FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Do dreams have a purpose?

Do dreams have a purpose?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"We all intuitively know what a dream is, but you’ll be surprised to learn there’s no universally accepted definition of dreaming. One fairly safe catch-all is “all perceptions, thoughts, or emotions experienced during sleep." In contrast to an activation-synthesis model, which views dreams as epiphenomena—a simple by-product of neural processes in sleep—other scientists have suggested that dreams serve an important function. As usual in psychology, there are lots of different ideas about what this function could be. Sigmund Freud’s suggestion that dreams express forbidden desires is of course the most famous of these, but there are lots of other theories about what dreams might do, many with more empirical support than the Freudian view. For example, the threat simulation hypothesis suggests that dreams may provide a sort of virtual reality simulation in which we can rehearse threatening situations, even if we don’t remember the dreams. Presumably, this rehearsal would lead to better real-life responses, so the rehearsal is adaptive. Evidence supporting this comes from the large proportion of dreams which include a threatening situation (more than 70 percent in some studies) and the fact that this percentage is much higher than the incidence of threats in the dreamer’s actual daytime life. Furthermore, studies of children in two different areas of Palestine show that those who live in a more threatening environment also have a much higher incidence of threat in their dreams. Reactions to these threats are almost always relevant and sensible, so the rehearsal (if that’s what it is) clearly involves plausible solutions, again suggesting that they provide a kind of valid simulation of potential real-life scenarios.

Another suggestion is that dreams influence the way you feel the next day, either in terms of mood or more basic bodily states. Forcing people to remember the nastier dreams from their REM sleep definitely puts them in a foul mood, and nightmares (defined as very negative dreams which can wake you up) may even lead to ongoing mood problems. On the other hand, there is also evidence that dreams could help to regulate long-term mood. For instance, a study of dreams in divorced women showed that those who dreamed about their ex-husbands more often were better adapted to the divorce. Amazingly enough, dreams also seem able to influence physiological state: One study showed that people who were deprived of water before they slept, but then drank in their dreams, felt less thirsty when they woke up."

(Excerpt from The Secret World of Sleep: The Surprising Science of the Mind at Rest, by Penelope A. Lewis)

So forum: Do you ever have lucid dreams? Do dreams serve a purpose?

All I have to do is dream ~ Everly Brothers

https://youtu.be/tbU3zdAgiX8

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Possibly, still can't fully grasp the concept but when I do have dreams theyre usually wierd as fuck

Since I started meditating, my dreams are pretty much every night and so vivid that I confuse what happens in them to what happens in my actual life.

I think they have a multitude of purposes.. sometimes its where we sort through unconsious thoughts or fears... other times its almost just like our own way to let go...

Of course there are many that believe dreaming about certain things mean something and in some ways I believe that..

For instance I have a reoccurring dream I have when I am worried and it features many aspects that as a psychologist I would say " aha.. that shows your subconscious worries about..*insert worry here*

But then I think.. are those images in my dream because I know they are a sign and I know Im worried about that...

It could go around in circles forever...

My logical mind and my spiritual mind have differing views on dreams but I do believe they have purpose

I guess it depends on how you view dreams, you seem to be looking from a scientific POV, I'd look from a spiritual POV, maybe both ways are wrong, maybe both are right, I guess only time will tell

I rarely dream. Otherwise, if I dream, I rarely remember them...

I'm not sure whether dreams have a purpose. However if we imbue the dream with meaning we create a purpose for it. If I catch that moment when I start dreaming before I fall into a deep sleep I dream lucidly. Often signalled by a lord rushing in my ears. As such I then can take control of my dream and that can be exhilarating, Does it have a purpose beyond that? I don't think so.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Hereford

Do porpoises have a dream?

I think it's more simple. Humans need sleep, so Dreaming is a way of encouraging sleep. We enjoy dreams after all.

Not sure where nightmares come in this, although personally the few I've had excite me.

""We all intuitively know what a dream is, but you’ll be surprised to learn there’s no universally accepted definition of dreaming. One fairly safe catch-all is “all perceptions, thoughts, or emotions experienced during sleep." In contrast to an activation-synthesis model, which views dreams as epiphenomena—a simple by-product of neural processes in sleep—other scientists have suggested that dreams serve an important function. As usual in psychology, there are lots of different ideas about what this function could be. Sigmund Freud’s suggestion that dreams express forbidden desires is of course the most famous of these, but there are lots of other theories about what dreams might do, many with more empirical support than the Freudian view. For example, the threat simulation hypothesis suggests that dreams may provide a sort of virtual reality simulation in which we can rehearse threatening situations, even if we don’t remember the dreams. Presumably, this rehearsal would lead to better real-life responses, so the rehearsal is adaptive. Evidence supporting this comes from the large proportion of dreams which include a threatening situation (more than 70 percent in some studies) and the fact that this percentage is much higher than the incidence of threats in the dreamer’s actual daytime life. Furthermore, studies of children in two different areas of Palestine show that those who live in a more threatening environment also have a much higher incidence of threat in their dreams. Reactions to these threats are almost always relevant and sensible, so the rehearsal (if that’s what it is) clearly involves plausible solutions, again suggesting that they provide a kind of valid simulation of potential real-life scenarios.

