FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > interview techniques. (STAR)

interview techniques. (STAR)

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Does anyone have any experience of a STAR style job inter_iew?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't but I'm just in the process of updating my CV and went onto my OU jobs page ..

I came across the STAR technique in relation to answering questions on application forms or during inter_iews ..

It looks like just another way of giving your experience of a particular situation, how you handled it and what the outcome was ...

"I don't but I'm just in the process of updating my CV and went onto my OU jobs page ..

I came across the STAR technique in relation to answering questions on application forms or during inter_iews ..

It looks like just another way of giving your experience of a particular situation, how you handled it and what the outcome was ..."

Situation

Task

Action

Result

I haven't even got experience of a job inter_iew......ever, so that's foreign language to me.

God help me if I ever have to be inter_iewed, I'll be destined for permanent unemployment.

I opened my fridge to notice I run out of ketchup, I never eat my fries without ketchup so I was required to get one from the shop nearby. I book a taxi and it took me to the shop, I purchased the ketchup and took the taxi back home. At the end of the day I ate my fries with ketchup.

"I opened my fridge to notice I run out of ketchup, I never eat my fries without ketchup so I was required to get one from the shop nearby. I book a taxi and it took me to the shop, I purchased the ketchup and took the taxi back home. At the end of the day I ate my fries with ketchup."

Very helpful

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Usually if it is an open question, you give as rounded an answer as possible, though I have never go through a tick box exercises like this. It all depends on the inter_iew style though. I have been to some that have been very easy and others where I have nervous. The latter have all been down to the competency of the inter_iewer.

I remember going through redundancy where at the time I was out performing my manager - he was incredibly nervous inter_iewing me. I kept my job but it was only because HR took over and clarified his inter_iew questions. It's the same story with younger managers, gaining experience in inter_iews. The flow of an inter_iew to draw the best from a candidate is quite essential

"I opened my fridge to notice I run out of ketchup, I never eat my fries without ketchup so I was required to get one from the shop nearby. I book a taxi and it took me to the shop, I purchased the ketchup and took the taxi back home. At the end of the day I ate my fries with ketchup."

Do you not like fruity brown sauce

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

...and remember to mirror the inter_iewer. It endears you to the person apparently.

Yes, all my recent inter_iews have been like that, as an inter_iewer and the person being inter_iewed. I think it can make the answers a bit stilted, but it's an easy enough technique to pick up so you can give the inter_iewer what they want.

"I don't but I'm just in the process of updating my CV and went onto my OU jobs page ..

It looks like just another way of giving your experience of a particular situation, how you handled it and what the outcome was ...

Situation

Task

Action

Result "

Personally I hate these things because they tend to force (what I consider to be) a counterintuitive word in there to make the acronym memorable.

I'd sit there thinking, right what the heck did the 'T' stand for? I thought it was task but that's not very different to the situation. I mean surely the task is the situation... and by this stage the inter_iewer is wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I have lots of experience inter_iewing using that approach.

Just shout if I can help

"I opened my fridge to notice I run out of ketchup, I never eat my fries without ketchup so I was required to get one from the shop nearby. I book a taxi and it took me to the shop, I purchased the ketchup and took the taxi back home. At the end of the day I ate my fries with ketchup.

Do you not like fruity brown sauce "

I don't even know what it is

Situation

Task

Action

Result

Personally I hate these things because they tend to force (what I consider to be) a counterintuitive word in there to make the acronym memorable.

I'd sit there thinking, right what the heck did the 'T' stand for? I thought it was task but that's not very different to the situation. I mean surely the task is the situation... and by this stage the inter_iewer is wondering what the hell is wrong with you. "

I have more experience of them in the context of completing application forms back in the day.. obviously the acronym is a newish one but the technique has always been used in order to show how the applicant applies themselves in certain situations and how they rectified any problems ..

I was once asked what my personality was and give an example - I said I'm very positive thinking and optimistic ... When do I start? She laughed - a lot and said some of the answers she got were so pre - rehearsed and contrived - I also got the job ( probably based on some of the other answes I gave too ) important thing in an inter_iew is not to behave completely differently from how you normally do or you wont come across well. When I inter_iew im not just looking for technical proficiency - im looking to see how that person will affect the balance of the team also. Hope this helps in some way

Thanks for all the answers so far doing well!

"I opened my fridge to notice I run out of ketchup, I never eat my fries without ketchup so I was required to get one from the shop nearby. I book a taxi and it took me to the shop, I purchased the ketchup and took the taxi back home. At the end of the day I ate my fries with ketchup.

Very helpful "

A lady I used to work with went for a promotion inter_iew in an engineering environment. When asked about any problem solving she had done she replied 'well I made a spag bol and it was a bit watery so I added cornstarch.'

