FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The good folk of Bristol

The good folk of Bristol

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm going to be in your fair city for the whole of next week doing a photographic workshop/course.

Where are your most photogenic landmarks? In also looking for good eatery recommendations, unless any of you fancy cooking me up some grub

Ta muchly.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aughty_amazonWoman  over a year ago

BRISTOL

Me and Ligeia

"Me and Ligeia "

A solid start

By *omez42Man  over a year ago

gloucester

The suspension bridge, Avon gorge, camera obscurer, Victoria rooms, Blaize castle, Blaize hamlet - a little walk from the castle car park, but a hidden gem behind a gate in the wall.

Cabot tower, the docks, SS Great Britain, Temple Meads, Totterdown & Clifton terraces,

Plenty of photo opportunities. Sunset from Togg Hill may provide some er. other views!

"The suspension bridge, Avon gorge, camera obscurer, Victoria rooms, Blaize castle, Blaize hamlet - a little walk from the castle car park, but a hidden gem behind a gate in the wall.

Cabot tower, the docks, SS Great Britain, Temple Meads, Totterdown & Clifton terraces,

Plenty of photo opportunities. Sunset from Togg Hill may provide some er. other views!"

All great tips there, thank you.

I'm unaware of the other views available at Togg Hill, likely I'd be arrested for photographing them perhaps?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The Wills Building. Clifton bridge.

There's a good view of the suspension bridge from the Avon Gorge Hotel, Bristol University is pretty impressive and I think Park St is quite good for photos. Also second Blaise Hamlet it's a real gem.

"There's a good view of the suspension bridge from the Avon Gorge Hotel, Bristol University is pretty impressive and I think Park St is quite good for photos. Also second Blaise Hamlet it's a real gem. "

That's 2 votes for the Blaise Hamlet, so that's going to be a definite visit. I like photographing quirky buildings, landmarks, etc. Makes a change from dealing with Bridezillas

"There's a good view of the suspension bridge from the Avon Gorge Hotel, Bristol University is pretty impressive and I think Park St is quite good for photos. Also second Blaise Hamlet it's a real gem.

That's 2 votes for the Blaise Hamlet, so that's going to be a definite visit. I like photographing quirky buildings, landmarks, etc. Makes a change from dealing with Bridezillas "

In that case, try the area between the centre and Broadmead, there is some interesting Graffiti or street art on some of the buildings, also from the centre is an old archway leading up to Corn St

Down on the waterfront by the docks is great,then you can nip.up to park st,another great place is the clifton downs

"Down on the waterfront by the docks is great,then you can nip.up to park st,another great place is the clifton downs "

I've got a full week to explore so rest assured I'll be checking it out.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

"The suspension bridge, Avon gorge, camera obscurer, Victoria rooms, Blaize castle, Blaize hamlet - a little walk from the castle car park, but a hidden gem behind a gate in the wall.

Plenty of photo opportunities. Sunset from Togg Hill may provide some er. other views!"

We'll stick with Amazon & Ligeia thanks

S&H

Plenty of photo opportunities. Sunset from Togg Hill may provide some er. other views!

We'll stick with Amazon & Ligeia thanks

S&H"

So would I if they were gonna let me photograph them

If you have a car check out Standon drew stone circle about 8 miles south of Bristol.

I would also agree with all the above recomendations. and add that you should walk the river.

"If you have a car check out Standon drew stone circle about 8 miles south of Bristol. "

Added to my itinerary.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

When is the balloon festival on?

"When is the balloon festival on?"

Been and gone I do believe

BRISTOL

"When is the balloon festival on?

Been and gone I do believe "

Usually second weekend in August

BRISTOL

"If you have a car check out Standon drew stone circle about 8 miles south of Bristol.

Added to my itinerary. "

You can no longer go on the land, the farmer locked it down Years ago, I have a friend who lives opposite

"If you have a car check out Standon drew stone circle about 8 miles south of Bristol.

Added to my itinerary.

You can no longer go on the land, the farmer locked it down Years ago, I have a friend who lives opposite "

I'm a rebel, do some ninja crawling

I walked around it last year? There is an entrance with an honesty box, or there was last year.

"I walked around it last year? There is an entrance with an honesty box, or there was last year. "

yes you can still walk round it, would help if I gat the name spelled correctly though....

it's Stanton Drew, also recomend a visit to the Druids Arms in the village. cracking little pub

Dont forget the City of Bath, and Weird Wiltshire's many many ancient attractions if you have car.

Laycock village and home of photography

Castle Combe village (two roads from me!)

