FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > ahhh grockle season

ahhh grockle season

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

we all love to hate them

what do you find most frustrating about them?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

that i havnt got 1 now

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Hey I'm a grockle in your area next weekend lol

"Hey I'm a grockle in your area next weekend lol"

do you own a caravan? do you drive at 20mph even in a 40 zone? will you walk stupidly slow stopping every 5 steps to take pictures?

if so,, please cancel your weekend lol

By *orestersCouple  over a year ago

The Forest

We live in the New Forest so we get a lot of aimlessly-wandering grockles. I think the most frustrating thing is driving behind them when they're sight-seeing from their Volvos and veering all over the road.

But all grockles are welcome to view the wonderful part of the world I'm lucky enough to live in (the new foals are being born at the moment, so even lovelier than usual).

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

shoot em all

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I think what is more annoying is people who live in places that others want to visit, complain that the grockels will be visiting and spending money in the area.

Annoying as f*** as many of them can be, especially on single track roads with passing places - the hint is in the name - there's a lot of local economies wouldn't survive without them.

"I think what is more annoying is people who live in places that others want to visit, complain that the grockels will be visiting and spending money in the area.

"

;) still you have to admit ruggers that if your stuck behind a caravan its frustrating,, and a 10min journey now takes 15mins with a build up of traffic

By *eaboMan  over a year ago

marden

b'aint nuthin wrong with grockles, its them bliddy emmets you gotta watch out for my lover.

We lurve them round these Parts fresh blood and a change from sheep.

"Hey I'm a grockle in your area next weekend lol

do you own a caravan? do you drive at 20mph even in a 40 zone? will you walk stupidly slow stopping every 5 steps to take pictures?

if so,, please cancel your weekend lol "

I wouldn't be seen dead in a caravan, I drive a sensible speeds and I'm not so old that I walk slowly anywhere.

And agree if it wasn't for Grockles where the hell would the money from the area come from.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I think what is more annoying is people who live in places that others want to visit, complain that the grockels will be visiting and spending money in the area.

;) still you have to admit ruggers that if your stuck behind a caravan its frustrating,, and a 10min journey now takes 15mins with a build up of traffic"

Not when I am on me hols no , as we are not in a rush

It must be frustrating if you are trying to get to work or something yeah, especially the little roads near you....but, I suppose when the season starts and you know the visitors are going to be about, you must get used to having to leave earlier just in case?

"Annoying as f*** as many of them can be, especially on single track roads with passing places - the hint is in the name - there's a lot of local economies wouldn't survive without them."

or perhaps our local economies would if there were shops suitable for local people..

being a local there are only so many bucket and spades i can own.. and the amount of art galleries is ridiculous lol

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Grockle? Is that some made up word from down south then?

;) still you have to admit ruggers that if your stuck behind a caravan its frustrating,, and a 10min journey now takes 15mins with a build up of traffic

Not when I am on me hols no , as we are not in a rush

It must be frustrating if you are trying to get to work or something yeah, especially the little roads near you....but, I suppose when the season starts and you know the visitors are going to be about, you must get used to having to leave earlier just in case?"

yeah always plan ahead and leave in plenty of time. I used to be a care worker in the community and we weren't given 'travelling time' if we were allocated 30mins with a client we would sadly have to include the time in that period.. made it extremely frustrating come summertime as certain clients need that full time.

The Forest

"Grockle? Is that some made up word from down south then? "

Yes it be, moi luvver

Forum Mod

O o O oo

So would the locals rather have no visitors?

"Grockle? Is that some made up word from down south then? "

dont have a clue where it came from.. my explanation is... if you dont know what it means then you know your one

of course it makes more sense when your saying it face to face with someone lol

just a word we use for 'holiday maker'

"So would the locals rather have no visitors?"

as someone who doesn't own a business id say yeah lol

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"So would the locals rather have no visitors?

as someone who doesn't own a business id say yeah lol"

Ah you see, thats the difference isn't it

When we were there last year the business's were heaving, so I am guessing they won't be complaining

"So would the locals rather have no visitors?

as someone who doesn't own a business id say yeah lol

Ah you see, thats the difference isn't it

When we were there last year the business's were heaving, so I am guessing they won't be complaining "

i know, lol...

i guess the eye candy is a welcome sight on the beaches.

you been down this neck of the woods ruggers?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Yeah was there last year, we visited all around there , it is a gorgeous place. My favourite was Dartmouth, went in one way, got on a car ferry to cross the river and went out the other way.

