FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > not pc?

not pc?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ny1local OP   Man  over a year ago

READING

got grief of my daughter for talking about the lovely 'oriental' folk that came into my work today," you can't say oriental,it's so rude"...why?,what's wrong with it?I don't know what country they're from,but know they're from what used to be termed "the orient"

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Fuck it. Do what you want.

"got grief of my daughter for talking about the lovely 'oriental' folk that came into my work today," you can't say oriental,it's so rude"...why?,what's wrong with it?I don't know what country they're from,but know they're from what used to be termed "the orient" "

That will be the school drumming it into them on how you cannot refer to anyone's ethnic origins on pain of a fixed term exclusion.

Oriental is fine. From the Orient. Same as European, from Europe.

Or American, from America.

Ignore it, own that your not racist and be happy that you have a good grasp of the January's and are not swayed by fear or PC bullshit.

We should start using Latitude and longitude co-ordinates so we don't accidentally offend anyone. We could have them tattooed on our forearms.

"We should start using Latitude and longitude co-ordinates so we don't accidentally offend anyone. We could have them tattooed on our forearms. "

that's offensive to people who don't know how co-ordinates work

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

OP, did you ask your daughter why she felt that it was wrong?

Communication can be simple or complex and everything in between. Dismissing it as PC is easy and might just lead to her whenever you say anything.

I was thinking only last week that we have a lot more people from Asia who are Chinese,or Taiwanese or something like those nationalities. How does one identity someone from that part of Asia when you're shit at Geography? South East Asia? East Asian? What about Japanese people,which part of the continent are they from?

"We should start using Latitude and longitude co-ordinates so we don't accidentally offend anyone. We could have them tattooed on our forearms.

that's offensive to people who don't know how co-ordinates work "

Everyone has to learn it at Nursery school and recite their own co ordinates before bedtime

"I was thinking only last week that we have a lot more people from Asia who are Chinese,or Taiwanese or something like those nationalities. How does one identity someone from that part of Asia when you're shit at Geography? South East Asia? East Asian? What about Japanese people,which part of the continent are they from? "

I meant in my area,not the whole of the UK.

"We should start using Latitude and longitude co-ordinates so we don't accidentally offend anyone. We could have them tattooed on our forearms.

that's offensive to people who don't know how co-ordinates work

Everyone has to learn it at Nursery school and recite their own co ordinates before bedtime "

Yeah nice one. Fuck the rules. Forget about being considerate lol

"got grief of my daughter for talking about the lovely 'oriental' folk that came into my work today," you can't say oriental,it's so rude"...why?,what's wrong with it?I don't know what country they're from,but know they're from what used to be termed "the orient" "

I wouldn't call it rude, not unless there was a derogatory comment before or after it. X

It can be tricky sometimes working out what you can say!

By *ny1local OP   Man  over a year ago

READING

"It can be tricky sometimes working out what you can say!"
especially with daughters that have'strong opinions'..I'm too much of a coward to argue

"It can be tricky sometimes working out what you can say!"

Aye - calling someone 'coloured' is definitely deemed offensive but 'a woman of colour' is ok to some but not to others. Calling someone 'black' or 'white' isn't deemed unacceptable. I think often people *want* to say the right thing but inadvertently / naively / innocently get it wrong

"It can be tricky sometimes working out what you can say!

Aye - calling someone 'coloured' is definitely deemed offensive but 'a woman of colour' is ok to some but not to others. Calling someone 'black' or 'white' isn't deemed unacceptable. I think often people *want* to say the right thing but inadvertently / naively / innocently get it wrong "

My kids are both at multi cultured schools and my youngest will describe someone as a brown skinned girl / boy where as my teenager will say Asian & they seem to have no hesitation or problem with their choice of phrase.

Where I sometimes have a dilemma!

By *ficouldMan  over a year ago

a quandary, could you change my mind?

OP, I see nothing wrong with what you said.

I don't feel that PC is PC it seems alot of the time an excuse to cause extra bad feelings, we can all say things that can offend without realising, a description is a description, 'the short person' oops height'est, 'the bald guy' hair'est, 'short, average, hairy etc etc'

If a description isn't meant with malice then I don't belive that it is wrong in anyway!

By *artytwoCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

Still, it's nice to have the freedom to think what you want.

Wonder how long that will last.

Lie detectors to check if you're 'ist' of any kind?

It won't be long.

yea,,pc eh,,gotta be carefull,its like most folk brand swingers as fat ugly middle aged folk

By *ammykingMan  over a year ago

Lisburn

These days I think that being 'politically correct' is just a waste of time

As long as your not actually being racist, then I don't see what the major problem is

» Add a new message to this topic