FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hull, City of Culture 2017

Hull, City of Culture 2017

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I like Hull, my Dad comes from there. The beauty of being neglected is that a distinct identity develops, and a lot of the original buildings remain (at least those not destroyed in the blitz). The Maritime Museum in the old harbour offices is brilliant, straight from my childhood, and not a bit interactive or trendy. The toilets under Queen Victoria's statue are a miracle of Edwardian sanitary engineering. The best I have ever seen.

Now the entire city centre is being dug up in preparation for 2017. I suppose my fear is that Hull will become like every other city that has been 'regenerated'. Call me a sentimental, reactionary southern namby pamby. But I fear for Hull...there is a creeping tide of granite paving, public street sculpture, stainless steel and glass facades, and it is coming to this great city. What are your views?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

I don't know much about Hull but I think you give good post

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I've never been to Hull, but I once met a man from Hull for a social...

"I've never been to Hull, but I once met a man from Hull for a social... "

Go to Hull before its too late! Well at least he didn't smell of fish I hope. We have Iceland and the Cod War to thank for that!

"I don't know much about Hull but I think you give good post "

Thank you. I really should get out more...

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I don't know much about Hull but I think you give good post

Thank you. I really should get out more..."

How very Private Eye

In my opinion, Liverpool benefited from the investment which came from its capital of culture status in 2000. Newcastle lost out, but has still benefited from regeneration. It's nice to hark back to some kind of good old days, but that's not a viable reality for most modern cities. Adapt or die.

"In my opinion, Liverpool benefited from the investment which came from its capital of culture status in 2000. Newcastle lost out, but has still benefited from regeneration. It's nice to hark back to some kind of good old days, but that's not a viable reality for most modern cities. Adapt or die. "

Yes, jobs and decent infrastructure, not trendy window dressing. I agree. I just hope the best of the old can be retained and not homogenised into 'modern city' as often is the case. There is plenty of 50's architectural brutalism that needs dealing with. As for jobs, Siemens is coming to the docks. Hull is ideally placed for the offshore wind turbine industry.

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

"I like Hull, my Dad comes from there. The beauty of being neglected is that a distinct identity develops, and a lot of the original buildings remain (at least those not destroyed in the blitz). The Maritime Museum in the old harbour offices is brilliant, straight from my childhood, and not a bit interactive or trendy. The toilets under Queen Victoria's statue are a miracle of Edwardian sanitary engineering. The best I have ever seen.

Now the entire city centre is being dug up in preparation for 2017. I suppose my fear is that Hull will become like every other city that has been 'regenerated'. Call me a sentimental, reactionary southern namby pamby. But I fear for Hull...there is a creeping tide of granite paving, public street sculpture, stainless steel and glass facades, and it is coming to this great city. What are your views? "

do they still have the poems on the walls there and the fresh flowers in the loos

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Ma mam's side of the family come from Hull, although I've not been up there for about 15 yrs apart from going to a couple of football matches. From what I remember there were some fine buildings, but it did need a bit of regeneration

I've been to Hull a few times and I love the place

Even though born and brought up on the mean streets of Hessle Rd and Orchard Park don't fervently love the place but am concerned that the real Hull is being brushed under the carpet so monied yuppie types can feel "at home".

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The images on the news look like sensitive regeneration and not glass and steel gentrification.

"The images on the news look like sensitive regeneration and not glass and steel gentrification.

"

There's plenty of that near the marina, used to be a fantastic little fresh fish shop there 'till is was forced to move.

"I like Hull, my Dad comes from there. The beauty of being neglected is that a distinct identity develops, and a lot of the original buildings remain (at least those not destroyed in the blitz). The Maritime Museum in the old harbour offices is brilliant, straight from my childhood, and not a bit interactive or trendy. The toilets under Queen Victoria's statue are a miracle of Edwardian sanitary engineering. The best I have ever seen.