Another suggestion is that dreams influence the way you feel the next day, either in terms of mood or more basic bodily states. Forcing people to remember the nastier dreams from their REM sleep definitely puts them in a foul mood, and nightmares (defined as very negative dreams which can wake you up) may even lead to ongoing mood problems. On the other hand, there is also evidence that dreams could help to regulate long-term mood. For instance, a study of dreams in divorced women showed that those who dreamed about their ex-husbands more often were better adapted to the divorce. Amazingly enough, dreams also seem able to influence physiological state: One study showed that people who were deprived of water before they slept, but then drank in their dreams, felt less thirsty when they woke up."

(Excerpt from The Secret World of Sleep: The Surprising Science of the Mind at Rest, by Penelope A. Lewis)

https://youtu.be/tbU3zdAgiX8"

Have you ever read any Jung, he loves analysing dreams and their meaning.

Also, and more current, Charlie Morley.

Have been reading and practicing for a few years, can only say I've achieved lucidity on a handful of occasions, but when I have it has been an incredible experience, very cleansing of my mind, bringing clarity to some elements on my life that had been on my mind.

It's powerful stuff

"Possibly, still can't fully grasp the concept but when I do have dreams theyre usually wierd as fuck"

Maybe you're preparing and rehearsing some future weird stuff!!?

"Since I started meditating, my dreams are pretty much every night and so vivid that I confuse what happens in them to what happens in my actual life. "

Are you really here posting? Or are we the dream...?!

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I have this dream from when I was little I dream that there are two doors one with heaven and one with hell..I know when something bad is about to happen if I choose the hell door..weird as fuck really

I also fell asleep this afternoon and dreamt I was having a conversation with the ex...it was just weird

By *rcticFoxxxWoman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

I once had a dream that Prince William was my boyfriend and we were being chased by a big cat, I think it was a puma or something. And at some point we all turned into babies except William and he rescued us in a yellow helicopter even though he had been mauled by a big cat..

So if I'm ever threatened by a large cat, I should call Prince William

By *eliz NelsonMan  over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

I rarely recall my dreams, but when I have they seemed significant..

I cannot recall the link but recent research suggests that the brain is actually more active when we are asleep...the assumption being that we are 'making sense and order' from activities/interactions

"I think they have a multitude of purposes.. sometimes its where we sort through unconsious thoughts or fears... other times its almost just like our own way to let go...

Of course there are many that believe dreaming about certain things mean something and in some ways I believe that..

For instance I have a reoccurring dream I have when I am worried and it features many aspects that as a psychologist I would say " aha.. that shows your subconscious worries about..*insert worry here*

But then I think.. are those images in my dream because I know they are a sign and I know Im worried about that...

It could go around in circles forever...

My logical mind and my spiritual mind have differing views on dreams but I do believe they have purpose "

Yes, I agree with you here -- I'm not really of the mind that dream symbolism is as neat and tidy as often made out -- but I do find it interesting that there are certain dreams that people commonly have (that aren't typical shared experiences) -- it is odd stuff!

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I once dreamt I was shot in the head by the mafia in a back of a car

This morning's dream..... cycling quickly through some bendy lanes, lots of fun! Then around a bend a tiger was laying in the road! I quickly went up the driveway of a large house to hide. I was treated to tea by the owners while I contacted the police about the tiger. They didn't believe me.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I have dreams that, when I describe them to people, I'm told are really weird.

I've had premonition type dreams and the things have happened.

I've had specific tangible problems to solve and have had the solution come to me in a dream.

I guess dreams are a way of your mind having a party of its own when you are sleep

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

I once had a dream where I got wet

Let's say I had to clear up in the morning

"I guess it depends on how you view dreams, you seem to be looking from a scientific POV, I'd look from a spiritual POV, maybe both ways are wrong, maybe both are right, I guess only time will tell "

True -- just to clarify I was reading a specific article that happened to be scientific.

"I rarely dream. Otherwise, if I dream, I rarely remember them..."

I wonder what that indicates?

By *ogerNesszonesMan  over a year ago

Northern England

I recently listened to a really interesting documentary on "Lucid Dreams" whereby an 19C French Aristocrat Marie-Jean-Léon, Marquis d'Hervey de Saint Denys describes his own experiences of lucid dreaming, and proposes that it is possible for anyone to learn to dream consciously.

Fascinating stuff!

It's still available on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07vkf71

"I'm not sure whether dreams have a purpose. However if we imbue the dream with meaning we create a purpose for it. If I catch that moment when I start dreaming before I fall into a deep sleep I dream lucidly. Often signalled by a lord rushing in my ears. As such I then can take control of my dream and that can be exhilarating, Does it have a purpose beyond that? I don't think so."

"Do porpoises have a dream?"

That made me chortle!

By *adystephanieTV/TS  over a year ago

glos

dreams are just passages or images from your normal dn ay to day life that are re-engineered or contorted, you may wish your dreams were true but if you lived your life in accordance with your dreams the truth is you may be sectioned

"I think it's more simple. Humans need sleep, so Dreaming is a way of encouraging sleep. We enjoy dreams after all.

Not sure where nightmares come in this, although personally the few I've had excite me."

By *ightfall79Man  over a year ago

Dunbartonshire

I've had dreams where things have happened and a few months later I have seen something that was in my dream.