"Yeah was there last year, we visited all around there , it is a gorgeous place. My favourite was Dartmouth, went in one way, got on a car ferry to cross the river and went out the other way. "

Thats where i live :D

not being a local you wouldnt have realised that during the summer season they put the prices up from £3.50 for a ferry crossing to £4.50.. tight bar stewards lol

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Yeah was there last year, we visited all around there , it is a gorgeous place. My favourite was Dartmouth, went in one way, got on a car ferry to cross the river and went out the other way.

not being a local you wouldnt have realised that during the summer season they put the prices up from £3.50 for a ferry crossing to £4.50.. tight bar stewards lol"

Ah I think that happens everywhere.

You live in a gorgeous place !!We may have walked past each other

"Yeah was there last year, we visited all around there , it is a gorgeous place. My favourite was Dartmouth, went in one way, got on a car ferry to cross the river and went out the other way.

not being a local you wouldnt have realised that during the summer season they put the prices up from £3.50 for a ferry crossing to £4.50.. tight bar stewards lol

Ah I think that happens everywhere.

You live in a gorgeous place !!We may have walked past each other "

o0o0o spooky when you think of it like that.. its lush down this way. Since youve been down this way you'll know that there is only 2 ways into Dartmouth (ferry or road to totnes) We get really long ferry queues or caught behind 3 caravans on that really time consuming windy road with hardly no places to over take and its a right pain in the backside.. to get to anywhere round here youve gotta go via totnes lol

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Yeah, not the greatest of roads, BUT living in towns we get the same when the kids are at school and the 4 X 4's are going to picki up their little darlings instead of walking the quarter of a mile....or because we don't live too far away from Pride park, the build up of traffic is huge on match days so we either avoid those times or know we are going to get stuck for ever and the OH is going to go blue in the face with rage haha ( he hates queues )

Well is my first time down there next weekend and really looking forward

"Annoying as f*** as many of them can be, especially on single track roads with passing places - the hint is in the name - there's a lot of local economies wouldn't survive without them.

or perhaps our local economies would if there were shops suitable for local people..

being a local there are only so many bucket and spades i can own.. and the amount of art galleries is ridiculous lol

"

You see the same problems up and down the west coast of Scotland but it's often the influx of tourist money between Easter and the September weekend that makes it possible for the genuinely local shops and pubs to survive the rest of the year.

Swinging Grockles might be different...lol

liven up the campsites with a few meets...bit like dogging maybe but with a bit more comfort!...xxx

The Forest

"Well is my first time down there next weekend and really looking forward"

It's a lovely area - not as nice as the New Forest though

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It is gorgeous, hopefully you will get the weather. Which part are you staying or can't you say?

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Swinging Grockles might be different...lol

liven up the campsites with a few meets...bit like dogging maybe but with a bit more comfort!...xxx

"

lol sounds fun.

"Well is my first time down there next weekend and really looking forward

It is gorgeous, hopefully you will get the weather. Which part are you staying or can't you say?"

Am using Torquay as the base

It's a lovely area - not as nice as the New Forest though "

I've only driven through the New Forest but agree it does look a beautiful area.

I think this year will be UK based rather than abroad

ah torquay is ace.. check out cockington (thats not a typo either) its like a whole different world.. stunning.

It's not just in rural areas either..try walking down Regent St on a saturday afternoon. A long succession of foreigners standing still looking at the sky for some reason

They do bring in a huge amount of money tho

The Forest

It's a lovely area - not as nice as the New Forest though

I've only driven through the New Forest but agree it does look a beautiful area.

I think this year will be UK based rather than abroad"

The foals and calves are all being born at this time of year - we have wall-to-wall cuteness going on

"we all love to hate them

"

I had to google that!

Well, I learn something new everyday here!

I had to google that!

Well, I learn something new everyday here! "

lol sorry sassy..'summer visitors' or 'tourists'

By *razydriver8Couple  over a year ago

plymouth

easter weekend. and the roads down yer will be full of them bloody hemits with them there caravans..

add to that the tracteers and driving to work will be a bloody nightmare..

* living in devon, working in cornwall...*

"ah torquay is ace.. check out cockington (thats not a typo either) its like a whole different world.. stunning."

There are so many places I want to go to am sure a long weekend will not be long enough

I had to google that!

Well, I learn something new everyday here!

lol sorry sassy..'summer visitors' or 'tourists' "

I know that now!

The Forest

Around these here parts, a caravan is known as a "grockle box"

"Around these here parts, a caravan is known as a "grockle box" "

A box of Grockles ripe for the picking!...lol...

Mwah ha hah

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Actually we don't all love to hate them, to be honest you are in a particular minority of the people who live in Dartmouth and the surrounding area....a small section who are living in some idealistic dream world.

