FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Shop bought or home made food?

Shop bought or home made food?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Home made for me - except basics like rice, tinned tomatoes etc., ( I always water my plants too much and never seem to get a good "glut" and have enough to make home made tomato sauce ).

What's your preference, is there something that shop bought is better than you do or vice versa?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Shop bought home made if that makes any sense

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

There is nothing shop bought that is better than I can cook. Big headed? Maybe but hubby will agree with me.

I work full time and cook everything from scratch. I don't think there's ever any excuse for salt and sugar laden ready meals every night except for pure laziness.

*Her*

lazy devil lol

"There is nothing shop bought that is better than I can cook. Big headed? Maybe but hubby will agree with me.

I work full time and cook everything from scratch. I don't think there's ever any excuse for salt and sugar laden ready meals every night except for pure laziness.

*Her*"

am with you . least I know what goes in my ice cream etc., no added yuck stuff or pumped full of water / chemicls / air

"lazy devil lol"

Hell yes but its nicer than trying to do it my self or buying processed ASDA stuff lol

"lazy devil lol

Hell yes but its nicer than trying to do it my self or buying processed ASDA stuff lol"

Whip it out man and get to work lol, discover something new.....ermm I mean tastebuds and relaxing whilst have a nice drink as you create something worth eating lol

"lazy devil lol

Hell yes but its nicer than trying to do it my self or buying processed ASDA stuff lol

Whip it out man and get to work lol, discover something new.....ermm I mean tastebuds and relaxing whilst have a nice drink as you create something worth eating lol "

Im a crap cook! I can burn water im that bad.

"lazy devil lol

Whip it out man and get to work lol, discover something new.....ermm I mean tastebuds and relaxing whilst have a nice drink as you create something worth eating lol

Im a crap cook! I can burn water im that bad. "

Never known or met anyone who can do that!

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

Home-made except for the basics.

And Haagen-Dasz ice cream

By *rs Sugar Mr SpiceCouple  over a year ago

We are about 15 mins outa Pontypridd and we do go to Crawley in west sussex 2-3 times a year so get in touch !!

Home made ,most defenatly

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

I only like Ambrosia Creamed Rice

My mum used to make rice pudding, but I had the tinned stuff, I've never had a home made one that I like

"Home-made except for the basics.

And Haagen-Dasz ice cream "

that's one of my pet hates, tried it and was full of air ;-(

"Home-made except for the basics.

And Haagen-Dasz ice cream

that's one of my pet hates, tried it and was full of air ;-("

Good. More for me...

Homemade every time, except for a very occasional takeway pizza or fish and chips.

Mrs R

lol have all mine with pleasure

shop bought lube for me lol

"shop bought lube for me lol "

I guess ya use fruit flavour for it to qualify as food

"shop bought lube for me lol "

Nowt wrong with chicken fat from the Sunday roast

By *horacleCouple  over a year ago

Harwich

Since hubby and I became vegan there is very little shop brought that we can eat. Even Quorn has egg in it.

I think boiled sweets are best shop brought, I tried making my own once and they just turned out lie sugar cubes with a hint of strawberry lol

"shop bought lube for me lol

Nowt wrong with chicken fat from the Sunday roast "

lmao goos one , hope not straight from fridge though :-

lmao goos one , hope not straight from fridge though :-"

Only as a special treat

"Since hubby and I became vegan there is very little shop brought that we can eat. Even Quorn has egg in it.

I think boiled sweets are best shop brought, I tried making my own once and they just turned out lie sugar cubes with a hint of strawberry lol"

mmmmm love a bit of Hardcore Quorn ..

