FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Grand National

Grand National

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

following on from the earlier thread they have just been doing a poll on This Morning about the Grand National being banned and the majoraty of people who voted where for it being banned seems im not alone in thinking its cruel

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

It was pretty gruesome watching the runners go by the dead horses.

I still think we should have the Grand National but for a long time now I have been advocator of bouncey castles after each jump. Things would be a lot safer and much funnier.

"It was pretty gruesome watching the runners go by the dead horses.

I still think we should have the Grand National but for a long time now I have been advocator of bouncey castles after each jump. Things would be a lot safer and much funnier."

I never watch it lol ive got a vision of a load of race horses bouncing over the bouncy castles haha

By *mumaWoman  over a year ago

Livingston

oooh, now have scarey vision of funks, bananas, horses and my bouncy bits, erm castles x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Not sure why the horses have to jump so big and thay are wide too ....... theres just no need for it .

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

God I hope they don't ban it... it was an excellent excuse to have a party and a BBQ.

Even though I didn't win on the party sweapstake or on the bets placed at the bookies.... I still feel like a winner after a cracking weekend.

Just think when you get alot of horses jumping together and going fast its very very dangerous ... there no jumping order its whos to the fences first ...why i feel thay should make smaller jumps for saftey of rider and horse ... not ban the race.

I enjoy the horse racing and have for 20 0dd years. Seeing them horses having to be put down has taken the shine off what i used to really enjoy,had the winner but it has changed my views after Saturday

Keep it

By *ovelyjubbliesCouple  over a year ago

london

After watching 4 horses die one year I have not bet on it since. Is a beautiful animal's life worth it?

"I enjoy the horse racing and have for 20 0dd years. Seeing them horses having to be put down has taken the shine off what i used to really enjoy,had the winner but it has changed my views after Saturday "
would you still feel like that if jumps not so big ?? i have had horses most my life we show and jump working hunters all over uk .... also know people who own races horses ... some horses love to jump and race ... its just when alot together things go wronge at times .. like sat .. thay dont stand a hope in hell if go down and there alot together .

bouncey castles,eh?what would be funny about seeing a horse,jump an inflatable,land on the other side,i presume onto another inflatable,bounce of it,land n break its neck?

With all due respescts.. its a horse.

We personally have no connections to the horses involved. Sure its a tradgedy for the trainers, jockeys and owners who have invested time and money etc.. but they know the risks when they enter these massive events. They only see the high prize of 'Grand National Winner'

I honestly dont mean to sound like a bitch, but thats just my opinion. Its a tradition and before long we wont have any left.

"they have just been doing a poll on This Morning about the Grand National being banned and the majoraty of people who voted where for it being banned seems im not alone in thinking its cruel "

if they done a poll on swinging clubs on This Morning i cant help but wonder if the majority of people would be against that too

" Just think when you get alot of horses jumping together and going fast its very very dangerous ... there no jumping order its whos to the fences first ...why i feel thay should make smaller jumps for saftey of rider and horse ... not ban the race."

if they make the fences smaller then the horses will be able to go faster as they go over the fence..........and thats more dangerous for everyone

"they have just been doing a poll on This Morning about the Grand National being banned and the majoraty of people who voted where for it being banned seems im not alone in thinking its cruel

if they done a poll on swinging clubs on This Morning i cant help but wonder if the majority of people would be against that too "

yes i am sure thay would be x

in the night garden

"bouncey castles,eh?what would be funny about seeing a horse,jump an inflatable,land on the other side,i presume onto another inflatable,bounce of it,land n break its neck?"

By *illynmintCouple  over a year ago

liverpool

If you go down the banning route for everything that causes an upset, say the national here or head coverings in France !! Then what !! Ban everything , Inc swinging , as some feel that swinging is wrong.

It's great to live in a 'free society' .. But just be careful what you wish for !

