FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Missing out on music

Missing out on music

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Have you ever taken someone's word that a band that you've later discovered you really like?

My brother was anti Metallica so I hated them too

Until I heard 'one'

Stupid older brother

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Have you ever taken someone's word that a band that you've later discovered you really like?

Until I heard 'one'

Stupid older brother "

"One" is a fantastic song.

I used to join in with my friends and was against anything that wasn't rock in my awkward teenage years. Since then I've discovered a liking for certain songs from mainstream pop, classical, trance, hip-hop etc. the variety is a breath of fresh air after my stifling music snobbery.

Well in all honestly I don't see all the hatred towards Coldplay. My sister and my hubby Mark have always slated them but I bought a few of their Albums and saw them last year live with a friend and I think they are Superb and they are Awesome live and been the best thing live at Glasto in years in my opinion

Music can be objectified in such ways that people's opinions don't really clarify anything about the music in question

Me I have such a diverse taste in music that couldn't be explained. 90% I couldn't recommend to anyone due to its obscurity or lack of mainstreamness if you like.

I wouldn't let anyone influence my music taste, I recommend you do the same!

"Have you ever taken someone's word that a band that you've later discovered you really like?

Until I heard 'one'

Stupid older brother "

One is the track that turned me into a metalhead! Heard it played at the end of top of the pops in what was possibly 1988 and that was it, I was hooked! I have their M tattoed on my back as part of the word Moi....wish I had gotten into Fall out boy and Panic! At the disco sooner tho...I know they are kinda pop rock but they are fun!

"one" is one of very few Metallica songs that I like however it is probably one of greatest pieces of rock/metal music I have ever heard.

Despite all my friends and peers being massive machine head fans, I absolutely hated them for about 8 years and then one day something just clicked and all of a sudden they were the best thing since sliced bread, although their newer stuff leaves quite a lot to be desired.

I've never really disliked a band or song because others around me do, their poor reviews usually make me give them a listen to see what exactly is so bad about them

Ess

I've grown into bands, I hated the smiths till I was in my thirties, and just 2 years ago discovered Fleetwood mack

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Stockport

Ok well I'll go for a whole genre. Classical music, specifically 20th century composers. My mum and dad were working class and don't like anything poncey. A couple of years ago I started to listen to Steve Reich and Phillip Glass,seems like I'm poncey.

By *andybeachWoman  over a year ago

In the middle

I only started listening to Pink Floyd a few years ago because I thought they were rubbishy prog rock and I only liked heavy metal, ermmm I was shocked and surprised at how much I actually enjoyed the music and certain songs resonate through life

""one" is one of very few Metallica songs that I like however it is probably one of greatest pieces of rock/metal music I have ever heard.

Despite all my friends and peers being massive machine head fans, I absolutely hated them for about 8 years and then one day something just clicked and all of a sudden they were the best thing since sliced bread, although their newer stuff leaves quite a lot to be desired.

I've never really disliked a band or song because others around me do, their poor reviews usually make me give them a listen to see what exactly is so bad about them

Ess"

So when machine head supported them on the Death Magnetic tour you were a happy bunny

Let freedom ring with a shot gun blast

""one" is one of very few Metallica songs that I like however it is probably one of greatest pieces of rock/metal music I have ever heard.

Ess

So when machine head supported them on the Death Magnetic tour you were a happy bunny

Let freedom ring with a shot gun blast

"

I didn't go

Ess

"I've grown into bands, I hated the smiths till I was in my thirties, and just 2 years ago discovered Fleetwood mack

"

i hated the smiths back in the 80s and still do lol but theres a rumour going round they maybe reforming.fleetwood mac on the other hand have allways been brilliant and one of my all time favourite bands

I never let anyone else dictate what i like in music. Always been my own boss there

"I never let anyone else dictate what i like in music. Always been my own boss there "

My brother was like the music gury

I respected his choices

After all

He's a camel fan

I loved One and most of the Metallica black album which I played to death, but so many of their fans turned on them when they released it.

Cold play I generally don't mind, apart from their debut album, which will always be amongst my favourite labums for me.

I've been introduced to quite a few bands that haven't been mainstream through the odd friend. Some don't make music anymore but I still dig out the cd's or find the tracks languishing in obscurity in the depths of the Internet

My favourite Metallica album is And justice for all...I just love em! Apart from St Anger lol

"My favourite Metallica album is And justice for all...I just love em! Apart from St Anger lol "

I don't even think they liked St Anger

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

"Well in all honestly I don't see all the hatred towards Coldplay. My sister and my hubby Mark have always slated them but I bought a few of their Albums and saw them last year live with a friend and I think they are Superb and they are Awesome live and been the best thing live at Glasto in years in my opinion "

Coldplay are brilliant

I love Coldplay too. We have seen them live many times and they are brilliant.