Now the entire city centre is being dug up in preparation for 2017. I suppose my fear is that Hull will become like every other city that has been 'regenerated'. Call me a sentimental, reactionary southern namby pamby. But I fear for Hull...there is a creeping tide of granite paving, public street sculpture, stainless steel and glass facades, and it is coming to this great city. What are your views? "

When you are listing the public toilets Edwardian sanitary engineering as one of the city's main attractions then it is quite clearly the time to regenerate the place

"I like Hull, my Dad comes from there. The beauty of being neglected is that a distinct identity develops, and a lot of the original buildings remain (at least those not destroyed in the blitz). The Maritime Museum in the old harbour offices is brilliant, straight from my childhood, and not a bit interactive or trendy. The toilets undier Queen Victoria's statue are a miracle of Edwardian sanitary engineering. The best I have ever seen.

Now the entire city centre is being dug up in preparation for 2017. I suppose my fear is that Hull will become like every other city that has been 'regenerated'. Call me a sentimental, reactionary southern namby pamby. But I fear for Hull...there is a creeping tide of granite paving, public street sculpture, stainless steel and glass facades, and it is coming to this great city. What are your views? do they still have the poems on the walls there and the fresh flowers in the loos"

I didnt see any poems or flowers, but there was an office for the attendant, and no 20p charge or turnstiles. Clean tiled floors and walls, stupendous sanitary ware of monumental proportions made in Burnley, and a profusion of polished brass pipes. Sublime. I urge people to visit.

"The images on the news look like sensitive regeneration and not glass and steel gentrification.

"

I do hope so. My worry is that the regeneration consultants will be brought in...I so hope I am proved to be worrying needlessly.

Now the entire city centre is being dug up in preparation for 2017. I suppose my fear is that Hull will become like every other city that has been 'regenerated'. Call me a sentimental, reactionary southern namby pamby. But I fear for Hull...there is a creeping tide of granite paving, public street sculpture, stainless steel and glass facades, and it is coming to this great city. What are your views?

When you are listing the public toilets Edwardian sanitary engineering as one of the city's main attractions then it is quite clearly the time to regenerate the place "

These things loom large for men of a certain age! But point taken.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I do hope so. My worry is that the regeneration consultants will be brought in...I so hope I am proved to be worrying needlessly."

Have a look at the images. There's still a lot of work to do to be ready for January.

I like Victorian public conveniences too.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

There seemed to be as many roadworks as London - I empathise!!

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

Looks like Hull going to be holed below the water line.

Worked there for a couple of years and commuted from Barnsley.

Had some excellent nights out and lucky enough to bag a Swanland princess for some filthy fun.

Investment is great but cant help think in 15 years will it looks as good

It is a great city, definitely in need of a bit of love and attention in certain areas, but I've no doubt it will retain its charm because of the people.

There seemed to be as many roadworks as London - I empathise!! "

The entire centre of Hull was closed to traffic last Sunday. Maybe best to have massive disruption in one hit?

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

The entire centre of Hull was closed to traffic last Sunday. Maybe best to have massive disruption in one hit? "

Yes, that seems to be the theory in London too sometimes....

I do hope so. My worry is that the regeneration consultants will be brought in...I so hope I am proved to be worrying needlessly.

Have a look at the images. There's still a lot of work to do to be ready for January.

I like Victorian public conveniences too.

"

Talking as as man, I prefer a concealing vitreous urinal to a communal stainless steel trough any day!

Will it bring thousands more people into the place in a very short space of time?

Be prepared for travel chaos,no school places,longer waiting times for a gp appointment and blocks of flats appearing on every square metre of land.

The air quality could drop substantially too.

We pay heavily for progress.

The entire centre of Hull was closed to traffic last Sunday. Maybe best to have massive disruption in one hit?

Yes, that seems to be the theory in London too sometimes.... "

One hit lasting years.

"Will it bring thousands more people into the place in a very short space of time?

Be prepared for travel chaos,no school places,longer waiting times for a gp appointment and blocks of flats appearing on every square metre of land.

The air quality could drop substantially too.

We pay heavily for progress. "

That is the nightmare scenario. However, Hull is not in a great location for links to the rest of the UK, so I doubt it will happen. I hope that it will rejuvenate the place, open people's eyes to its proud heritage, create new spaces for cultural revival, and make it a truly great city for its citizens. I suspect a lot of luvvies will be helicoptered in...let's hope for some 'legacy'from all this.

» Add a new message to this topic