FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > SSRI discontinuation syndrome

SSRI discontinuation syndrome

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustfortonight OP   Man  over a year ago

Kent

I haven't discontinued... Just had an unintentional break, but I started getting what I have discovered are called 'brain zaps'.

I'm back taking them as normal now. But it's made me wonder about when I do stop. Even if coming off is properly managed, how long could they last and how bad can I expect them to get?

More importantly, is there anything I can do to minimise them. If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear your experiences and advice.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have an Idea of what your going through mate I was epileptic for years and after every seizure I had the worst headaches, I woukd suggest seeing your gp they may give you some strong painkillers or some mild anti-epileptics or something else either way the gp is your best bet

Kent

"I have an Idea of what your going through mate I was epileptic for years and after every seizure I had the worst headaches, I woukd suggest seeing your gp they may give you some strong painkillers or some mild anti-epileptics or something else either way the gp is your best bet"

That's an interesting thought, I hadn't made any link between them and epilepsy. They've actually stopped now, disappeared after I took the first tablet of the new batch.

Doctor said they were a recognised side offer of stopping, so I'm not so worried about them... Just wondering how long I'll have to put up with them for.

But when the time comes I'll definitely ask about medication to deal with them, cheers.

Well epilepsy at its bare bones is an electrical storm in the brain, thats my basis for linking the two I could be wrong but its worth thinking about incase it comes back or other unexplained things happen such as weird head rushes or if you stare into space with a constant chill through your body for what seems like 2 minutes unable to wake back up and it turns out you were like that for 10 mins (long winded as that seems thats what an absent seizure feels like, its where they think my epilepsy began)

From why I know about them, it's entirely dependant on during, dose, and susceptibility.

Based on friends accounts? You're looking at anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months of feeling like shite though.

I was given the option to use these a couple of years ago and after doing some reading, decided I'd rather not. They are not good drugs in the main.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Coming off SSRIs can be very, very difficult, but it can be done.

I managed it at the third attempt. It's pretty normal and inevitable to get side affects. Unfortunately, many people can't cope with that and end up in a vicious circle of coming off/going back on them.

I'm not someone who is critical of the medical profession, for very personal reasons. However, I do feel many doctors are not aware of these side affects, or underplay their impact.

My advice would be - if you come off them, do it with the agreement of your doctor, but do it slow.

I've posted on forums for many years and seen people who've failed when going at the speed their doctor suggested, but succeeded when cutting their dose much, much slower.

It's better to take a year to come off and succeed than try to get off them in a month, have a terrible experience and go back on them for another two years. Happens all the time.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I wondered if the herb St Johns Wort might help ameliorate the withdrawl and a quick google suggests it can do, you might want to research that. It is an effective mild serotonin/dopamine boost but pretty much free of that kind of side effect, though can cause photo-sensitivity.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I haven't discontinued... Just had an unintentional break, but I started getting what I have discovered are called 'brain zaps'.

I'm back taking them as normal now. But it's made me wonder about when I do stop. Even if coming off is properly managed, how long could they last and how bad can I expect them to get?

More importantly, is there anything I can do to minimise them. If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear your experiences and advice."

It's your body/brain/system readjusting after stopping taking anti-depressants.

I suppose the key question is: Did you stop taking the medication suddenly or was it a phased withdrawal?

There are things that can be done but they usually start with a chat with your doctor...

Kent

It was a sudden stop. Only because I couldn't get to the docs for a follow up and to get a new repeat prescription. I've now been and I'm back on them now and the side effects have stopped.

I know that when I do come off them phasing them out will be how it's done, but I just wanted some idea of what to expect.

St. John's Wort sounds promising, I'll give that a little look, thanks.

By *nterracial2Couple  over a year ago

Ribble Valley

"St. John's Wort sounds promising, I'll give that a little look, thanks."

For the love of God no, it interacts with everything.

