By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Name a band you really liked

Then they sold out and went now dislike them

Mine would be

Stereophonics

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Jamiroqoi. First album about saving Mother Earth now that prick jay kay loves super cars

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Very harsh to say that a band "sells out" it is their profession and they have to make money out of it (you would be surprised how many still have 'day' jobs).

But I know what you mean, I thought punk was dead when Siouxsie and the Banshees signed to Polydor.

The Sex Pistols.. Johnny Rotten the wild guy of Punk Legend Status advertising butter and selling him self out in the Jungle

Bands get accused of selling out all the time because they change their sound. What are they supposed to do, just keep putting out the same album over and over again? In a lot of cases people may not like the new sound but it doesn't mean they sold out.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Very harsh to say that a band "sells out" it is their profession and they have to make money out of it (you would be surprised how many still have 'day' jobs).

But I know what you mean, I thought punk was dead when Siouxsie and the Banshees signed to Polydor."

Correct answer

"The Sex Pistols.. Johnny Rotten the wild guy of Punk Legend Status advertising butter and selling him self out in the Jungle"

The sex pistols were never in to sell out. They were a product, the boy band version of punk music, manufactured by Malcolm McLaren. They became icons of punk music through good marketing, rather than being genuine punk rockers.

By *GHertsCouple  over a year ago

North Herts

As others have said bands/artists have to make a living somehow and if they're offered stupid sums of money to endorse something or appear on a particular show etc who am I to criticise them? I know I wouldn't turn it down if offered (unless it was something that went totally against my beliefs and principles).

There are very few bands that haven't sold out in some way or another...was going to hold The Clash up as one till I remembered the Levis ad using Should I Stay Or Should I Go

Mr G

There is a quote from miles hunt of the wonder stuff along the lines of "when you all said we sold out, or as I prefer to call it, buy in"Iquote like that.

I hate the talk of bands selling out, it's so difficult to make a living in a band why wouldn't someone sign a better deal with a bigger record label or agree to their music being in an advert? Obviously there are limits to that argument but if it sits comfortably with the artist, who cares?

"As others have said bands/artists have to make a living somehow and if they're offered stupid sums of money to endorse something or appear on a particular show etc who am I to criticise them? I know I wouldn't turn it down if offered (unless it was something that went totally against my beliefs and principles).

There are very few bands that haven't sold out in some way or another...was going to hold The Clash up as one till I remembered the Levis ad using Should I Stay Or Should I Go

Mr G "

And the royalties from that meant Topper Headon was secure and not working as a minicab driver. I can live with that far better than the tHoughton of Strummer, Jones and Simanon saying "sorry topper we know you haven't got a pit to piss in but we have to say no"

By *omez42Man  over a year ago

gloucester

U2 went down hill after Rattle & Hum.

The energy of the Red Rocks era got lost

By *GHertsCouple  over a year ago

North Herts

"As others have said bands/artists have to make a living somehow and if they're offered stupid sums of money to endorse something or appear on a particular show etc who am I to criticise them? I know I wouldn't turn it down if offered (unless it was something that went totally against my beliefs and principles).

Mr G

And the royalties from that meant Topper Headon was secure and not working as a minicab driver. I can live with that far better than the tHoughton of Strummer, Jones and Simanon saying "sorry topper we know you haven't got a pit to piss in but we have to say no""

Exactly...he's doing alright for himself now but Lee Thompson of Madness spent time working as a bin man after their original split...but the same would have applied to him had they of done ads etc....oh wait...they did

Mr G

"sell outs" to me implies that the band is now making music they wouldn't make without the influence of money?.

There's plenty who stayed under the radar and still made money... Robert smith from the cure always seemed to refuse the big money to keep making music he liked, his attitude was always if somebody else likes it as well, then that's great!.

I think most big mainstream musicians "sell out" to some extent for either money or popularity, I remember listening to an interview with Kate bush when she first came along and how she said they all wanted her to change, clothes, style, lyrics... And said no thanks, I'll do it myself, there's not many who do that though

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If I go to a gig and adverts come on the big screen

It's a sell out

Corporate bullshit

I understand the lure of the mighty dollar

I'd also accept a band who are struggling to compromise but only if it's used as a stepping stone to go back to the music they want to make once established

"The Sex Pistols.. Johnny Rotten the wild guy of Punk Legend Status advertising butter and selling him self out in the Jungle"

The funds from the ad helped pay for a new PIL album.

To be fair it was 20+ years of no income before he advertised butter, even rebels need to eat

» Add a new message to this topic