Also have a recurring dreams of being in a war , and end up on top of a multi storey building. The building is being shelled and begins to sway side to side.

""We all intuitively know what a dream is, but you’ll be surprised to learn there’s no universally accepted definition of dreaming. One fairly safe catch-all is “all perceptions, thoughts, or emotions experienced during sleep." In contrast to an activation-synthesis model, which views dreams as epiphenomena—a simple by-product of neural processes in sleep—other scientists have suggested that dreams serve an important function. As usual in psychology, there are lots of different ideas about what this function could be. Sigmund Freud’s suggestion that dreams express forbidden desires is of course the most famous of these, but there are lots of other theories about what dreams might do, many with more empirical support than the Freudian view. For example, the threat simulation hypothesis suggests that dreams may provide a sort of virtual reality simulation in which we can rehearse threatening situations, even if we don’t remember the dreams. Presumably, this rehearsal would lead to better real-life responses, so the rehearsal is adaptive. Evidence supporting this comes from the large proportion of dreams which include a threatening situation (more than 70 percent in some studies) and the fact that this percentage is much higher than the incidence of threats in the dreamer’s actual daytime life. Furthermore, studies of children in two different areas of Palestine show that those who live in a more threatening environment also have a much higher incidence of threat in their dreams. Reactions to these threats are almost always relevant and sensible, so the rehearsal (if that’s what it is) clearly involves plausible solutions, again suggesting that they provide a kind of valid simulation of potential real-life scenarios.

https://youtu.be/tbU3zdAgiX8

Have you ever read any Jung, he loves analysing dreams and their meaning.

Also, and more current, Charlie Morley.

Have been reading and practicing for a few years, can only say I've achieved lucidity on a handful of occasions, but when I have it has been an incredible experience, very cleansing of my mind, bringing clarity to some elements on my life that had been on my mind.

It's powerful stuff"

I haven't read much on dreams to be honest. I have a hesitancy regarding the over prescriptive definitions that are often made in dream symbol type writing (I perhaps liked the more research basis and scientific approach of the article I was reading which was longer than the excerpt provided) and have perhaps unfairly thought it all a little Cosmoplitan magazine "dream this and it means get a new job"!!

But on reading this, thought it would be interesting to hear others thoughts.

I will, however follow up on those suggestions -- thank you.

I killed Freddie Kruger in a dream once. Turned him into a Transformer and ripped his face off.

Dream badass me

*drops the mic*

"I have this dream from when I was little I dream that there are two doors one with heaven and one with hell..I know when something bad is about to happen if I choose the hell door..weird as fuck really

I also fell asleep this afternoon and dreamt I was having a conversation with the ex...it was just weird "

I've some odd recurring dreams!

"I once had a dream that Prince William was my boyfriend and we were being chased by a big cat, I think it was a puma or something. And at some point we all turned into babies except William and he rescued us in a yellow helicopter even though he had been mauled by a big cat..

So if I'm ever threatened by a large cat, I should call Prince William "

True story!

"I rarely recall my dreams, but when I have they seemed significant..

I cannot recall the link but recent research suggests that the brain is actually more active when we are asleep...the assumption being that we are 'making sense and order' from activities/interactions"

Yes, this has been my general view of dreams to date.

"I once dreamt I was shot in the head by the mafia in a back of a car "

" This morning's dream..... cycling quickly through some bendy lanes, lots of fun! Then around a bend a tiger was laying in the road! I quickly went up the driveway of a large house to hide. I was treated to tea by the owners while I contacted the police about the tiger. They didn't believe me. "

Now I'm thinking about the children's book The Tiger Who Came To Tea!!

"I have dreams that, when I describe them to people, I'm told are really weird.

I've had premonition type dreams and the things have happened.

I've had specific tangible problems to solve and have had the solution come to me in a dream.

I guess dreams are a way of your mind having a party of its own when you are sleep "

Love that idea! My mind having a party!

"I once had a dream where I got wet

Let's say I had to clear up in the morning "

And there it is.....

I do have a recurring one but most of the detail is very vague. The only bit that sticks out is that I end up having to run to catch up with people but I just can't get going no matter how much I will myself on

"I recently listened to a really interesting documentary on "Lucid Dreams" whereby an 19C French Aristocrat Marie-Jean-Léon, Marquis d'Hervey de Saint Denys describes his own experiences of lucid dreaming, and proposes that it is possible for anyone to learn to dream consciously.

"

Oh fabulous! Thanks, I'll check that out

"dreams are just passages or images from your normal dn ay to day life that are re-engineered or contorted, you may wish your dreams were true but if you lived your life in accordance with your dreams the truth is you may be sectioned "

"I've had dreams where things have happened and a few months later I have seen something that was in my dream.

Also have a recurring dreams of being in a war , and end up on top of a multi storey building. The building is being shelled and begins to sway side to side.

"

"I killed Freddie Kruger in a dream once. Turned him into a Transformer and ripped his face off.

Dream badass me

*drops the mic*"

Hahaha!

I think behind every dream there is a meaning. But then I think that because I'm a very spiritual person.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Lucid dreams can be interesting.

"I think behind every dream there is a meaning. But then I think that because I'm a very spiritual person. "

"Lucid dreams can be interesting. "

And reality can oft be a waking nightmare!

