FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Conditioning

Conditioning

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rcticFoxxx OP   Woman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

a ferret.

He licks, then nibbles, then bites my hands. When he nibbles/bites me, I put him in his carry box.

I'd prefer to use positive reinforcement, but I can't think how to when he automatically goes for my hands.

Any tips?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *nFairnessMan  over a year ago

The Four Corners

i remember a tube of paste that they loved when i volunteered at the rspca for 3 years.... they used to go nuts for it. cant remember what its called though.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I just found this

Keep play sessions short and if your ferret is not a fan of being held, avoid this and play with your ferret in other ways. You can train your ferret with treats to allow gentle handling, but never put him down when he bites, hold him for another 5 seconds or so, before putting him down.

By *piritsonfabCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

Putting him away when he bites is probably exactly what we wants.

I'd keep holding him, wear gloves if necessary.... until he settles.

Don't feed him unless you're holding him.

Hereabouts

"i remember a tube of paste that they loved when i volunteered at the rspca for 3 years.... they used to go nuts for it. cant remember what its called though."

Yeah I've seen that. I'm not sure how I'd use it to reward him for not biting me.

He seems to like the box so maybe it'a not the best idea. Especially as he just bit my thumb and drew blood this time...

Hereabouts

"I just found this

Keep play sessions short and if your ferret is not a fan of being held, avoid this and play with your ferret in other ways. You can train your ferret with treats to allow gentle handling, but never put him down when he bites, hold him for another 5 seconds or so, before putting him down."

I saw this, I started scruffing him for 5 seconds and then putting him on the floor. He just ran back up and started trying to bite me again.

It's strange because to begin with he just rubs his front teeth on me, clicking them together.. except on the fleshy bits, he sinks his teeth right into it. If I keep my hand in a fist he doesn't bite but just now I was drinking my tea and he just ran up and wouldn't leave me alone, kept running his teeth on me and then bit me so hard he was hanging off my finger. As far as ferret bites go, it wasn't a bad one. But it's the worst I've had from him

Hereabouts

"Putting him away when he bites is probably exactly what we wants.

I'd keep holding him, wear gloves if necessary.... until he settles.

Don't feed him unless you're holding him. "

If I hold him right, he can't bite me anyway. He's only little. He just got cosy and went to sleep. So I think you might be right about him liking the box..

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Wear gloves until he gets used to being handled.

My friend used to put his in a harness and walk him like a dog. To get to that point he wore gloves for about a month and then handled the ferret without before getting it used to the harness.

Hereabouts

"Wear gloves until he gets used to being handled.

My friend used to put his in a harness and walk him like a dog. To get to that point he wore gloves for about a month and then handled the ferret without before getting it used to the harness.

"

He's fine being handled. I can pick him up no problem. He just has a fascination with my hands. Just my hands, not christos's hands. He will climb all over me to get to my hands.

The big one (I can feed him from the palm of my hand and he will lick tea off my finger) likes to lick my hands sometimes. It must be the salt. Even if I wash them, the little one still goes for me but the big one doesn't. I can't work it out

He's fine being handled. I can pick him up no problem. He just has a fascination with my hands. Just my hands, not christos's hands. He will climb all over me to get to my hands.

The big one (I can feed him from the palm of my hand and he will lick tea off my finger) likes to lick my hands sometimes. It must be the salt. Even if I wash them, the little one still goes for me but the big one doesn't. I can't work it out "

You've got tasty hands. Get Christos to hold your hands in his and see if his scent stops the little ferret from going for your hands.

Hereabouts

The big one (I can feed him from the palm of my hand and he will lick tea off my finger) likes to lick my hands sometimes. It must be the salt. Even if I wash them, the little one still goes for me but the big one doesn't. I can't work it out

You've got tasty hands. Get Christos to hold your hands in his and see if his scent stops the little ferret from going for your hands.

"

He just went for christos's hand now... Idiot ferret

Hereabouts

Update: the glove (red rubber gardening gloves) confused him. He studied it a bit and then walked away.

"Update: the glove (red rubber gardening gloves) confused him. He studied it a bit and then walked away. "

Your hands are safe.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"a ferret.

He licks, then nibbles, then bites my hands. When he nibbles/bites me, I put him in his carry box.

I'd prefer to use positive reinforcement, but I can't think how to when he automatically goes for my hands.

Any tips? "

Some suggestions:

* Chain mail glove

* File down the teeth

* Invest in an alligator

Hereabouts

"a ferret.

Any tips?

Some suggestions:

* Chain mail glove

* File down the teeth

* Invest in an alligator "

Rubber is cheaper

Poor ferret, I can't do that

Where would I keep the alligator?!

Hereabouts

"Update: the glove (red rubber gardening gloves) confused him. He studied it a bit and then walked away.

Your hands are safe.

"

Just 8 and a half years more of wearing gloves then!

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Crate a series of June Whitfield fingerbobs masks

Hereabouts

UPDATE: I fed him out of the palm of my hand today. To begin with, he was taking it out of my hand and wandering off with it, but after a few minutes he stayed to eat with me. I let him eat until it was all gone and he even licked the crumbs out from between my fingers. He didn't bite me!