Kenny Long Barrow

The locks at Caen Hill Devizes

Avebury

Stone Henge

Silbury Hill

The white horses all around the area

Gosh I LOVE this part of England

Kennett Long Barrow that should read.

"Kennett Long Barrow that should read."

I've been to Castle Combe, a beautiful village. May have to run out that way.

Re' your other suggestions. I'll be making time to venture out over the weekend.

By *omez42Man  over a year ago

gloucester

Corn Street has plenty of history, should get some good shots there.

To find Blaize Hamlet, park behind the cafe, cross the road and turn right. Keep the wall on your left shoulder. The path curves to the left, part of a one way system. Follow it to the left and there is a small entrance in the wall on your left. Pick your tongue up off the floor and take photos!

If you only choose two, got for the long boat locks at Caen Hill Divizes, The gorgeous village of Laycock (the birth place of photography!) and Avebury stone circles, 10 times large than Stone Henge! and you can walk right up and touch them.

Oops! thats three!

SO much to see and do here.

Get to Avebury early early in the morning, misty dawn, sun rising, oh my... photo heaven! dont miss the tree of roots, quite a famous tree.

The locks at Caen hill will blow your mind and there is a great cafe there up the top. Park in the pay and display right next to the cafe.

Enjoy!

Apologies for spelling mistakes!

Devizes!

By *irty130Couple  over a year ago

Bristol Area

Ooh the Birdcage Walk in Clifton Village! It does look cooler in winter with no leaves IMO, but it's still beautiful in summer especially with the sun streaming through.

Brandon hill, Cabot tower is worth a look. And do get a YoYo burger.

By *he Big Five OhhMan  over a year ago

bristol

Oh yes Castle Coombe is pretty.. Didn't they film Dr Doolittle there ?

bristol

Forgot the food lol... Zaza bazaar in the waterfront.. It's a giant buffet style place with all the foods for a fixed price..(drinks a bit costly though)

Huge thanks to you all. I'm gonna be having a look at most of your suggestions at some point. I've got 6 afternoons/evenings to play with.

Eateries? My favourite restaurant when I worked in Bristol was San Carlo. Staff were great and the food was good quality and priced well

Oh I forgot the eateries to, The Waterfront has loads of great options, The Stable, Bordeaux Quay, Steak of The Art (unless you are vegetarian). Kathmandu near the Colston Hall is amazing for Nepalese and Traditional curries

BRISTOL

"Eateries? My favourite restaurant when I worked in Bristol was San Carlo. Staff were great and the food was good quality and priced well"

Second this, my fave ever restaurant and so friendly, I had both kids eating in there By the time they were 1, the waiters fuss over kids and bring them nibbles for nothing X

"Eateries? My favourite restaurant when I worked in Bristol was San Carlo. Staff were great and the food was good quality and priced well

Second this, my fave ever restaurant and so friendly, I had both kids eating in there By the time they were 1, the waiters fuss over kids and bring them nibbles for nothing X"

That's my evenings scoff sorted then.

Might also like Ashton court and if you don't mind a short trip - tyntesfield

bristol

Arnos court cemetery for something a bit different.

By *lpha__centauriMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Some great suggestions here!

Arnos Vale Cemetery is great and offers some wonderful shots of the ornate crypts.

Tyntesfield is too for some fantastic Autumnal colours in the woodland and the Gothic architecture of the main house (where they filmed Sherlock recently and a bunch of other programs).

Clifton bridge is being renovated at the moment so personally I wouldn't bother unless they've taken the scaffold down by now...

The other buildings and landmarks mentioned above are cool too, just not quite so iconic! The Harbourside with the cranes etc is nice too and I like Gloucester Road but I'm a bit bias there. Where abouts are you going to be based??

The Ivy brasserie in Clifton is tasty for food and a nice building inside. The Lido also for an interesting venue. If you want to splash out then Cassamia really is superb!!

"Some great suggestions here!

Arnos Vale Cemetery is great and offers some wonderful shots of the ornate crypts.

Tyntesfield is too for some fantastic Autumnal colours in the woodland and the Gothic architecture of the main house (where they filmed Sherlock recently and a bunch of other programs).

Clifton bridge is being renovated at the moment so personally I wouldn't bother unless they've taken the scaffold down by now...

The other buildings and landmarks mentioned above are cool too, just not quite so iconic! The Harbourside with the cranes etc is nice too and I like Gloucester Road but I'm a bit bias there. Where abouts are you going to be based??

The Ivy brasserie in Clifton is tasty for food and a nice building inside. The Lido also for an interesting venue. If you want to splash out then Cassamia really is superb!! "

Some great suggestions here!

» Add a new message to this topic