FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Remember the ice bucket challenge? It just funded an ALS breakthrough

Remember the ice bucket challenge? It just funded an ALS breakthrough

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The ALS Association says money raised by viral charity challenge, dismissed as ‘slacktivism’ by many, has helped identify a new gene associated with the disease.

The campaign raised more than $100m in a 30-day period, and was able to fully fund a number of research projects.

“It’s very exciting because it shows everyone who contributed to the ice bucket challenge that their donation had an impact on the research,” said Brian Frederick, executive vice-president of communications and development at the ALS Association. “The work that Project MinE is doing is really important, and the discovery of this new gene will help us better understand ALS.”

Do people still think it was a waste of water ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I enjoyed the challenge

Excellent to hear and well worth jumping in an ice cold river in October!!

I think it's quite simply FAB to hear that. More positive threads please and inspirational to see what crowds of people can achieve.

I always thought it was a postive thing to do anyway, am glad to see the funding helped

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I am quite pleased there was a follow up to this challenge.

Often you do something for charity but hear nothing about how your money was put to use.

"I am quite pleased there was a follow up to this challenge.

Often you do something for charity but hear nothing about how your money was put to use.

"

Fantastic news!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36901867

Awesome but be aware practical applications always take longer but this is good news!

"The ALS Association says money raised by viral charity challenge, dismissed as ‘slacktivism’ by many, has helped identify a new gene associated with the disease.

The campaign raised more than $100m in a 30-day period, and was able to fully fund a number of research projects.

“It’s very exciting because it shows everyone who contributed to the ice bucket challenge that their donation had an impact on the research,” said Brian Frederick, executive vice-president of communications and development at the ALS Association. “The work that Project MinE is doing is really important, and the discovery of this new gene will help us better understand ALS.”

Do people still think it was a waste of water ?"

Great news, it's a hideous condition, a guy I used to work with, decades ago had it. It broke my heart watching his decline.

Good for the ice bucketeers

"The ALS Association says money raised by viral charity challenge, dismissed as ‘slacktivism’ by many, has helped identify a new gene associated with the disease.

Do people still think it was a waste of water ?"

Brilliant news.

Nice to hear the money raised has done some good. Too often we don't find out if there's been any succees with something like this.

Likey Likey.

I wanted to revive that craze last week when I was melting!

anything that puts ice water over a nice cleavage is a worthy cause

» Add a new message to this topic