of pasta sauce in one go, it's easy and cheap to do, with plenty of recipes online to follow. Once you've made a batch you can split it into plastic containers and store for another day.

You can do this with various meals too, like spag bol, stew, casserole for example. You can prep it all at night, shove it in a slow cooker and then contain it for another day.

As for the ingridients, I don't see a problem with frozen veg, but if you want fresh then try your local market or aldi. I got 3 pomegranates from aldi last week for 89p, in tesco it's a £1 for one. It was a special offer they had on and tend to change their offers weekly on their veg and fruit.

If you don't own a slow cooker, I'd highly recommend one, you can pick a family sized one up for around £20 in Argos."

Ive just picked up a crockpot for £18 from tesco. Bargain.

"Read widely and never dismiss other people's views just because they don't look like you, perhaps they once did.

But also don't think you know everything (or anything) about anyone and what they need just because they look like you used to.

This is true, and to go further today:

Just because someone has a gym-fit body, don't presume they don't have body-issues of their own. Let the fact that they use theirs to belittle others give you the strength to demonstrate that you are better than them.

(of course it's easier for me, since I saw the "introductory" thread by his "friend", and thought the whole thing so unusual that I suspected something was brewing...

But on a separate note, it seems I was the only one who noticed the "I struggle with my weight" quote on the other gym-fit thread, so she didn't get any support either. "

I've not ready any of the gym fit threads, for various reasons.

If people want and need support, being bitchy and treating others with similar issues as lesser mortals won't help.

If people are actually concerned about the healthy of others and want to help them improve themselves, they should try to understand the problems and be sure their idea of help is actually helpful.

If they want to be pompous, shit stirring idiots, they need a life but let them crack on. If that makes people feel better about tbemselves, nothing anyone else can say is likely to change that level of twisted.

As an addition to not assuming people who don't look like you didn't look like you once, we should also not assume fat people have always been fat, have never been near a gym and know nothing of how to train or eat healthily.

It's easy to assume though, particularly if the assumptions fit with one's own prejudices.

"I hate cooking as it's time consuming and I just don't enjoy it. When it takes you longer to cook than to eat it, it depresses me.

I love green smoothies. My nutribullet has changed my life. It's my primary way of consuming veg as I am a picky eater and struggle with textures. It's mega quick, healthy and easy and fills you up!"

I, too, hate cooking but I'm pushing myself.

I have a Nutribullet but rarely manage to make anything drinkable, sadly. I've made 3 attempts at green smoothies, all using recipes, and every one was foul.

Derbyshire

"I've not ready any of the gym fit threads, for various reasons

"

You missed my point, you were definitely on the first thread I was referring to

By *ureTemptationWoman  over a year ago

Off the grid

"I hate cooking as it's time consuming and I just don't enjoy it. When it takes you longer to cook than to eat it, it depresses me.

I love green smoothies. My nutribullet has changed my life. It's my primary way of consuming veg as I am a picky eater and struggle with textures. It's mega quick, healthy and easy and fills you up!

I have a Nutribullet but rarely manage to make anything drinkable, sadly. I've made 3 attempts at green smoothies, all using recipes, and every one was foul."

I do 50% romaine lettuce, one banana, and frozen mango and frozen cherries.

Banana seems to be essential to make it taste creamy and the frozen fruit chill it and make it drinkable and sweetens it. Apple always seems to make it taste rank. But with my base recipe you can then add in other veg as and when you can tolerate the taste. Broccoli. Carrot, cucumber. Sweet potato. Lots of different stuff. I can't have dairy as I'm intolerant.

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Not meeting

I'm back on Slimming World so the rest of the house in shock at lack of crap in house. It is also quite a bit more expensive as I can't get to the shops when the reduced food is out & I really have to think.

I work full time & have 2 boys who have activities every week night along with puppy training classes so meal times & food vary.

Frank is the most fussy eater in the house!!

I'd invest in dried herbs & spices - cheap & easy flavouring.

I use own brand or smart price stuff where I can like tinned tomatoes, porridge & weetabix but some of it really is vile.

