FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Motorway driving lessons

Motorway driving lessons

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Should motorway driving lessons be compulsory?

I believe it should. The amount of people who lane hog, undertake and believe there is a "fast lane" is way too high

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes! Partly because I'm a pussy when it comes to driving on the motorway, the m6 terrifies me because it's full of arseholes

By *iss.HoneyWoman  over a year ago

"Should motorway driving lessons be compulsory?

I believe it should. The amount of people who lane hog, undertake and believe there is a "fast lane" is way too high "

There isn't a fast lane??

I believe it should. The amount of people who lane hog, undertake and believe there is a "fast lane" is way too high

There isn't a fast lane?? "

I almost popped a blood vessel

No because you can't educate stupid

"No because you can't educate stupid "

Wouldnt say their stupid. Travelling on huge stretches of road at high speeds and not bothering to read the rules is more ignorant then anything

By *ogistical NightmaresCouple  over a year ago

Manchester Area

When I (f) passed my test many years ago. I took a motorway driving lesson. Best thing I ever did. And yes think there should be some rule that says until one is taken, you cannot drive on motorways. Don't know how easy it would be to police tho

"No because you can't educate stupid

Wouldnt say their stupid. Travelling on huge stretches of road at high speeds and not bothering to read the rules is more ignorant then anything "

You're right, let's call them stupidly ignorant.

"No because you can't educate stupid

Wouldnt say their stupid. Travelling on huge stretches of road at high speeds and not bothering to read the rules is more ignorant then anything

You're right, let's call them stupidly ignorant.

"

I like it

"When I (f) passed my test many years ago. I took a motorway driving lesson. Best thing I ever did. And yes think there should be some rule that says until one is taken, you cannot drive on motorways. Don't know how easy it would be to police tho"

I did my pass plus when i passed years ago and it shown me how wrong i was about some rules

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Yes; it's crazy that learners are not allowed on motorways at all to experience it.

To get your license in Germany ;

You must keep a log book as a learner; and

Prove a certain number of hours driving ;

1.On the Autobahn

2. At night

3. In rain.

Similar in France; driving instructors must take pupils for at least one night drive, and on an autoroute.

I believe that all learners should also be required to have a one hour session on a skid pan, too.

By *oddyWoman  over a year ago

between havant and chichester

A local driving instructor by me as soon as you have passed your test books you for 4 free lessons on the motorway 2 at day and 2 at night he never gets any fails

I almost popped a blood vessel "

Middle lane hogs really grind my gears. You just sit there crawling along at 60 hun

"No because you can't educate stupid "

They bring you down to the level they are and then beat you with experience

Middle lane hogs really grind my gears. You just sit there crawling along at 60 hun "

Really fucks me off. Cant undertake them so you have to go over two lanes just to get round them and then back over the two lanes again to get back into lane 1

(Angry face emoji)

Middle lane hogs really grind my gears. You just sit there crawling along at 60 hun

Really fucks me off. Cant undertake them so you have to go over two lanes just to get round them and then back over the two lanes again to get back into lane 1

(Angry face emoji)"

Wait you can't undertake them??

(Angry face emoji)

Wait you can't undertake them?? "

fuck off

(Angry face emoji)

Wait you can't undertake them??

fuck off "

I just want to clarify that I stick to the rules at all times. I am exceptionally good at doing as I am told

B4 I took my test my instructor took me on multiple duel carriageways. Now many years later as a class 1 /LGV hazardous/ADR driver I can see the benefit. Don't they do that now then ?

"B4 I took my test my instructor took me on multiple duel carriageways. Now many years later as a class 1 /LGV hazardous/ADR driver I can see the benefit. Don't they do that now then ?"

No you can pass your driving test and be legally allowed to drive on motorways without actually having too see one

By *mstillere2Man  over a year ago

middleport

yes as I dont drive but my friend trying to get too London from north wales without using motorway.

Well it was that much fun trying to plan i got the train.

"B4 I took my test my instructor took me on multiple duel carriageways. Now many years later as a class 1 /LGV hazardous/ADR driver I can see the benefit. Don't they do that now then ?

No you can pass your driving test and be legally allowed to drive on motorways without actually having too see one"

My point being under the right conditions moterways are the same as duel carridgway . Multiple lanes and higher speed limits so if you can drive on a a duel carriageway then just transfer those skills to the moterway.

