FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Body image issues

Body image issues

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *odareyou OP   Man  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

Carers and teachers are reporting young children (3-5 year olds) are anxious about their bodies

At age 10 it rises to nearly 50% of teachers and carers that report issues.

Given the reports of the obesity crisis the UK through various media...is this being transferred to the very young....

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Carers and teachers are reporting young children (3-5 year olds) are anxious about their bodies

Given the reports of the obesity crisis the UK through various media...is this being transferred to the very young....

"

With a bit of luck , yes .

Once through puberty and into the teens it can be so bloody hard to shift the excess weight .

Then the eating for comfort , sadness , and so on kicks in .

Let's just hope support groups for the kids and their parents can help .

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

With the very young, it is the parents shame not the childs

People of all ages should be aware of the dangers of obesity. It is indisputable that being obese increases negative health outcomes at all ages.

That being said body issues and obesity aren't strictly related. Mental health is much harder to pin down and, in my opinion, is poorly catered for in the UK.

By *lowercandyWoman  over a year ago

Lancashire

I don't think it's just the fact that "we" are more vocal about health and obesity.

The technology that is around today also plays a part.

Photographs can be altered in the extreme.

Social media allows younger and younger people to posts selfies without any thought of what they open themselves up to : 'friends' making digs /trolls calling them worse!

Is it any wonder that children and adults have issues.

Think back to a less technical age (not that long ago ) and I'm sure the statistics would be lower.

People hide behind technology without a care what the comments /alterations may do to others.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Just where do three to five year olds learn negative body issues.

Surely the parents should be telling them our beautiful/gorgeous/handsome they are

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

Having a poor body image and body image concerns is more likely to lead to obesity.

Some develop anorexia but some develop bulimia, binge eating disorder and EDNOS.

Thinking one is fat or being scared of getting fat are not going to prevent kids ftom getting fat. Quite the opposite.

"Just where do three to five year olds learn negative body issues.

Surely the parents should be telling them our beautiful/gorgeous/handsome they are"

And I do, but I also tell her that she needs to brush her teeth properly so they don't fall out and that too many sweeties are bad for her cos they will make her fat.

I was a fat child. I do not want that for her.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"Carers and teachers are reporting young children (3-5 year olds) are anxious about their bodies

With a bit of luck , yes .

Once through puberty and into the teens it can be so bloody hard to shift the excess weight .

Then the eating for comfort , sadness , and so on kicks in .

Let's just hope support groups for the kids and their parents can help ."

Hopefully?

Body image issues are not a good thing and will not help stem the rise of obesity.

Think about it. How often does making someone feel shit empower them to change versus how often it makes them feel deoressed and not in control of their life?

Kids shouldn't need support groups to help them not feel crap about themselves for no valid reason.

As a child my mother was told I was small for my age bearing in mind my mum is 5 '2 my gran was 4 '8 and by the age of 12 I had dwarfed my gran and her sister and even though at 44 im 5'6 and 140 lb I'm healthy very rarely sick see the dr once in a blue moon when I can get an appointment so I say kids be yourself don't worry if your a little skinny short tall tubby your body will change as you get older just enjoy life

Support groups for kids???

What they need is to be unwrapped from the cotton wool and told to fuck off outside and kick a ball about or climb a tree.

"Just where do three to five year olds learn negative body issues.

Surely the parents should be telling them our beautiful/gorgeous/handsome they are"

I would guess name calling and bullying by other kids

Kids can be really cruel, my daugher has been bullied all through her school life because she looks like a boy, even as young as 5 she would come home upset because the kids kept calling her a boy, she's 15 now and it's no better, infact the bullying is worse than ever because it's progressed from name calling to physical bulling

Most problems children have evolve from school

"Support groups for kids???

What they need is to be unwrapped from the cotton wool and told to fuck off outside and kick a ball about or climb a tree.

"

Body issues are not always weight related

What about none fat kids who have body issues

At age ten I was running round a field with a stick pretending to fight monsters. I had no time to contemplate my image, a single lapse in concentration would have torn the world asunder. I didn't notice my body image until I was older. Its alien to me to hear children talking about adult concepts like that, I have to wonder, they get it from somewhere because children emulate to fit in as a survival method when they develop. The horrors of body image and other modern day ailments are a result of our growing social media culture. If I was a parent I would not want mine exposed to anything that would affect them so negatively.

However not a parent so I really have no idea.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Never going to have this issue with our two I don't think, neither like cakes, fizzy drinks etc. & both are nibblers rather than eaters..

Not sure they weren't mixed up at the hospital tbh

S

my daughter had some issues when she was about 6 or 7, it was really weird hearing my own 'baby' telling me she was fat and being vain. no idea where she got that from but it soon stopped so i reckon the school had also picked up on it and sorted it out somehow. she won't even wear make up like her mates are yet and rebels against 'beauty' ideals (like me), it's kind of funny.

i tell my kids they're clever and kind and whoever gets them will be very lucky to be with them so they should be fussy and not put up with any shit. they're all teens now.

[Removed by poster at 31/08/16 18:48:53]

"Support groups for kids???

Body issues are not always weight related

What about none fat kids who have body issues "

What about them?

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

The courage to change the things I can.

And the wisdom to know the difference.

My two (who are 6 And 4) eat mostly healthy. They have snacks but only in moderation, and they don't have pop. They are VERY active and I take them out on woodland walks etc (so they can burn off energy more than anything!!).

The School they are both in are very strict with snacks. They can only take in fresh fruit and they can only take water in to drink. Their School dinners are also healthy (whereas when I was in School you just had a healthy option).

They also do a lot of outdoor activities and school trips with them.

I think a love of the outdoors is important but they're too young to go out unsupervised so I just go with them on little "adventures" and we take the dog along too, it's great fun.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Body image issues aren't good and it's sad if children have this - as well as adults. Shame about your body is something learned and is different to body self-awareness.

It's healthier for our population to acquire healthy bodies and minds. But definitely not psychological disturbance.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

The poor kids these days with T.V. and internet pushing celebrity and fashion down there throat, there innocence is stolen from them.

"The poor kids these days with T.V. and internet pushing celebrity and fashion down there throat, there innocence is stolen from them.

"

this is why I don't have a TVlicence too

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046fhfj

body issues can arise no matter how healthy you eat - my daughter has crohns disease and is never going to be fat as no cure just has to be managed - which she does quite well - but has had times when shes worried at how skinny she is - has looked very anorexic at times and had to deal with it - so its not always tubby thats the issue

» Add a new message to this topic