FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wiring a lighting circuit into my summer house.

Wiring a lighting circuit into my summer house.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Any tips? Are the switch and light in series?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *appyguy17Man  over a year ago

walthamstow

" Any tips? Are the switch and light in series? "

hi.....you can wire in series from ceiling rose to ceiling rose......you are using the ceiling rose as a junction box.......or just use a junction box.....you will find the wiring diagram on the net.....it's easy...

if you are doing a 2 way switch (2 switches working the one light) you need a cable with 4 wires in it

There must be some useful people on here?!

"There must be some useful people on here?!"

Yay there is!

By *one_wolf.Man  over a year ago

Chatham

Yeah give me a message mate im a sparky and currently out in kenya bored off my tits after building and wiring a community centre

" Any tips? Are the switch and light in series?

hi.....you can wire in series from ceiling rose to ceiling rose......you are using the ceiling rose as a junction box.......or just use a junction box.....you will find the wiring diagram on the net.....it's easy...

if you are doing a 2 way switch (2 switches working the one light) you need a cable with 4 wires in it"

One light, one pull switch, from the consumer unit.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you lick your finger tips before twisting the bare wires together you dont need to turn the electricity off first!

Chatham

There should be 2 brown/red wires coming into the switch and one should go into Com and the other into L1 or L2

The blue nuetrel should go into the light from the distribution board and one brown from the switch

I've copied the link. Now delete your post before you get a forum ban for posting illegal links.

"There should be 2 brown/red wires coming into the switch and one should go into Com and the other into L1 or L2

The blue nuetrel should go into the light from the distribution board and one brown from the switch "

Right so I can't use twin and earth for lights?

"If you lick your finger tips before twisting the bare wires together you dont need to turn the electricity off first!"

Tried that yesterday. You're wrong !

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Don't post links that are not allowed please

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Will depend on several factors such as, number of lights, do you want them all running off a single switch, are you coming off a board in the summer house or is it just a feed from the house board......

Can i suggest hiring a qualified sparky? shouldn't cost you more than a days rate (£100-£150ish without materials)- they'll even do useful things like ensure its wired correctly, safely, is tested and certified and might just stopp those little annoyances like not eletrocuting yourself or others or not burning down your summer house due to an electrical fault

Chatham

Yes you can thought you was using single core, so the cable from the DB you wire the blue into the N part of the ceiling rose and the brown into the Live terminal block, from the switch one is used to go into the same one as the one from the board and the other into a block that may be laballed switch line or something like that

Chatham

"Will depend on several factors such as, number of lights, do you want them all running off a single switch, are you coming off a board in the summer house or is it just a feed from the house board......

Can i suggest hiring a qualified sparky? shouldn't cost you more than a days rate (£100-£150ish without materials)- they'll even do useful things like ensure its wired correctly, safely, is tested and certified and might just stopp those little annoyances like not eletrocuting yourself or others or not burning down your summer house due to an electrical fault "

If labour is £150 you are going to the wrong sparky haha a flat rate of a call out fee,£30-£50 and about 15 an hour on that and shouldnt take more than 2 hours work

"Will depend on several factors such as, number of lights, do you want them all running off a single switch, are you coming off a board in the summer house or is it just a feed from the house board......

Can i suggest hiring a qualified sparky? shouldn't cost you more than a days rate (£100-£150ish without materials)- they'll even do useful things like ensure its wired correctly, safely, is tested and certified and might just stopp those little annoyances like not eletrocuting yourself or others or not burning down your summer house due to an electrical fault "

There's no way I'll be doing that.

"Yes you can thought you was using single core, so the cable from the DB you wire the blue into the N part of the ceiling rose and the brown into the Live terminal block, from the switch one is used to go into the same one as the one from the board and the other into a block that may be laballed switch line or something like that"

I see. So I have to use a rose. Think there's one in the shed I think I was under the impression I only needed a rose with multiple lights. Makes more sense now.

By *ureTemptationWoman  over a year ago

Off the grid

But... it's not summer? Far too cold for that.

"But... it's not summer? Far too cold for that. "

But it will be in the summer house....won't it?

by the big field

Can i suggest hiring a qualified sparky? shouldn't cost you more than a days rate (£100-£150ish without materials)- they'll even do useful things like ensure its wired correctly, safely, is tested and certified and might just stopp those little annoyances like not eletrocuting yourself or others or not burning down your summer house due to an electrical fault

If labour is £150 you are going to the wrong sparky haha a flat rate of a call out fee,£30-£50 and about 15 an hour on that and shouldnt take more than 2 hours work "

As i said, based on a day rate.....and not knowing the specifics of what needs to be done- might be 2 hours, might find a problem- wouldn't want to tell him its only £50 and suddenly its a bill of 3 times that. Plus its been a while since i last had one in as i qualified in 1990

Chatham

No problem, only because your using twin and earth that you have to use one as the switch is the last part of the circuit instead of the first if that makes sence, dont forget to label with a little bit of tape which is your common ( the cable going from the same place as the incoming from the board in the rose) in the switch and also that the nuetral is being used as a live conductor between the switch and the switch line in the light, and also earth sleeving haha

"But... it's not summer? Far too cold for that. "

With power and light it'll be somewhere comfortable for me to teach bicycle maintenance to my son.