"B4 I took my test my instructor took me on multiple duel carriageways. Now many years later as a class 1 /LGV hazardous/ADR driver I can see the benefit. Don't they do that now then ?

No you can pass your driving test and be legally allowed to drive on motorways without actually having too see one

My point being under the right conditions moterways are the same as duel carridgway . Multiple lanes and higher speed limits so if you can drive on a a duel carriageway then just transfer those skills to the moterway. "

No i agree. The guy in the middle lane doesnt that common sense though

"B4 I took my test my instructor took me on multiple duel carriageways. Now many years later as a class 1 /LGV hazardous/ADR driver I can see the benefit. Don't they do that now then ?"

Oh they do..lets just say I know

Yes oh goodness absolutely!

3 days after I passed my test Superman me drive most of the way from the south of England up to Scotland....absolutely bricking it but the best thing that ever happened to me. Living in Germany too for 6 years has helped the Autobahn is really something else.

On Sunday I saw a driver on the motorway with L plates on (has the law changed where they can now drive on the motorway as learners? )

driving a huge Ford Pickup and really should not have been on the moterway in my opinion, weaving in and out of traffic at peaktime too and cutting other drivers up!! It clearly wasn't a driving instructor that was sat in the passenger seat either

My point being under the right conditions moterways are the same as duel carridgway . Multiple lanes and higher speed limits so if you can drive on a a duel carriageway then just transfer those skills to the moterway. "

Yeah it's would be a waste of time and money imo.

People can't keep left on 3 Lane dual carriageways so why would they be better on motorways?

They just need to make the test harder. Too many fuckwits get given a license.

I'm a biker, cyclist and van driver.

Middle lane hogging is pretty much unenforceable.

Maybe just more signs like this are needed:

"KEEP FUCKING LEFT WHEN NOT OVERTAKING YOU RETARDED CUNTS"

My point being under the right conditions moterways are the same as duel carridgway . Multiple lanes and higher speed limits so if you can drive on a a duel carriageway then just transfer those skills to the moterway.

Yeah it's would be a waste of time and money imo.

People can't keep left on 3 Lane dual carriageways so why would they be better on motorways?

They just need to make the test harder. Too many fuckwits get given a license.

I'm a biker, cyclist and van driver.

Middle lane hogging is pretty much unenforceable.

Maybe just more signs like this are needed:

"KEEP FUCKING LEFT WHEN NOT OVERTAKING YOU RETARDED CUNTS"

"

Id be happy for that to come out of my taxes

I believe it should. The amount of people who lane hog, undertake and believe there is a "fast lane" is way too high "

Motorways are so easy to navigate. More so than most other roads tbh. Training won't help. People know they're not driving on them properly. They just can't be arsed

Motorways are so easy to navigate. More so than most other roads tbh. Training won't help. People know they're not driving on them properly. They just can't be arsed"

You be surprised. A friend was telling me about a guy who was tailgating him on the motorway. He said he was doing 70 in the fast lane so felt he had the right to stay there. I could have kicked him the baby maker

"Yes; it's crazy that learners are not allowed on motorways at all to experience it.

1.On the Autobahn

2. At night

3. In rain.

Similar in France; driving instructors must take pupils for at least one night drive, and on an autoroute.

I believe that all learners should also be required to have a one hour session on a skid pan, too.

"

It's similar in the US. We don't have to keep a log, but we have to attest to having driven a certain number of hours on the highway, in the rain, and in the dark before we can sit for our driver's test (in New York, anyway).

I like driving on the motorway now, but the first time I ever did it I was pretty nervous. I can't imagine not letting someone even go on it before getting their license!

I agree tests should be made harder to keep up with volume increase. As it has previously when a driving test was simply driving a few blocks with the examiner on the corner of the street.

I would, as suggested include night driving, more multilane road driving and make everyone do their CBT at least if not a full bike test before letting them surround their cozy selves with a death trap (car).

More bikes, less cars

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

It's not the fast lane, it's MY lane.

"Yes oh goodness absolutely!

3 days after I passed my test Superman me drive most of the way from the south of England up to Scotland....absolutely bricking it but the best thing that ever happened to me. Living in Germany too for 6 years has helped the Autobahn is really something else.

