FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Respect

Respect

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *-and-K OP   Couple  over a year ago

Back of Beyond

I was visiting my parents today and the ideal of respect hit me. I make no bones about it, I am in my 54th year. And yet I have enough respect NEVER to have uttered anything stronger than a bloody as an expletive in their presence.

Yet you can walk down any street, any public place and I mean any, I have attended a funeral and heard swearing in the congregation.

Is it a sign of modern times that people of today find they cannot express themselves without resorting to obscenities every second word?

Now don't get me wrong, I understand some couples use swearing in the bedroom in the heat of the moment.

But how many of you swear in normal communication without even stopping to think or even care if the other person finds it objectionable?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No I dont swear in everyday conversation and swearing is always forced with me, for effect on a forum occasionally or when im angry. Its always a conscious decision to swear and never just slips out. I find it sad that some people are not even aware of swearing in their everyday language.

a friend of mine taught her daughter to swear when she first started talkin she used to call her dad a wanker her grandad a cunt and so on, she found it so amusing but personally i have never and would never teach my kids to swear theres too much of it about, kids and adults everywhere you go

i brought my son up to respect people, hes 21 and im not saying he doesnt but ve never heard him swear

It makes me cringe in everyday conversation all the spatterings of shits and bloodies and buggers. I can't stand to hear wee toddlers uttering Oh my god either. When I swear I mean to.

I think everyone is so obsessed with expressing their rights to do whatever they want in public they forget the rights of others.

There was a discussion on the radio the other day about two gays kissing in a pub. They were asked to leave because their passionate behaviour was upsetting a customer and when asked to have a little thought they carried on doing whatever they wanted.

I personally don't want to see anyone playing tonsil tennis when I'm out for a meal.

I know a lot of people would say the people upset should 'grow a thicker skin' but the fact is the social guidelines are don't use offensive behaviour in public places and any sensible person will know the definition of offensive behaviour.

We have become liberated in our acceptance of everyones life choices but there is still a generation who cannot change their upbringing or revise their boundaries because they are genuinely embarrassed by open sexuality and who are we to preach modesty to our elders? It's easier to be thoughtful than to harrass any human being over their morality boundaries and just behave in a sensible way in public, in my opinion.

I never ever heard my mom or dad swear, and I would never have dreamed about swearing in their company.

My dad NEVER swore at anytime ever.

He always told us it was the mark of an uneducated man/woman because they didnt know the correct words to use.

As a youngster I was an altar boy in a Catholic Church [stay with it]. Of course the Parish Priest knew me and knew my voice. One time I went to confession, a supposedly anonymous and private sacrament. I trotted out the usual shopping list always omitting 'Taking the Lords Name in vain' one [I'm not daft - the penance for that one was two Hail Marys and The Old Testament].

However, on one occasion I confessed to swearing. The Parish Priest, using my name [which was a shocker in itself] told me it wasn't a sin to swear. He told me it was vulgar, demonstrated a lack of vocabulary, suggested a lack of imagination and a poor education. For these reasons alone he said that he, and not God, who had bigger fish to fry - possibly five of them , was extremely disappointed in me. He said my parents had made sacrifices to make sure I'd gone to a good school, with good teachers and good discipline. He said my parents would be bitterly disappointed if they knew.

This had a lasting, salutary effect on me. I use 'industrial' language sometimes in work but ever since that confession I try to refrain in mixed company and in public.

Phew. Got there in the end. By the way I got ten Hail Marys, ten 'Our Fathers' and the full Bible for penance

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

My parents never swore in front of us and I wouldn't have dreamt of swearing in front of them when they were alive.

I don't feel the need to swear, but is it the era we were all born in? as the ones who have answered seem to be of the same sort of age.

Actually it was two fishes and five loaves. Doh!!! Bad Catholic. I will accept whatever penance you decide

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Swearing in front of someone and telling the to go fk themselves is 2 totally diff things!!

I swear in front of my parents.....doesnt mean I have no respect for them!!

There is only ONE word I will never use, wont even type it....and I loathe hearing it or reading it!

"My dad NEVER swore at anytime ever.

He always told us it was the mark of an uneducated man/woman because they didnt know the correct words to use. "

My parents never swore either. We've never sworn in front of our kids and our kids have never sworn in front of us.

I agree with your dad!

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

would never have sworn infront of my parents. i do swear at times but only if im frustrated or mad at something/someone. neither of my daughters would swear infront of us and i hope they dont use foul language when we are not around

» Add a new message to this topic