FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > You are not allowed to Laugh

You are not allowed to Laugh

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Four-time Olympic medallist Louis Smith has been given a two-month ban by British Gymnastics for appearing to mock Islam in a video.

The video, filmed by the 27-year-old Smith but leaked to the media in September, showed him laughing while retired gymnast Luke Carson mimicked Islamic prayer practices

turns out you are not allowed to laugh in private at a friend having a lark about

Yes this was the UK

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *100Man  over a year ago

Essex

How about a little smirk when no ones looking

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Four-time Olympic medallist Louis Smith has been given a two-month ban by British Gymnastics for appearing to mock Islam in a video.

The video, filmed by the 27-year-old Smith but leaked to the media in September, showed him laughing while retired gymnast Luke Carson mimicked Islamic prayer practices

turns out you are not allowed to laugh in private at a friend having a lark about

Yes this was the UK

"

And perhaps a little respect?

"Four-time Olympic medallist Louis Smith has been given a two-month ban by British Gymnastics for appearing to mock Islam in a video.

Yes this was the UK

And perhaps a little respect?"

Yes

a little respect for someones privacy

If you're going to mock other religions, perhaps also have the sense not to film it??

"If you're going to mock other religions, perhaps also have the sense not to film it??"

That would work.

"If you're going to mock other religions, perhaps also have the sense not to film it??"

ahhhh, so tell me all about "the life of Brian" then

explain that one

now this will be interesting

"If you're going to mock other religions, perhaps also have the sense not to film it??

explain that one

now this will be interesting"

A critically acclaimed comedy satire with a story and script. Sounds highly comparable to a couple of racists with a camera filming themselves laughing at the prayer positions of a different religion.

"If you're going to mock other religions, perhaps also have the sense not to film it??

explain that one

A critically acclaimed comedy satire with a story and script. Sounds highly comparable to a couple of racists with a camera filming themselves laughing at the prayer positions of a different religion. "

Couple of racists??

Please, elucidate

By *0tt0nSu3Woman  over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 02/11/16 15:32:11]

explain that one

A critically acclaimed comedy satire with a story and script. Sounds highly comparable to a couple of racists with a camera filming themselves laughing at the prayer positions of a different religion. "

I take it you never piss around and have a laugh, get a bloody grip

imagine if "the life of Brian" was written to take the piss out of the Muslim religion, not only would there be beheadings & execution's but also possibility of war

London

explain that one

I seem to remember Jesus Christ was in one scene. Brian was imploring them to follow Jesus and not him.

In no way was Jesus's or Christianity was being mocked. If that was the case,I'd be offended.

I think you should watch the film again.

If HE filmed it- Who leaked it?

The Life of Brian was a comedy film about an ordinary man who was mistaken for the messiah. More a comedy of errors than actually mocking religion (although it was banned for many years on that mistaken principle). Crucially, it was a fictional story.

What Louis Smith did was allow a personal opinion - one that could potentially bring his sport into disrepute - into the public arena. They had little choice but to publicly penalise him.

Mocking is seen as disrespectful in this modern world..... Unless you want to mock Donald trump or Nigel Farage or David Cameron or Teresa may or any other right wing person you disagree with.... Then it's called satire and your aloof with your superiority complex

Of course, people have the right to freedom of speech, but with that comes the responsibility to deal with any repercussions which comes from those actions.

And also if you're a public figure, make sure that there isn't evidence of you doing something idiotic.

London

explain that one

I seem to remember Jesus Christ was in one scene. Brian was imploring them to follow Jesus and not him.

In no way was Jesus's or Christianity was being mocked. If that was the case,I'd be offended.

I think you should watch the film again."

*Jesus

This autocorrect thingy is rubbish...

By *ilfy85Woman  over a year ago

Beckwithshaw

"If HE filmed it- Who leaked it?"
maybe he's one of them self hating racists

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

explain that one

A critically acclaimed comedy satire with a story and script. Sounds highly comparable to a couple of racists with a camera filming themselves laughing at the prayer positions of a different religion.

imagine if "the life of Brian" was written to take the piss out of the Muslim religion, not only would there be beheadings & execution's but also possibility of war"

But would all the women turn up in false beards for the stoning?

It's P C gone mad I say!

Wow isn't that just a shitter!

explain that one

imagine if "the life of Brian" was written to take the piss out of the Muslim religion, not only would there be beheadings & execution's but also possibility of war"

I love having a laugh, sorry I don't find thinly veiled attacks on other religions amusing.