Bulk cooking helps & freeze extra portions.

If making spag bol I do convert some to chilli & bulk out with quorn.

When preparing fresh veg prepare enough for the next meal & put in fridge or use in slow cooker.

Frozen veg is just as good for you as fresh (which can often be picked & vacuum packed in warehouses for months!!)

JG x

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Not meeting

I have a Nutribullet but rarely manage to make anything drinkable, sadly. I've made 3 attempts at green smoothies, all using recipes, and every one was foul."

My friend uses coconut milk in hers

JG x

"Cheap healthy and easy tomato sauce. ...Can use as a base for pizza or meatballs or just on its own with pasta. ..

A tin of chopped tomatoes (35p from most supermarkets), a dash of olive oil (optional) teaspoon of sugar half a teaspoon of salt (again this is to taste and is much less than you'll have in shop bought tomato sauce) basil and a squeeze of tomato puree. Chuck it all in a saucepan and simmer until it's the right consistency. That's cheap and easy and from then you can add veg or maybe add some fried bacon or chorizo or olives. ..whatever you have. "

And we've all been at work/school all day and my 8 year old is making this while i make the meatballs

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I meal prep - if I cook a large chicken, shred it and spend a couple of hours or so in the kitchen I can make several meal variations for a few days and just need to reheat as necessary. Cost effective and time reducing as long as you have a few hours spare a week. I also track what I'm consuming. I remember when I first kept a food diary I was horrified at the amount I was actually eating and made a conscious effort to eat less crap whilst out. I now take fruit out with me and rice cakes. I agree with bulking up dishes - I use lentils, split peas and various beans to do so.

"I meal prep - if I cook a large chicken, shred it and spend a couple of hours or so in the kitchen I can make several meal variations for a few days and just need to reheat as necessary. Cost effective and time reducing as long as you have a few hours spare a week. I also track what I'm consuming. I remember when I first kept a food diary I was horrified at the amount I was actually eating and made a conscious effort to eat less crap whilst out. I now take fruit out with me and rice cakes. I agree with bulking up dishes - I use lentils, split peas and various beans to do so."

i add chickpeas to chilli con carne to bulk it out as well as kidney beans. And they're so cheap

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

When I cook I cook double the amount and freeze for the next time.That way all I have to do is cook the veg. Although this week I cooked a whole lot of veg on Sunday and reheated it to go with this weeks dinners and surprisingly it was ok. Saved a lot of time to just heat everything up.

The likes of meat is always on offer in supermarkets, I got eight dinners worth of meat on a three for a tenner offer this week. Fruit I munch on if I get the munchies ( although I really do need to stop with the grapes as they are addictive )

I am a boring eater and eat a lot of meat and two veg /spag bol etc though and I know that won't suit everyone.

I do have a great recipe that is easy to make AND is a low fat meal but you wouldn't believe it as it tastes lovely.

Brown meatballs in a frying pan while boiling some potatoes.

Dissolve a vegetable stock in hot water, add two tablespoons of onion chutney and a tea spoon of cornflower. Put on the heat to boil then let simmer for a few minutes to thicken.

Put the meatballs in a dish, add cherry tomatoes. Pour the thickened sauce over the meatballs. Slice the potatoes and place them on the top like a hotpot. Sprinkle low fat mozzarella cheese on the top and stick under the grill for the pots to crisp up and the cheese to go all gooey ( if you want the pots really crisped up leave the cheese off until they have browned a bit )

Yummy !

( replacing the sliced pots with new pots with skins left on and cut in half is just as tasty)

"I think another trick is to ask yourself if you can see you keeping this change on in ten years time?

Once the weight has gone will you still be doing this stuff? "

Well said, it's probably better to set small goals gradually as opposed to massive sudden changes.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Low fat spag bol....tinned toms, cherry toms,onion , italian herbs, salt , pepper, mince.

All in same pan, simmer for 20 minutes after browning the mince.

I eat well.. lean meat cuts do cost more.. 5% mince for instance costs a lot more.. but I shop as my local tesco is closing or pop to my little one as it has great offers.

