FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > depression who has suffered

depression who has suffered

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ive suffered with it in the past is there such thing as a cure

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Me.

Look at the Black Dog video on youtube. Explains it rather well.

I can't say if there is a cure or not.

By *lla_maiWoman  over a year ago

staffordshire

Id say theres ways and means of dealing with it to minimise the possibility, but not so sure theres a cure

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Medication and lots of counselling is the key I am bi polar highs and big lows postnatal depression went undiagnosed until I got sectioned worst days of my life but there is good resources out there. MIND, the Samaritans it is good to talk also to keep a mood diary. Like I said on a previous thread men fear it and very high statistics with men with mental health issues and suicide men are more likely to commit suicide than women so very sad if you are feeling low then please seek help x

Maybe a question better asked to a mental health professional......

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I do.

I'm not sure about a cure as it depends what sort of depression you have. Lots of people can experience relatively short term, reactive depression that they get over and never have another episode.

Others of us have recurring episodes.

Since hearing this I am posting it on every depression thread:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pj2pw

The Inflamed Mind explores the work on autoimmune diseases as a cause of depression and treatments using anti-inflammatory drugs rather than anti-depressants.

By *hekaiserMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I go through peaks and troughs ... im not bi-polar.

Its all to do with where i am in life right now....ive found working out in the gym helps me take my mind off things. I havent read comments left by others but suggest you pick a hobby to help take you focus elsewhere.

Good luck...

Anxiety yes,i got tinnitus from it which is making me depressed......irony

"Anxiety yes,i got tinnitus from it which is making me depressed......irony"

Check out the link I posted above. I have tinnitus too but it appears to be linked to my autoimmune issues.

Therapy, mindfulness, eat well, exercise.

"Maybe a question better asked to a mental health professional......"

It's good to talk

Good friends.

Support of family if possible.

It's not easy but one can live a happier life by often understanding it's an illness and not your fault.

That it can be managed with the right tools.

"Id say theres ways and means of dealing with it to minimise the possibility, but not so sure theres a cure"
theres no cure ive seen a mate with it its terrible

"Id say theres ways and means of dealing with it to minimise the possibility, but not so sure theres a curetheres no cure ive seen a mate with it its terrible"

It's not terrible all the time.

Honest.

"Id say theres ways and means of dealing with it to minimise the possibility, but not so sure theres a curetheres no cure ive seen a mate with it its terrible"

Your opening post is a little confusing then.

Depression is terrible but it is possible to survive it and even manage it with the right tools and help.

I hope your friend is getting help.

"Good friends.

It's not easy but one can live a happier life by often understanding it's an illness and not your fault.

That it can be managed with the right tools."

ive had it i had a breakdownthe things i could tell you would blow your mind its absolutely horrible and the things ive done im so ashamed x

"Good friends.

That it can be managed with the right tools.ive had it i had a breakdownthe things i could tell you would blow your mind its absolutely horrible and the things ive done im so ashamed x"

I doubt you could blow anything as far as depression is concerned.

I think you might benefit from speaking to your doctor about counselling though.

"Good friends.

That it can be managed with the right tools.ive had it i had a breakdownthe things i could tell you would blow your mind its absolutely horrible and the things ive done im so ashamed x"

And you are here to tell the tale so you know it is possible to live with it. Don't be ashamed but learn from what you have done in the past.

"Medication and lots of counselling is the key I am bi polar highs and big lows postnatal depression went undiagnosed until I got sectioned worst days of my life but there is good resources out there. MIND, the Samaritans it is good to talk also to keep a mood diary. Like I said on a previous thread men fear it and very high statistics with men with mental health issues and suicide men are more likely to commit suicide than women so very sad if you are feeling low then please seek help x"
i had a breakdown so called profesionals treated me really badly thought i was attention seeking but i tried to kill myself miles away in middle of nowhere so i wasnt to be found only police helicopter found me yet i was attention seeking

I've had depression on and off since I was 18. There is no cure. But I've managed to spot the signs and seek help to manage the symptoms before I freefall. I'm in a good place now. Cognitive therapy helped me a lot.

"I've had depression on and off since I was 18. There is no cure. But I've managed to spot the signs and seek help to manage the symptoms before I freefall. I'm in a good place now. Cognitive therapy helped me a lot. "

therapy is the only way as far as I'm concerned.

that and sometimes meds are needed to manage the symptoms but if we don't talk, it builds.

Probably the reason most people are on here to find something to bring them away from life that they are struggling with. I get it , right now I'm finding things hard , a good friend is worth a thousand lovers . good luck

It can be controlled and you can live with it but it does take help and care and patience but also medical intervention.

Being a medical lady there is help out there

X x

"I've had depression on and off since I was 18. There is no cure. But I've managed to spot the signs and seek help to manage the symptoms before I freefall. I'm in a good place now. Cognitive therapy helped me a lot. "
some people cant talk to professionals though thats the problem x

By *edRapscallionMan  over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 10/09/16 22:24:38]

London

I have borderline personality disorder. I don't like saying it to randomers, but I am d*unk, so fuck it. You're not alone with mental health issues

"I've had depression on and off since I was 18. There is no cure. But I've managed to spot the signs and seek help to manage the symptoms before I freefall. I'm in a good place now. Cognitive therapy helped me a lot. some people cant talk to professionals though thats the problem x"

So talk to friends, family, random stranger......but talk to someone. I found the body of my brother who refused to talk to anyone. Don't let yourself be another statistic.

The lows are horrendous but the highs are even scary for a time I just shut myself away I would never hurt anyone else it is always internalized horrid disease x

"Good friends.

That it can be managed with the right tools.ive had it i had a breakdownthe things i could tell you would blow your mind its absolutely horrible and the things ive done im so ashamed x

And you are here to tell the tale so you know it is possible to live with it. Don't be ashamed but learn from what you have done in the past.

"

i live with it everyday though its horrible plus i knowca good friend with it too x

"I have borderline personality disorder. I don't like saying it to randomers, but I am d*unk, so fuck it. You're not alone with mental health issues "

big slutty kisses

By *candiumWoman  over a year ago

oban

In my case, a load of good drugs.