By *horacleCouple  over a year ago

Harwich

I think it is barbaric to have animals die for our entertainment and sport.

There is a million and one ways for humans to get their rocks off, dont see why an animal should have to die for it.

Isnt that why they banned fox hunting/bear bating/dog fighting?!?!?!

By *nvictusMan  over a year ago

Beeston

"If you go down the banning route for everything that causes an upset, say the national here or head coverings in France !! Then what !! Ban everything , Inc swinging , as some feel that swinging is wrong.

It's great to live in a 'free society' .. But just be careful what you wish for !"

Swinging is wrong...its why I like it!

"With all due respescts.. its a horse.

We personally have no connections to the horses involved. Sure its a tradgedy for the trainers, jockeys and owners who have invested time and money etc.. but they know the risks when they enter these massive events. They only see the high prize of 'Grand National Winner'

"

yes thats right,its a horse,a living breathing creature,with a brain,with feelings.

i personally am neither for nor against horse racing,but i think the horses are ,and will continue to be,treated as humanely as possible.

Granted it's cruel, however it's a massive industry, and as we know cash is king.

"Granted it's cruel, however it's a massive industry, and as we know cash is king."
your right thats why thay have to look at the saftey of horse and rider .... and not the money each time this race is run we get somthing like this.I hope like eventing thay look at the way the jumps are made and size ... and not have loads of horses running who cant handle it .... as thats what a danger too .. Make it smaller so thay dont run into each other if thay come off ..

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

I have always watched the National although I am not into horse racing.

Now I know there has been deaths in horse racing before now, but to get a ful view of it while the race is still running it has changed my view. I know someone said " but it is only a horse" but it is a beautiful animal that has died for sport.

TBH though I think the reason we don't normally see the dead animals on the course is because if a horse goes down, they used to have a 4 minute window to remove the horse with a whinch and stuck on the back of a truck and in Aintrees wisdom they decided to make it the new way of going around the fences if there is a dead horse in the way or a vet is working on a horse. I think that has just made people more aware that there is beautiful animals dieing at races.

To warrant it banned? I am not so sure, but if they could make it safer it might help..be that the size of the jumps or the drops beyond them/ softening hard ground etc.

But I have to be honest, I can't see me watching it again, as I know they are "only animals" but it is upsetting to watch them die.

I know there will be some who say they are bred for racing and their owners look after them while they are racing but they are also dumped when their racing days are over, so the owners don't care that much.

So the crux of Saturday was.......run and jump over huge fences in heat on hard ground, if you don't die jumping one of the fences, you will be whipped to death and become dehydrated , so much so that you can't even have your victory parade.

I bet if the horses could speak they would be saying, sod that for a lark, you do it.

Fewer horses, smaller jumps and a shorter race.

I haven't watched it or bet on it for years now. I cannot support the way in which these beautiful athletes of the animal world die.

Others can argue that runners in the London marathon have died, but they don't have riders on their backs flogging them.

Horses are compliant animals who bond with their riders and will do their utmost for them, but I cannot condone such an abuse of trust.

Yes it's one of those debates that will divide opion.It's like boxing another dangerous sport.

"Fewer horses, smaller jumps and a shorter race.

I haven't watched it or bet on it for years now. I cannot support the way in which these beautiful athletes of the animal world die.

Others can argue that runners in the London marathon have died, but they don't have riders on their backs flogging them.

Horses are compliant animals who bond with their riders and will do their utmost for them, but I cannot condone such an abuse of trust. "

Totaly agree with that

in the night garden

Couple of thoughts I've had that could make The Nash safer.

1. Get rid of the horses altogether and use pogo sticks.

2. Get rid of horses altogether and make jockeys run around clacking two half coconut shells together.

This is either/or as the combination of both could result in further deaths.