On Sunday I saw a driver on the motorway with L plates on (has the law changed where they can now drive on the motorway as learners? )

driving a huge Ford Pickup and really should not have been on the moterway in my opinion, weaving in and out of traffic at peaktime too and cutting other drivers up!! It clearly wasn't a driving instructor that was sat in the passenger seat either

"

Ya do know your only allowed to go a certain speed when you have r plates?

I don't understand how people get it so wrong on motorways everyone is driving in the same direction personally I would say driving around towns and tight country roads is harder to get to grips with but time and time again people prove me wrong on this. Maybe if everyone wasn't looking at there phone etc there wouldn't be as many problems but it's like they come off the slip road and disengage there brain and become idiots

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I don't know whether we can make serious inroads to improve our abysmal driving standards now. It follows the me, me, me attitude and is influenced by overseas drivers who are often bad on our roads too.

I'd include fast dual carriageways and motorways on testing. And have more frequent tests - some would abhor this. Perhaps a test every 2 to 5 years, funding more road police to find bad drivers misusing roads.

I'd estimate that half of our drivers are inadequate at least.

Few points:

1) Thought if traffic flow dictates you could under take?

2) If I'm in the middle or even outer lane doing 70mph how can I be holding someone up?

3) You'd be pretty much screwed if you lived in Cornwall if you had to learn on a motorway.

"Yes; it's crazy that learners are not allowed on motorways at all to experience it.

1.On the Autobahn

2. At night

3. In rain.

"

If you look at the fatalities figures, not that were perfect, but....you'll see that the UK has half the death rate than France or Germany.... In fact the UK has one of the lowest death rates in the entire world.

Maybe France and Germany should learn from us....

"Few points:

2) If I'm in the middle or even outer lane doing 70mph how can I be holding someone up?

3) You'd be pretty much screwed if you lived in Cornwall if you had to learn on a motorway.

"

You shouldn't be driving in the middle or outer lane if your not overtaking, regardless of what speed you or anybody else is doing.

Move to the right, over take, move back to the left.

cha cha real smooth

By *axandbooCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Ive done most of my driving licence from car, bus, motorcycle, pcv, lgv and others.

Personally i think the standards for driving in Britain are pretty low compared to other countries.

I believe greenland learners have a 3 year wait before talking their tests where they drive in all weather's and skid pan train...which is why they have the most skilled drivers in the world.

However its not just driving standards that need changing, its driving laws too. These need to be bought up to date to reflect the cars of today

"Few points:

You shouldn't be driving in the middle or outer lane if your not overtaking, regardless of what speed you or anybody else is doing.

cha cha real smooth"

I can only assume you don't travel much on the motorway, the inside lane, certainly during the day, is full of lorries. So, rather than been accused of lane weaving isn't it better to, in those situations, stay in the middle lane at 70mph progressively overtaking lorries?

Again, if I'm travelling at 70 mph how can I be holding up traffic even if I'm in the outer lane? Also in I'm in the outer lane travelling at 70 then a car undertakes then surely they must be breaking the speed limit?

You know most of the worst offenders have been driving years and would say they don't need to learn anything.

Middle lane hogs really grind my gears. You just sit there crawling along at 60 hun "

One on the m4 last Friday, when I finally got into the queue to over take I could see into the cab (it was a panel van) and he had a sheaf of papers out over the steering wheel and was reading

"Few points:

cha cha real smooth

I can only assume you don't travel much on the motorway, the inside lane, certainly during the day, is full of lorries. So, rather than been accused of lane weaving isn't it better to, in those situations, stay in the middle lane at 70mph progressively overtaking lorries?

Again, if I'm travelling at 70 mph how can I be holding up traffic even if I'm in the outer lane? Also in I'm in the outer lane travelling at 70 then a car undertakes then surely they must be breaking the speed limit?"

The right hand lane is just for over taking whatever speed you're doing

One on the m4 last Friday, when I finally got into the queue to over take I could see into the cab (it was a panel van) and he had a sheaf of papers out over the steering wheel and was reading "

Nah, he was looking at the pictures and miming

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

just playing devils advocate here but can the op please explain how someone from any where north of Perth or west of Chester goes for these motorway lessons .if you are learning to drive in Aberdeen your nearest motorway is 100 miles away and then it's only two lane

carrbrook stalybridge

"Few points:

cha cha real smooth

Again, if I'm travelling at 70 mph how can I be holding up traffic even if I'm in the outer lane? Also in I'm in the outer lane travelling at 70 then a car undertakes then surely they must be breaking the speed limit?"

ots not lane weaving it's driving correctly drive in lane one pull out overtake pull back in if you use your mirrors and plan ahead properly you should not have any difficultys requires concentration and awareness something to many don't have as they are chatting on the phone updating Facebook fiddling with the satnav /radio so would rather plough along the middle lane oblivious to the world around them

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

No people should simply be taught how to drive rather tahn taught how to pass their driving test.