"I have borderline personality disorder. I don't like saying it to randomers, but I am d*unk, so fuck it. You're not alone with mental health issues

big slutty kisses

"

ah thankyou im over worse byt still there xx

"Medication and lots of counselling is the key I am bi polar highs and big lows postnatal depression went undiagnosed until I got sectioned worst days of my life but there is good resources out there. MIND, the Samaritans it is good to talk also to keep a mood diary. Like I said on a previous thread men fear it and very high statistics with men with mental health issues and suicide men are more likely to commit suicide than women so very sad if you are feeling low then please seek help xi had a breakdown so called profesionals treated me really badly thought i was attention seeking but i tried to kill myself miles away in middle of nowhere so i wasnt to be found only police helicopter found me yet i was attention seeking"

Go back and ask to be seen by someone else. A suicide attempt is attention seeking - you are crying out as loudly as you can for someone to take the pain away.

It can be hard work getting help, I know, but it's easier if you can find a friend or family member you trust to help you get it. I am lucky that my GP is always in my corner.

"I've had depression on and off since I was 18. There is no cure. But I've managed to spot the signs and seek help to manage the symptoms before I freefall. I'm in a good place now. Cognitive therapy helped me a lot. some people cant talk to professionals though thats the problem x"

In order to overcome certain obstacles, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Reach out for help, even though the idea is terrifying. I didn't want to discuss things with anyone, let alone 'strangers'. But my whole world was imploding. I had to swallow my anxiety, embarrassment and fear, and help myself. Its a tough battle, but sometimes you have to put yourself in really uncomfortable situations for the greater good. I refused to be a victim to this. Bravest thing I ever did.

"I have borderline personality disorder. I don't like saying it to randomers, but I am d*unk, so fuck it. You're not alone with mental health issues

big slutty kisses

"

You're never alone so long as im on here pal

big slutty kisses

ah thankyou im over worse byt still there xx"

I'm sorry those were for Red.

I'm sending you big feck off hugs even though I hate virtual hugs.

"I have borderline personality disorder. I don't like saying it to randomers, but I am d*unk, so fuck it. You're not alone with mental health issues "

Careful with the lows of alcohol and have a hug from me.

"I've had depression on and off since I was 18. There is no cure. But I've managed to spot the signs and seek help to manage the symptoms before I freefall. I'm in a good place now. Cognitive therapy helped me a lot. some people cant talk to professionals though thats the problem x

In order to overcome certain obstacles, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Reach out for help, even though the idea is terrifying. I didn't want to discuss things with anyone, let alone 'strangers'. But my whole world was imploding. I had to swallow my anxiety, embarrassment and fear, and help myself. Its a tough battle, but sometimes you have to put yourself in really uncomfortable situations for the greater good. I refused to be a victim to this. Bravest thing I ever did. "

Asking for help is a strength not a weakness.

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

put the boot onthe other fooot try living with your partner who as it its hell

I'd say the only cure is to all think the same, but then would we all end up happy or would it be sad ? Probably sad, because there's simply not enough love in the world

London

"put the boot onthe other fooot try living with your partner who as it its hell"

This is unfortunately true.

"Id say theres ways and means of dealing with it to minimise the possibility, but not so sure theres a curetheres no cure ive seen a mate with it its terrible

Your opening post is a little confusing then.

Depression is terrible but it is possible to survive it and even manage it with the right tools and help.

I hope your friend is getting help.

"

its me not a friend i lied x

London

big slutty kisses

You're never alone so long as im on here pal "

Thank you

London

big slutty kisses

"

Not enough. My doctor says I require more.

"put the boot onthe other fooot try living with your partner who as it its hell"

That's the bit that always makes me feel guilty and ashamed as I know how hard it is for those who love me.

You have my every sympathy and I hope there is someone there to help you too.

London

Careful with the lows of alcohol and have a hug from me.

"

I'm all too aware of them, fear not Have a hug back! Thank you.

"I'd say the only cure is to all think the same, but then would we all end up happy or would it be sad ? Probably sad, because there's simply not enough love in the world "

There's lots and lots of love in the world if we just let it out.

big slutty kisses

Not enough. My doctor says I require more."

you're your doctor aren't you?

bad man

London

big slutty kisses

bad man

"

No. That would mean I have multiple personality disorder, and I don't have that.

Do I, Dr. Red?

No, Mr. Red, no you don't.

See?

"I'd say the only cure is to all think the same, but then would we all end up happy or would it be sad ? Probably sad, because there's simply not enough love in the world "
too right mate no love at all

big slutty kisses

bad man

No. That would mean I have multiple personality disorder, and I don't have that.

Do I, Dr. Red?

See?"

That's funny only because I can see you doing the actions.

London

[Removed by poster at 10/09/16 22:47:41]

London

big slutty kisses

bad man

Do I, Dr. Red?

See?

That's funny only because I can see you doing the actions."

So long as you don't see my lips moving, that's fine.

"I'd say the only cure is to all think the same, but then would we all end up happy or would it be sad ? Probably sad, because there's simply not enough love in the world

"

then show me love i only get abuse

big slutty kisses

bad man

Do I, Dr. Red?

See?"

Hahaha

By *piritsonfabCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

And often the professionals don't listen

"Ive suffered with it in the past is there such thing as a cure"

I've suffered in the past, I don't think it's ever left me, I don't feel there's a cure.

Personally I've learned to recognise when one of "those times" is ahead and have the tools to help me manage those moments.

There's good help out there OP if you feel you need it.

Never be afraid to ask for it or accept it.

Good luck......

"I'd say the only cure is to all think the same, but then would we all end up happy or would it be sad ? Probably sad, because there's simply not enough love in the world

then show me love i only get abuse"

What abuse have you had on this thread?

I don't know you so can only show you the care I have for anyone in pain. I can understand you may not be in a place to feel that but perhaps Fab isn't the place you need to be right now. It's hard enough for single men without being in the throes of depression.

