FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fencing issue

Fencing issue

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've got a terrace house that I rent out, it's in the middle of a row of three. The neighbour called me yesterday to say that her dog and the tenant's dog bark constantly at one another when they're both out in the garden. The fence is the original one that Barratt put up and it's got gaps between the vertical slats, so unfortunately the dogs can see each other.

She asked if I'd go halves on the wood to fill in the gaps. I was really taken aback and didn't know what to say, I suggested she spoke to the tenant about it, as I said I didn't have the money for fencing. She droned on and on about the fence and in the end I said it wasn't effecting me, so why should I pay for it. With hindsight that probably wasn't the smartest thing to say, but her tone was snotty and I'd had enough of her ranting.

Although I don't want to fall out with her, I don't want to end up paying hundreds of pounds out for the fence.

Any thoughts anyone?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I live in a terraced house. The left hand fence belongs to next door and the right hand one belongs to me. Check whose fence it is, if its yours keep quite and just go halves lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

yep, you get the rent, it's your garden, property and fence, so if you want good relations with your neighbours ( even though don't live there ) pay...andmaybe consider a no pet tenancy in future

Tell her it's part of her tenancy agreement that she cannot have any pets then threaten to evict her.

That should steady her up for a wee while

also are the gaps in the fence how it should be or are they there due to wear and tear. The landlords responsibility is to keep the property up to standard

"I live in a terraced house. The left hand fence belongs to next door and the right hand one belongs to me. Check whose fence it is, if its yours keep quite and just go halves lol"

So do you mean if I'm looking at the back garden from inside, the fence on the left is next doors?

"Tell her it's part of her tenancy agreement that she cannot have any pets then threaten to evict her.

That should steady her up for a wee while "

Thats fine if its in the agreed tenancy that they have

"also are the gaps in the fence how it should be or are they there due to wear and tear. The landlords responsibility is to keep the property up to standard"

The gaps are how Barratt built it.

"Tell her it's part of her tenancy agreement that she cannot have any pets then threaten to evict her.

That should steady her up for a wee while "

I agreed to the dog....didn't realise it was gonna be a husky tho

"I live in a terraced house. The left hand fence belongs to next door and the right hand one belongs to me. Check whose fence it is, if its yours keep quite and just go halves lol

So do you mean if I'm looking at the back garden from inside, the fence on the left is next doors?"

I may be wrong but I think that if the supports are on your property it's your fence

As others have said check the deeds as you will be responsible for one boundary.

Having said that I'd let her pay for it if it bothers her that much. The tenant presumably doesn't want to shell out upgrading the landlord's fence.

It's not ideal as it's always good to maintain good relations but I'd leave her to it as fencing can be dear.

If all else fails hand out cotton wool for the old ears!

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"I live in a terraced house. The left hand fence belongs to next door and the right hand one belongs to me. Check whose fence it is, if its yours keep quite and just go halves lol

So do you mean if I'm looking at the back garden from inside, the fence on the left is next doors?"

Find out legally which side is yours...if any x

"also are the gaps in the fence how it should be or are they there due to wear and tear. The landlords responsibility is to keep the property up to standard

The gaps are how Barratt built it."

well if its not due to wear and tear and has always been there tell her if she wants to replace it herself shes welcome

the dogs can see each other argument is a bit daft too

as they can smell each other better than they can see each other really

so perhaps the blocking off would ease dogs having a go at each other - but hmmm i doubt it totally would stop it

I dont know, i just know which is mine and which is the neighbours. You can easily find out though

Think you would do better to look at the deeds of the house, that should tell you which boundaries and fences are yours, it may be a party as in shared fence ?????

As a rule of thumb, if the posts are on your side, it's your fence. If th posts are on 'tother side, fence belongs to the neighbours

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I`ve seen these bloody Barret fences and they`re crap! Central horizontal rails with upright slats of wood alternatively on each side! It`s design is to allow the wind to pass through while giving "privacy" Only the deeds to your house are going to tell you who the fence belongs to but I doubt if extra slats are going to be the solution anyway as my next door neighbours dogs will bark if they hear a sparrow break wind! And there is the scent issue too.