Most Dartmouth residents are in employment, you yourself don't work....if you did work you would realise that the local economy and job market relies greatly on tourism....only the ignorant still call visitors grockles around South Devon because those that are clued up and living in the real world realise that without tourism, and these 'grockles' bring hundreds of millions of pounds into the area every year, there would be enormous unemployment.

Maybe if you worked, you would see things differently, because the majority of people living in South Devon don't have the luxury of sitting at home all day complaining about the very thing that keeps a great deal of local people in work....and subsequently living in the real world.

So don't worry too much about sitting behind the caravans in your car, because you are probably not in a hurry to get anywhere fast....your day is your own to do as you please after all.

"Actually we don't all love to hate them, to be honest you are in a particular minority of the people who live in Dartmouth and the surrounding area....a small section who are living in some idealistic dream world.

Most Dartmouth residents are in employment, you yourself don't work....if you did work you would realise that the local economy and job market relies greatly on tourism....only the ignorant still call visitors grockles around South Devon because those that are clued up and living in the real world realise that without tourism, and these 'grockles' bring hundreds of millions of pounds into the area every year, there would be enormous unemployment.

Maybe if you worked, you would see things differently, because the majority of people living in South Devon don't have the luxury of sitting at home all day complaining about the very thing that keeps a great deal of local people in work....and subsequently living in the real world.

So don't worry too much about sitting behind the caravans in your car, because you are probably not in a hurry to get anywhere fast....your day is your own to do as you please after all.

"

First of all welcome back Jane i thought you had left :D

Secondly when i did work my job was a very important one and i worked in the community looking after the elderly, so the traffic did in fact cause me a great deal of inconvenience. Working for a company who only allow time to look after clients in their homes and do not pay for travelling time to and from their homes.. less time spent on the road meant quality care with the patients. You on the other hand work in a chocolate shop somewhere and don't have to drive all over the South Hams on a daily basis.

Your correct I am a parent and not working, still doesn't change my opinion though. I don't own a business and i said above that if i did i am more than sure id appriciate them more.

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

I have allways lived in devon including dartmouth allways worked and they annoy me but no more than those people who have moved here to be in gods waiting room for their retirement

Torquay

I don't leave until the end of the week....I did say

If you don't have the sense to realise that the town you live in relies on tourism to survive then you are not living in the real world, most of the shops in your town are only able to trade because of the visitors and the money they inject into the area.

Whether you realise this or not, you are yourself subsidised by the 'Grockle' money....the life you live is being bankrolled by that same money.

IM SURROUNDED BY GROCKLES ALL SUMMER BUT ACTULLY I LOVE IT allways nice to share living in a lovley place with people passing thru who love the view and are so jealous cos i live here !!!.

"I don't leave until the end of the week....I did say

If you don't have the sense to realise that the town you live in relies on tourism to survive then you are not living in the real world, most of the shops in your town are only able to trade because of the visitors and the money they inject into the area.

Whether you realise this or not, you are yourself subsidised by the 'Grockle' money....the life you live is being bankrolled by that same money.

"

If someone is working in a tourist area that might be true but benefit bums get it whatever.

By *U1966Man  over a year ago

Devon

A lot of resentment is for those with second homes here which mean the locals have been priced out of the housing market and the endless coaches of oaps dropped off in devon towns to shuffle around for hours

We are allways happy to see families and younger people come down and enjoy this part of the country i was privileged to be born in

The first time I heard the term Grockle used was when I saw the 1964 Oliver Reed film The System on TV when I was a youth.

Living in a seaside resort we adopted it ourselves, I'd forgotten about it until now though. R

XX

well fair play to those who don't find them frustrating..

Im just saying that i do

"well fair play to those who don't find them frustrating..

Im just saying that i do "

You stick to your guns. I am the same way with fat birds. Its Britain so you have the right to choose.

By *andy muncherMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

"The first time I heard the term Grockle used was when I saw the 1964 Oliver Reed film The System on TV when I was a youth.

Living in a seaside resort we adopted it ourselves, I'd forgotten about it until now though. R

XX"

nice place sometimes went there instead skeg best of both worlds shopping and the seaside

Torquay

"A lot of resentment is for those with second homes here which mean the locals have been priced out of the housing market and the endless coaches of oaps dropped off in devon towns to shuffle around for hours

We are allways happy to see families and younger people come down and enjoy this part of the country i was privileged to be born in "

The people that own second homes, or holiday homes, in Devon are almost all British.....and as they are British citizens they have every right to move around these isles with freedom to do so.