If i could give you a big hug and have a pint with you i would

By *entle giraffeMan  over a year ago

Minehead

"I've had depression on and off since I was 18. There is no cure. But I've managed to spot the signs and seek help to manage the symptoms before I freefall. I'm in a good place now. Cognitive therapy helped me a lot. some people cant talk to professionals though thats the problem x

In order to overcome certain obstacles, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Reach out for help, even though the idea is terrifying. I didn't want to discuss things with anyone, let alone 'strangers'. But my whole world was imploding. I had to swallow my anxiety, embarrassment and fear, and help myself. Its a tough battle, but sometimes you have to put yourself in really uncomfortable situations for the greater good. I refused to be a victim to this. Bravest thing I ever did. "

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

I have had counselling twice now after periods of black dog moments..They helped sort things out slightly..add the help of good friends, routine, healthy eating and exercise to medication and talking for hours to random people online who I never met face to face...you begin to come out the other side.

I volunteered at a few places to keep myself occupied. ..I enjoyed doing the roles so much I changed carer completely....it does get better. .you do get odd days but you can learn the signs of their arrival and how to cope with them. Stay strong sir!

By *km45Man  over a year ago

UTTOXETER

It's not easy with depression. Had it on and off for the last five years. Found professional help really useful but upto a point. I've learnt how to deal and handle situations. I'm proud of myself getting through it.

"It's not easy with depression. Had it on and off for the last five years. Found professional help really useful but upto a point. I've learnt how to deal and handle situations. I'm proud of myself getting through it. "
well done mate

In order to overcome certain obstacles, you have to step out of your comfort zone. Reach out for help, even though the idea is terrifying. I didn't want to discuss things with anyone, let alone 'strangers'. But my whole world was imploding. I had to swallow my anxiety, embarrassment and fear, and help myself. Its a tough battle, but sometimes you have to put yourself in really uncomfortable situations for the greater good. I refused to be a victim to this. Bravest thing I ever did.

"

then that makes you a propper man well done

My wife suffered while I was depressed.

i learnt to recognise the signs and the triggers - and deal with it the best i can

London

"i learnt to recognise the signs and the triggers - and deal with it the best i can"

At the end of the day it's the best anyone can do, and the best action to take.

Let's not anger towards others to the depression.

Concentrate on the helpful comments and learn to let the rest wash past.

I feel I should be leading a guided a meditation tonight.

"My wife suffered while I was depressed."

I hope you're feeling better now so that she is feeling better too.

" "
your lovely x

I suffer with Depression.. I used to take medication for it but I hated feeling they way I did when on it.. I never wanted to get up and see my kids .never ate ..so I stopped taking them.

I found a way of dealing with my depression ..I stated seeing a counciler twice a week and I started playing Union Rugby. Both have helped me so much in the last year .

I dont think there will ever be a cure as such., medication helps some, sport helps, going to zumba/gym/swimming ,talking to a friend/professional helps others.. but having depression is not the end of the world there is always something out there that will help someone

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

I've suffered from depression in some form or another since I was about 17 years old (maybe even before that). It's blighted my whole existence really. It was only about three or four years ago that I even realised I had an actual problem that can be dealt with and I wasn't just going crazy.

Since then I've been working on getting better and finding my true self, which had become buried under a mountain of shit. I think that's the worst thing about depression, you just become someone else. I spent whole decades being someone else. Life just passes you by. I think there are ways to get through it though, you just have to put in the effort. Talking to people about it helps. CBT and the like can also help. Simply realising I even had a problem was a big step for me.

It's an absolute miracle I'm still here. I'm thankful for that. Life's a wonderful thing. We all owe it to ourselves to try and make the most of each and every day. All I can say to anyone who's suffering is seek out help. Find something that works for you. The help is out there. Don't suffer in silence like I did.

Rob here, I have it. There is no cure, it's a companion for the rest of your life, you just learn to live with it

I've had depression since I was 13 and hypomanic episodes for the last 5 years. The best thing I ever did was to reach out for help last year, which has lead to finding the right medication, CBT, and a brilliant psychiatrist. I've improved enormously and have been discharged back to the care of my gp.

I'm really sorry the health care professionals haven't been supportive of you. It took a long time for me to ask for help due to bad experiences with HCP's as a teenager. You can always ask to see another Dr, and keep asking until you find the right one. When I was younger I didn't know that I could do that.

I've accepted that depression will always be a part of my life as I have Aspergers, and the stress of daily life takes a massive toll. According to a Swedish study my life expectancy is 58, heart disease or suicide being the most likely cause of death. I refuse to be a statistic and now have the coping mechanisms and understanding of the warning signs to get through the periods of anguish.

The best of luck to you xx

Nell

"I've suffered from depression in some form or another since I was about 17 years old (maybe even before that). It's blighted my whole existence really. It was only about three or four years ago that I even realised I had an actual problem that can be dealt with and I wasn't just going crazy.

Since then I've been working on getting better and finding my true self, which had become buried under a mountain of shit. I think that's the worst thing about depression, you just become someone else. I spent whole decades being someone else. Life just passes you by. I think there are ways to get through it though, you just have to put in the effort. Talking to people about it helps. CBT and the like can also help. Simply realising I even had a problem was a big step for me.

It's an absolute miracle I'm still here. I'm thankful for that. Life's a wonderful thing. We all owe it to ourselves to try and make the most of each and every day. All I can say to anyone who's suffering is seek out help. Find something that works for you. The help is out there. Don't suffer in silence like I did."

May you keep feeling better and better as each day goes by.

Depression and alcohol dont go together well.

Stop the drinking op

I just have to say. I'm really loving this thread. Everybody is so respectful and caring. It's also reassuring that others suffer from depression too. Isolation is the killer with depression. How lovely that people are so bravely sharing their personal struggles

I cant believe ive posted tgis topic thought i would get 10 replies omg its so common good luck to you all its a horrible thing its ruined my life never wanted to be born if i knew i would be like this

"I just have to say. I'm really loving this thread. Everybody is so respectful and caring. It's also reassuring that others suffer from depression too. Isolation is the killer with depression. How lovely that people are so bravely sharing their personal struggles "
here here i thought everybody was horrible on this site how wrong i am

"I just have to say. I'm really loving this thread. Everybody is so respectful and caring. It's also reassuring that others suffer from depression too. Isolation is the killer with depression. How lovely that people are so bravely sharing their personal struggles here here i thought everybody was horrible on this site how wrong i am"

Not everybody I hope?

"Depression and alcohol dont go together well.