It should go back to the days of if you fail a test you have to wait six months before you can apply again.

That would reduce the numbers who simply keep taking tests until they manage to pass one by accident.

its your lane bob, if thats the case you must be either a BMW driver, or you havent read the highway code properly BMW drivers think the outside lane on a motorway is for them alone & they dont have indicators fitted as standard to their cars, motorway lessons should be compulsory & so should night driving as well as in rain & icy conditions.

The outside lane is for overtaking only unless you are on the M25 then all lanes are the fast lane

Agreed with you there. They need to understand the lanes are for over taking and when ever possible they should be in lane 1 and 2

By *ecretgamesMan  over a year ago

the moon

There's always the hard shoulder if you run out of lanes!!

"You know most of the worst offenders have been driving years and would say they don't need to learn anything."

Very true my grandfather bless him drove almost everywhere in second gear. The car would be screaming and the amount of wing mirrors he replaced was daft.

Maybe they should retest at a certain age too.

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

"There's always the hard shoulder if you run out of lanes!! "

On a number of motorways the hard shoulder no longer exists it has been changed to a running lane or even more dangerously a running lane at certain times.

Trouble is if there is an accident the emergency services can't get to the scene as all lanes are then blocked

"Few points:

cha cha real smooth

If your over taking then yes you are using the middle lane then what its used for.

I dont get why you keep bringing this "im doing 70mph who am i holding up" argument. Because it really is a dumb argument. But I'll humour you.

What if your speedo is out and you think youre travelling at 70 but youre actually doing 67? Im behind you wanting to travel at 70 but youre holding me up because of your "this is my lane" attitude.

Stay in the left lane as much as possible. Its that simple

London and France

If your speedo says 70, then you are actually doing about 67.

I work on the " 10%+2 " rules for speed.

A lot of people pass their test and the first thing they say is they are afraid of the motorway. I think yea

"If your speedo says 70, then you are actually doing about 67.

"

When using a sat nav it can be surprising how far out your speedo is

I agree with the sentiment of the others I drive a lot for work and people are brain dead motorways need to be taught to the plebs.

I have had them try to untake me as I have pulled out to go around a lorry etc. Steam down the on ramp and pull out to lane 3. That ended up with me taking the jeep down the motorway sideways.

I also ride motorbikes and cycle and I try not to ride on the motorway with my motorbike as I find it nerve-wracking.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

"Yes! Partly because I'm a pussy when it comes to driving on the motorway, the m6 terrifies me because it's full of arseholes "

Me too .... I go into a panic even if im a passanger .... m5 m6 m42 ......I will go the scenic route anytime ...

Yes they do. My instructor made me do it, and I only passed at start if this year;

By *ficouldMan  over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

I know this will annoy a few people.

I use the M25 most days. I use my private lanes 1 / 2 making progress, safely without having to worry about people tailgating me, my speed is never above the current speed limit, I do however find that when I get along side the drivers in the lane to the right of mine that they seem to slow. If i was to go around them to the right they would indeed speed up.

So please all, keep using the Fast lane

and alow my continued use of lanes one and two in an unhindered time efficient manner.

Ps, I have had a Few chats with motor police officers and all wouldn't book me for this, as long as my road speed is with sensible speeds in relation to other road users.

London and France

"If your speedo says 70, then you are actually doing about 67.

When using a sat nav it can be surprising how far out your speedo is"

By law in UK and in just about every other country, a speedo must not under- read speed ( i.e. It is illegal for it to read 68 if the real speed is 70).

Because it is extremely difficult ( impossible ) to make a speedometer absolutely accurate ; manufacturers put a " safety margin " on it. That used to be about 5-8 %. With more accurate modern instruments, it is now about 3% generally.

" Again, if I'm travelling at 70 mph how can I be holding up traffic even if I'm in the outer lane? "

There we have it. You don't want to speed so no one else can? You don't get to decide how I drive.

Cool. You don't want to speed. I will take my chances at 80 but I can't overtake because you're in the wrong lane.