"No problem, only because your using twin and earth that you have to use one as the switch is the last part of the circuit instead of the first if that makes sence, dont forget to label with a little bit of tape which is your common ( the cable going from the same place as the incoming from the board in the rose) in the switch and also that the nuetral is being used as a live conductor between the switch and the switch line in the light, and also earth sleeving haha "

I have all the ingredients, but the recipe is a bit wishy washy..

Chatham

Well you will make a fine meal im sure

Let's hope I don't burn it....

You shouldn't be adding or installing new circuits under part p of the building regulations you naughty boy!!.

Now a top tip, salvage old red and black wire when you see it.... Comes in handy for masking new work

"You shouldn't be adding or installing new circuits under part p of the building regulations you naughty boy!!.

Now a top tip, salvage old red and black wire when you see it.... Comes in handy for masking new work"

My whole system is so dodgy! The summer house literally plugs in like an appliance. By simply unplugging all I'm doing is storing some cable in my shed...

Now if your summer house is outside your equipotential zone!!... Have you thought about protection?.... Always rubber up before handling

"Now if your summer house is outside your equipotential zone!!... Have you thought about protection?.... Always rubber up before handling"

Yes yesterday's electric shock was a mild tickle thanks to my safety shoes. But there's RCD's everywhere now.

"You shouldn't be adding or installing new circuits under part p of the building regulations you naughty boy!!.

Now a top tip, salvage old red and black wire when you see it.... Comes in handy for masking new work

My whole system is so dodgy! The summer house literally plugs in like an appliance. By simply unplugging all I'm doing is storing some cable in my shed..."

Dear oh dear oh dear....oooooooo which cowboy has been having a go at this!.

Put the kettle on and get the hobnobs out.... This ain't gonna be cheap

"Now if your summer house is outside your equipotential zone!!... Have you thought about protection?.... Always rubber up before handling

Yes yesterday's electric shock was a mild tickle thanks to my safety shoes. But there's RCD's everywhere now. "

You can't rely on secondary protection.... That's like relying on the pulling out method

"Now if your summer house is outside your equipotential zone!!... Have you thought about protection?.... Always rubber up before handling

Yes yesterday's electric shock was a mild tickle thanks to my safety shoes. But there's RCD's everywhere now. .

You can't rely on secondary protection.... That's like relying on the pulling out method "

Never failed before. Ask the kids....

Yes yesterday's electric shock was a mild tickle thanks to my safety shoes. But there's RCD's everywhere now. .

You can't rely on secondary protection.... That's like relying on the pulling out method

Never failed before. Ask the kids...."

If you've already got power in there just come off that with a fuse spur(3 amp fuse).... If you get a switched one it can act as your light switch, run twin and earth round to as many lights as you want.... Voilà cheap and quick... Ask the wife

To your original question, nothing in your house is wired in series it's all wired in parallel..... You've been working on boats and planes to much

Never failed before. Ask the kids.... .

If you've already got power in there just come off that with a fuse spur(3 amp fuse).... If you get a switched one it can act as your light switch, run twin and earth round to as many lights as you want.... Voilà cheap and quick... Ask the wife "

So power to switch. Switch to light.

"To your original question, nothing in your house is wired in series it's all wired in parallel..... You've been working on boats and planes to much "

True, I'm no Greeny.

Never failed before. Ask the kids.... .

If you've already got power in there just come off that with a fuse spur(3 amp fuse).... If you get a switched one it can act as your light switch, run twin and earth round to as many lights as you want.... Voilà cheap and quick... Ask the wife

So power to switch. Switch to light."

Yep, power in to line, lights out on load although these days they tend to write in and out on them, it's less confusing lol... Just make sure you drop a 3 amp fuse in it and not the 13amp one they come with

Alternatively you could just stop being a cheapskate and pay and electrician

"Alternatively you could just stop being a cheapskate and pay and electrician "

Not an option.

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

If you want to be economically frugal wire it from your neighbours consumer unit ...est voila no bills .. you're welcome .

"Alternatively you could just stop being a cheapskate and pay and electrician

Not an option."

Well be careful

by the big field

Hows this for a crazy idea- apparently, some free thinking sort of dude has invented a light that runs off......the power of the sun!

no dangerous electrickery required- and as the sun only runs at 12v dc, you're less likely to blow your own arm off everytime you turn the lights on

"Hows this for a crazy idea- apparently, some free thinking sort of dude has invented a light that runs off......the power of the sun!

no dangerous electrickery required- and as the sun only runs at 12v dc, you're less likely to blow your own arm off everytime you turn the lights on "

He's no greeny

"Hows this for a crazy idea- apparently, some free thinking sort of dude has invented a light that runs off......the power of the sun!

no dangerous electrickery required- and as the sun only runs at 12v dc, you're less likely to blow your own arm off everytime you turn the lights on .

He's no greeny "

He can't afford the solar panels either...

» Add a new message to this topic