Stop the drinking op "

yeagh i know mate not as easy as words though

I've had some bad spells. It never really goes away, just backs off, but can strike for no reason. I've learnt to recognise it for what it is, manage it when I can, and ask for help when I can't. That was the hardest part. Asking for help, but like was a damn sight easier for doing it.x

By *ucyfur77Woman  over a year ago

Pleasuretown

Its a work in progress. Feel I'm doing ok at the moment but find the winter months hard.

Main thing is having self-awareness and getting the support you need.

Much love x

Stop the drinking op yeagh i know mate not as easy as words though"

Take 1 day at a time fella

My depression is no longer a black shadow hanging over my head. It's a kite I drag around with me; some days it drops and I feel low,others it flies high in a sunshiny sky and I run with it.

"I just have to say. I'm really loving this thread. Everybody is so respectful and caring. It's also reassuring that others suffer from depression too. Isolation is the killer with depression. How lovely that people are so bravely sharing their personal struggles "

I joined the forum just over four years ago after a suicidal episode. The madness of the forum helped me to feel quite sane, by comparison, and I got back to being my well-self.

It won't work for everyone, because it can be hard on here, but there is often a lot of compassion here in amongst the moans and silliness.

"Its a work in progress. Feel I'm doing ok at the moment but find the winter months hard.

Main thing is having self-awareness and getting the support you need.

Much love x"

Try and get natural daylight between 11am and 2pm - it really helps.

"My depression is no longer a black shadow hanging over my head. It's a kite I drag around with me; some days it drops and I feel low,others it flies high in a sunshiny sky and I run with it. "

That's a great analogy

The gym helps me. It releases a sense of well being no tablets etc can offer

"My depression is no longer a black shadow hanging over my head. It's a kite I drag around with me; some days it drops and I feel low,others it flies high in a sunshiny sky and I run with it.

That's a great analogy "

Brilliant!

"My depression is no longer a black shadow hanging over my head. It's a kite I drag around with me; some days it drops and I feel low,others it flies high in a sunshiny sky and I run with it.

That's a great analogy

Brilliant!"

And another from me too.

"The gym helps me. It releases a sense of well being no tablets etc can offer"

Finding what works for you is half the battle.

Stop the drinking op yeagh i know mate not as easy as words though

Take 1 day at a time fella"

i am mate i have a good day when my day is actually bad its when the day is really bad when i cant cope luckily those days sre getting less frequent

"I just have to say. I'm really loving this thread. Everybody is so respectful and caring. It's also reassuring that others suffer from depression too. Isolation is the killer with depression. How lovely that people are so bravely sharing their personal struggles

I joined the forum just over four years ago after a suicidal episode. The madness of the forum helped me to feel quite sane, by comparison, and I got back to being my well-self.

It won't work for everyone, because it can be hard on here, but there is often a lot of compassion here in amongst the moans and silliness.

"

the forum can make you worse

That's a great analogy

Brilliant!

And another from me too."

That should be a meme.... Very inspirational

"I just have to say. I'm really loving this thread. Everybody is so respectful and caring. It's also reassuring that others suffer from depression too. Isolation is the killer with depression. How lovely that people are so bravely sharing their personal struggles

the forum can make you worse "

only if you're a single male

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've had it.

We don't know that much about our brains or depression. The question is better thought of as what can each individual do to improve their mental wellbeing and away from depression Imo.

Seek professional help and let your GP take responsibility for your care.

Lots of the things covered by others here are great. Medication, therapy, exercise and diet amongst them.

Losing depression and gaining happiness are likely different things though Imo.

Go easy on yourself, reduce pressures and just take small steps. Where you get to can be a radically different point.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

In my family depression was/is seen as a state of personal weakness. Something to be overcome by pulling one's self together.

So the more depressed I became the more I hid it. Until I felt that either my head would actually physically explode or it would be better to top myself

I started with counselling and that helped. Just knowing it was ok for me to feel like that and even admit to it helped.

It had begun with my relationship that turned into 22 years of abuse. I got more depressed but tried to be 'normal' and cheerful to try and prevent him getting into evil tempered moods.

Eventually I managed to subtly convince him to see the GP about his moods. He was diagnosed with depression and given pills etc.

I thought things might be on the up. But they never changed. Thankfully I am an optimist and I'm sure that's part of what got me through it.

When I eventually left him I kind of fell apart. Even though it was the right thing to do it still had a big impact. Because the police had been involved (someone else called them not me) I was assigned a victim support worker. As we talked she said "you don't realise what you've been through do you".

Anyway the GP was great, Counselling turned to therapy, seeing a psychologist and also CBT. I reckon it took me 3 years to get back to 'normal' but things would still get to me.

It's now over 5 years and I feel as good as I ever have and that's amazing for me. I can still get knocked back quite badly but I have come to realise my 'recovery' time is now much shorter.

So with the right help and treatment things can get better. As others have said seeking help is the first step and it's a brave and strong step to take.

Anyone who thinks it's all in your head and you can fix yourself has never suffered with it and will not understand.

"My depression is no longer a black shadow hanging over my head. It's a kite I drag around with me; some days it drops and I feel low,others it flies high in a sunshiny sky and I run with it. "

x

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

Got to break the cycle of believing it's all your fault or that you cannot control it.

The awful feeling inside you is just a build up of adrenaline, the fight or flight effect...

Eventually you run out of adrenaline and you feel okay but the cycle starts again once the adrenaline becomes available again.

Crying is also a good release, tears excrete another hormone which is responsible for the bad feeling.

Ultimately talk with friends and family, you are not alone.. 1 in 3 people suffer with depression, you will be surprised who will admit to it when asked.

If you ever get to the point where you feel like self harming, ring 999, there are people trained to help available 24/7.

Well done for asking the question, it must've been hard, it will only get easier from now.

I suffered from post natal depression to the point that I really thought I was losing it. I can't say what thoughts I was having at the time as its way too personal but they weren't good ones that's for sure.

With my situation counselling really helped, I had a wonderful woman who I connected with, she became a life saver for me

Grantham

The Samaritans are also very helpful when you feel so low you don't know what to do. You don't have to be feeling suicidal for them to help

"In my family depression was/is seen as a state of personal weakness. Something to be overcome by pulling one's self together.