Keep left and it's not an issue.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Few points:

cha cha real smooth

It is not your role to make predictions upon others' speeds based on law, whilst flouting driving and overtaking rules. Every driver must stay within the lane that's most to the left, except when overtaking a specific vehicle. Keep left. Emergency and other vehicles may be driving at a speed that you're not predicting - in fact, an ambulance could be transporting someone who was not following driving rules who was involved in an accident. An ambulance sitting in a queue of drivers hogging outer lanes may find that their patient's recovery is harmed or they do not make it out from the slowed traffic alive.

People with licenses have plenty of choice to secure further training as a driver, tmprove their standards. They'd ideally have an open mind and would really listen and hear the feedback that they were given.

My bet is that many drivers would be unwilling to drive as they normally do, whilst accompanied by a driving test examiner, if their license continuation depended upon it.

" Again, if I'm travelling at 70 mph how can I be holding up traffic even if I'm in the outer lane?

There we have it. You don't want to speed so no one else can? You don't get to decide how I drive.

Cool. You don't want to speed. I will take my chances at 80 but I can't overtake because you're in the wrong lane.

"

Actual I do mostly but point seems to be that the "annoyed" just want to speed and break the law and law abiding people can't drive properly. Just playing at Devil's advocate really.

" Again, if I'm travelling at 70 mph how can I be holding up traffic even if I'm in the outer lane?

Actual I do mostly but point seems to be that the "annoyed" just want to speed and break the law and law abiding people can't drive properly. Just playing at Devil's advocate really. "

Well if you're not moving left at every opportunity to do so then no you can't drive properly.

It's not lane weaving as you put it, it's using the motorway correctly.

Too many drivers don't do it. If they did then the person doing 90 in the nearside (right hand) lane wouldn't be an issue.

You see it all the time. Left hand lane empty, 2 outside lanes full.

There's no need for it and it's the reason people tailgate and overtake.

*undertake not overtake

I think when you're able to drive the instructor should take you on the motorway, no additional cost should be made for it. After all they're driving lessons, so why leave the motorway out, especially when the majority have to end up using it anyway.

It's not new drivers who are middle lane hogging or undertaking, it's the morons that think they rule the road. The law for these two offences should be enforced, the amount that sit in middle lane because they have cruise control on, go on the inside lane and stick it on, don't need to go round 2 lanes to overtake one car because they didn't want to move.

"I think when you're able to drive the instructor should take you on the motorway, no additional cost should be made for it. After all they're driving lessons, so why leave the motorway out, especially when the majority have to end up using it anyway.

"

Because it really isn't necessary.

The only difference between a multi lane A road and a motorway is the colour of the sign.

The principle is the same.

Actually from experience of driving in Germany I found the fact people were driving faster in the outside lanes meant more drivers keep to the inside lane when not overtaking.

People don't sit in the middle lane because they might have someone coming up their arse at 150 mph.

*chortle* I said coming up their arse

carrbrook stalybridge

"I think when you're able to drive the instructor should take you on the motorway, no additional cost should be made for it. After all they're driving lessons, so why leave the motorway out, especially when the majority have to end up using it anyway.

It's not new drivers who are middle lane hogging or undertaking, it's the morons that think they rule the road. The law for these two offences should be enforced, the amount that sit in middle lane because they have cruise control on, go on the inside lane and stick it on, don't need to go round 2 lanes to overtake one car because they didn't want to move."

so your expecting a driving instructer to drive a pupil from Aberdeen to perth 200mile round trip for a free lesson ?? same goes in norwich cornwall holyhead all miles from the nearest motorway .

I work with a lot of driving instructors and it's completely up to the instructor if he decides to give the student some dual carriageway practice. Quite a few only teach the student what is needed to pass their test. Many only learn the test route. So some students may never drive on a dual carriageway or fast road before passing their test. If you did get some your lucky as a lot don't.

Pass plus has been mentioned and it's great for new drivers, 6 extra hours covering all the things you didn't do in the test including motorways. If you live in Wales subsidised by Welsh government so only costs £20

Why it isn't included as part of the test is beyond me!

carrbrook stalybridge

because there are many places where there is no easy access to motorways to take the test on midd &north wales ,east anglia, all of scotland north of perth ,isle of mann isle of white hebrediese orkneys gurnse jersey and thats just a few

» Add a new message to this topic