Fruit and veg I normally buy reduced.. but the problem is its always things like pizza on offer or big bags of crisps.. and for many they cant cook from scratch..

I have 4 kids.. 2 have different needs nutriention wise and I am on slimming world... so it is costing me more but its worth it.

However my kids love fruit and veg.. my junk food bill is about 5 quid a week.. thats crisps.. fizzy pop.. 2 pizzas... and some biscuits or chocolate for the kids... but I get that cheap and the rest of the time they have fruit x

Derbyshire

When I lived alone, before I had a freezer, a common meal plan was

Day 1:cook savoury mince, eat half with mash

Day 2: add a chopped mushroom & tin of tomatoes, eat half as spaghetti bol.

Day 3: add tinned kidney beans, chopped pepper & chilli powder, eat the lot with rice or baked potato.

Once I had a freezer I cooked full recipes and froze portions for quick meals on other days.

List for the week and meal plan helps that way you cut out the junk food.

Merton

[Removed by poster at 17/11/16 18:14:42]

Derbyshire

Another common one was make a cheese sauce, while frying an onion with ham & peas, and boiling pasta. Mix together when cooked.

If you multi-task it right, that was my best "cook, eat and wash-up in under 30 minutes" meal.

Merton

"Shopping for healthier food believe it or not are cheaper than junk food however junk food are usually easier or quicker to cook etc.

Ok, give me examples.

It's easy to say "healthy food is cheaper" but for those who don't know how to shop healthily and what they should be buying, it's no help. That's the point of the thread."

Ok, give me examples.

It's easy to say "healthy food is cheaper" but for those who don't know how to shop healthily and what they should be buying, it's no help. That's the point of the thread."

it is all about commitment and lifestyle and not a diet for a shot period also education on your daily consumption. The average brit (off my head) consume over 400grams of carbs a day while the healthier consumption should be around 100 grams.

generally what most people need to do is reduce their carbs intake and increase their veg, fruit, protein and fat (from animals and natural source like nuts). Veg should play a central role in a balanced diet the building block to supporting or destroying your health without. Removing fizzy drinks, reducing sugar, ready meal and the lot stabilise your energy levels and you feel healthier and less stressed

many of today's diet are a quick buck for the next person and are driven by social, emotional, cultural, economy.

Take for example

Ready meals from Tesco are 3 for £6 (consider the long term effect)

or

Home made stir fry+chicken+noodle cheaper than £6 (but washing up)

another example 4 cans of tuna for £3 at morrison or in the rear occasion 8 for £5 could add pasta + pesto or salad sauce

healthy breakfast: Omelette with sliced mushrooms, green peppers, topped with avocado (cheaper than £6 for 2 to 3 single breakfast meal)

Lunch

Sweet Pototoes + Chicken or Steak

Salad

Snack: bars, fruits not Crisps, fat / sugar yogurt

Boring a matter of perspective, I would say 5-6 days eating clean 1-2 days fill you tummy

if you walk into any big chain store and walk across the bakery you could just smell the sugar and process food in the air

in the long run eating healthier food is a the long-term gain the alternative is prescription drug.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok, give me examples.

Three packs of meat ( choice of ) for a tenner, 4 dinners each. 2 cabbage 1 cauli 1 broccali approx £1.90. Frozen sprouts in freezer, gravy already in cupboard. Bag new pots 87p . Works out about £3.25 each meal for two.

Jamie Oliver used to do feed your family for a fiver, I used to love these, but it was 7years ago so it's more like £8 now. You can still access some of the recipes online, he done it through sainsburys. Have a look a some of those, some great ideas on there.i actually think this is when I realised I could cook decent prepared meals on a budget.

"Another common one was make a cheese sauce, while frying an onion with ham & peas, and boiling pasta. Mix together when cooked.

If you multi-task it right, that was my best "cook, eat and wash-up in under 30 minutes" meal."

But don't cook cheese sauce, forget about it and do the dishes instead that hissing sound soon had me thinking oh balls!