I had a dream that One Direction beat me up on a London bus recently. The old fashioned double-decker type. Still not sure what that was about?

"I had a dream that One Direction beat me up on a London bus recently. The old fashioned double-decker type. Still not sure what that was about? "

Preparation for going into the politics forum?

I tend to dream very vivid and interesting dreams, usually in colour and I can often influence the direction of them, as a child I used to have very vivid nightmares but as I got older I could change the direction of them to stop them being bad, quite how I haven't a clue though

i think we dream because our brain is still functioning while we sleep. sometimes there is no complicated explaination.

"I tend to dream very vivid and interesting dreams, usually in colour and I can often influence the direction of them, as a child I used to have very vivid nightmares but as I got older I could change the direction of them to stop them being bad, quite how I haven't a clue though "

Note to self; punctuation helps

I had a dream that One Direction beat me up on a London bus recently. The old fashioned double-decker type. Still not sure what that was about?

I used to have very violent dreams when I was in my 20's.

Of being killed. They weren't nightmares though. I'd accepted in my dream that I was going to be killed.

"i think we dream because our brain is still functioning while we sleep. sometimes there is no complicated explaination."

That's very true, the function is the brain storing memories and feelings from the day, however bland functionality is only one aspect.

There are many things that can be dismissed and I think if we fail to see the world as a place of wonder then bland functionality is all that we see.

"i think we dream because our brain is still functioning while we sleep. sometimes there is no complicated explaination."

"I tend to dream very vivid and interesting dreams, usually in colour and I can often influence the direction of them, as a child I used to have very vivid nightmares but as I got older I could change the direction of them to stop them being bad, quite how I haven't a clue though

Note to self; punctuation helps "

"I had a dream that One Direction beat me up on a London bus recently. The old fashioned double-decker type. Still not sure what that was about? "

Déjà vu - I've already responded to this!

"I used to have very violent dreams when I was in my 20's.

Of being killed. They weren't nightmares though. I'd accepted in my dream that I was going to be killed."

Scary!

"i think we dream because our brain is still functioning while we sleep. sometimes there is no complicated explaination.

That's very true, the function is the brain storing memories and feelings from the day, however bland functionality is only one aspect.

There are many things that can be dismissed and I think if we fail to see the world as a place of wonder then bland functionality is all that we see. "

I like and hope that there's more to it.

I dream most nights.

If I'm stressed or worried about something I have the same dream it's never changed in the last 10 years it just like goes to the next step.

It's also mixed with sleep paralysis where I think I'm awake but I'm not.

I can have 'that' dream 4/5 times in the same night each time it goes a step further.

It got so bad last year I was given sleeping pills as wasn't sleeping and was too scared to try going back to sleep.

I guess they broke the cycle. I've not had 'that' dream for 10 months now

Has anyone experience Astro travel in their sleep?

"I dream most nights.

If I'm stressed or worried about something I have the same dream it's never changed in the last 10 years it just like goes to the next step.

I can have 'that' dream 4/5 times in the same night each time it goes a step further.

It got so bad last year I was given sleeping pills as wasn't sleeping and was too scared to try going back to sleep.

I guess they broke the cycle. I've not had 'that' dream for 10 months now "

Oh and I hope it stays away.

"Has anyone experience Astro travel in their sleep?"

No -- can you explain more what that is?

"I had a dream that One Direction beat me up on a London bus recently. The old fashioned double-decker type. Still not sure what that was about?

Preparation for going into the politics forum?"

Haha. No, some of the contributors there are more Like NO DIRECTION lol

By *uthTVDerbysTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

We are ultimately but machines. And dreaming is the subconscious process of the resolution of issues, sights and problems we have experienced through the day. That's all. No mystery. Dogs and cats do it. Educated fleas do it. Let's do it. Let's Er ... Oh I dunno zzzzzzz

"I had a dream that One Direction beat me up on a London bus recently. The old fashioned double-decker type. Still not sure what that was about?

Déjà vu - I've already responded to this! "

OMFG My phone!

I used to struggle getting to sleep so I used to read while on my side and no ally fell asleep that way. Frequently I used to dream that I was trapped or couldn't raise my arms to defend myself while being attacked and everytime it was because I was laying on my arm and it had gone to "sleep". Believe a lot of dreams are the mind interpreting what the body's senses are experiencing. Experiments have shown this, such as someone in REM and as they are a soft water spray is sprayed on them. When immediately awoken they say they were having dreams about water experiences in their life, boat trips etc.

I think it is simply lucid dreaming. But my lucid dreaming experiences can be described as astral travelling. I just choose not to call it that...

"We are ultimately but machines. And dreaming is the subconscious process of the resolution of issues, sights and problems we have experienced through the day. That's all. No mystery. Dogs and cats do it. Educated fleas do it. Let's do it. Let's Er ... Oh I dunno zzzzzzz "

Fall in

"I used to struggle getting to sleep so I used to read while on my side and no ally fell asleep that way. Frequently I used to dream that I was trapped or couldn't raise my arms to defend myself while being attacked and everytime it was because I was laying on my arm and it had gone to "sleep". Believe a lot of dreams are the mind interpreting what the body's senses are experiencing. Experiments have shown this, such as someone in REM and as they are a soft water spray is sprayed on them. When immediately awoken they say they were having dreams about water experiences in their life, boat trips etc. "

"Has anyone experience Astro travel in their sleep?

