FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Suggested friend on Facebook

Suggested friend on Facebook

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So I've just been on the Facebook app and in the suggested friend I've noticed 3 or 4 people I recognise on here. I don't use any other app to communicate with people so the only way Facebook collected the data is by them snooping on me on chrome. Oooorr is it just a huge coincidence??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Do you have them on your phone or in whatsapp

Then you will be suggested

Nope I don't use WhatsApp and only spoke to people on here using the chrome Web browser.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Could just be localish to where you are at the time

If noticed this in the past too. Even people who I've never swapped numbers with ...

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

Does Facebook know your phone number?

"If noticed this in the past too. Even people who I've never swapped numbers with ..."

They could also be a member of a group you are on selling pages ect x

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Mold

Then I'd suggest you all check your FB privacy settings

Yeah I was wondering that, it just seemed like the people being suggested totally shifted though from the usual friend of friends to loads of middle aged guys and the odd woman. The people I've recognised are local women or women from couple which is a bit of a worry for them.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It might be one of those "6 degrees of separation" type thingys. I don't use social media as I find it intrusive.

I've never had that. I don't use the Facebook app on my phone though (just the website instead), it doesn't have access to my contacts, I use a different email address for this site which I don't use for anything else and I don't use chrome. Maybe try these things and see if it stops them popping up?

[Removed by poster at 13/11/16 09:07:50]

All my settings are at their strictest on Facebook, I use a separate email and even go on here in incognito mode on chrome. I just find it a little creepy that they extract so much data from all avenues, I was even getting swinging club adverts the other day on there. I think the best answer us to delete the app. But like I said if it is linked it just worries me that there's people on here without a clue that they're being suggested on there

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"I've never had that. I don't use the Facebook app on my phone though (just the website instead), it doesn't have access to my contacts, I use a different email address for this site which I don't use for anything else and I don't use chrome. Maybe try these things and see if it stops them popping up? "

I do all of that but use chrome. I'm suddenly getting people from here popping up on Facebook and not happy about it at all. I do use Whatsapp but have unchecked the link with fb so it should not bloody happen.

"All my settings are at their strictest on Facebook, I use a separate email and even go on here in incognito mode on chrome. I just find it a little creepy that they extract so much data from all avenues, I was even getting swinging club adverts the other day on there. I think the best answer us to delete the app. But like I said if it is linked it just worries me that there's people on here without a clue that they're being suggested on there "

What I find interesting is how Facebook look at their 'customers'. To them a customer is someone that pays them, as we are simply free users, we aren't a customer so simply a data mine for them to use.

Check your settings and be careful what apps you use etc. Just using incognito mode means little as the footprint of your usage still remains on the sites you use etc.

By *MaleMan  over a year ago

The Facebook mobile app (fbm) looks/sniffs/mines your saved phone contacts list and cross checks. If it spots anyone in that list who's also got facebook mobile app it assumes the obvious - that you know each other so makes the friend suggestions many of us see on both fbm and non fbm log on's.

You might have never met, never phone called, never text each other, only exchanged, only one person stored the others number. Regardless fbm will do it's thing using the contacts list on that device.

If the phone & number you have FB mobile installed on is the one you use for swinging contact then thats how it will be. Among all the random not a clue who they are people it friend suggests some will be direct friends of friends of friends and some will be fabbers.

For anyone bothered for obvious discretion & personal reasons;

- only use a phone/devide for contacts from here thats NOT got the facebook mobile app on it.

- dont store numbers from here in the contacts list of any phone/device with facebook mobile app on it.

- uninstall the facebook mobile app

However once FB mobile has mined your contacts list it might be too late. I dont believe the latter uninstall sorts it out as it didnt seem to do so for a fem friend.

Beyond there all you can do is private up all aspects of your facebook to everyone but friends or friends & friends of friends.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"The Facebook mobile app (fbm) looks/sniffs/mines your saved phone contacts list and cross checks. If it spots anyone in that list who's also got facebook mobile app it assumes the obvious - that you know each other so makes the friend suggestions many of us see on both fbm and non fbm log on's.

You might have never met, never phone called, never text each other, only exchanged, only one person stored the others number. Regardless fbm will do it's thing using the contacts list on that device.

If the phone & number you have FB mobile installed on is the one you use for swinging contact then thats how it will be. Among all the random not a clue who they are people it friend suggests some will be direct friends of friends of friends and some will be fabbers.

- only use a phone/devide for contacts from here thats NOT got the facebook mobile app on it.

- dont store numbers from here in the contacts list of any phone/device with facebook mobile app on it.

However once FB mobile has mined your contacts list it might be too late. I dont believe the latter uninstall sorts it out as it didnt seem to do so for a fem friend

"

I think that might be my issue, I don't have the app on my phone anymore or the phone number on my fb, and my whatsapp has permission denied.

If you you chat to fab friends on whatsapp and your phone number is registered on your Facebook account,then yes those you cat to on whatsapp will show as suggested friends in Facebook . Just delete your number off Facebook account

I don't have WhatsApp or my number on Facebook I literally have Facebook at its most private and go on here on chrome in incognito mode and they still come up.

By *MaleMan  over a year ago

"The Facebook mobile app (fbm) looks/sniffs/mines your saved phone contacts list and cross checks. If it spots anyone in that list who's also got facebook mobile app it assumes the obvious - that you know each other so makes the friend suggestions many of us see on both fbm and non fbm log on's.

However once FB mobile has mined your contacts list it might be too late. I dont believe the latter uninstall sorts it out as it didnt seem to do so for a fem friend

I think that might be my issue, I don't have the app on my phone anymore or the phone number on my fb, and my whatsapp has permission denied."

You dont even have entered a phone number against your facebook account for what I've described above to occur. By installing facebook mobile app it susses all that out itself altho it doesnt populate the phone number field in your account profile with it.

Google is another one people need to be careful of. There's used to be a tracker/location feature in it and a location map. Whenever you access your google mail (gmail) it worked what rough location from and put a marker on a map. A publicly accessible map with a mass of historical markers that could be seen by anyone who checked your google profile, i.e whoever you use google to communicate with. Thankfully you could private up or stop that feature and also delete location history.

A few years ago a frined of a friend in the pub joked that I get around a bit. After wondering how they knew a convo ensued and I discovered this map against my google profile. Thankfully I'm away with work alot but there we're a few locations on it certainly not connected to work, vanilla friends or family

» Add a new message to this topic