They also have every right to spend their earnings as they see fit, if that means buying a holiday retreat then so be it....they have as much right as you and I to buy any home on the open market.....that is what you get in a free society.

You can't live in a free society, in a capitalist society, without freedom of movement and the choice to buy what you can afford in an open market.

You earn your money....you get the right to spend it as you see fit.

By *edhotminxWoman  over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

I hope you have a lovely time when you come down next weekend. There are so many beautiful places to visit here in Devon, but one I would recommend is to go for a drive over Dartmoor. We too have ponies with foals, granite tors to climb and the views are spectacular.

I hope you have a lovely time when you come down next weekend. There are so many beautiful places to visit here in Devon, but one I would recommend is to go for a drive over Dartmoor. We too have ponies with foals, granite tors to climb and the views are spectacular."

Ive never been to Dartmoor..

By *edhotminxWoman  over a year ago

Turn left at the Singing Ringing Tree

"Ive never been to Dartmoor.. "

lol, and it's on your doorstep too. It's really beautiful. Lovely spots for picnics, the ponies wander around and you can get quite close to them. You might need to mutter 'mint sauce' at the sheep though, as those buggers just lie in the middle of the road and aren't moving for anyone!

"A lot of resentment is for those with second homes here which mean the locals have been priced out of the housing market and the endless coaches of oaps dropped off in devon towns to shuffle around for hours

We are allways happy to see families and younger people come down and enjoy this part of the country i was privileged to be born in

The people that own second homes, or holiday homes, in Devon are almost all British.....and as they are British citizens they have every right to move around these isles with freedom to do so.

They also have every right to spend their earnings as they see fit, if that means buying a holiday retreat then so be it....they have as much right as you and I to buy any home on the open market.....that is what you get in a free society.

You can't live in a free society, in a capitalist society, without freedom of movement and the choice to buy what you can afford in an open market.

You earn your money....you get the right to spend it as you see fit."

That's a good point actually. Isn't it far better people but second homes in the UK rather than abroad taking money out of the UK rather than supporting it. If house prices are high then the sensible thing is to get an education and skills that will let you get a better paid job. The people with second housed did that and if they can locals can too.

"Ive never been to Dartmoor..

lol, and it's on your doorstep too. It's really beautiful. Lovely spots for picnics, the ponies wander around and you can get quite close to them. You might need to mutter 'mint sauce' at the sheep though, as those buggers just lie in the middle of the road and aren't moving for anyone!

"

hahaha @ 'mint sauce'

my bubba is obsessed with sheep and calls them 'timmy' after timmy time a show on cbeebies.. lol

" ........

That's a good point actually. Isn't it far better people but second homes in the UK rather than abroad taking money out of the UK rather than supporting it. If house prices are high then the sensible thing is to get an education and skills that will let you get a better paid job. The people with second housed did that and if they can locals can too. "

My recollection of Dartmouth is from many years ago but it seemed, even then, that it was a pretty expensive place to buy a home.

A glance at one of the house price guide webpages suggests the average price is £478,101.

Even with a good education and well paid job, that sorta money is outwith the reach of many folk.

"

You earn your money....you get the right to spend it as you see fit."

I take your point but it seems just a wee bit wrong that some folks have two (or more houses) when many others don't have one.

Torquay

To be fair that is the larger homes in the town, my friend recently brought a three bed semi in Dartmouth for around the £320k mark, which is around 20% above the average for Torbay which is only a few miles away.

But then again the houses in Dartmouth old town have been around 30%-40% above the national average for years now, probably since the early 80's.

There is very little social housing in the area, but that is to be said for much of the coastal towns in Devon (Plymouth excluded).

Devon and Cornwall are highly dependent on Tourism, the only other major growth area is retirement homes and the staff they employ.

Very little manufacturing down here and agriculture/farming is a low employment category/

I hope you have a lovely time when you come down next weekend. There are so many beautiful places to visit here in Devon, but one I would recommend is to go for a drive over Dartmoor. We too have ponies with foals, granite tors to climb and the views are spectacular."

Thanks and will be sure to do that

Torquay

"

I take your point but it seems just a wee bit wrong that some folks have two (or more houses) when many others don't have one."

But then again no-one in the UK has a god given right to own their own home, that is a privilage given to those that are lucky enough to earn enough money to pay for a home purchase.

Dartmouth and most of the South Hams never did have a large number of local authority houses, so the 'Right to Buy' had little impact upon the area.

Housing development down here has fallen behind the rising population we have in the area because of the large proportion of green belt we have.