I think it is simply lucid dreaming. But my lucid dreaming experiences can be described as astral travelling. I just choose not to call it that..."

Oh okay.

no, but i dissociate easily and when i'm falling asleep i feel like i'm floating/rising out of my body. it feels great.

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Interesting thread. I used to have the same recurring dream and it used to really disturb me. Glad I don't have it anymore. I do know if I have an issue I tend to process it overnight and have some answers or clarity by the morning. Don't recall dreaming to get there but my brain is partying through the topic on my behalf. Brains are brill

"Interesting thread. I used to have the same recurring dream and it used to really disturb me. Glad I don't have it anymore. I do know if I have an issue I tend to process it overnight and have some answers or clarity by the morning. Don't recall dreaming to get there but my brain is partying through the topic on my behalf. Brains are brill "

Brains are indeed brill

no, but i dissociate easily and when i'm falling asleep i feel like i'm floating/rising out of my body. it feels great."

It's exactly this

Our spirit/soul leaves our body when we are sleeping and travels to other dimensions be it the future or others.

Do you ever get dejavu feeling?

Where you got to a place you know you have never been but somehow it very familiar but yet you know you've never been.

Or it could be a conversation your having and you thing hey I'm sure I've said this and everything is familiar but you know you've never had this conversation with this person

Or you do something and yet know you've never done it?

Well that because you have Astro travelled

Sorry I've not explained it well

no, but i dissociate easily and when i'm falling asleep i feel like i'm floating/rising out of my body. it feels great.

It's exactly this

Our spirit/soul leaves our body when we are sleeping and travels to other dimensions be it the future or others.

Where you got to a place you know you have never been but somehow it very familiar but yet you know you've never been.

Or it could be a conversation your having and you thing hey I'm sure I've said this and everything is familiar but you know you've never had this conversation with this person

Sorry I've not explained it well"

No, I think you've provided a clear explanation there -- thank you. I've definitely felt that been here before feeling, but not thought much further about it. I shall now try and be more mindful, and see what happens! I'm hoping for some good dreams tonight based on all of this!

Thank you for sharing

It's exactly this

Sorry I've not explained it well

No, I think you've provided a clear explanation there -- thank you. I've definitely felt that been here before feeling, but not thought much further about it. I shall now try and be more mindful, and see what happens! I'm hoping for some good dreams tonight based on all of this!

Thank you for sharing "

Your welcome

Loads more info on the internet about it

I never knew about any of it until my friend who is a medium explained it to me. Dreams, spirits, afterlife etc all fascinate me and I'm a big believer in it all

It's exactly this

Sorry I've not explained it well"

once i'm asleep i don't go anywhere, just in those few minutes while i'm falling asleep i do. it feels really relaxing and nice.

when i was young i used to go to new places with my relatives and feel like i'd seen parts of that place in a dream. but the brain is very complicated, i'm sure there's a logical explanation for this (especially as i dissociate). not really had dreams for years now hardly, shame that.

but i haven't had any other deja vu type of stuff going on.

"I dream most nights.

I guess they broke the cycle. I've not had 'that' dream for 10 months now "

I used to have terrible night terrors.

A man would be standing in my door way, just staring at me. He never said if did anything but his presence was dark and menacing. One night for some reason (probably exhaustion and lunacy) I snapped, jumped up and ran over to him and stood in the space he occupied. I told him to piss off. Never seen him since

"I dream most nights.

I guess they broke the cycle. I've not had 'that' dream for 10 months now

I used to have terrible night terrors.

A man would be standing in my door way, just staring at me. He never said if did anything but his presence was dark and menacing. One night for some reason (probably exhaustion and lunacy) I snapped, jumped up and ran over to him and stood in the space he occupied. I told him to piss off. Never seen him since "

Oooerrr well done!

Iv had some strange vivid dreams..

Watch this

https://youtu.be/DoPsjWqvwT4

This is real iv experianced it

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm tired and haven't given full consideration to your post op.

We don't understand sleep very well, that process that dreams are a part of. I think dreams could well be just part of our minds being rejigged, supporting prior experiences becoming enmeshed within who we are and preparation for the future.

I certainly think it unlikely that any template dream analysis guide could be universally meaningful and helpful. We're unique and experience life in our own unique ways.

Sleep - get the best from it.

"Iv had some strange vivid dreams..

Watch this

This is real iv experianced it"

That's terrifying!

"I'm tired and haven't given full consideration to your post op.

We don't understand sleep very well, that process that dreams are a part of. I think dreams could well be just part of our minds being rejigged, supporting prior experiences becoming enmeshed within who we are and preparation for the future.

I certainly think it unlikely that any template dream analysis guide could be universally meaningful and helpful. We're unique and experience life in our own unique ways.

Sleep - get the best from it."

You make a lot of sense! Sleep tight

Watch this

That's terrifying! "

Yes it is and its real

By *idan31Man  over a year ago

ashby

I had a dream that I had a meet with Estella ...

Oh if dreams only did come true !!

Watch this

That's terrifying!

Yes it is and its real "

Simply yikes!

"I had a dream that I had a meet with Estella ...

Oh if dreams only did come true !! "

It'd be a nightmare. Trust me!