So the more depressed I became the more I hid it. Until I felt that either my head would actually physically explode or it would be better to top myself

I started with counselling and that helped. Just knowing it was ok for me to feel like that and even admit to it helped.

It had begun with my relationship that turned into 22 years of abuse. I got more depressed but tried to be 'normal' and cheerful to try and prevent him getting into evil tempered moods.

Eventually I managed to subtly convince him to see the GP about his moods. He was diagnosed with depression and given pills etc.

I thought things might be on the up. But they never changed. Thankfully I am an optimist and I'm sure that's part of what got me through it.

When I eventually left him I kind of fell apart. Even though it was the right thing to do it still had a big impact. Because the police had been involved (someone else called them not me) I was assigned a victim support worker. As we talked she said "you don't realise what you've been through do you".

Anyway the GP was great, Counselling turned to therapy, seeing a psychologist and also CBT. I reckon it took me 3 years to get back to 'normal' but things would still get to me.

It's now over 5 years and I feel as good as I ever have and that's amazing for me. I can still get knocked back quite badly but I have come to realise my 'recovery' time is now much shorter.

So with the right help and treatment things can get better. As others have said seeking help is the first step and it's a brave and strong step to take.

Anyone who thinks it's all in your head and you can fix yourself has never suffered with it and will not understand."

I agree completely. Unless you have been through this, you can never understand. Some people have the misconception that it is self pity, and that a person should just pull themselves together.

Grantham

"I agree completely. Unless you have been through this, you can never understand. Some people have the misconception that it is self pity, and that a person should just pull themselves together. "

Or they say "what have you got to be depressed about?" as if there needs to be a very specific reason.

If there's one subject on the forums that (usually) draws people together it's depression.

Supportive bunch really.

"I agree completely. Unless you have been through this, you can never understand. Some people have the misconception that it is self pity, and that a person should just pull themselves together.

Or they say "what have you got to be depressed about?" as if there needs to be a very specific reason."

They'll never understand you sitting there crying. Feeling hopeless. Feeling embarrassed and weak, chiding yourself about that very fact. Actually asking yourself why you're crying. Then crying harder because you just don't know.

"I agree completely. Unless you have been through this, you can never understand. Some people have the misconception that it is self pity, and that a person should just pull themselves together.

Or they say "what have you got to be depressed about?" as if there needs to be a very specific reason.

They'll never understand you sitting there crying. Feeling hopeless. Feeling embarrassed and weak, chiding yourself about that very fact. Actually asking yourself why you're crying. Then crying harder because you just don't know. "

During one really bleak episode I was inconsolable when I dropped my corn on the cob. It was out of all (normal) proportion and those around me just couldn't understand why I was wailing about it when there was another one in the pot anyway.

Grantham

"During one really bleak episode I was inconsolable when I dropped my corn on the cob. It was out of all (normal) proportion and those around me just couldn't understand why I was wailing about it when there was another one in the pot anyway.

"

That makes perfect sense to me

I've suffered as diagnosed clinical depression since I was 22 but my therapist beleives I've been depressed through out most of my childhood as well through our lovely weekly chats (Mum and Dad issues)I also have anxiety/panic attacks.

Anyways these days I don't touch medication unless i spiral so low and need to level out, I find routine and fitness helps me personally the most along side my privately paid counselling.

Anyone else find it ridiculous that if you break your leg you get that fixed within 48hrs but you have something mentally wrong that could lead to death you have to go on an extremely long list

"During one really bleak episode I was inconsolable when I dropped my corn on the cob. It was out of all (normal) proportion and those around me just couldn't understand why I was wailing about it when there was another one in the pot anyway.

That makes perfect sense to me "

And me

"I've suffered as diagnosed clinical depression since I was 22 but my therapist beleives I've been depressed through out most of my childhood as well through our lovely weekly chats (Mum and Dad issues)I also have anxiety/panic attacks.

Anyways these days I don't touch medication unless i spiral so low and need to level out, I find routine and fitness helps me personally the most along side my privately paid counselling.

Anyone else find it ridiculous that if you break your leg you get that fixed within 48hrs but you have something mentally wrong that could lead to death you have to go on an extremely long list

"

Omg I spelt believe wrong

Unfortunately i too have a lot of experience of mental health problems. With depression there seems to be two types - reactive, where it's caused by something like a death or relationship breakdown, and the other type, that I have. For this, there is no cure. You just learn to live with it, and you learn what helps you. Whether that's medication, counselling, exercise... It varies from person to person. The reactive type can be "cured", because the pain of the cause eventually fades. But for me, there's no specific cause, it's just the way i'm wired. Right now I'm doing well, but it doesn't take much to tip the balance.

Sending hugs from me, hope you find what helps you asap.

Me too.

The people on this thread are my kind of people

"I've suffered as diagnosed clinical depression since I was 22 but my therapist beleives I've been depressed through out most of my childhood as well through our lovely weekly chats (Mum and Dad issues)I also have anxiety/panic attacks.

Omg I spelt believe wrong"

Don't worry sweetie. Actually had to look to see it lol.

"

There are fewer doctors willing to specialise in mental health at the moment. Every mental health trust I have spoken to reports staff shortages.

" but it doesn't take much to tip the balance.

"

this part exactly - think all is well and one thing happens and i think eh up - and i know im back in that place - mostly i recognise it - tell someone who knows me well if i cant handle it - but still tend to try and cope alone most of the time - funny creatures arent we x

Grantham

"Anyone else find it ridiculous that if you break your leg you get that fixed within 48hrs but you have something mentally wrong that could lead to death you have to go on an extremely long list

"

I think at lease part of the reason for that is more people suffer with mental health than broken bones

I'm glad this thread has turned out the way it has. People with common ground being able to share on an open forum.

These things can go bad quickly.

A sarcastic comment to the already defensive op... swearing back ..then it turns into a witch hunt.

I'm glad the op's had some empathy and good to see a bit of compassion for a change.

And me

"

The brain is far more complex to treat than a broken bone. That's why there are so many different medications to suit different brain chemistries. Unfortunately you can't just pop some plaster on and wait for it to fuse and fix itself.... How lovely if it was to be that simple though

The brain is far more complex to treat than a broken bone. That's why there are so many different medications to suit different brain chemistries. Unfortunately you can't just pop some plaster on and wait for it to fuse and fix itself.... How lovely if it was to be that simple though "

It would be lovely to have something so visible that brings sympathy and understanding (and that people can sign and draw on).