Thay can be find for whipping the horses .. and bandfrom raceing alot hit there leg and horse think thay will get it too .... its not right i know ... if thay love there job thay dont need that the whip.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Don't be silly Funky...where will the jockeys put their nuts when they have to climb up the step ladder to over the fence?

in the night garden

"Don't be silly Funky...where will the jockeys put their nuts when they have to climb up the step ladder to over the fence? "

Valid point! Back to the drawing board.

people big money for there horse's so its up to them what race's they run them in.

"people big money for there horse's so its up to them what race's they run them in."
In this day and age horses have rights like people .... thay can own them pay big money race them but if thay dont look after then RSPCA AND ILPH be down on them x and others too.

Does anyone here actually know how many of these horses per year are killed because of going lame too often in training? Or because they just turn out to be naff racers? Or because they pick up injuries in other races? Or because the syndicate can't afford the vet's bill? Or because they just have no breeding value?

in the night garden

"Does anyone here actually know how many of these horses per year are killed because of going lame too often in training? Or because they just turn out to be naff racers? Or because they pick up injuries in other races? Or because the syndicate can't afford the vet's bill? Or because they just have no breeding value?"

More than 12?

This is hard.

"This is hard."

Still?

in the night garden

"This is hard.

Still? "

Always for you babe x

"Does anyone here actually know how many of these horses per year are killed because of going lame too often in training? Or because they just turn out to be naff racers? Or because they pick up injuries in other races? Or because the syndicate can't afford the vet's bill? Or because they just have no breeding value?"

i've no idea but i'm sure its far too many. Still think the grand national should keep going though

"This is hard.

Still?

Always for you babe x"

I'm impressed

We get alot of ex race horses starting a new life showing ... eventing and just hacking out .. thay have to be schooled again .... and not go from a stand still into a gallop, Its all very diffrent for them.. Some have made really good show and event horses.

"Don't be silly Funky...where will the jockeys put their nuts when they have to climb up the step ladder to over the fence?

Valid point! Back to the drawing board. "

Easy! They have their nuts on a piece of string threaded through their sleeves by their mums before they start !!

Course their mums dress them......they wear silks dont they ! fnarrrr men in sil.......oooooooo

on the radio today there was a mum who's daughter who had been walking on the pavement with friends,

when a guy on a bike came racing towards them on the pavement,he shouted GET OUTA THE WAY AS I AM NOT STOPPING.....

he rode head first into the womans daughter nocked her flying and she smashed the back of her head...

she died 6 days later.

the cyclist was given a £2200.00 fine

should we ban all cyclists !!!!

not making a judgement here just seemed rather sad as well....

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Thats a silly comparison.

Motor racing deaths ?

Mountaineering deaths ?

Swimming deaths.

Ski - ing , motorbikes, toboggan , potholing ?

Who cares?

Spare me the humans have the choice argument.

Surely it's the death that matters.

If we start banning outright there will be no point to anything.

Oi ...... you could be electrocuted using that computer!

Ban it !

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

yes its sad that 2 horses died but that could happen anywhere

my cousin keeps her horse at a yard where one of the horses got its hoof caught in a pot hole and as it walked along it pulled its foot off should that yard be banned from stabling horses?

when i was young i used to help out at the local yard in the village when one of the horses broke its leg in the field and it had to be euthanised

maybe the tv people could have been told to avoid filming over the jumps where the fallen horses were to avoid upsetting viewers

i agree with Jo though, maybe of they lowered the height of the jumps to make it safer that would stop horses being killed?

on another note, a friend of mine was reading about the torment AP McCoy and other jockeys put themselves through just to be able to race - its amazing!

"Thats a silly comparison.

"

wasn't a comparison but if you want to compare it kool..... just an observation on my part

By *ixplayMan  over a year ago

tamworth & Edinburgh

ive signed many a petition & campained at aintree a few times to get it banned, we managed to get a few people to turn away but of course money won as always.

its the cruelist horse race on the planet, the only real winners are the bookies & by far the biggest losers are the horses

I feel you judge a society by how it treats the vulnerable.