Were there threats of war and beheadings when this athlete's video came to light? No, he got a 2 month ban.

How about when Four Lions was released? Strangely, people kept their heads and no new wars started. Funny that...

I don't want to enter into a religious / racism debate other than to say that, whilst I'm an atheist, I do believe ALL faiths and beliefs should be treated and respected equally.

At times it seems outrage is disproportionately applied depending on religion and some are more 'fair game' to be mocked than others.

I may not believe in organised religion but I do believe in people's right to practice it equally and fairly, and also for people to challenge / question them equally to.

"Of course, people have the right to freedom of speech, but with that comes the responsibility to deal with any repercussions which comes from those actions.

And also if you're a public figure, make sure that there isn't evidence of you doing something idiotic. "

idiotic!!

you mean like laughing at a friend

come on now

explain that one

I take it that you do not respect other people's faiths. Fine. But open mocking is rather disrespectful.

Couch it in terms of "humour" if you wish.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mocking religions, it is not your right to demand punishment because your offended and the amount of offence you take does not make violence tolerable.

If you make grand claims and they pretty much all do prepare to back them up or be mocked..... No different to Donald trump's wall claim.... Now remember you can't have your cake and eat it as Mr junker says

I do wonder if he has been targeted partly because he is gay. Religion is curiously intolerant when it comes to sexuality.

explain that one

imagine if "the life of Brian" was written to take the piss out of the Muslim religion, not only would there be beheadings & execution's but also possibility of war

I love having a laugh, sorry I don't find thinly veiled attacks on other religions amusing.

Were there threats of war and beheadings when this athlete's video came to light? No, he got a 2 month ban.

How about when Four Lions was released? Strangely, people kept their heads and no new wars started. Funny that..."

actually there were many death threats aimed at him

this was reported on Jeremy Vine today, go back and listen to it

a 2 month ban fair enough but then all the death threats are aimed at him

Either shut the fuck up mocking Donny and nige or learn to live with the fact when you make grand unsubstantiated claims you'll get mocked.

Oh but I like mocking don's hair because it's funny and I'm left wing... Tough shit that's not how it works

If he's a cunt for laughing at a stupid practise of faith over unsubstantiated wild claims then your a cunt for laughing at Donny's hair for his....

This is just another tactic of right wing fascist(both trump and Islam) who don't like criticism.... Shut them up

Bigus Dickus

don't snigger now

"If he's a cunt for laughing at a stupid practise of faith over unsubstantiated wild claims then your a cunt for laughing at Donny's hair for his....

This is just another tactic of right wing fascist(both trump and Islam) who don't like criticism.... Shut them up"

I didn't detect any irony in that.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Who leaked it? We all do stuff behind closed doors that others would hes the one stupid enough to video it.

"If he's a cunt for laughing at a stupid practise of faith over unsubstantiated wild claims then your a cunt for laughing at Donny's hair for his....

This is just another tactic of right wing fascist(both trump and Islam) who don't like criticism.... Shut them up

I didn't detect any irony in that."

I'm so offended I might have to go home and have a cup of tea!.

Lewis smith should be fully reinstated and given an apology, no ifs no buts

Don't understand why people get so upset about religion

London

"Bigus Dickus

don't snigger now"

According to the title of your post. We can't laugh.

Therefore, please explain in this instance why we should snigger?

We await your response in the matter.

explain that one

It's all a bit silly I agree but the Life of Brian argument doesn't work that well.

There was widespread condemnation here and in the States, the usual press suspects were righteously outraged, it was banned in many areas by councils and in others it had its rating changed from AA to X. People tried to blockade cinemas that screened it.

Good film though I do prefer Holy Grail

I know a kebab shop owning Muslim.car dealer who holds rosary beads or the equivalent Muslim has when buying s car..maybe for luck..his luck ran out when holding it and playing with them one day when the string holding it gave up and they went all over the gaff under the auctioneer..

You've never seen anyone move do fast running around after them...i suppose if I laughed i'd get a ban but I'll refrain from that

explain that one

It's all a bit silly I agree but the Life of Brian argument doesn't work that well.

There was widespread condemnation here and in the States, the usual press suspects were righteously outraged, it was banned in many areas by councils and in others it had its rating changed from AA to X. People tried to blockade cinemas that screened it.