The brain is far more complex to treat than a broken bone. That's why there are so many different medications to suit different brain chemistries. Unfortunately you can't just pop some plaster on and wait for it to fuse and fix itself.... How lovely if it was to be that simple though "

I know its not that simple but so many people are placed on lists but don't receive any form of support in the up to 2 years time it can take. That's why I pay privately but most arent in a position to.

Big hugs to anyone who's feeling low

I first did that when I was 15

Sometimes life just seems really shit, my counsellor said it's like a house of cards, ones goes and you are OK, but if loads go at once you have had it! Alcohol can make things massively worse it seems,

The brain is far more complex to treat than a broken bone. That's why there are so many different medications to suit different brain chemistries. Unfortunately you can't just pop some plaster on and wait for it to fuse and fix itself.... How lovely if it was to be that simple though

I know its not that simple but so many people are placed on lists but don't receive any form of support in the up to 2 years time it can take. That's why I pay privately but most arent in a position to.

"

I do agree that it's shameful. What if someone was to commit suicide whilst waiting? I bet there would be no grounds for a wrongful death suit against the hospital. Despite the fact of that person not being of sound mind when committing, therefore not culpable. The system is so flawed. X

"Sometimes life just seems really shit, my counsellor said it's like a house of cards, ones goes and you are OK, but if loads go at once you have had it! Alcohol can make things massively worse it seems, "

For those concerned about their drinking there is an online test you can do that leads to an app you can download to your phone. It's called DontBottleItUp, but I can't post the link on here.

"Ive suffered with it in the past is there such thing as a cure"
I don't think there's a cure. It's always there. I've had it 22 years now. Been on medication all that time. I have good days and bad days but when I have the bad days I just know it will get better again x

I do agree that it's shameful. What if someone was to commit suicide whilst waiting? I bet there would be no grounds for a wrongful death suit against the hospital. Despite the fact of that person not being of sound mind when committing, therefore not culpable. The system is so flawed. X "

I work within the system, unfortunately there are good and bad nurses and doctors!

Medication is never a solo cure it can sometimes help in conjunction with talking therapies and lifestyle changes.

We all have ups and downs in our lives and can all be affected at times.

I don't know what you have all been through but remember the strength that you find to get through each day. Life can be tough and hard, it is often unfair but there is always someone to talk to someone that cares for you.

It's easy to say find the things that you love to do and do more of them, appreciate the little things in life and most importantly never compare yourself to others as you will often over estimate there live and underestimate your own life ! We are all important and often more important to others than we realise

Good health and best wishes to you all

I've come to realise that life is pointless. There really isn't any point to it but for some reason we are here. I've no idea why and I doubt I ever will but we have to make the most of it.

So don't sweat the small stuff because it's pointless. It really doesn't matter.

Just hug those closest to you, tell them you love them. Everything else is pointless and doesn't matter.

"Anyone else find it ridiculous that if you break your leg you get that fixed within 48hrs but you have something mentally wrong that could lead to death you have to go on an extremely long list

I think at lease part of the reason for that is more people suffer with mental health than broken bones "

broken bones are easy to diagnose -

I know this is very simplistic but this always rings true to me anyway

In life, there are only two things to worry about—

Either you are well or you are sick.

If you are well, there is nothing to worry about,

But if you are sick, there are only two things to worry about—

Either you will get well or you will die.

If you get well, there is nothing to worry about,

But if you die, there are only two things to worry about—

Either you will go to heaven or hell.

If you go to heaven, there is nothing to worry about.

And if you go to hell, you’ll be so busy shaking hands with all your friends

You won’t have time to worry!

I think at lease part of the reason for that is more people suffer with mental health than broken bones

broken bones are easy to diagnose - "

Yes they are my point is we don't even attempt to diagnose peoples issues until they go through a long waiting list. During that time they receive very little support maybe a 10mins drs appointment every 2 weeks or a month to get given some medication that may not even be truly subtable for that persons problem.

Think i might be but not looked for help just yet! Im a bloke! A mans man who does not reach out for help easily, but inside im crying out! Im sad, really sad, with not much to be sad about! When i read quotes about depression they describe me in a frightening real way! I hide it in real life and laugh and joke with the best of them but always feel a bit dead inside! Im a fighter, so trying not to let it beat me! I like positivity, i like inspiration from people who really do have a reason to complain in life! BUT DONT, they fight, overcome and triumph! Paralympics has been AWESOME for giving me the strength to fight! Just writing this gives me a small positive boost! As i could not have have done this on my, own thread! Thanks thready!

Now fly me to the moon!

"I know this is very simplistic but this always rings true to me anyway

You won’t have time to worry!"

So you're basically saying "cheer up! It might never happen".

So you're basically saying "cheer up! It might never happen". "

Nope, not at all it just means that worrying doesn't change anything at all!! I know it's never as simple as that but sometimes it's just about learning to be able to let it go easier said than done I appreciate that

Working in the mental health system, I would have thought you would have grasped the complexities of the depressed mind... If not completely understood it. This disappoints me to be honest

I suffer with PTSD from my time in the army and have never found a way to really cope well. It's made worse for me due to type 1 diabetes and other problems that make masses of exercise something I can't do anymore. You need to try and find yourself a positive outlet and make sure you and those close to you know what your triggers are and how to help.

Is there a cure? Not yet, but I hold out hope for the future.

We are all in this life together and need to help the more unfortunate than us so they can repair and mend as best as possible.

I'm always here for a chat to if anyone ever needs to

M

X

Had mine 6 years and counting x

Had mine as long as I can remember indont believe there's a cure, it sucks especially when your out but you've got to try your best to try and block it out x

By *ed LipstickWoman  over a year ago

Fucksville

Had PND after my kids were born. Had group and single counselling. Took me ages to appreciate that it's a chemical imbalance and not my fault. I'm slowly coming off Citalopram now. It's utterly shite but thankfully a lot of us can empathise

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

My main thing is OCD but depression, general anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia etc all part of it too.

30+ years and counting but wasn't diagnosed till my 30's.