I'm eating low-carb and grain free at the moment, and avoiding all additives as far as possible.

For example, I won't use stock cubes or sachets from the supermarket because they're full of rubbish, (the only decent ready-made stock I've found is from Waitrose). I'm avoiding ready made sauces too.

It makes things a bit more complicated.

Tonight's dinner was chicken and 7 types of vegetable, (onion, red cabbage, carrot, broccoli, savoy cabbage, bean sprouts and something else), and a home made chinese sauce made from tamari.

I've finally cracked low-carb, grain-free cheese sauce though

"Ive just picked up a crockpot for £18 from tesco. Bargain. "

Can do desserts in them as well. I've made rice pudding and it tasted the same as the stuff that comes out of a tin.

I've been calorie counting since July and usually bulking things out with veg or salad helps to fill a meal.

I do buy the pre packed salad stuff as the variety in them makes the extra cost worthwhile and if you add in cucumber, peppers, some cheese and a bit of pickle it works out at minimal calories and low cost.

I've also been buying fruit for the fruit bowl at work and Lidl worked out cheaper than Tesco and there have been no comments on quality.

Merton

Don't avoid eating what you like save it for cheat days

Aldi fruit, vegetables and meat is usually very good.

I'm fortunate to have two decent Aldis fairly nearby.

I can't buy everything I want there but they're definitely worth a visit for fresh food and some staples.

I'm told Lidl is similar but I don't have a Lidl nearby.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I just drink vodka

are* usually very good

Merton

Exercises and adequate sleeps goes are long way in staying and maintaining a balanced diet. You don't need the gym just take a walk for 30mins every now and then.

"I just drink vodka "

Doesn't work for a grain-free diet but wine does

Tomorrow is stuffed peppers, cooked in the slow cooker, I think.

Popty ping love that Welsh word

Personally it's difficult enough to drag myself to the gym after a day in work, especially in winter. As a single guy, cooking for one is just boring & yes I am being lazy. Tonight its pizza after spending hours on the M6.

I used to be 4stone heavier, I know what healthy eating is. Its just difficult to follow through. I stand in the Aldi fruit & veg isle looking dazed. One of the bloody mushroom baskets even attacked me last night.

Everyone has vices, everything in moderation is good. But cutting down on sugar and drinking plenty of water is equally as good. Most people have zero idea how much sugar they consume & how its turned to fat.

Derbyshire

If people are worried about their capabilities, a simple cookbook is a real boon.

When I left home I was given my mum's "The Dairy Book of Home Cookery" from 1977. It has even basic stuff like mashed potato, roast potatoes etc. I bought my niece a copy when she left home, and will buy both our kids one too (you can still find secondhand copies quite readily)

Having laughed at the state of mine, our neighbour bought me the updated version as a present.

For a Secret Santa our son found a BBC book "101 Cheap Eats" in a discount shop. It was so good I nicked it & sent him back to buy another copy

"If people are worried about their capabilities, a simple cookbook is a real boon.

When I left home I was given my mum's "The Dairy Book of Home Cookery" from 1977. It has even basic stuff like mashed potato, roast potatoes etc. I bought my niece a copy when she left home, and will buy both our kids one too (you can still find secondhand copies quite readily)

Having laughed at the state of mine, our neighbour bought me the updated version as a present.

For a Secret Santa our son found a BBC book "101 Cheap Eats" in a discount shop. It was so good I nicked it & sent him back to buy another copy

"

Yes we have a good collection of cook books, including second hand and hand me downs. Straight forward stuff, not celebrity chef bollocks

"Personally it's difficult enough to drag myself to the gym after a day in work, especially in winter. As a single guy, cooking for one is just boring & yes I am being lazy. Tonight its pizza after spending hours on the M6.

I used to be 4stone heavier, I know what healthy eating is. Its just difficult to follow through. I stand in the Aldi fruit & veg isle looking dazed. One of the bloody mushroom baskets even attacked me last night.

Everyone has vices, everything in moderation is good. But cutting down on sugar and drinking plenty of water is equally as good. Most people have zero idea how much sugar they consume & how its turned to fat."