And I class animals amongst the vulnerable. The very least that should be done is to make the Grand National one lap and half the size and number of fences.

Personally I'd like to see all horse racing banned. Look after the animals.

By *vor Bigun 69!Man  over a year ago

Barnsley

The grand national is a british institution and granted its sad when horses die, but the race isnt cruel. The deaths this year were prob partly due to the firm ground. Horses love to jump, cos if they didnt then they wudnt jump not matter how much a jockey would try. Too many people jump on the animal cruelty bandwagon, and at end of the day the racing industry creates several thousand jobs within the uk. Leave the national alone - its a splendid spectacle!!

Ivor- how do you know that horses "love to jump"? Have you spoken to many recently while sharing a carrot and cup of camomile tea with em?

Something being a great British tradition hardly makes it right or worth saving. I can think of a few so-called traditions that thankfully aren't around any more.

evesham

gonna address a few posts here cos cant be bothered to post lots of times lol

1,i think that it is all to easy to apply human emotions to animals at times.

animals have basic needs, food, shelter, etc. they dont need to feel valued etc as humans do because they cant rationalise like we can.

2, Racing horses are probably THE most looked after animals (apart from celed chihuahas or however you spell it lol) they are fed the best food, given the best stables and grazing, exercised daily, have only the best vets to look after them.

3, although domesticated horses remain a wild animal and anyone who has been on the business end of a hind hoof can tell you if they dont like something they will let you know!!

yes the riders use whips ut that is strictly regulated now and jockeys can and will be reprimanded and banned for over use of the whip.

believe it or not it is in the best interests of all involved in any animal sport for them to look after the animals involved other wise they would not rake in the big bucks!!!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

2, Racing horses are probably THE most looked after animals (apart from celed chihuahas or however you spell it lol) they are fed the best food, given the best stables and grazing, exercised daily, have only the best vets to look after them.

!!"

And when they are no good at racing they are dumped.

evesham

"

!!

And when they are no good at racing they are dumped."

depends how good they were at racing - some get put out to stud and spend their retirement making babies - how many men would moan at that???

Plus Jo has already said that a lot of ex race horses go on to show yards and learn a new skill

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

!!

And when they are no good at racing they are dumped.

depends how good they were at racing - some get put out to stud and spend their retirement making babies - how many men would moan at that???

Plus Jo has already said that a lot of ex race horses go on to show yards and learn a new skill "

And because of how they are trained there are a lot of horses who won't do any different and can't be trained to do anything else.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

There is a terrific charity in Devon called Greatwood, they take in former racehorses and re-train them for use with children with special needs and disabilities.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I just find this topic riveting for a few reasons...

1) although it was graphic seeing the pictures on the tv... the fences at which both horses died... 4 and 6... are two of the smaller fences on the course...

2) I see we are all talking about the horses but seem to have forgotten about the jockey who was seriously injured on in one of the races before the national and is still in a coma?

does this mean we care more about the welfare of the horses than we do about the jockeys???

3) do you know how many horses were killed on saturday racing? the answer is 3... so how comes we haven't had any ballyho and hoopla over the 3rd death???

well the 3rd death happened at doncaster..

in the flat race.....

where the horse just stopped..

legs gave way and collapsed!

sometimes these things happen.... are we going to campaign ALL horse racing.. or just the most famous on TV...

there was a famous incident in the kentucky derby a few years ago where straight after the race, (which is flat and on sand) eight belle, the horse that finished 2nd staggered across the line and was put down there and then, she had broken both front ankles and it was the kindest thing to do.....people were crying, but no one ever suggested banning the race....

why??? because accidents do happen....

what can be done... the way the breeding is done probably doesn't help because horses are a lot more brittle than they use to be... the gene pool isn't as diluted now....

the going was almost perfect.. accidents happen....

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I think one was at Bechers Fabio, thats the biggest x

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I think one was at Bechers Fabio, thats the biggest x"

Or rather the drop is bigger than any others.