Only as a special treat "

lol friend of mine confided one day that her bubby couldn't do it unless she had icecubes in her!

gonna have a look at quorn pack to check out ingedients / additives sometime, had it once about 30 years ago & thought it disgusting taste and texture

Only as a special treat

lol friend of mine confided one day that her bubby couldn't do it unless she had icecubes in her! "

wwowww that was one hot chick lol

Only as a special treat

lol friend of mine confided one day that her bubby couldn't do it unless she had icecubes in her!

wwowww that was one hot chick lol"

and one cold cock

Only as a special treat

and one cold cock "

can't imagine how odd that would have felt ( for her ) and....yuck freezing cold water running down there...in fact I don't want to think about it anymore lol ....arggghhh

Only as a special treat

and one cold cock "

butt nothing for two in the bush

Only as a special treat

and one cold cock

butt nothing for two in the bush"

Now youre just being a perv

By *anny PepperoniMan  over a year ago

Matlock

homemade every time for me

Xxx

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Home made wherever possible im a bit OCD about it

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I cannot cook. I've tried, but a bad experience in Home Ec at school put me off completely.

I even once, when I was at uni burnt a Pot Noodle. They don't like going in the microwave.

But the last couple of years, my housemates have been gradually teaching me to cook. Most things we eat in the house are home-made, and just so much better then shop bought.

I can make very very basic food, but I'm getting a little more adventurous now in my cooking ability.

Still a very long way to go though.

Takeaway for me

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Im having to buy shop bought red cabbage at the moment as all the homemade i had has gone and it just isnt the same

Im a good cook and cook from scratch but I would never make my own puff pastry, as shop bought is just as good. I grow tomatoes succesfully but use the gluts for chutneys as I think tinned tomatoes are a brilliant store cupboard item. I don't like fiddling about removing the skin and sauces are horrible with little curled up bits of it in them. I have tried making fresh mayo too - its helmans for me still.

Matlock

"Im a good cook and cook from scratch but I would never make my own puff pastry, as shop bought is just as good. I grow tomatoes succesfully but use the gluts for chutneys as I think tinned tomatoes are a brilliant store cupboard item. I don't like fiddling about removing the skin and sauces are horrible with little curled up bits of it in them. I have tried making fresh mayo too - its helmans for me still."

I think you can be forgiven there I mean puff pastry is a pig to make! But if you are making the fillings and using the tomatoes in your cooking its still home made in my book! They are store cupboard items. I worked in a restaurant once in a hotel, quite swish and they used minced garlic out of a jar!! I'd never do that!

Homemade whenever I can, however, I don't make my own curry paste etc...

Matlock

"Homemade whenever I can, however, I don't make my own curry paste etc...

"

I tried that and it tasted great but I couldn't get it semi dry like it is in the jars!

Home made good old fashioned cooking cant beat a good cottage pie or homemade toad in the hole or classic sunday roast. And I hate microwaves.

By *horacleCouple  over a year ago

Harwich

"gonna have a look at quorn pack to check out ingedients / additives sometime, had it once about 30 years ago & thought it disgusting taste and texture"

I wasnt a big fan but it was better than nothing, now cant have that lol.

I sometimes use curry paste too but take the oil off top - would love to find a semi dry one tho. I do add things I like to spice the jars up a bit though like fresh cardamom pods.

Matlock

"gonna have a look at quorn pack to check out ingedients / additives sometime, had it once about 30 years ago & thought it disgusting taste and texture

I wasnt a big fan but it was better than nothing, now cant have that lol."

No real substitute for a nice juicy bit of meat though!

"Im a good cook and cook from scratch but I would never make my own puff pastry, as shop bought is just as good. I grow tomatoes succesfully but use the gluts for chutneys as I think tinned tomatoes are a brilliant store cupboard item. I don't like fiddling about removing the skin and sauces are horrible with little curled up bits of it in them. I have tried making fresh mayo too - its helmans for me still.

I think you can be forgiven there I mean puff pastry is a pig to make! But if you are making the fillings and using the tomatoes in your cooking its still home made in my book! They are store cupboard items. I worked in a restaurant once in a hotel, quite swish and they used minced garlic out of a jar!! I'd never do that!"

I planted 20 garlic cloves a few weeks back they are going great guns in this freak weather! I do chop half of my crop in a coffee grinder and freeze them. Then rap the frozen block with a hammer and they separate and go in a freezer bag to use when needed. Thats just a short cut/preservation thing though. I tried jarred garlic its too soft and no taste.

