FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Someone has cut down my buddleja!

Someone has cut down my buddleja!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The bastards! I have a 4 or 5 plants tight up against the outside of my fence, and in no way cause a problem for access up the path. The bees and butterflies love them, the seeds feed birds in the winter, and the act as a screen for privacy. I'm so fucking cross! They could at least have spoken to me about it before taking the loppers to them!

Grrrrr!

As you were.

Nell

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Well, that's just shit isn't it.

"Well, that's just shit isn't it. "

It most certainly is! I'm looking suspiciously at the neighbours to see if anyone looks shifty.......

Our neighbors did that to one of ours in the back garden a few years ago. It's grown back from the roots now though.

"Well, that's just shit isn't it.

It most certainly is! I'm looking suspiciously at the neighbours to see if anyone looks shifty......."

Look for traces of the evidence, or did they just leave it on the floor?

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

If they were outside your fence, they probably didn't realise you saw them as 'yours' and were just clearing the path.

Plant some inside your fence - job done

Mr ddc

It's a a longish driveway sized area in the terraces that gives access to the back ginnels at the bottom of the gardens. I own it but have to allow access to other residents. It was obvious that they were the plants were purposefully put there. I think I know who it was, I'm just popping over to have a word......

By *ischief ManagedCouple  over a year ago

manchester

Oohh would like to hear the outcome!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Go and plant a massive lump of pampas grass in their front garden

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

The chap who lives opposite us has some plum trees and one year the local kids discovered they made great missiles. Very quickly persons unknown lopped off the low hanging branches

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

Our shared-access drive, originally 16 foot wide, was down to less than 10, thanks to our neighbours 'extended planting scheme'. When the binmen were starting to refuse to drive down it my loppers came out too

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Maybe they were getting too big? Ours goes huge. The good thing as you probably know is they survive a really good pruning

By *aucyladMan  over a year ago

Dublin

So how did the chat with the neighbour go?

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

What?????? I'd be fuming about that. At least they grow back fairly quickly

I can imagine them now scuffling over some hacked limbs scattered on the floor!

They weren't too big, and even if they were they could have asked me to reduce the size. Although it's a driveway sized path it's not a driveway. It was for access for a horse and cart to the outbuildings at the bottom of my property. Binmen, cars etc. have never used it.

Anyway, I spoke to the landlady who is cleaning the house next door ready for new tenants, and it was her builders who did it at her instruction. It looks like they sprayed the 'horrible s' too (actually they are wildflowers and some perennials from my garden you Muppet). She says she'll pop over in a bit to give me some money for the plants.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"They weren't too big, and even if they were they could have asked me to reduce the size.

"

If I could reduce my font to a very very small size I would do that now and say...ok as I slink away

Forum Mod

O o O oo

PS, why did she tell them to cut down your bush

"They weren't too big, and even if they were they could have asked me to reduce the size.

If I could reduce my font to a very very small size I would do that now and say...ok as I slink away "

Haha! Sorry, I wasn't being curt!

"PS, why did she tell them to cut down your bush "

Whenever new tenants go in she claims they have always 'tidied up' the path. The last tenants had been there since before my ex and I bought our house, so she may not have been aware that it was our property, which I find odd as our house goes over the top of it and joins onto hers.

"They weren't too big, and even if they were they could have asked me to reduce the size. Although it's a driveway sized path it's not a driveway. It was for access for a horse and cart to the outbuildings at the bottom of my property. Binmen, cars etc. have never used it.

Anyway, I spoke to the landlady who is cleaning the house next door ready for new tenants, and it was her builders who did it at her instruction. It looks like they sprayed the 'horrible s' too (actually they are wildflowers and some perennials from my garden you Muppet). She says she'll pop over in a bit to give me some money for the plants."

I'd check with a lawyer could be a claim for damages there, destroying your property

"They weren't too big, and even if they were they could have asked me to reduce the size. Although it's a driveway sized path it's not a driveway. It was for access for a horse and cart to the outbuildings at the bottom of my property. Binmen, cars etc. have never used it.

Anyway, I spoke to the landlady who is cleaning the house next door ready for new tenants, and it was her builders who did it at her instruction. It looks like they sprayed the 'horrible s' too (actually they are wildflowers and some perennials from my garden you Muppet). She says she'll pop over in a bit to give me some money for the plants.

I'd check with a lawyer could be a claim for damages there, destroying your property"

She's already offered to pay for the plants and I'd like to keep things civil. Now she knows it's my property I'm assuming it won't happen again.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"PS, why did she tell them to cut down your bush

Whenever new tenants go in she claims they have always 'tidied up' the path. The last tenants had been there since before my ex and I bought our house, so she may not have been aware that it was our property, which I find odd as our house goes over the top of it and joins onto hers. "

Yeah, sounds like she knew alright but wanted it trimmed anyway

She sounds reasonable so just make sure she knows to leave your plants alone in future. I love big bushes

I'd check with a lawyer could be a claim for damages there, destroying your property"

Erm ... Has the American approach finally taken hold? Consulting a solicitor would cost them considerably more than any potential claim. While our legal system is by no means perfect, thank the Lord that it has not yet become that mad.

"If they were outside your fence, they probably didn't realise you saw them as 'yours' and were just clearing the path.