"To be fair that is the larger homes in the town, my friend recently brought a three bed semi in Dartmouth for around the £320k mark, which is around 20% above the average for Torbay which is only a few miles away.

But then again the houses in Dartmouth old town have been around 30%-40% above the national average for years now, probably since the early 80's.

There is very little social housing in the area, but that is to be said for much of the coastal towns in Devon (Plymouth excluded).

Devon and Cornwall are highly dependent on Tourism, the only other major growth area is retirement homes and the staff they employ.

Very little manufacturing down here and agriculture/farming is a low employment category/

"

You may very well be correct about the figure I mention being for larger houses but it's listed as being the average for the houses ON SALE - so it may well be that it's the larger houses that are for sale.

Just going back a few posts. I was a bit surprised at your claim about "Most Dartmouth residents are in employment". That's not my recollection either but I clearly wouldn't contradict you on the basis of my 30 year old recall.

I'd have suggested the majority of them are retired and your comments about lack of employment would seem to bear that out.

"

I take your point but it seems just a wee bit wrong that some folks have two (or more houses) when many others don't have one.

But then again no-one in the UK has a god given right to own their own home, that is a privilage given to those that are lucky enough to earn enough money to pay for a home purchase.

Dartmouth and most of the South Hams never did have a large number of local authority houses, so the 'Right to Buy' had little impact upon the area.

Housing development down here has fallen behind the rising population we have in the area because of the large proportion of green belt we have.

"

I'm not asking that anyone be given the right, by anyone, to OWN a house - just that there should be sufficient supply, and that might include building on green belt, to satisfy demand for residential tenure of all sorts.

Torquay

Yeah, should have said those of an employable age are mainly in employment.

Funnily enough the area does buck the trend on youth unemployment, but that is almost entirely down to the leisure and tourism industries....which is my main reason for welcoming 'Grockles' (hate that word) into the area in their droves.

We have to play to our strengths, we are never going to enjoy manufacturing investment, for this region tourism is King!

Could be worse 'maid'. You'm could be overrun with emmets

PS I'm half Cornish [Kernowek]. Before 'ee asks, it's the bottom half my anzum

"Yeah, should have said those of an employable age are mainly in employment.

............... "

That'll be everyone from 9-90 in Cameron's world

Torquay

The biggest problem with building development in South Devon is that much of our area is a National Park (Dartmoor), and no-one would ever want to see further encroachment into that area.

Dairy farming also takes up considerable land down here, and although it is a minor employment per acre count it is also untouchable land.....and for good reason.

The Two cities in South Devon offer little accommodation growth for young local people because of the demand for University housing, which earns landlords considerably more per property.

But that is the same for many coastal and rural areas in the UK I should imagine.....

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

I love being a Grockle, many happy days spent baiting the inbreds about their webbed feet and sister-fucking.

"I love being a Grockle, many happy days spent baiting the inbreds about their webbed feet and sister-fucking."

wtf is a grockle?!

...no, i'm not googling it

fell for that before

By *heWolfMan  over a year ago

warwickshire

(cough) Blue Waffle anyone?

"(cough) Blue Waffle anyone?"

exactly! that one!!

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Petition the camp sites to close! They are the real bastards in all of this…. encouraging tourism, fuckers! People wouldn’t bring caravans if there was no place to park it. Turn the camp sites into bee sanctuaries and build giant wickerman pyres as a warning to those who may dare to venture to regions they have no right to visit.

By *reshforu2Couple  over a year ago

Exeter

Don't forget to eat the view! Us farmers have made and maintained the view to make it what it is today! So enjoy and eat up!!

I hope you have a lovely time when you come down next weekend. There are so many beautiful places to visit here in Devon, but one I would recommend is to go for a drive over Dartmoor. We too have ponies with foals, granite tors to climb and the views are spectacular.

Don't forget to eat the view! Us farmers have made and maintained the view to make it what it is today! So enjoy and eat up!!

"

I love the views.. i know how lucky i am to live in Devon

"The biggest problem with building development in South Devon is that much of our area is a National Park (Dartmoor), and no-one would ever want to see further encroachment into that area.

Dairy farming also takes up considerable land down here, and although it is a minor employment per acre count it is also untouchable land.....and for good reason.

"

Maybe it's time that mindset changed. Absolute protection of green belt and the sanctity of National Parks may no longer be acceptable.

Releasing even just 1% (in the case of Dartmoor that's c3.6 square miles) would make an enormous difference to the potential for the area and do absolutely no damage to the 'pull' of the Park.

Repeat that up and down the country and the benefit is obvious.

» Add a new message to this topic