Matlock

"Im a good cook and cook from scratch but I would never make my own puff pastry, as shop bought is just as good. I grow tomatoes succesfully but use the gluts for chutneys as I think tinned tomatoes are a brilliant store cupboard item. I don't like fiddling about removing the skin and sauces are horrible with little curled up bits of it in them. I have tried making fresh mayo too - its helmans for me still.

I think you can be forgiven there I mean puff pastry is a pig to make! But if you are making the fillings and using the tomatoes in your cooking its still home made in my book! They are store cupboard items. I worked in a restaurant once in a hotel, quite swish and they used minced garlic out of a jar!! I'd never do that!

I planted 20 garlic cloves a few weeks back they are going great guns in this freak weather! I do chop half of my crop in a coffee grinder and freeze them. Then rap the frozen block with a hammer and they separate and go in a freezer bag to use when needed. Thats just a short cut/preservation thing though. I tried jarred garlic its too soft and no taste."

Ooh must try that!

"

I planted 20 garlic cloves a few weeks back they are going great guns in this freak weather! I do chop half of my crop in a coffee grinder and freeze them. Then rap the frozen block with a hammer and they separate and go in a freezer bag to use when needed. Thats just a short cut/preservation thing though. I tried jarred garlic its too soft and no taste.

Ooh must try that!"

Im full of what to do with gluts lol!!! Ill write to you in pm about herb butters - its on a thread somewhere but lost in time!! Or start a thread - loads of fellow foodies to contribute xx

i used to be terrible for fast food, takeaways and ready meals,...now i don't posses a jar of processed foods and could count on one hand how many takeaways i eat a year.

home cooked is the only way to enjoy food

Matlock

"

Ooh must try that!

Im full of what to do with gluts lol!!! Ill write to you in pm about herb butters - its on a thread somewhere but lost in time!! Or start a thread - loads of fellow foodies to contribute xx"

Mmmmmm yummy!

By *andy muncherMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"

Ooh must try that!

Im full of what to do with gluts lol!!! Ill write to you in pm about herb butters - its on a thread somewhere but lost in time!! Or start a thread - loads of fellow foodies to contribute xx

Mmmmmm yummy!"

im back so i think your wrong

Matlock

"

Ooh must try that!

Mmmmmm yummy!

im back so i think your wrong"

Hmmm as in a wrong un or mistaken or misguided or incorrect?? how exactly??

By *orestersCouple  over a year ago

The Forest

I'm amazed at all these people who get home from work and have nothing better to do with the few hours before bedtime than peel things, drizzle stuff and slave over a hot stove. Microwave meals - 10 mins to cook, 10 mins to eat, 10 mins to suffer indigestion and recover with a Rennie. That's a 30 minute meal done and dusted!

Matlock

"I'm amazed at all these people who get home from work and have nothing better to do with the few hours before bedtime than peel things, drizzle stuff and slave over a hot stove. Microwave meals - 10 mins to cook, 10 mins to eat, 10 mins to suffer indigestion and recover with a Rennie. That's a 30 minute meal done and dusted! "

Ah but then you are missing all the sensuality of the food!!!!

Its easy to prepare a meal from scratch in the same time it doesn't all have to be slaving over a hot stove. You either enjoy food or don't.

I remember reading an article from Bill Wyman. He said he couldn't understand after dinner chats in restaurants as you wouldn't sit on the garage forecourt chattering after filling up your car with petrol.

I wouldnt like to be that disinterested in the ritual of preparing and eating meals. I think its a very social time in a lot of instances.

Matlock

[Removed by poster at 20/04/11 11:16:20]

Matlock

We are all on here wit a common interest sex. In all its glory the feel taste smell sounds of appreciation the visual stimulation. All 5 senses involved. Only one other experience does that and that is food. Its just like sex! The different textures, juices dressings presentation the smell and sound of something hot sizzling in the pan, rubbing an oil marinade into a nice thick piece of beef!

