FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Negative Interest Rates !!

Negative Interest Rates !!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uckoo clock OP   Couple  over a year ago

Merseyside

Are our banks credible financial institutions or a comedy act.?

I'm sure most of us are familiar with the saying " if you find yourself in a hole stop digging"

Despite all that has happened before, they plan to charge anyone for depositing our money with them.

You couldn't make it up !!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *angtidy42Couple  over a year ago

Redditch

It's only going to happen business accounts. Your personal account should not be affected.

By *ultry SuccubusTV/TS  over a year ago

London&Dublin

I think negative interest rates is to encourage people to take loans therefore boosting he economy.

I'm not in finance, I might be wrong.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Are our banks credible financial institutions or a comedy act.?

I'm sure most of us are familiar with the saying " if you find yourself in a hole stop digging"

Despite all that has happened before, they plan to charge anyone for depositing our money with them.

You couldn't make it up !!"

Most banks don't want to be on the high street with current account holders. If memory serves, its only been pressure from our governments that stop them pulling the plug or charging.

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

"It's only going to happen business accounts. Your personal account should not be affected.....

"

.... yet

When interest rates are so low as they are now, the normal tactic of lowering rates to stimulate spending rather than saving doesn't work as there's no more room to reduce them further without going below zero.

So negative rates are the only way that's left to go sadly ...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I think negative interest rates is to encourage people to take loans therefore boosting he economy.

I'm not in finance, I might be wrong."

the economic theory behind it that it then says to business "there is no point in hoarding money away in bad times" so you may as well invest... its a tool to keep the ecomony from slowing down more than in it is likely to do in the next few months....

japan did the same thing during the last worldwide recession, the bank of japan interest rate got down to -0.25%

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Personally I can't see us hitting negative interest rates - I can see us hitting .25 on 4 August tho

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

two other things....

1) on a lot of accounts you are already charged a monthly fee... so in effect they are already doing this......

2) on just the very basic personal "current accounts" they won't do this anyway.... because they need your money to invest to make them money.... so they will always give you an interest rate to tempt you to give them your money!!!!!

I find it amusing we believe the banks hold the power! Its our money!

We also have some of the best corporate taxes in the world to encourage business....now why would they put this into effect? Seems a little crazy to me

By *im himCouple (MM)  over a year ago

bedworth

Another word for negative interest rates is a bale in . We been robbed once now there gearing up to do it again

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

At present they're just notifying customers of new terms and conditions that include this option.

Like many things, once it's there it can be implemented fairly silently.

I won't pay for standard high street bank services extra accounts as it is.

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

if my bank did that, all money i have in the bank would come out into cash, and only bills would go in, and pay then draw the lot back out.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

Could we actually live without a bank now? Try paying bills in cash, it's not as easy as you'd think!

By *imon and saffyCouple  over a year ago

southampton

Give us no or negative interest to encourage us to spend more and boost the economy. Borrow more and buy crap we don't need.

Meanwhile the government cuts spending and borrowing.

Something is wrong with the whole bloody system.

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

And when interest rates inevitably rise they are facing the biggest mortgage defaults in history.

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

While government borrowing will incur less interest which is good for us, the encouragement to spend can only get us buying foreign imports as we do not produce enough to spend our money on at consumer level.

You couldn't make it up !!

And when interest rates inevitably rise they are facing the biggest mortgage defaults in history.

"

Thus allowing housing associations to buy up the properties to rent out to people who can't afford a mortgage.

» Add a new message to this topic