One jockey in critical condition two horses dead yeah fuck it don't ban it's still making money.

Cunts

* creEps roUnd grAveyarD * -|-

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"There is a terrific charity in Devon called Greatwood, they take in former racehorses and re-train them for use with children with special needs and disabilities.

"

Yeah I think there is another one somewhere too, but obviously they can't take all of the dumped horses.

Torquay

They are not the only one though, there are racehorse rehabilitation centres all over the country....

Can anyone name a sport without any fatalities/accidents in its history?

Torquay

Newton Abbot National Hunt racecourse down this way have a Horse Rehabilitation charity day every year, I think most courses in the country do in order to support these Horse Trusts.

I think they are looked after better than most people realise....gone are the days when they were sent off to glue factories.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Newton Abbot National Hunt racecourse down this way have a Horse Rehabilitation charity day every year, I think most courses in the country do in order to support these Horse Trusts.

I think they are looked after better than most people realise....gone are the days when they were sent off to glue factories.

"

Not all of them.

Torquay

The Thoroughbred Rehabilitation Centre in Lancaster has a horse retirement centre that looks after 400 horses in 200 acres....all funded by the Jockey Club, Bookmakers, and a levy on racehorse owners.

From this centre they distribute ex racehorses all over the country to over Thirty racehorse charity centres and individual farms/stables.

It's a very well funded and organised establishment, a couple of years ago they did a feature about it on BBC Countryside.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

We can all google and find some places they do go to, so I am not sure why you keep saying the same thing.

I KNOW from experience that ALL racehorses don't go to nice sunny fluffy places in retirement and I also know there are places they go to that only have public donations to survive.

Torquay

What's with the Google remark?

I live very close to Exeter racecourse and they have two or three fundraising events every year for charities like TRC and Heros.

They are well funded both by the horse racing fraternity and individual donations, as I said there are over Thirty racehorse rehabilitaion centres around the country.

Things have changed a lot over the last Twenty years, plenty of money is now taken out of horse racing to care for retired horses.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Because thats what it looks like as I have just read more or less the same things.

We all know there are SOME places that racehorses go to...I know of two without googling and I did explain in my previous post that I can't understand why you are posting each one.

And I will say again..........not ALL racehorses end up in fluffy sunny places, no matter how the world has moved on.

"Can anyone name a sport without any fatalities/accidents in its history?"

Tiddleywinks ,but their was a severe eye injury in the Yorkshire open ,when Arthur Higgingbottom ,tiddle instead of winking !!!

Torquay

I'll leave it at that Rugby as I feel it is getting a bit too personal...

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I'll leave it at that Rugby as I feel it is getting a bit too personal..."

Not sure what you mean but yes, lets leave it at that.

No difference between a horse and a cow to me. They live they die all for man's benefit. Besides we all need glue.

"No difference between a horse and a cow to me. They live they die all for man's benefit. Besides we all need glue. "
....... You got nothing better to do with you life ? Or just oh fuck it I'll post here cuz I've got nothing better to do. WTF

*sits on coffin *

By *horacleCouple  over a year ago

Harwich

"No difference between a horse and a cow to me. They live they die all for man's benefit. Besides we all need glue. "

Tell you what let me jump on your back (you should see the size of me ) and race you round the track then for fun I will cut you up and roast you for my sunday dinner.....im vegan but for you as your so 'special' I will make an exception

Hadn't the winning rider not already received a reprimand and a fine for excessive use of the whip? That horse he rode and this one were covered in weals....hitting his boot my arse!

"Hadn't the winning rider not already received a reprimand and a fine for excessive use of the whip? That horse he rode and this one were covered in weals....hitting his boot my arse! "
well if he was hitting the horse he should not be riding but be band from racing. Alot do hit there boot ....

half the distance and lose the jumps

simples

» Add a new message to this topic