"

How about the jerry springer musical then?.... Did the pope issue a fatwa and did jerry have to go under armed guard for decades while baying crowds held placards calling for his beheading?.... No.

And I stand by the fact that the musical producers had every right to mock Jesus and his claims and anybody that wishes to follow them... If it upsets you, it's your right not to watch it

Pretty hard to judge without seeing video.

"Either shut the fuck up mocking Donny and nige or learn to live with the fact when you make grand unsubstantiated claims you'll get mocked.

Oh but I like mocking don's hair because it's funny and I'm left wing... Tough shit that's not how it works"

Are you trying to out angry the people your angry with for being angry?

explain that one

How about the jerry springer musical then?.... Did the pope issue a fatwa and did jerry have to go under armed guard for decades while baying crowds held placards calling for his beheading?.... No.

And I stand by the fact that the musical producers had every right to mock Jesus and his claims and anybody that wishes to follow them... If it upsets you, it's your right not to watch it"

It upsets me that you think I'm upset.

There's a Jerry Springer musical? then there is no hope for Western civilisation

Well.....I never thought I'd see it.

When they invented the Internet i bet they never imagined a load of swingers would end up arguing about wether we can laugh at biggus dickus.

What a time to be alive

Please continue.....

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

What did Smith himself have to say?

Did he say he made an error, brached a code of conduct, apologised for any offence caused and accepted the punishment as fair, given it was his second recent breach?

Or did he say 'fuck you, I did nothing wrong, this was a brilliant piece of satire so get a sense of humour'?

London

explain that one

And I stand by the fact that the musical producers had every right to mock Jesus and his claims and anybody that wishes to follow them... If it upsets you, it's your right not to watch it"

Sigh.

I saw that musical too. And as a Christian I was not offended. Neither was my mother, who is pretty sensitive on this subject. There was no mocking on people praying in that musical.

I'm getting sick and tired of the 'whataboutery' in this thread.

It is not right to mock how people pray to whatever God they choose. People should have the right to feed their spirituality/religious need/soul in whatever way they choose as long as they harm no one.

Were they harming you OP?

No.

THEN LET THEM BE.

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Well.....I never thought I'd see it.

When they invented the Internet i bet they never imagined a load of swingers would end up arguing about wether we can laugh at biggus dickus.

What a time to be alive

Please continue..... "

That one really made me laugh.

So I suppose I'm now disqualified from the thread.

explain that one

And I stand by the fact that the musical producers had every right to mock Jesus and his claims and anybody that wishes to follow them... If it upsets you, it's your right not to watch it

Sigh.

I saw that musical too. And as a Christian I was not offended. Neither was my mother, who is pretty sensitive on this subject. There was no mocking on people praying in that musical.

It is not right to mock how people pray to whatever God they choose. People should have the right to feed their spirituality/religious need/soul in whatever way they choose as long as they harm no one.

No.

THEN LET THEM BE.

"

are we not allowed to comment on what's on the BBC news today??

are we banned from talking about UK news?

London

explain that one

It upsets me that you think I'm upset.

There's a Jerry Springer musical? then there is no hope for Western civilisation

"

Yep!

Loved it!

It was funny

London

explain that one

Sigh.

No.

THEN LET THEM BE.

"

I didn't say that,and you know it.

I said everyone has a right to pray with dignity. No one has a right to mock someone's desire to be a better human being.

Costa Blanca Spain...

I wonder how Dave Allen would have got on in this brave new world.

explain that one

Sigh.

No.

THEN LET THEM BE.

"

Of course you are allowed to comment.

But do not expect people to support your position.

While I do not follow a faith, I fully respect other people's right to do so and prefer not to mock them.

"Of course, people have the right to freedom of speech, but with that comes the responsibility to deal with any repercussions which comes from those actions.

And also if you're a public figure, make sure that there isn't evidence of you doing something idiotic.

idiotic!!

you mean like laughing at a friend

come on now"

agree... so what about the guy who does the puppet that is obviously taking the mick.. ( his name escapes me but my lad does a amazing impression) i laugh at that.... and so does many others... guess if they had picked a different religion it would have been ok

Personally I find most religious practices make me smile and giggle in many ways..

Cali

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Typical BS in a tea cup stirred up by the hard of thinking.

The two in the vids were stupid little pricks.

End of.

Next.

I'm not going to suggest that Louis is a racist or even a bad guy. I would say though that he is naive or a numpty for want of a better word.