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

"It was a sudden stop. Only because I couldn't get to the docs for a follow up and to get a new repeat prescription. I've now been and I'm back on them now and the side effects have stopped.

I know that when I do come off them phasing them out will be how it's done, but I just wanted some idea of what to expect.

St. John's Wort sounds promising, I'll give that a little look, thanks."

pm you x

Glastonbury

"It was a sudden stop. Only because I couldn't get to the docs for a follow up and to get a new repeat prescription. I've now been and I'm back on them now and the side effects have stopped.

St. John's Wort sounds promising, I'll give that a little look, thanks."

This is your problem - a sudden withdrawal.

You clearly want off them, which is fine.

But you must do it slowly or, if you plan on just cutting it out, you'll need to speak to your doctor about alternative meds to mitigate the withdrawal.

...Up on the Downs

"St. John's Wort sounds promising, I'll give that a little look, thanks.

For the love of God no, it interacts with everything."

Not quite 'everything'.....and the German NHS still prescribes it to millions for mild depression as it is found to be as effective as Prozac in some studies ...it is herbal drug, and as such interactions should be taken into consideration, for sure.

Glastonbury

Not quite 'everything'.....and the German NHS still prescribes it to millions for mild depression as it is found to be as effective as Prozac in some studies ...it is herbal drug, and as such interactions should be taken into consideration, for sure."

The problem is not depression, per se, it's mitigating the effect of withdrawal from drugs prescribed to counter-act it.

St John's Wort won't help in this matter, I think

Taking st John's wort with an ssri can cause serotonin syndrome.

I am taking one 10 mg ssri every few days now,it's taken me 17 years to get down to this level and still have terrible depression,anxiety,panic attacks and horrible side effects from not taking them when I should.

It's something you get used to and learn to live with.

Kent

I don't want off them just yet. They are doing their job and I'm quite content to carry on with them.

But I definitely now know not to take any chances and make sure I have the next prescription picked up and ready in plenty of time.

Just off to read up on serotonin syndrome...

Glastonbury

"I don't want off them just yet. They are doing their job and I'm quite content to carry on with them.

But I definitely now know not to take any chances and make sure I have the next prescription picked up and ready in plenty of time.

Just off to read up on serotonin syndrome..."

You need to:

a) have a chat wityh your doctor

b) if you want to come off the meds, taper and do it slowly

I can't say it any more plainly

Try not to get too focused on the side effects or how you're feeling. It's difficult,I know,but if you can take your mind off it and keep your mind occupied it might help. The physical symptoms are aggravating at times.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

"Taking st John's wort with an ssri can cause serotonin syndrome.

I am taking one 10 mg ssri every few days now,it's taken me 17 years to get down to this level and still have terrible depression,anxiety,panic attacks and horrible side effects from not taking them when I should.

It's something you get used to and learn to live with."

Can I ask why if you feel well on them do you not just carry on ? Depression and anxiety is awful, panic attacks are scary

Glastonbury

I'll just talk to myself...

"I don't want off them just yet. They are doing their job and I'm quite content to carry on with them.

Just off to read up on serotonin syndrome...

You need to:

a) have a chat wityh your doctor

b) if you want to come off the meds, taper and do it slowly

I can't say it any more plainly "

The chat with his gp may not enlighten him. No gp has ever had anything to say that helped me. When I was first ill,and extremely ill,my gp told me to stop thinking.

I came away thinking I might as well be dead.

Stupid me took myself off my meds and although I managed to stay relatively symptom free.

I slowly slid into a depressive episode that landed me in hospital for some time.

NOT saying that will happen, just that it's worthwhile pursuing perhaps counselling or something like that to have in place of the crutch of meds.

not sure I made sense just now. ...

Can I ask why if you feel well on them do you not just carry on ? Depression and anxiety is awful, panic attacks are scary"

I'm carrying on with the dosage and as frequently as I remember. After taking one I feel better after a while and realise how shit I was feeling. I only remember to take another when I have a panic attack or feel really down all day. I was on 30mg a day. They make me very tired if I take more.