Watch this

That's terrifying!

Yes it is and its real "

My dad's experienced that.

By *imky69Woman  over a year ago

heath hays

I once had a dream that I had eaten a giant marshmallow.

What was even weirder was when I woke up my pillow had gone?

I had a dream last night and there were dead mice in it, two I think, they had wounds from being killed. What's that all about? I've never had a dream with a mouse in before

Watch this

That's terrifying!

Yes it is and its real

My dad's experienced that. "

I can't even comprehend how scary that would be.

"I once had a dream that I had eaten a giant marshmallow.

What was even weirder was when I woke up my pillow had gone? "

"I had a dream last night and there were dead mice in it, two I think, they had wounds from being killed. What's that all about? I've never had a dream with a mouse in before "

You didn't try helping them with mouse to mouse resuscitation?

"I had a dream last night and there were dead mice in it, two I think, they had wounds from being killed. What's that all about? I've never had a dream with a mouse in before

You didn't try helping them with mouse to mouse resuscitation? "

eeek imagine how disgusting that would be!

heath hays

I watched a strainge but true facts programme a few months ago and some of the things on there were funny but what freaked me out was =

The story behind Freddy Kruggar.

There was actually a teenager that kept waking up after horrific dreams of someone with knifes for fingers trying to kill them in there sleep.This person didn't sleep for days as it seemed so real.Weeks later the person died in there sleep from unexplained cercumstances and apparently had deep scratches/slash wounds to there back.The writers of a nightmare on elm street refused to say if it was or wasn't based on that incedent X

"I watched a strainge but true facts programme a few months ago and some of the things on there were funny but what freaked me out was =

There was actually a teenager that kept waking up after horrific dreams of someone with knifes for fingers trying to kill them in there sleep.This person didn't sleep for days as it seemed so real.Weeks later the person died in there sleep from unexplained cercumstances and apparently had deep scratches/slash wounds to there back.The writers of a nightmare on elm street refused to say if it was or wasn't based on that incedent X "

Yikes.

heath hays

"I watched a strainge but true facts programme a few months ago and some of the things on there were funny but what freaked me out was =

There was actually a teenager that kept waking up after horrific dreams of someone with knifes for fingers trying to kill them in there sleep.This person didn't sleep for days as it seemed so real.Weeks later the person died in there sleep from unexplained cercumstances and apparently had deep scratches/slash wounds to there back.The writers of a nightmare on elm street refused to say if it was or wasn't based on that incedent X

Yikes. "

It did tell you more info lol but I can't remember it and don't want to as things like that scare me but out of curiosity I'm going to google it and scare myself again X

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Do dreams have a purpose?

No.

Not within Freudian ideas

"Do dreams have a purpose?

No.

Not within Freudian ideas "

Go on...

Glastonbury

It is a fact that the average human will dream 4-6 times a night.

You only remember dreams if you wake up during them.

They are by-products of the mind organising itself while you sleep

Yikes.

It did tell you more info lol but I can't remember it and don't want to as things like that scare me but out of curiosity I'm going to google it and scare myself again X "

You do realise I'm totally doing this too? And I'm singing the song from the film "One, two Freddy's coming for you, three, four better lock the door...." as I do.

Glastonbury

"It is a fact that the average human will dream 4-6 times a night.

They are by-products of the mind organising itself while you sleep "

Ergo, if dreams "mean" something the vast, vast majority of that is lost.

They are by-products of the mind organising itself while you sleep "

Purposeful.

Glastonbury

Ergo, if dreams "mean" something the vast, vast majority of that is lost."

Let's remember that Sigmund Freud single-handedly pioneered the influential theories of the id, ego, superego, penis envy, death and life drives, Oedipal complex, anal and oral stages of child development, the "dual drives" of sexuality and aggression, dream interpretation and the use of cocaine to cure mental and physical problems...

...all of which have been discredited.

Glastonbury

I'm not a fan of Freud

Let's remember that Sigmund Freud single-handedly pioneered the influential theories of the id, ego, superego, penis envy, death and life drives, Oedipal complex, anal and oral stages of child development, the "dual drives" of sexuality and aggression, dream interpretation and the use of cocaine to cure mental and physical problems...

"

I envy your penis.

"I'm not a fan of Freud"

To be fair, I'm not purporting to be pro-Freud -- so all points made and welcomed.

Glastonbury

I envy your penis. "

I don't think it remarkable but don't get complaints.

*shrugs*

I envy your penis.

I don't think it remarkable but don't get complaints.

*shrugs*"

By *ficouldMan  over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

Déjà vu moments, over the years I've had lots, some good some bad, even now I doubt and wonder if I had already been at that moment in time before, as how can it be so real, how can I know what's going to happen before it happens if it is only my brain tricking me into thinking that I've lived the moment before?

Glastonbury

See you and raise...

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/435394

I've only ever had 2 maybe 3 dreams where I realised I was dreaming.

The very first was pretty cool because I've got attacked by demons in a jungle and when I realised its a dream I gave myself a sword to fight them, not an AK47 or a grenade launcher but a freaking sword wtf

I then read about inducing lucid dreams but apparently you can get quite fucked up by doing so. It's possible to experience sleep paralysis and you would not want that when having a nightmare.

Imagine having the scariest nightmare of your life but its actually happening when you're awake and unable to move.

