FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Family tree

Family tree

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ive never been one to really bother, but my great grandad was an interesting person.

But ever since i opened this bloody box of photos i want to know stuff.But my dad was the last of his generation so i have no idea where to start.

Its my dads mums side i want to trace any pointers?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

There are usually courses run by historians in the colleges/universities - may be worth your while checking out what's local to you.

Genealogy is one of my favourite hobbies - been at mine since I was 8 year-old!

It's a step-by-step procedure, starting with yourself. There are Personal Log Sheets on websites these days so you can keep track of information - and databases that not only keep the information, but create trees to print out too.

Have a look at Ancestry dot com - but beware that is a commercial site out to make money in the long run - but it does also have great resources to get you started.

Thankyou. I think it will keep me occupied over the winter

My sister traced our family tree back centuries but as she worked as a registrar she had all the info needed at her fingertips

Been doing family history for over 20yrs here... a good starting point is with birth marriage and death certificates as they hold a lot of information to get you started off.

There is also a good site thats free called freebmd but its not complete on there but i find its a good one to use for BMDs .

By *oyce69Man  over a year ago

Driffield

A good starting point is freeBMD or if you don't mind paying try findmypast.co.uk

Try and keep a record of what you find and where, ie:- when you find a marriage, note the page and ref number for future reference.

BMD certificates can be bought through GRO but are close to £10 a time, but sometimes this may be the only way to prove they are who you think they are.

I do have a question. How do you deal with different name spellings and wrong dates of birth. My grandma has three recorded different names and 2 different dates of birth recorded.

Sent you a pm x

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I got mine to early 1600s and it's fun and challenging. Persistence and doing it in simple steps is effective.

Name variations happened, so search for alternatives - people weren't that literate (passed on to future generations), so church staff often made mistakes too.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

"I do have a question. How do you deal with different name spellings and wrong dates of birth. My grandma has three recorded different names and 2 different dates of birth recorded. "

Happens a lot; but following records ( births, marriages, deaths) including those of their relatives and other family members, gives a wider perspective, and can eliminate " false trails". Important where there are several families in an area with the same name.

My niece did something like this; showed me a family tree she had derived; if she had asked me first, I could have told her that she had gone down a wrong trail with a great grandfather and saved herself a few wasted months.

"I do have a question. How do you deal with different name spellings and wrong dates of birth. My grandma has three recorded different names and 2 different dates of birth recorded.

Happens a lot; but following records ( births, marriages, deaths) including those of their relatives and other family members, gives a wider perspective, and can eliminate " false trails". Important where there are several families in an area with the same name.

My niece did something like this; showed me a family tree she had derived; if she had asked me first, I could have told her that she had gone down a wrong trail with a great grandfather and saved herself a few wasted months."

well i will be dead before i get to my great grandparents as my grandma was one of 23 children

» Add a new message to this topic