I've had great mh workers and awful ones (as in any area of healthcare). Mh is the 'Cinderella' of healthcare precisely because until fairly recently (and still by some ignorants) it's seen as weakness, karma etc. also as has been said because very difficult to diagnose and treat.

Meds help but don't cure. One dr said to me meds are like a plaster cast. They don't fix the 'break' but protect the area while it heals itself/is treated in other ways. Counselling can help if you find the right person and type for you, for me meditation, mindfulness, grounding, yoga, diet, gentle exercise and vitamins have helped too.

Currently very ill and climbing the mountain to (relative) wellness again.

Far more common than the public (or even medics) realise I think, in part as so many go undiagnosed.

To anyone suffering PLEASE seek help you'll be so glad you did. Even bad drs are generally sympathetic and will pass you to someone better able to help these days. You can request a male/female contact, say you'd prefer to try a different counsellor etc as it's such an individual thing.

Also meds it can take time and effort to find the right type and dose for you.

Hugs and healing thoughts for all suffering and those who care for them.

By *iSTARessWoman  over a year ago

London

Yep, since age 7. Best thing I can recommend is Cognative Analytic Therapy (CAT).

Tears shreads off all other forms of therapy.

By *isaB45Woman  over a year ago

Fabville

Maybe you haven't found the right person...

By *randMrs Spanish BrunetteCouple  over a year ago

home sweet home

Most people will suffer from depression in different degrees at some point in their life.

People can suffer from acute depression as a result of an incident in their life such as grief after losing a love one, or chronic depression with none know event in their life's to explain why.

In both cases is the result of and imbalance on the brain chemistry.

Why this long explanation? Because people still judging those whom suffer from depression. If you twisted and ankle you would take painkillers for a while. If you had chronic back pain you would take painkillers for a very long time.

People are still struggling to see depression as a chemical in balance.

Also there is counselling it's really important in the way to have a better quality of life and give people tools to cope with it .

MrsSB

By *andsonjohnMan  over a year ago

in the eye of the storm

Working in the mental health system, I would have thought you would have grasped the complexities of the depressed mind... If not completely understood it. This disappoints me to be honest "

I agree

I don't and never have suffered from depression .but of coarse I've had times in my life where I have felt complete apathy no will to do anything .

I don't know how someone feels who suffers from depression but I have enough empathy from my own life experiences to understand it must be a very very hard illness to over come for those who suffer .

if only the human condition was as easy to manage as you seen to think .god you would be rich by now selling your one page book on how to have a depression free life .

I'm sure you meant well op but basically all you saying is look on the positive .which is very easy to say when your not the one depressed depression is just not that easy to cure nor do such thoughts and words help those who suffer.

after all you can bet a depression suffer has heard similar stuff all there life from people who don't suffer from depression .

I have for most of my adult life i tend to hide it behind my humour and ive just learned to accept that i just have to take my meds because im just not me without them

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

During one really bleak episode I was inconsolable when I dropped my corn on the cob. It was out of all (normal) proportion and those around me just couldn't understand why I was wailing about it when there was another one in the pot anyway.

I apparently looked like I had a gun to my head whenever the phone rang or post came through the door. ..the time it both happened at same time is when I burst out crying. ..my wife (ex now) held me,called doctors and demanded an appointment while I rocked back and forth. ..my saddest and best day as I had finally realised I had a problem and there were people who were going to listen...to the guy who said he was a man's man and this thread had helped him..there is too many people who hide away their pain, go talk to someone. .being afraid and ashamed is only letting it win...have a beautiful day everyone and stay strong

I apparently looked like I had a gun to my head whenever the phone rang or post came through the door. ..the time it both happened at same time is when I burst out crying. ..my wife (ex now) held me,called doctors and demanded an appointment while I rocked back and forth. ..my saddest and best day as I had finally realised I had a problem and there were people who were going to listen...to the guy who said he was a man's man and this thread had helped him..there is too many people who hide away their pain, go talk to someone. .being afraid and ashamed is only letting it win...have a beautiful day everyone and stay strong "

Thats exactly how i felt ashamed and i just though that people would say what has she got to be depressed about etc

anyway take care and have a nice day

im so pleased your ok now x

the forum can make you worse

only if you're a single male"

yes your right haha

"In my family depression was/is seen as a state of personal weakness. Something to be overcome by pulling one's self together.

Anyone who thinks it's all in your head and you can fix yourself has never suffered with it and will not understand."

wow you have had it tough im so sorry but its great that you battled through this you are stronger than you think x

If there's one subject on the forums that (usually) draws people together it's depression.

Supportive bunch really. "

yes i agree there is actually some nice folk out there my oppinion is changing

They'll never understand you sitting there crying. Feeling hopeless. Feeling embarrassed and weak, chiding yourself about that very fact. Actually asking yourself why you're crying. Then crying harder because you just don't know.

"

it dont take alot for you to explode like that is just the pressure that builds inside x

By *orquaypeterMan  over a year ago

torquay

Yes I suffer depression and as we speak I'm suffering bad depression have been feeling quite suicidal ??

I'm weaning myself off of a med that gives me unbelievable nightmares and leaves me in a mongy, zombied state.

It helped me initially but now I am unable to remember words or gauge reaction to situations correctly.

I'd really love natural sleep again.

My point being that meds can help, initially but only if you have therapy on the horizon too, which I don't.

I've been waiting 2 years now.

Meds can and do often help but talking is very important!

Being open about mental illness is on the increase I'm delighted to see.

It's nothing at all to be ashamed of and of course we're more than a label.

We're people too!

"Yes I suffer depression and as we speak I'm suffering bad depression have been feeling quite suicidal ??"

Please talk to someone

"Yes I suffer depression and as we speak I'm suffering bad depression have been feeling quite suicidal ??"

Please talk to your doctor or go to a friend you trust and tell them how you are feeling. I've been where you are.

There's the Samaritans too.

I'm not sure I'm allowed to post number here but Google search will tell you.

You're not alone.