Kent

"I'll just talk to myself...

"

Sorry,part of my last reply was directed to you. But couldn't 'reply and quote both posts.

I've seen the doctor, it was seeing him that gave me the phrase 'ssri discontinuation syndrome'. While it was a useful conversation, I thought that opted people's experiences my also be useful to know.

Kent

Can I ask why if you feel well on them do you not just carry on ? Depression and anxiety is awful, panic attacks are scary"

I am going to carry on. I'm not due back for a check up for 6 months so I'll take them for at least that long, probably longer. But I know that I can't stay on them indefinitely. So sooner or later I'll have to deal with the symptoms again.

Kent

"not sure I made sense just now. ..."

Yeah you made sense, or least it seems it to me.

I'm on CBT too. Not that this really matters, but I'm taking them for OCD rather than for depression.

Glastonbury

Sorry,part of my last reply was directed to you. But couldn't 'reply and quote both posts.

I've seen the doctor, it was seeing him that gave me the phrase 'ssri discontinuation syndrome'. While it was a useful conversation, I thought that opted people's experiences my also be useful to know."

There will be 100 different ways of coping for 100 different people with their own circumstances.

It seems pretty obvious what the issue was (ie a sudden withdrawal of your meds)...

What isn't clear (and what is crucial) is what is your aim?

Are you trying to come off these for a reason?

Just tried it?

Are you happy on the meds?

Why did you do it?

Kent

I've seen the doctor, it was seeing him that gave me the phrase 'ssri discontinuation syndrome'. While it was a useful conversation, I thought that opted people's experiences my also be useful to know.

There will be 100 different ways of coping for 100 different people with their own circumstances.

It seems pretty obvious what the issue was (ie a sudden withdrawal of your meds)...

Just tried it?

Why did you do it?"

Yeah I'm in agreement aboht sudden withdrawal.

I'm not trying to come off, I just missed a few because I didn't have the next prescription picked up and noticed the symptoms.

Sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post.

Glastonbury

Just tried it?

Why did you do it?

I'm not trying to come off, I just missed a few because I didn't have the next prescription picked up and noticed the symptoms.

Sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post."

Right - so you know the problem and the effect.

Don;t be missing/messing with yr meds!

Kent

Just tried it?

Why did you do it?

Sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post.

Right - so you know the problem and the effect.

Don;t be missing/messing with yr meds!

"

Indeed. Lesson learned.

Ta for the advice (and everyone else too)

...Up on the Downs

Not quite 'everything'.....and the German NHS still prescribes it to millions for mild depression as it is found to be as effective as Prozac in some studies ...it is herbal drug, and as such interactions should be taken into consideration, for sure.

The problem is not depression, per se, it's mitigating the effect of withdrawal from drugs prescribed to counter-act it.

St John's Wort won't help in this matter, I think"

Apparently it can - by providing a stepping stone as it were, a milder version of an srri.

...Up on the Downs

."

Not with - instead of!! Herbal drugs can sometimes be used to replace synthetic drugs where side effects (or side effects of withdrawl) are a problem.

But it seems the OP does not want to come off his meds so moot point.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Everyone's response to medication is different, as is the withdrawal.

Tapering the dose gradually lessens the effects, according to published studies. That should mean that eventually when completely stopped that effects are limited.

An important factor for treatment is that you take as directed for the appropriate period. And that this duration will decrease the possibilities of recurrent symptoms in future. Non-compliance could mean that you undo some of the good work from having taken the med. Ideally once stopped you'd never need to take that or a similar med ever again.

Some prescribers will want to follow a specific plan for ending this treatment.

I think it's important to focus more on the present, rather than a hypothetical future scenario that is somewhat determined by the person responsible for your care.

» Add a new message to this topic