Very difficult one to solve.

im a landlord too and had this problem i agreed to a pet if she sorted out problems which sounded fair but unfortunately the tennant is deaf and also worked odd hrs at post office and didnt realise the dog was waking next door up but the local council went round and to cut a long story short told both parties what had to be done and it worked an i never had to get involved sorted with tact try this route

By *oresomefunCouple  over a year ago

shrops

As you look out the back with the house behind you the fence on the Left is your's

as a rule of thumb.

If the fence in question is yours then as long as it is in good shape and not needing repair then you don't need to do anything

i have just had to find out the same sort of thing..

If you look in your deeds your fence will be markd with a T on the boundry

"As you look out the back with the house behind you the fence on the Left is your's

as a rule of thumb.

If the fence in question is yours then as long as it is in good shape and not needing repair then you don't need to do anything

i have just had to find out the same sort of thing..

If you look in your deeds your fence will be markd with a T on the boundry

"

Yeah so it is my fence, but there's nothing wrong with it, in good state etc

"I`ve seen these bloody Barret fences and they`re crap! Central horizontal rails with upright slats of wood alternatively on each side! It`s design is to allow the wind to pass through while giving "privacy" Only the deeds to your house are going to tell you who the fence belongs to but I doubt if extra slats are going to be the solution anyway as my next door neighbours dogs will bark if they hear a sparrow break wind! And there is the scent issue too.

Very difficult one to solve."

Sparrow break wind....thanks I chuckled at that one lol!!

"im a landlord too and had this problem i agreed to a pet if she sorted out problems which sounded fair but unfortunately the tennant is deaf and also worked odd hrs at post office and didnt realise the dog was waking next door up but the local council went round and to cut a long story short told both parties what had to be done and it worked an i never had to get involved sorted with tact try this route"

Thanks, I'll try this approach

By *oresomefunCouple  over a year ago

shrops

"

Yeah so it is my fence, but there's nothing wrong with it, in good state etc"

So it just depends what your like with next door then, if your not too bothered about her moaning. leave it

athough if she is willing to pay half get a good job done and dont forget to claim it against your tax

By *cotscple4funCouple  over a year ago

lanarkshire

we had same problem so we started walking the dogs together now they play all day in the gardens together and much better exercise than we can ever give them we dont even have the problem of dog fouling if its in ours we pick it up in theres they do works well

"

Yeah so it is my fence, but there's nothing wrong with it, in good state etc

So it just depends what your like with next door then, if your not too bothered about her moaning. leave it

athough if she is willing to pay half get a good job done and dont forget to claim it against your tax

"

never thought of the tax thing....mmm that's a good idea

I checked the deeds on my house and inside was a drawing and a note of who's responsibility it was for the border fencing. I didnt want to look at any of the neighbours comings and goings or have any of them looking into my garden so I erected new fencing in front of all the existing, planted a hedge on the highest elevation and enjoy the privacy. I didnt want a higgledy piggledy border of three different neighbours interpretation of a stylish fence.

Theres also the possibility of telling them to take some responsibility and stop the dogs shouting at each other Mine used to go mental at the dog in the next close- until I stopped him doing it- know it's simplistic & probably sounds like a very trite answer, but it can be done.....

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

The laws are different in Scotland to England but I look after the maintenance in my building, there are 16 flats, most of them are occupied by the people who own them but there are a couple which are rented out.

The tenants are responsible for paying the stair cleaning dues and for the maintenance of the garden. Any building repairs etc. are the responsibility of the landlord.