Your right....i bet that pizza you're eating tonight is full of sugar!

"

Your right....i bet that pizza you're eating tonight is full of sugar! "

Ha yes but I've left the doughnuts alone today I was referring more into the cumulative effect over time, really adds up.

Other thing I would really advise is a protein breakfast. Takes a while to get into and most would likely not do it 7days, but that helped me with energy levels no end. That and stopped me snacking before lunch.

"

Ha yes but I've left the doughnuts alone today I was referring more into the cumulative effect over time, really adds up.

Other thing I would really advise is a protein breakfast. Takes a while to get into and most would likely not do it 7days, but that helped me with energy levels no end. That and stopped me snacking before lunch."

Oh god, doughnuts, they're my big weakness!

"Personally it's difficult enough to drag myself to the gym after a day in work, especially in winter. As a single guy, cooking for one is just boring & yes I am being lazy. Tonight its pizza after spending hours on the M6.

Everyone has vices, everything in moderation is good. But cutting down on sugar and drinking plenty of water is equally as good. Most people have zero idea how much sugar they consume & how its turned to fat.

Your right....i bet that pizza you're eating tonight is full of sugar! "

You'd be surprised. I've found processed sugar in all sorts of things since I started paying attention.

It depends what you mean by sugar too. There are lots of sugars besides glucose.

Even the natural sugar found in fruit is not necessarily healthy. In moderation it's fine for most people but it's still sugar and acts like sugar in the body.

"

Other thing I would really advise is a protein breakfast. Takes a while to get into and most would likely not do it 7days, but that helped me with energy levels no end. That and stopped me snacking before lunch.

Oh god, doughnuts, they're my big weakness! "

Oh no you didn't! sugary tasty sweet just cooked doughnuts

"

Even the natural sugar found in fruit is not necessarily healthy. In moderation it's fine for most people but it's still sugar and acts like sugar in the body."

Exactly, fruit juices can be terrible! Especially the processed ones. People think they are being healthy and drinking pints of sugar water. I actually gave up on even the natural ones and switched to water, or green tea.

You'd be surprised. I've found processed sugar in all sorts of things since I started paying attention.

It depends what you mean by sugar too. There are lots of sugars besides glucose.

Even the natural sugar found in fruit is not necessarily healthy. In moderation it's fine for most people but it's still sugar and acts like sugar in the body."

Yep that's why fruit smoothies, even home made ones, can be almost as bad as drinking pop in terms of sugar.

"

Oh god, doughnuts, they're my big weakness!

Oh no you didn't! sugary tasty sweet just cooked doughnuts "

It's always someones Birthday in the office Krispy Kreme I swear opened in Telford just for that! This week it's Children in Need, company sanctioned emotional blackmail.

Merton

"

Other thing I would really advise is a protein breakfast. Takes a while to get into and most would likely not do it 7days, but that helped me with energy levels no end. That and stopped me snacking before lunch."

Derbyshire

"

Yes we have a good collection of cook books, including second hand and hand me downs. Straight forward stuff, not celebrity chef bollocks "

When I was first living alone, being able to make a cheap, "proper" meal every day was important to me: it was one of the ways I proved to myself everyday that I was "normal".

Only later did I discover how much girls loved being invited round for dinner like "proper grown-ups"

"

Yes we have a good collection of cook books, including second hand and hand me downs. Straight forward stuff, not celebrity chef bollocks

When I was first living alone, being able to make a cheap, "proper" meal every day was important to me: it was one of the ways I proved to myself everyday that I was "normal".

Only later did I discover how much girls loved being invited round for dinner like "proper grown-ups"

"

My mam taught me to cook when I was 15, as well doing my own laundry and ironing. I had to pick up the slack - mother with a chronic illness, father working abroad, older brothers at uni.

Sorry this is probably sounding like that Monty Python sketch

https://youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo

Derbyshire

"

Sorry this is probably sounding like that Monty Python sketch

https://youtu.be/Xe1a1wHxTyo

"

You could afford "brothers"?

Luxury!