Not quite the answer they were expecting (she didn't get the job)

Very helpful

A lady I used to work with went for a promotion inter_iew in an engineering environment. When asked about any problem solving she had done she replied 'well I made a spag bol and it was a bit watery so I added cornstarch.'

Not quite the answer they were expecting (she didn't get the job)"

Very helpful

Not quite the answer they were expecting (she didn't get the job)"

I hate competency inter_iews ... am having to do some at the moment.

Apparently you're best to spend more time when answering focusing on the Action and Result part. If you haven't already go through your job spec and pull out the key competency areas, think through some examples and jot a couple down. If you don't have experience in one of them use a non-work example, or say what your approach would be. Keep them relevant to the job ... not spag bol

Good luck!

Oh, and try not to use the same example more than once so you don't look like a one trick pony.

Clem, yes I have had a lot of inter_iews using this technique. I'm not a big fan of STAR/competency based inter_iews but it's a question of working with the system as they're so common with big corporate/public sector employers.

I can't remember the exact percentages but apparently situation should only be about 10% of your answer. Task and action is the meat in sandwich, result should generally be something positive, even if the question was about something negative.

You seem to be getting a lot of responses but feel free to pm me OP.

Yes I've heard of this technique. I've used it in several inter_iews in the past. It's best done with only one inter_iewer and its magic rests in its ability to confuse and beguile the inter_iewer into thinking you're a super hero.

Submit

Trounce

Attack

Resuscitate!

Situation

Task

Action

Result

I'd sit there thinking, right what the heck did the 'T' stand for? I thought it was task but that's not very different to the situation. I mean surely the task is the situation... and by this stage the inter_iewer is wondering what the hell is wrong with you. "

Agreed, CAR (context, action, result) is far better. Easy to remember and short simple acronym.

In inter_iews, depending on what kind of job you are going for, these are getting more and more common, private sector jobs make it obvious when they are asking in an inter_iew or application that they want you to apply this, civil services roles want you to work out when to use it and grill you on it.

Just had an inter_iew today and had to use it lots.

"Clem, yes I have had a lot of inter_iews using this technique. I'm not a big fan of STAR/competency based inter_iews but it's a question of working with the system as they're so common with big corporate/public sector employers.

I can't remember the exact percentages but apparently situation should only be about 10% of your answer. Task and action is the meat in sandwich, result should generally be something positive, even if the question was about something negative.

You seem to be getting a lot of responses but feel free to pm me OP. "

Agreed and same here.

E.g, your employer might ask you when you displayed team work and leadership at the same time.

Small amount of the time should set the scene, the organisation you are in, the task at hand, problem you faced.

The rest should be showing how as a team you delegated roles and resolved issues within your large group and small group and emphasise where you took charge or had a better idea.

Even if the task was a failure turn t into a positive by highlighting what you did right and where on reflection you and your team went wrong.

"Yes I've heard of this technique. I've used it in several inter_iews in the past. It's best done with only one inter_iewer and its magic rests in its ability to confuse and beguile the inter_iewer into thinking you're a super hero.

Submit

Trounce

Attack

Resuscitate! "

Situation

Task

Action

Result

I'd sit there thinking, right what the heck did the 'T' stand for? I thought it was task but that's not very different to the situation. I mean surely the task is the situation... and by this stage the inter_iewer is wondering what the hell is wrong with you.

Agreed, CAR (context, action, result) is far better. Easy to remember and short simple acronym.

In inter_iews, depending on what kind of job you are going for, these are getting more and more common, private sector jobs make it obvious when they are asking in an inter_iew or application that they want you to apply this, civil services roles want you to work out when to use it and grill you on it.

Just had an inter_iew today and had to use it lots."

Then again, I'm shit at inter_iews. It's not that I don't know what they want me to say, it's that I can't jump through the hoops without rolling my eyes and sigh. If one more dickheads asks me how many piano tuners there are in Chicago, then I will slap their bollocks off.

"

Then again, I'm shit at inter_iews. It's not that I don't know what they want me to say, it's that I can't jump through the hoops without rolling my eyes and sigh. If one more dickheads asks me how many piano tuners there are in Chicago, then I will slap their bollocks off. "

I've fortunately never had questions like that. Group inter_iews are the worst for me. 'you're stuck on a desert island, choose 5 items from the following list to take with you' sort of thing

"

Then again, I'm shit at inter_iews. It's not that I don't know what they want me to say, it's that I can't jump through the hoops without rolling my eyes and sigh. If one more dickheads asks me how many piano tuners there are in Chicago, then I will slap their bollocks off.

I've fortunately never had questions like that. Group inter_iews are the worst for me. 'you're stuck on a desert island, choose 5 items from the following list to take with you' sort of thing "

That's the kind of shit I'm talking about. I just reply with something like "so I guess you aren't up to date on the scientific research that shows the ability to answer such questions has no correlation with subsequent job performance?"

To me, those kind of questions are the sure fire sign of a bullshit corporate culture that is more concerned with looking clever than achieving anything.