I often say outrageous or offensive things to my very close friends or to my wife in private. I certainly wouldn't film myself either saying those things or being present in a camera smiling when they are said.

Public figures are always under scrutiny and Louis is an Olympian who would have received media training and mentoring so should know better.

Glastonbury

"I wonder how Dave Allen would have got on in this brave new world."

As well as Frankie Boyle, hopefully...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcQHeypIMg

"I'm not going to suggest that Louis is a racist or even a bad guy. I would say though that he is naive or a numpty for want of a better word.

I often say outrageous or offensive things to my very close friends or to my wife in private. I certainly wouldn't film myself either saying those things or being present in a camera smiling when they are said.

Public figures are always under scrutiny and Louis is an Olympian who would have received media training and mentoring so should know better. "

guess it is okay for him to receive a mountain of death threats

"I'm not going to suggest that Louis is a racist or even a bad guy. I would say though that he is naive or a numpty for want of a better word.

Public figures are always under scrutiny and Louis is an Olympian who would have received media training and mentoring so should know better.

guess it is okay for him to receive a mountain of death threats"

No. Nor was it okay for him to post his rubbish and nor is it okay for you to condone it.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I wonder how Dave Allen would have got on in this brave new world."

he would have been fine... he mocked religion as a general concept and didn't attack one specific religion....

"some" people like the whole "freedom of speech" thing.... but then cry about the way others deem fit to respond to their "freedom of speech"....

No. Nor was it okay for him to post his rubbish and nor is it okay for you to condone it."

lady, I do as I please, you feel free to follow your own rule book and I will follow mine

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

Whoa,

There are a few on here seem to be trying to claim the sense of humour high ground by citing Monty Python, Dave Allen, Frankie Boyle etc.

Fuck off.

You don't get to claim them. I recognise some of you posters for your right wing views. None of those would support your views. Stick to Jim Davidson and your old Bernard Manning videos.

As Al Murray and other comedians often say, they worry that people don't actually get the point of their jokes. I'm pretty sure most UKIPpers think the pub landlord tells it like it is. I've got news for you, YOU are actually the butt of the jokes, aww bless you.

So understand the difference between Louis Smith and those comedy giants.

The Life Of Brian was a satire. The Python team crafted the film very carefully with a lot of thought and made a point that they held Jesus and his teachings in the highest regard.

As Professor Burridge, the professor of Biblical Interpretation at King’s, who was presented with the 2013 Ratzinger Prize by Pope Francis – the first non-Roman Catholic ever to receive the award which has been widely likened to a Nobel Prize explains..

'He said: “What is interesting about what Cleese says is that when they sat down to read the gospels they were struck by Jesus, his teaching, and realised that you couldn’t actually make a joke of these things which is why the accusation from Mervyn Stockwood and Malcolm Muggeridge that they were trying to use Jesus was so patently false.

“I think it is an extraordinary tribute to the life and work and teaching of Jesus – that they couldn’t actually blaspheme or make a joke out of it.

“What they did was take ordinary British people and transpose them into an historical setting and did a great satire on closed minds and people who follow blindly.

“Then you have them splitting into factions … it is a wonderful satire on the way that Jesus’s own teaching has been used to persecute others.

“They were satirising closed minds, they were satirising fundamentalism and persecution of others and at the same time saying the one person who rises above all this was Jesus, which I think is remarkable and I think that the church missed that at the time.”

Dave Allen made fun of the Catholic Church and other faiths but it tended to be either affectionate gentle mocking of the clothes and ceremonies and authority figures in the higher echelons of holy orders, or else it was carefully thought out subversive views designed to provoke thought and analysis of the hypocrisy or illogical unscientific reasoning of the established church.

Frankie Boyle is a comedian. He is an offensive comedian who has never managed to offend me.

The reason for that, as Jimmy Carr says, is because you know he is a comedian. You watch him to be offended. You want him to be cruel, you challenge him to offend you.

But he never really does. And do you know why? Because he is a COMEDIAN.

It's all about context. If he actually meant the things he says then it wouldn't be funny. If he was a politician he would be a disgrace.

Louis Smith may not have been nasty with what he did, but he is a public figure and he did it. He accepts it and his punishment. That is it.

Don't try to use this as 'Political Correctness gone mad'.

Political Correctness is about being considerate.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

explain that one

remind me wasn't it made and very funnily too by actors and not athletes who are meant to represent the country?

