lurgan

Can u ever really stay friends

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *awandOrderCouple  over a year ago

SW London

Loads of people do, especially where there are kids involved

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've remained friends with all my past girlfriends, we wish each other happy birthday merry Christmas etc.

Yes, but it very much depends on the circumstances of why you split, in my opinion.

I know people who have, but I'm not friends with my ex at all. I'm civil with her, but I don't like her.

Yes I think so

We got together at 16, had a fall out at about 20.

Stayed friends and got back together about 6 months later and now we're engaged

So yeah it can work out

I'm friends with my most recent ex but we were only together 18 months and we only split cos he lived in Hull which was way too far away and I believe the 6 year age gap was too young for me anyway. We are Facebook friends and message now and again, all very amicable. My long term ex though and father of my child, I tried to be friends with him but he absolutely hates me, makes it very difficult to co-parent. Would be so much easier if he just walked away and kept out of our lives.

"Can u ever really stay friends"

We both agree that you can't , fior various reasons .

But primarily because you've shared the most intimate and emotional parts of yourself , and for whatever reason you've moved on . That person who knows and shared all that with you is no longer the one . So the next partner would feel second best if you continue to share friendship with the person who shared your life and love .

My ex hates me I still get abusive texts sometimes 7yrs on

I suppose it could work for some but personally, I'd never stay friends with an ex! Friends to lovers yes but not lovers to friends!

I have an ex that I get on well with, we have a beautiful daughter together, we were great friends before we got together, when we did it lasted about 6 years then died, it was shit the first few years but now she has a new fella, a nice lad who I also get on very well with, when I pick my daughter up I always stay for a cup of tea, and maybe lunch with them all, we message each other regularly by text and facebook and I was the first person she send a picture of her scan to when they found out she was pregnant again. Its great that my daughter see's us all like this, I would hate to think that us splitting would make her feel awkward in anyway at all so I think this is a win win situation.

Templar

I did stay friends with 1 of mine but then got to clingy and jealous over everything I did, so had.to stop being friends

I'm trying really hard to be friends with my ex husband but he keeps doing things that really push my buttons. It's a shame only one of us is mature because there are children involved

I think you can.

I'm on good terms with all mine but I wouldn't say we are friends. Just chat if we see each other etc

"I have an ex that I get on well with, we have a beautiful daughter together, we were great friends before we got together, when we did it lasted about 6 years then died, it was shit the first few years but now she has a new fella, a nice lad who I also get on very well with, when I pick my daughter up I always stay for a cup of tea, and maybe lunch with them all, we message each other regularly by text and facebook and I was the first person she send a picture of her scan to when they found out she was pregnant again. Its great that my daughter see's us all like this, I would hate to think that us splitting would make her feel awkward in anyway at all so I think this is a win win situation.

Templar"

That's great!

No.

I'm on relatively good terms with my ex (the father of my kids). Not besties or anything, but we go to parents evening together etc.

Whatever i think about him is irrelevant, we are done and dusted. So long as he does good by his children (which he does on the whole) then i am ok with that.

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

I'm on good terms with my ex husband, which is surprising really.

We had an agreement that I would seek fun outside our marriage. Neither of us expected that I would meet someone else and fall in love with them! I had a six month affair and then left him for shaggy. Nearly 3 years later I have been married to shaggy for 18 months and ex hubby got married again in September. Despite everything we had an amicable divorce and still have a friendly relationship

"I have an ex that I get on well with, we have a beautiful daughter together, we were great friends before we got together, when we did it lasted about 6 years then died, it was shit the first few years but now she has a new fella, a nice lad who I also get on very well with, when I pick my daughter up I always stay for a cup of tea, and maybe lunch with them all, we message each other regularly by text and facebook and I was the first person she send a picture of her scan to when they found out she was pregnant again. Its great that my daughter see's us all like this, I would hate to think that us splitting would make her feel awkward in anyway at all so I think this is a win win situation.

Templar"

Similar situ to this now. We have all been out tonight for fireworks together

Generally difficult to stay friends especially in the immediate aftermath of a break up. My wife left me 5 months ago so from my experience it is better to cut all ties quickly. Dragging things out and trying to be friends only prolongs the agony. It rarely works out as one person usually still wants to be more than just friends.

It really depends on the reasons for the break up and how it ended I think. If you hate each others guts from the bottom of your heart it'll never work but if it is more that you drift apart it may well do.

Me as the guy stayed friends with an ex for a while but not talked to her since moving away. Not a loss but she was still a good friend for a while

It all depends on circumstances, generally I stay amicable but not so close as people move on.

I have one ex who I hate and hate is a word I don't like to use but she treated me like dirt when we were splitting up, playing with my emotions when she knew I still loved her. As a result if that one I'd agree with anyone that says cut ties quickly and don't look back if it's getting messy.

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

Absolutely. Had dinner with my ex and her new wife last week and they are organizing my 40th

Defo

» Add a new message to this topic