"

I've fortunately never had questions like that. Group inter_iews are the worst for me. 'you're stuck on a desert island, choose 5 items from the following list to take with you' sort of thing

That's the kind of shit I'm talking about. I just reply with something like "so I guess you aren't up to date on the scientific research that shows the ability to answer such questions has no correlation with subsequent job performance?"

To me, those kind of questions are the sure fire sign of a bullshit corporate culture that is more concerned with looking clever than achieving anything. "

Yep. I can sort of understand that type of assessment in sales/retail jobs. But I've come across it for tech support and data entry roles. Puzzling.

I blab my way through that STAR crap

"

To me, those kind of questions are the sure fire sign of a bullshit corporate culture that is more concerned with looking clever than achieving anything.

Yep. I can sort of understand that type of assessment in sales/retail jobs. But I've come across it for tech support and data entry roles. Puzzling. "

I can sort of understand them for people who have just left education and don't have any experience to talk about. But at my stage of career I consider them an insult and am not putting on a dog and pony show for anyone.

If they want to ask me what my biggest weakness is, it's that I ain't putting on dog and pony shows for the salary you're offering.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Had one of those on an inter_iew panel I was sitting in on for work. I think I was just filler while the managers divvied it up.

Anyway, this chap is asked a classic stock question, "Can you think of a situation at work that didn't go well and how would you do it differently if you could do it again?" or similar.

So this guy replies:

"I was out on patrol with my platoon. We heard screaming coming from a hut and a woman came running out so we shot her dead. If I could do it again, I would not have shot her."

"Had one of those on an inter_iew panel I was sitting in on for work. I think I was just filler while the managers divvied it up.

Anyway, this chap is asked a classic stock question, "Can you think of a situation at work that didn't go well and how would you do it differently if you could do it again?" or similar.

So this guy replies:

"I was out on patrol with my platoon. We heard screaming coming from a hut and a woman came running out so we shot her dead. If I could do it again, I would not have shot her."

"

You win!

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Had one of those on an inter_iew panel I was sitting in on for work. I think I was just filler while the managers divvied it up.

So this guy replies:

You win! "

The punchline is, he got the job

Just tell them what they want to hear as part of their bullshit inter_iew, just remember if you get the job and are good at it then they'll pile as much on you as possible while all the inept wankers around you get away with doing nothing ...

xx

So this guy replies:

You win! "

Mine would be:

Well, I was piloting this air sea rescue mission over the med in a Herc when I accidentally shut off the engines sending us into a stall. Unfortunately we were too low for me to pull out of it so we crashed into the sea, all lives lost. If I could do it again, I'd have started at a higher altitude so I could recover from the stall and save all our lives. And yes, I'm a ghost! How impressive is that! So bugger the company pension, just lump it all into my salary!

Situation

Task

Action

Result "

Another bullshit acronym for an inter_iew technique that has always been used. but someone wrote a course or a book and cashed in on it.

Certainly remember inter_iews from the 80's that used that technique.

My last inter_iew for promotion in my old company I was asked "how would you feel as a manager if one of your staff went over your head to complain about you" (which is exactly what I had done to my boss.....) I replied "I'd look in the mirror and try and work out how I'd failed as a manager."

And no I didn't.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

"Yes I've heard of this technique. I've used it in several inter_iews in the past. It's best done with only one inter_iewer and its magic rests in its ability to confuse and beguile the inter_iewer into thinking you're a super hero.

Submit

Trounce

Attack

Resuscitate! "

That's brilliant

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

It's too basic for you, OP, but there is a Futurelearn course (free, online) on preparing for inter_iews. It covers STAR and other techniques.

"It's too basic for you, OP, but there is a Futurelearn course (free, online) on preparing for inter_iews. It covers STAR and other techniques.

"

Nothing is to basic for me!

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Personally I watch Barfly before any inter_iew, and try to emulate Micky Rourke's Chinaski/Bukowski inter_iew style.

You either get the job or not, and then have a great excuse to go and get d*unk afterwards either way.

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

You're making a meal of this.

"It's too basic for you, OP, but there is a Futurelearn course (free, online) on preparing for inter_iews. It covers STAR and other techniques.

Nothing is to basic for me! "

I'm inter_iewing all day tomorrow so I might play technique bingo.

Good "STAR" example!

As it's Clem, is there a FISH technique he can use with STAR?

"Personally I watch Barfly before any inter_iew, and try to emulate Micky Rourke's Chinaski/Bukowski inter_iew style.

You either get the job or not, and then have a great excuse to go and get d*unk afterwards either way.

"

Will have to try that one

"As it's Clem, is there a FISH technique he can use with STAR?

"

The rusty version?

"As it's Clem, is there a FISH technique he can use with STAR?

The rusty version?"

Research

Understand

Subject

Test

Yourself

» Add a new message to this topic