FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Whose near but abroad? ??

Whose near but abroad? ??

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ubbykitten OP   Woman  over a year ago

Kent

Educate me please?

If someone states they are currently abroad either in holiday, working, whatever.... why does the 'whose near' feature, state they are 15 -29 miles away?

I think either;

1) They left their mobile phone at home (but wouldn't it be switched off and who leaves their phone at home nowadays?)

2) They are telling fibs!

3) Other options? ?

Over to you!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes somebody mentionned that to me few days ago... once they refresh their page, the real distance should appear

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Wouldn't they have to change their location on their phone?

"Yes somebody mentionned that to me few days ago... once they refresh their page, the real distance should appear"

Unlikely it would stay as local for long then.

"Yes somebody mentionned that to me few days ago... once they refresh their page, the real distance should appear

Unlikely it would stay as local for long then."

Yes I guess, I will try when I'll be in France

"Educate me please?

If someone states they are currently abroad either in holiday, working, whatever.... why does the 'whose near' feature, state they are 15 -29 miles away?

I think either;

1) They left their mobile phone at home (but wouldn't it be switched off and who leaves their phone at home nowadays?)

3) Other options? ?

Over to you!

"

Or they have 'who's near' functionality turned off so the site picks up the postcode they have on their account.

My post code is in Berkshire - but I could be on holiday in Australia but unless I have 'who's near switched on' the site will still show me as in Berkshire. So they're not necessarily lying!

[Removed by poster at 22/07/16 16:01:44]

By *leasures4Couple  over a year ago

East midlands

We are in the canaries. What does ours say? That should tell you.

Kent

"Wouldn't they have to change their location on their phone? "

I thought it would update automatically dependent on where you are? As far as I understand it, it's all about where the PHONE is.... so if I go away and I wave my phone at home, then it won't change my location but if I go to America for example, then surely it will pick up that I am far away?

50 milestry to refresh ?

Kent

"We are in the canaries. What does ours say? That should tell you. "

160 + miles away. So I think that is correct...obviously you are further than that but it isn't showing 10 miles!

East midlands

"Educate me please?

I think either;

3) Other options? ?

Over to you!

Or they have 'who's near' functionality turned off so the site picks up the postcode they have on their account.

My post code is in Berkshire - but I could be on holiday in Australia but unless I have 'who's near switched on' the site will still show me as in Berkshire. So they're not necessarily lying! "

This

Kent

"Educate me please?

I think either;

3) Other options? ?

Over to you!

My post code is in Berkshire - but I could be on holiday in Australia but unless I have 'who's near switched on' the site will still show me as in Berkshire. So they're not necessarily lying! "

Ah interesting! I didn't know that.

East midlands

"We are in the canaries. What does ours say? That should tell you.

160 + miles away. So I think that is correct...obviously you are further than that but it isn't showing 10 miles! "

It should show so many thousand plus miles away. So it's very possible there is a setting that we haven't got on.

"Wouldn't they have to change their location on their phone?

I thought it would update automatically dependent on where you are? As far as I understand it, it's all about where the PHONE is.... so if I go away and I wave my phone at home, then it won't change my location but if I go to America for example, then surely it will pick up that I am far away?"

No (I think!) - only if you have your current location switched 'on' - it's a privacy thing. When I'm at work I have it switched off, so colleagues don't see me as 'within quarter of a mile'

Kent

I thought it would update automatically dependent on where you are? As far as I understand it, it's all about where the PHONE is.... so if I go away and I wave my phone at home, then it won't change my location but if I go to America for example, then surely it will pick up that I am far away?

No (I think!) - only if you have your current location switched 'on' - it's a privacy thing. When I'm at work I have it switched off, so colleagues don't see me as 'within quarter of a mile'"

How would your colleagues know it's you, even if you had it switched on though?? Lol. Unless you are the only person in a 1/4 mile radius?

By *ongtalljonMan  over a year ago

North Wales

If I look at someones profile, then on their profile, I see two entries under "Distance". The first, with a picture of a house at the side, shows the distance to that persons "home" as registered with this site.

Below that is a picture of a mobile phone and the words "Right now", which shows the distance of that person at this moment in time.

If I click on "See who's near", then I get a list of people which is sorted by those most recently online.

Technically, there are many reasons why their current location may not be accurate. If they have GPS turned off, then their current location might be derived from the mobile network, and might simply show the mobile operators headquarters.

Also, when travelling abroad, the current location on the profile page "might" simply record the last known location, which could be Dover or Heathrow.

However, if I clicked on "see who's near", I would expect that to be the more accurate location and if they appear on the see who's near list and they show as being within 1 mile, but they claim to be in Lanzarote, or Paris, or Kuala Lumpar, then I'd be inclined to wonder if their wife was totally aware of who they were texting.

Kent

No (I think!) - only if you have your current location switched 'on' - it's a privacy thing. When I'm at work I have it switched off, so colleagues don't see me as 'within quarter of a mile'

How would your colleagues know it's you, even if you had it switched on though?? Lol. Unless you are the only person in a 1/4 mile radius? "

There are lots of people within a 1/4 mile radius of me right now! But zero chance of knowing who they are since I live in a built up area! Needle in a haystack I think? Especially with no face pics. Think I am safe lol... even at work!

By *emplarWarriorMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Im on a Mac in Iraq, about 3500 miles away, I guess my "whoes near" may take you to my postcode maybe which is registered to my account?

But i do have people calling me a liar for that very reason....

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I change my location if I can be botheted. Not currently meeting though

I've had people message me when they've been aboard to say that they see I'm near by when I'm at home. Have been told I'm lying too!

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

If I'm away and fancy a meet I change my postcode to where I am. I done that when I was in London once......big mistake!!!!

» Add a new message to this topic