Glastonbury

"I've only ever had 2 maybe 3 dreams where I realised I was dreaming.

The very first was pretty cool because I've got attacked by demons in a jungle and when I realised its a dream I gave myself a sword to fight them, not an AK47 or a grenade launcher but a freaking sword wtf

I then read about inducing lucid dreams but apparently you can get quite fucked up by doing so. It's possible to experience sleep paralysis and you would not want that when having a nightmare.

Imagine having the scariest nightmare of your life but its actually happening when you're awake and unable to move."

Yes, this phenomenon gave rise to the succubus of Medieval legend

""Amazingly enough, dreams also seem able to influence physiological state: One study showed that people who were deprived of water before they slept, but then drank in their dreams, felt less thirsty when they woke up."

"

The lack of feeling thirsty is not a physiological state. Feeling thirsty IS normally a sign of dehydration beginning, but the evidence you state is more likely conclusive of that trigger being removed (the hypothalamus being fooled, as it were). Skin turgor/BP/capillary refill time are hydration indicators.

"Déjà vu moments, over the years I've had lots, some good some bad, even now I doubt and wonder if I had already been at that moment in time before, as how can it be so real, how can I know what's going to happen before it happens if it is only my brain tricking me into thinking that I've lived the moment before? "

"See you and raise...

"

El oh el

"I've only ever had 2 maybe 3 dreams where I realised I was dreaming.

Imagine having the scariest nightmare of your life but its actually happening when you're awake and unable to move."

Yup, look at Rossi's link further up!

"I think it's more simple. Humans need sleep, so Dreaming is a way of encouraging sleep. We enjoy dreams after all.

Not sure where nightmares come in this, although personally the few I've had excite me."

I believe dreams occur in the rapid eye movement stage (as we begin to fall asleep or as we begin to awaken). This is not the deep sleep our bodies require.

""Amazingly enough, dreams also seem able to influence physiological state: One study showed that people who were deprived of water before they slept, but then drank in their dreams, felt less thirsty when they woke up."

The lack of feeling thirsty is not a physiological state. Feeling thirsty IS normally a sign of dehydration beginning, but the evidence you state is more likely conclusive of that trigger being removed (the hypothalamus being fooled, as it were). Skin turgor/BP/capillary refill time are hydration indicators."

Needs to be taken up with the author!

Glastonbury

Not sure where nightmares come in this, although personally the few I've had excite me.

I believe dreams occur in the rapid eye movement stage (as we begin to fall asleep or as we begin to awaken). This is not the deep sleep our bodies require."

Are you d*unk?

Glastonbury

"See you and raise...

El oh el "

Good, huh?

"I tend to dream very vivid and interesting dreams, usually in colour and I can often influence the direction of them, as a child I used to have very vivid nightmares but as I got older I could change the direction of them to stop them being bad, quite how I haven't a clue though "

I had to learn to die in nightmares as a child to save me from screaming out and then being punished.

"See you and raise...

El oh el

Good, huh?

"

It's a good read.

"I tend to dream very vivid and interesting dreams, usually in colour and I can often influence the direction of them, as a child I used to have very vivid nightmares but as I got older I could change the direction of them to stop them being bad, quite how I haven't a clue though

I had to learn to die in nightmares as a child to save me from screaming out and then being punished. "

That's horrific. Oh gosh.

I believe dreams occur in the rapid eye movement stage (as we begin to fall asleep or as we begin to awaken). This is not the deep sleep our bodies require.

Are you d*unk?"

What suggests that?

Glastonbury

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?"

Dunno. Saturday night. It's late...?

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

"

Projecting, Joe?

Glastonbury

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?"

Astrally

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?

Astrally "

Squinty, tired eyes saw "anally" for a second there.

Glastonbury

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?

Astrally

Squinty, tired eyes saw "anally" for a second there. "

Clearly not d*unk enough

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?

Astrally

Clearly not d*unk enough"

I had one whisky chocolate

Glastonbury

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?

Astrally

Clearly not d*unk enough

I had one whisky chocolate "

I'm not hideously pissed, tbh, but I haven't been this d*unk in a couple of months.

No dreams for me tonight.

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?

Astrally

Clearly not d*unk enough

I'm not hideously pissed, tbh, but I haven't been this d*unk in a couple of months.

"

More or less d*unk then tea party? That's my rating scale for you.

Glastonbury

Had a weird one where I was in Damascus, in a war zone, with a injured girl in my arms and we're trying to get to hospital.

This would have been distressing but for the twist.

For company, I had Prince Charles and his Rolls-Royce.

Odd.

Glastonbury

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?

Astrally

Clearly not d*unk enough

More or less d*unk then tea party? That's my rating scale for you. "

That was what I was thinking of. Not that d*unk, not by a long shot

Are you d*unk?

What suggests that?

Projecting, Joe?

Astrally

Clearly not d*unk enough

More or less d*unk then tea party? That's my rating scale for you.

That was what I was thinking of. Not that d*unk, not by a long shot "

Well I may not be d*unk, but I may follow suit with the inevitable ending of that level of d*unkness and pass out now. Night

I used to have recurring dreams. Now they are more random.