Tell me I'm wrong?????

When watching that recent series about the secrets of the human brain, it discussed why babies formed such a close bond with their mother. Research showed that newborn babies only register love towards the one feeding them and this changes as they get older and they get a 'food reward' from other ones caring for them. Evil babies with their conditional love hahahah!

Everyone loves going to Grannies house for the same reason - she's always got some delicious food hidden away when you visit!

Love and food is strongly connected so I have to agree sex and food are probably strongly linked too. I think we should organise a Roman Orgy and test out the theory!!

By *orestersCouple  over a year ago

The Forest

"When watching that recent series about the secrets of the human brain, it discussed why babies formed such a close bond with their mother. Research showed that newborn babies only register love towards the one feeding them and this changes as they get older and they get a 'food reward' from other ones caring for them. Evil babies with their conditional love hahahah!

Everyone loves going to Grannies house for the same reason - she's always got some delicious food hidden away when you visit!

Love and food is strongly connected so I have to agree sex and food are probably strongly linked too. I think we should organise a Roman Orgy and test out the theory!!"

So that's why I had such a crush on Captain Birdseye!

"

So that's why I had such a crush on Captain Birdseye! "

hahahah I love your humour xxxx

I use an old Ice cube tray, one cube is approx two cloves, turn them out when frozen and pop them in a bag.

I also go to a local Asian market buy a tray of chillies, blitz them, mix with oil and freeze them the same way approx 2 chillies to a cube

"I use an old Ice cube tray, one cube is approx two cloves, turn them out when frozen and pop them in a bag.

I also go to a local Asian market buy a tray of chillies, blitz them, mix with oil and freeze them the same way approx 2 chillies to a cube"

You can freeze chillies whole too, Pet. I grow round mild chillies to about an inch in diameter, take out the pith/seeds and stuff with a teaspoonful of salted ricotta cheese. Cover them with oil in a jar (or tupperware) and ready to eat in a week! To die for!!!

"I use an old Ice cube tray, one cube is approx two cloves, turn them out when frozen and pop them in a bag.

I also go to a local Asian market buy a tray of chillies, blitz them, mix with oil and freeze them the same way approx 2 chillies to a cube

You can freeze chillies whole too, Pet. I grow round mild chillies to about an inch in diameter, take out the pith/seeds and stuff with a teaspoonful of salted ricotta cheese. Cover them with oil in a jar (or tupperware) and ready to eat in a week! To die for!!!"

Oh I bet, sounds delish

You can freeze chillies whole too, Pet. I grow round mild chillies to about an inch in diameter, take out the pith/seeds and stuff with a teaspoonful of salted ricotta cheese. Cover them with oil in a jar (or tupperware) and ready to eat in a week! To die for!!!

Oh I bet, sounds delish"

Cheaper than the deli ones and you can use the oil for cooking afterwards.

Oh I bet, sounds delish

Cheaper than the deli ones and you can use the oil for cooking afterwards."

Love flavoured oils

Matlock

"When watching that recent series about the secrets of the human brain, it discussed why babies formed such a close bond with their mother. Research showed that newborn babies only register love towards the one feeding them and this changes as they get older and they get a 'food reward' from other ones caring for them. Evil babies with their conditional love hahahah!

Love and food is strongly connected so I have to agree sex and food are probably strongly linked too. I think we should organise a Roman Orgy and test out the theory!!"

Count me in! Oyster anyone?

some good ideas here, so going to plant some garlic later today, picking first batch of rocket and lettuce this week and strawberry plants got first flowers showing, hoping for lots of strawberries this year, my [atio taken over with 40 odd plant pots ( some not small lol )

"some good ideas here, so going to plant some garlic later today, picking first batch of rocket and lettuce this week and strawberry plants got first flowers showing, hoping for lots of strawberries this year, my [atio taken over with 40 odd plant pots ( some not small lol ) "

You could grow lollipops in Lincolnshire - you are so lucky to live in that beautiful corner of england xxxx

» Add a new message to this topic