"My favourite Metallica album is And justice for all...I just love em! Apart from St Anger lol

I don't even think they liked St Anger "

I'm not bloody surprised lol

"I've grown into bands, I hated the smiths till I was in my thirties, and just 2 years ago discovered Fleetwood mack

"

Heaven knows were miserable now

I don't listen to other people's critique I just like what I like regardless

"My favourite Metallica album is And justice for all...I just love em! Apart from St Anger lol

I'm not bloody surprised lol "

Whenever I hear anything off this album I'm still 'WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!'

I'm not bloody surprised lol "

Think my fave album is master of puppets

By *uperock99Man  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Savatage-Hall of the Mountain King album is very good

"Savatage-Hall of the Mountain King album is very good"

Bloody hell! That is a band name I haven't heard for a while!!

I used to turn my nose up at anything metal, that was until I heard avenged sevenfold sing nightmare, then I was hooked! Since then I've got in to avenged (seen them live and will be back for more in January), slipknot(also seen live) metallica, bullet and a few others, but also have a love for eminem which will never change!

Friends play me stuff all the time. I like to hear new music. Some of it I love, some of it I don't. But I still love hearing something I've not heard before.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Well in all honestly I don't see all the hatred towards Coldplay. My sister and my hubby Mark have always slated them but I bought a few of their Albums and saw them last year live with a friend and I think they are Superb and they are Awesome live and been the best thing live at Glasto in years in my opinion "

I've seen your Bros & The Cheeky Girls cds as well

I like what I like and dislike white I don't. I remember seeing Radiohead supporting in a pub a couple of times in a pub and they were shit. Really Fucking shit. With just one half decent song. And nothing since has altered that opinion despite loads of flack from many of my friends who worship them.

And never get me started on Nirvana headlining Reading, that was nothing special (and not was the other tine I saw them) and people tell me it was legendary. What bollocks

"Well in all honestly I don't see all the hatred towards Coldplay. My sister and my hubby Mark have always slated them but I bought a few of their Albums and saw them last year live with a friend and I think they are Superb and they are Awesome live and been the best thing live at Glasto in years in my opinion

I've seen your Bros & The Cheeky Girls cds as well "

I know you have and I'm still waiting for you to return them, you've had them ages now

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

I'm more likely to be the converter than the convertee - anyone travelling in my car gets exposed to all sorts.

Recent conversions were HIM and Me First And The Gimme Gimmes

"I like what I like and dislike white I don't. I remember seeing Radiohead supporting in a pub a couple of times in a pub and they were shit. Really Fucking shit. With just one half decent song. And nothing since has altered that opinion despite loads of flack from many of my friends who worship them.

And never get me started on Nirvana headlining Reading, that was nothing special (and not was the other tine I saw them) and people tell me it was legendary. What bollocks

"

You forgot to put

'In my opinion'

By *ellbound_GhoulwarpWoman  over a year ago

Fifth Circle of Hell

"My favourite Metallica album is And justice for all...I just love em! Apart from St Anger lol "

I think i must be one of the few people who really quite liked St Anger and cant stand Death Magnetic lol. Waited ages for Unforgiven 3 to come out and was really let down.

I think i must be one of the few people who really quite liked St Anger and cant stand Death Magnetic lol. Waited ages for Unforgiven 3 to come out and was really let down.

"

Day that never comes is a masterpiece

"I like what I like and dislike white I don't. I remember seeing Radiohead supporting in a pub a couple of times in a pub and they were shit. Really Fucking shit. With just one half decent song. And nothing since has altered that opinion despite loads of flack from many of my friends who worship them.

You forgot to put

'In my opinion' "

I think the first sentence covered that. But given the context of my post and the thread I'm not sure why you felt the need to point that out or why you haven't highlighted similar ommission on countless other posts

You forgot to put

'In my opinion'

I think the first sentence covered that. But given the context of my post and the thread I'm not sure why you felt the need to point that out or why you haven't highlighted similar ommission on countless other posts "

How funny you are

Pretty much every band / artist I've ever taken to heart came to my attention through happenstance rather than by introduction or recommendation..

I like to think that's why they are special to me..

» Add a new message to this topic