Mr ddc "

This ^

I live in a busy city and it can be an issue near busy roads as some times there isn't the room for pedestrians to bypass one another without going onto the road.

They still should've asked you though regardless.

"If they were outside your fence, they probably didn't realise you saw them as 'yours' and were just clearing the path.

Mr ddc

This ^

I live in a busy city and it can be an issue near busy roads as some times there isn't the room for pedestrians to bypass one another without going onto the road.

"

It's not next to a road, it's a 15 metre long path that runs between my garden and next door's. There is an arch in the terrace underneath my bathroom and a bedroom the width of a driveway, and the path extands beyond that to the ginnels at the bottom of the gardens where the old outhouses used to be. There was no danger or obstacle to any roads or footpaths, and even if there had been it would have been polite for her to talk to me about it first. I would have happily trimmed them back a bit.

They soon grow back...and quickly.

Unless they've hacked at it.

"They soon grow back...and quickly.

Unless they've hacked at it."

They've really hacked at it. There are just mashed up stumps about an inch or 2 high. Still waiting......

Oh dear.

The so and so's.

Obviously not butterfly fans.

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"What?????? I'd be fuming about that. At least they grow back fairly quickly "
this

i have loads round the perimeter of my field, they can grow upto 8 feet in a year, i do lop them at the end of each year or in early spring..so the bees and butterflies have a full feast and they smell gorgeous.

if there is anything left just stick a few of the growing tips in the ground and they will take too.. im sorry to hear this. people just dont think...

By *ny1localMan  over a year ago

READING

if you need to replace them maybe go for the 'Buzz' varieties,they're dwarf ones compared to their big cousins.

Mr ddc

This ^

It's not next to a road, it's a 15 metre long path that runs between my garden and next door's. There is an arch in the terrace underneath my bathroom and a bedroom the width of a driveway, and the path extands beyond that to the ginnels at the bottom of the gardens where the old outhouses used to be. There was no danger or obstacle to any roads or footpaths, and even if there had been it would have been polite for her to talk to me about it first. I would have happily trimmed them back a bit."

Lol I didn't say it was. I just said it's an issue here when a woman has to move into the road with a pushchair because bushes and hedges are overgrown.

Clearly in this case they should have knocked your door, explain why they thought it was a nuisance, and asked you to sort it. You would've been able to trim them yourself or tie them back.

Some people are just thoughtless. We used to have a phantom rose pruner.

I've thought about doing some guerilla gardening in an abandoned patch of ground I've spotted near a canal.

Only thing I miss about leaving the house is my tree. xxx

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

So disappointed..

I read the title and was hoping for a great euphemism..

Although they shouldn't have cut them back they will most likely be ok and grow back fine. I cut all of mine back very harshy each year and they grow to well over 10 foot again next spring. Maybe give them a very good watering and feed.

"if you need to replace them maybe go for the 'Buzz' varieties,they're dwarf ones compared to their big cousins."

They're lovely, aren't they? I like peacock as well, also a small variety. I won't have any problems replacing them as I'm a gardener by trade, it's just the inconvenience that irks me. She still hasn't been over

Hurrah! She gave me 50 quid

Wishing those that did the deed an itchy bum for the rest of their lives.....

How rotten they are ...

X

By *rank n BettyCouple  over a year ago

Not meeting

I'd be fuming!!! Cheeky mare!!!

I'm currently having bin issues with my neighbour since block paving my drive & putting in a raised border to stop him putting his bins on my land.

JG x

That's such a shame! Poor wee bird, looks like it'll be another trip to the pet shop for you

"Wishing those that did the deed an itchy bum for the rest of their lives.....

How rotten they are ...

X "

Although she readily gave me money to replace them she didn't apologise at all. I wish her an itchy bum too.

I've had on-going issues with bin bags being left under the arch for years. We don't have wheelie bins, and when the binmen stopped going down the back ginnel to get the bags from the dustbins people just started leaving them under our arch. Sometimes 4 or 5 days before collection. Obviously after the cats and rats had been at them it was a pretty grim state of affairs.

"That's such a shame! Poor wee bird, looks like it'll be another trip to the pet shop for you "

Eh?

By *hloe sussexTV/TS  over a year ago

Larne

"The bastards! I have a 4 or 5 plants tight up against the outside of my fence, and in no way cause a problem for access up the path. The bees and butterflies love them, the seeds feed birds in the winter, and the act as a screen for privacy. I'm so fucking cross! They could at least have spoken to me about it before

Theretaking the loppers to them!

Grrrrr!

As you were.

Nell

They are indestructible they will come back with a vengeance

"

"That's such a shame! Poor wee bird, looks like it'll be another trip to the pet shop for you

Eh? "

Thought it said someone cut your budgerigar

"That's such a shame! Poor wee bird, looks like it'll be another trip to the pet shop for you

Eh?

Thought it said someone cut your budgerigar "

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"The chap who lives opposite us has some plum trees and one year the local kids discovered they made great missiles. Very quickly persons unknown lopped off the low hanging branches "
When younger them plums would have been nice to eat instead of wasteing them like that how generations change..

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

They are a plant that thrives on severe pruning - though the birds won't get seeds this winter. I often light prune in autumn and hard prune in February or March. They flower better when hard pruned, so it's quids in.

» Add a new message to this topic