I used to have a dream about my teeth coming out ..then i would wake up in the dream ...and check my teeth ...teeth gone ..but then realise i was still in my dream

Moral of this dream ...4 months ago had excruciating tooth ache ..worse than having a baby ..and had to have the tooth out ...never had the dream since

I have on occasion ended up in a state of lucid dreaming. It tends to happen when some outside stimulus penetrates my dream. Often it will be the tv. News announcers seem to facilitate this particularly well.

Initially I become aware of a voice over running through my dream. This has at times developed into a commentary although sometimes it is just a strange detached voice speaking of totally unrelated things. In my dream I become aware that something isn't quite right, that the voice doesn't belong. In turn this makes me realise that I'm dreaming without fully waking me up. At this stage I can then manipulate my actions in my dream and interact with the environment however I see fit.

I must admit this hasn't happened in a while and seemed more prominent in my teenage years but was an amazing experience that until a recent conversation with a colleague was something I just assumed happened to everyone.

"I used to have recurring dreams. Now they are more random. "

Yes I wonder if they're more prevalent as children?

"I used to have a dream about my teeth coming out ..then i would wake up in the dream ...and check my teeth ...teeth gone ..but then realise i was still in my dream

Moral of this dream ...4 months ago had excruciating tooth ache ..worse than having a baby ..and had to have the tooth out ...never had the dream since "

The teeth falling out dream is surprisingly common and I think one of those ones that dies get a prescriptive meaning in those kinda dream symbol books, no idea what or the accuracy!

"I have on occasion ended up in a state of lucid dreaming. It tends to happen when some outside stimulus penetrates my dream. Often it will be the tv. News announcers seem to facilitate this particularly well.

Initially I become aware of a voice over running through my dream. This has at times developed into a commentary although sometimes it is just a strange detached voice speaking of totally unrelated things. In my dream I become aware that something isn't quite right, that the voice doesn't belong. In turn this makes me realise that I'm dreaming without fully waking me up. At this stage I can then manipulate my actions in my dream and interact with the environment however I see fit.

I must admit this hasn't happened in a while and seemed more prominent in my teenage years but was an amazing experience that until a recent conversation with a colleague was something I just assumed happened to everyone. "

It's amazing when you get to that point of feeling like you can manipulate the dream but then I find it all starts to disintegrate and as much as I try and replay bits to get it going again, it fades

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Not specific to dreaming but more to time and Astral travel, has anyone read or done Dr Joe Dispenza's work? Really good stuff. Mind blowing in fact

I have just had the weirdest dream ever..... soo much so I woke up and still thought it was real

"Not specific to dreaming but more to time and Astral travel, has anyone read or done Dr Joe Dispenza's work? Really good stuff. Mind blowing in fact "

No I haven't, will def have a look -- thanks

"I have just had the weirdest dream ever..... soo much so I woke up and still thought it was real

"

Sorry to inform you but Trump really did get elected....

"I have just had the weirdest dream ever..... soo much so I woke up and still thought it was real

"

It was about a Vulcan bomber flying

I think so. I have had many vivid dreams that I can relate to me and my life

Kinky

It was about a Vulcan bomber flying "

"I think so. I have had many vivid dreams that I can relate to me and my life

Kinky "

It was about a Vulcan bomber flying "

A dream indeed

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Dream A Little Dream Of Me

https://youtu.be/FVzXouoqmP0

Don't dream it, be it.

I hope not or I am destined for jail or need a new career

By *eeko200Man  over a year ago

London / bristol /

The activation-synthesis theory is a neurobiological explanation of why we dream. it suggests that dreaming results from the brain's attempt to make sense of neural activity that takes place during REM sleep.

Personally i dont think they have a purpose .they are just the a consequence of a resting brain.

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

I had a couple of really disturbing dreams one night last week. I rarely dream anyway, so to have two pretty screwed-up dreams was very odd. I put it down to a number of shitty things going on in my life recently and my brain just trying to process it all. Weird thing is that when I woke up I felt great. Like my brain had been defragged. I felt lighter somehow.

"Don't dream it, be it."

I have a dream!

"I hope not or I am destined for jail or need a new career "

"The activation-synthesis theory is a neurobiological explanation of why we dream. it suggests that dreaming results from the brain's attempt to make sense of neural activity that takes place during REM sleep.

Personally i dont think they have a purpose .they are just the a consequence of a resting brain. "

"I had a couple of really disturbing dreams one night last week. I rarely dream anyway, so to have two pretty screwed-up dreams was very odd. I put it down to a number of shitty things going on in my life recently and my brain just trying to process it all. Weird thing is that when I woke up I felt great. Like my brain had been defragged. I felt lighter somehow."

That deserves a and a

dreams are given to mankind, to warn, rebuke, comfort, to instruct, encourage or to give glimpses of things yet to occur...

Oft given in a manner to give the person the free will to ponder over such and hence find their meaning if effort is made...

Those that give heed to their dreams will find that they will recieve more dreams of import and they will become more clear to the understanding...

"dreams are given to mankind, to warn, rebuke, comfort, to instruct, encourage or to give glimpses of things yet to occur...

Oft given in a manner to give the person the free will to ponder over such and hence find their meaning if effort is made...

Those that give heed to their dreams will find that they will recieve more dreams of import and they will become more clear to the understanding..."

Ooooh that gave me shivers in a good way!

» Add a new message to this topic