"UPDATE: I fed him out of the palm of my hand today. To begin with, he was taking it out of my hand and wandering off with it, but after a few minutes he stayed to eat with me. I let him eat until it was all gone and he even licked the crumbs out from between my fingers. He didn't bite me! "

Progress. Well done.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Did you follow the June Whitfield fingerbobs method?

Hereabouts

"UPDATE: I fed him out of the palm of my hand today. To begin with, he was taking it out of my hand and wandering off with it, but after a few minutes he stayed to eat with me. I let him eat until it was all gone and he even licked the crumbs out from between my fingers. He didn't bite me!

Progress. Well done.

"

He bit me, bit christos, won't respond to our dominance, it just makes him annoyed and he wants to bite more. However, he is now eating out of christos' hand again. I don't understand this ferret

Hereabouts

"Did you follow the June Whitfield fingerbobs method?"

I've tried my best but I still can't wrap my head around what you're on about

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"UPDATE: I fed him out of the palm of my hand today. To begin with, he was taking it out of my hand and wandering off with it, but after a few minutes he stayed to eat with me. I let him eat until it was all gone and he even licked the crumbs out from between my fingers. He didn't bite me!

Progress. Well done.

He bit me, bit christos, won't respond to our dominance, it just makes him annoyed and he wants to bite more. However, he is now eating out of christos' hand again. I don't understand this ferret "

Make a pencil case out of him or something and get a new one.

Hereabouts

The little ones are stashing food in my shoes. And the big one broke the water bottle stand to bring the water closer to his cosy dressing gown sleeve nest

All ferrets are strange. Maybe I'll never know why the white one bites me

Hereabouts

Progress. Well done.

He bit me, bit christos, won't respond to our dominance, it just makes him annoyed and he wants to bite more. However, he is now eating out of christos' hand again. I don't understand this ferret

Make a pencil case out of him or something and get a new one.

"

We were just gonna sell him, but I like your idea best

By *mber GamblerCouple  over a year ago

rugby

My ferrets love bare skin. They nip it. But never my hands and face. Usually it's because they want to play. So I play with them.

I use that multi vitamin paste that sends them into a trance when I want to cuddle them. They don't like cuddles otherwise.

If anyone has any advice on how to stop one of them pooing everywhere but the cat litter, I would appreciate it.

rugby

"i remember a tube of paste that they loved when i volunteered at the rspca for 3 years.... they used to go nuts for it. cant remember what its called though."

It's beaphar multi vitamin malt paste. I don't know how any of you survive without it. Ferrets love it. I couldn't cut their nails without it. Or have a cuddle with them. It's really cheap. Please try it if you haven't already people.

Hereabouts

"My ferrets love bare skin. They nip it. But never my hands and face. Usually it's because they want to play. So I play with them.

I use that multi vitamin paste that sends them into a trance when I want to cuddle them. They don't like cuddles otherwise.

If anyone has any advice on how to stop one of them pooing everywhere but the cat litter, I would appreciate it."

I'll give it a go on payday

Umm, I've not kept ferrets very long, and we keep them outdoors but let them in the shed (it's more of a living room) most nights. Mostly they poo in the corner by the door.. but they've always done that of their own accord. We put a dustpan where they poo and now they poo in the dustpan..

Only thing I can suggest is that you move the poo into the litter tray so they can smell it and poo there again.

One thing I've noticed with our ferrets is that when they're in bed, they poo in the hutch rather than in their bigger enclosure. Its almost as though the 'toilet' by the door is the downstairs loo, so they go just outside their bedroom, the upstairs loo.

Even in the shed, if they're getting cosy on the bench, they'll poo just outside my jacket or dressing gown or whatever they're sleeping in, rather than going down to the door.

Hereabouts

The little girl just bit my chin

They've gone home now. The big one can stay though

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Having kept ferrets for 16 years, I may know a little. Ferrets are normally clean animals and will normally poo away from their food and bed area. Although if you have a two storey hutch, only put shavings down the bottom. If you put their food down the bottom at one end probably the end further from their bed. They will then only wee and poo at the other end under their bed. Best to keep the food downstairs as they will knock the bowl down there anyway.

As for biting, if it's a kit it will take a little while to train. You can push your finger into its mouth not to far when he goes to bite and eventually he will reject it as let's be honest no one likes sticking their fingers down their throat. Or you can do it sideways in but pushing it tip first right to the back is most effective. They will stop biting as long as you do this every time. But you must handle them daily it shouldn't take to long. Then you can have your ferret cuddles and keep your fingers in one piece. When they are playful and bouncing around listen for a chuckling noise. This is a sign they want to play, and yes they can play a little rough. Cats toys they like and ping pong balls.

rugby

Thanks for the advice. I've tried all of this. It's mainly the one ferret. He starts and the other two follow what he does. He will even poo in the food bowl!! But never his bed. I think he's a bit screwd up. He's a rescue and extremely tiny. I think it's just something we have to deal with.

» Add a new message to this topic