I generally speak to the tenants if I have issues and hopefully resolve them directly but if not then I'd do what the neighbour has done and go to the landlord. I had an issue with the people above me regarding their noise and after speaking to them on three separate occasions, they have bought wireless headphones so they only deafen themselves! Result! Not the same sort of situation of course, but keeping it amicable is the way forward. No-one ever gets anywhere by being arsey about stuff.

Personally... I would have a chat to your tenant, explain that the neighbour has been in touch about the issue with the dogs and ask her to contribute to a new fence. Ultimately, it's your property and most likely at least one boundary will be your responsibility but there's absolutely no reason that you cannot ask your tenant to make a contribution. After all, if she didn't have a dog, you wouldn't need to make any alterations to the fence.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Speaking to the tenant is a good idea, apparently her and the neighbour have already chatted about it and have agreed it's a problem.

Thanx for your advice

If as you say the fence is in good repair.And neighbours have problems.

Why doesnt the neighbour just erect another fence on their side.?

Problem solved as far as neighbour is concerned and you dont have pay for nothing

By *anny PepperoniMan  over a year ago

Matlock

"I live in a terraced house. The left hand fence belongs to next door and the right hand one belongs to me. Check whose fence it is, if its yours keep quite and just go halves lol"

Yeah you are usually responsible for one of the 2 boundaries so I concur with the above.

Find out from the lease who's actual responsibility it is, then speak to them.

On the other hand, if you dont want to fall out with her, go for the 50/50 just to keep the peace, just explain that you cannot afford it, ultimately though its the reponsibility of whoever the fence belongs to under the lease/deeds of the house

But if the fence is fit for purpose, ie it hasn't fallen apart or is in disprepair, then it's not up to the landlord to make any alterations to it just because the tenant has chosen to get a dog.

Perhaps the tenant needs to consider the fact that if her dog is making a nuisance of itself, then maybe it needs to be kept in the house or that she needs to make suitable arrangements, at her expense, to deal with the issue.

I have an American Bulldog who likes nothing better than to jump up at the yard wall and bark at passers by, so I simply asked if I could increase the height of the wall, to which I was told yes. I did it and the problem went away, but I did it at MY expense and not the landlords, after all why should they pay, it's my dog not theirs

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

If I was the tenant and you let me let the house knowing I had a dog, there is no way I would be contributing to a new fence.

It is your house, so I think it is your responisbility for any repairs or modifications needed....as others have said check your deeds.

I don't know about anyone else's house but we have bought a few houses and our boundery fence was always the right hand side.

cant help but think that the fence aint the problem.....its the dog(s)

as said by others filling in the gaps might only make it worse as the dogs will be able to smell each other but not see each other......maybe call the dog whisperer

to be honest renewing the fence to stop the dogs seeing each other isn't going to stop them barking at each other in fact it may make the worse.

we have a westie and our next door neighbour has a staffy,we have 6 foot fence panels and they both go mad every time they are out together, they cant see each other they can however hear and smell each other. the next door neighbours dog has cut all his nose where he keeps butting the fence. they are both friendly dogs too have seen each other outside of the gardens and get on . so if anything puting up fencing so they cant see each other may not help.

my mother in law lives next to a woman who has dogs and they constantly bark all day long it drives her mad but nothing really she can do

the only peace she gets is when she goes to work

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Actually... that's a good point! Why don't your tenant and your neighbour try going for a walk together... that way the dogs make friends and maybe they'll stop barking at each other and have a nice cuppa and a quiet chat next time they bump into each other over the fence!

"

my mother in law lives next to a woman who has dogs and they constantly bark all day long it drives her mad but nothing really she can do

the only peace she gets is when she goes to work "

Guy down from me has a garden that borders the public footpath. I have lived here 24 years so have seen his various dogs come and go but each and every one of them have given me such a scare as I (or anyone else) passes the fence. I think this is more to do with his bad training of his pooches than anything else. I think dogs locked up during the day while owners are at work must be bored out of their skulls and want to communicate to anybody passing.

I sympathise with your mum xxx

» Add a new message to this topic