No. Nor was it okay for him to post his rubbish and nor is it okay for you to condone it.

lady, I do as I please, you feel free to follow your own rule book and I will follow mine"

Your "rule book?" What is that?

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

guess it is okay for him to receive a mountain of death threats"

Why don't you tell me whether it's okay to receive a mountain of death threats as I've made no mention of it? Unless there is a cryptic message in that your post somewhere?

"I do wonder if he has been targeted partly because he is gay. Religion is curiously intolerant when it comes to sexuality. "

He's not gay ?

"Whoa,

There are a few on here seem to be trying to claim the sense of humour high ground by citing Monty Python, Dave Allen, Frankie Boyle etc.

Fuck off.

You don't get to claim them. I recognise some of you posters for your right wing views. None of those would support your views. Stick to Jim Davidson and your old Bernard Manning videos.

As Al Murray and other comedians often say, they worry that people don't actually get the point of their jokes. I'm pretty sure most UKIPpers think the pub landlord tells it like it is. I've got news for you, YOU are actually the butt of the jokes, aww bless you.

The Life Of Brian was a satire. The Python team crafted the film very carefully with a lot of thought and made a point that they held Jesus and his teachings in the highest regard.

As Professor Burridge, the professor of Biblical Interpretation at King’s, who was presented with the 2013 Ratzinger Prize by Pope Francis – the first non-Roman Catholic ever to receive the award which has been widely likened to a Nobel Prize explains..

'He said: “What is interesting about what Cleese says is that when they sat down to read the gospels they were struck by Jesus, his teaching, and realised that you couldn’t actually make a joke of these things which is why the accusation from Mervyn Stockwood and Malcolm Muggeridge that they were trying to use Jesus was so patently false.

“I think it is an extraordinary tribute to the life and work and teaching of Jesus – that they couldn’t actually blaspheme or make a joke out of it.

“What they did was take ordinary British people and transpose them into an historical setting and did a great satire on closed minds and people who follow blindly.

“Then you have them splitting into factions … it is a wonderful satire on the way that Jesus’s own teaching has been used to persecute others.

“They were satirising closed minds, they were satirising fundamentalism and persecution of others and at the same time saying the one person who rises above all this was Jesus, which I think is remarkable and I think that the church missed that at the time.”

Dave Allen made fun of the Catholic Church and other faiths but it tended to be either affectionate gentle mocking of the clothes and ceremonies and authority figures in the higher echelons of holy orders, or else it was carefully thought out subversive views designed to provoke thought and analysis of the hypocrisy or illogical unscientific reasoning of the established church.

Frankie Boyle is a comedian. He is an offensive comedian who has never managed to offend me.

The reason for that, as Jimmy Carr says, is because you know he is a comedian. You watch him to be offended. You want him to be cruel, you challenge him to offend you.

It's all about context. If he actually meant the things he says then it wouldn't be funny. If he was a politician he would be a disgrace.

Louis Smith may not have been nasty with what he did, but he is a public figure and he did it. He accepts it and his punishment. That is it.

"

Yassss!

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

"I wonder how Dave Allen would have got on in this brave new world.

As well as Frankie Boyle, hopefully...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OcQHeypIMg

"

Unfunny sexist s

"Whoa,

"

So it's all about context but your judging Louis smith from a 50 second video with no context?.

He might not have done anything nasty but he accepts the punishment that you and society says he must.... Well that's mighty fine of you, I'll remember that when your mocking donnys hair like you often do in the politics forum?? ... Oh wait your not bothered about offending poor old Donny, an actual person but Mr smith mocking a religion, not a person is deserving of your "punishment" ..... Let's just pick and choose WHO and WHAT you CHOOSE is offensive.... No thanks I like living in a free fucking world, if and i often do I wish to mock people with spurious claims and exaggerated truths with promises that can't be proven i will and if there offended that's their fucking problem in fact that's the whole point of mocking to offend, when people mock Mr trump's hair they do it to offend him because what he says, does and promises is half assed bullshit full of bigotry, intolerance and quite frankly nonsense which encourages his audience into dangerous acts of setting human progress backwards.... Much like Islam!... Allah Akbar

"Whoa,

Fuck off.

"

Fille derobee......beautiful British name

"You are not allowed to Laugh

"

Man this thread....

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Whoa,

Fuck off.

"

well said..

Glastonbury

"Whoa,

Fuck off.

"

*pins medal to Fille Derobee's chest for best post of the week, and it's only Weds*

Good work.

» Add a new message to this topic