"Sometimes life just seems really shit, my counsellor said it's like a house of cards, ones goes and you are OK, but if loads go at once you have had it! Alcohol can make things massively worse it seems, "
it is but when in having a really bad day with it i like to have a drink to try and forget and go out with friends i do forget untill i get back home again

"Had PND after my kids were born. Had group and single counselling. Took me ages to appreciate that it's a chemical imbalance and not my fault. I'm slowly coming off Citalopram now. It's utterly shite but thankfully a lot of us can empathise "
thats what i was on too never worked for me neither x

I have suffered and I am at present. Medication is helping.

please go and talk to someone trust me it will help you may think that you are alone but your not i feel for you as ive been there x x

oh no mate go and see help now go to hospital

I live with bipolar disorder. Depressive episodes are a bitch, currently battling one myself just now

"Had PND after my kids were born. Had group and single counselling. Took me ages to appreciate that it's a chemical imbalance and not my fault. I'm slowly coming off Citalopram now. It's utterly shite but thankfully a lot of us can empathise "
hi I've just been prescribed these did you take them in the morning or evening.

Working in the mental health system, I would have thought you would have grasped the complexities of the depressed mind... If not completely understood it. This disappoints me to be honest

I agree

I don't and never have suffered from depression .but of coarse I've had times in my life where I have felt complete apathy no will to do anything .

I don't know how someone feels who suffers from depression but I have enough empathy from my own life experiences to understand it must be a very very hard illness to over come for those who suffer .

if only the human condition was as easy to manage as you seen to think .god you would be rich by now selling your one page book on how to have a depression free life .

I'm sure you meant well op but basically all you saying is look on the positive .which is very easy to say when your not the one depressed depression is just not that easy to cure nor do such thoughts and words help those who suffer.

after all you can bet a depression suffer has heard similar stuff all there life from people who don't suffer from depression .

"

I have had my feet in both sides of the camp, so can understand it from both sides as well! Like I said before it rang true personally for me, learning to let go of the things I worried about made my life easier!

Depression and mental health are all a personal thing!

One medication may work for one person and not another the same goes for therapy types some will find CAT works other may feel better with CBT!!

For some people it's been art therapy for others just getting out walking or excerise!!

Again the words where offered for something that personally helps me!!

I would urge anyone to talk to someone, and if the first attempts for treatment don't work, don't give up!

The medication a lot of the time is like a like a walking aid, it won't make you walk fully but will allow you to get the other treatment you need

That's not how I read it.

I was once told there are two rules to mental wellbeing;

1) Don't sweat about the small stuff.

2) It's all small stuff.

Sometimes it's really challenging to see things as "small stuff", but in the grand scheme of things, most things are.

The key to managing your own mental health is to realise and accept that you have the power to interpret and control your feelings, you have a choice about how you interpret and react to the stuff that goes on around you.

As a poster above said about the corn on the cob; out of control feelings allow you to believe that incident is like the end of the world, in control emotions allow you to say "no problem, I have another one".

The big challenge is learning the coping skills that will give us the strength, power and resolve to see things that way.

I strongly recommend three books; Rhinoceros Success by Scott Alexander, SUMO by Paul McGhee and Begin it now by Susan Heywood.

All three will make you smile. And smiling is (in my mind) one of the first steps to getting to a better place.

It's a hard road back, you fall over now and again but eventuality you're on your feet more than you're flat on your face.

Mental health is nothing to be ashamed of.

It's not being weak.

Holding your hand up and saying "I have a problem", reaching out and "saying please help me" shows great strength, great character.

And it's that strength you need to start the journey back.

Tiny steps people, tiny steps.

"I'm weaning myself off of a med that gives me unbelievable nightmares and leaves me in a mongy, zombied state.

It helped me initially but now I am unable to remember words or gauge reaction to situations correctly.

My point being that meds can help, initially but only if you have therapy on the horizon too, which I don't.

We're people too!

"

Please seek help coming off any medication you are feeling better because the meds are doing their job x

"I'm weaning myself off of a med that gives me unbelievable nightmares and leaves me in a mongy, zombied state.

We're people too!

Please seek help coming off any medication you are feeling better because the meds are doing theirx job x"

Oh I am, thank you.

I suffer with it and have done on and off for years on medication again but dont have very supportive family i just keep getting told snap out of it if it was only that easy

"I suffer with it and have done on and off for years on medication again but dont have very supportive family i just keep getting told snap out of it if it was only that easy"

I would book an appointment with your GP they'll refer you to your local mental health unit for assessment. You'll see an assessor then a social worker.

They should offer help with financial or debt problems if you have them,and book you in to see a specialist doctor. They'll decide whether and what type of medication you might need to be on. Whether it's CBT and drugs will depend on the reasons for your depression. For example. Patients who suffer due to historical abuse are much harder to treat than say someone with financial and relationship problems.

If it's serious they will admit you.

If it's really bad you can ask for a voluntary section.

If they think you're handling things better they can put you on day release.

There's help out there even if you can't talk to family or friends.

By *asokittyWoman  over a year ago

Nr Worksop

Depends.

Lived with it since I was a child. No cause just happens. Too often.

We're people too!

"

I'm weaning myself off meds too. One down and one to go

Would love to try CAT. I've never heard if it, just CBT.

"Had PND after my kids were born. Had group and single counselling. Took me ages to appreciate that it's a chemical imbalance and not my fault. I'm slowly coming off Citalopram now. It's utterly shite but thankfully a lot of us can empathise hi I've just been prescribed these did you take them in the morning or evening."
in the morning thats when i took mine its takes weeks to kick in even a month or two they didnt work for me though

I suffered badly a few years ago to the level of panic attacks. I also get SAD in winter. My ex used to tell me to man up. Counseling helped me develop coping mechanisms.

Now she's finally accepted she has PND.. And even with meds, she's suffering. She took herself off them and it got worse.

I still have my grey moments, perversely I find work therapeutic...I have access to corrosive, poisonous and downright nasty chemicals, plus cut throat razors, surgical scalpels and oh so many ways I could offer myself a resolution.

But I look, I remind myself that my kids need both of us, especially if she's struggling, and I think that's the easy way out.

Knowing I can, makes me realise that that if I did, it would serve no good purpose, and do incalculable damage to my kids.

Instead, I have to fight.. Every day. I take time out.. Go for a walk, enjoy the sun, the air, remind myself that things could be oh so much worse. Look to the positives.

Working so far.