FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Private parking fines.

Private parking fines.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Had a £100 parking fine which reduces to £60 if I pay within 14 days. It's with a private firm called parking link.

My ticket was valid till 11:21am (and I was back way before then) but the parking fine was issued at 10:36am for failing to display ticket correctly. I put it on my drivers side window not the centre of my dashboard but I parked nose first against a wall and next to a wall on my left so approaching the car from the only angle you can walk to is the drivers side window.

Can that be appealed, fucking bit sad if you ask me, it's not as if I didn't have a ticket at all.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I wouldn't pay it

Appeal with evidence

By *ark jamiesonMan  over a year ago

twickenham

"Had a £100 parking fine which reduces to £60 if I pay within 14 days. It's with a private firm called parking link.

My ticket was valid till 11:21am (and I was back way before then) but the parking fine was issued at 10:36am for failing to display ticket correctly. I put it on my drivers side window not the centre of my dashboard but I parked nose first against a wall and next to a wall on my left so approaching the car from the only angle you can walk to is the drivers side window.

Can that be appealed, fucking bit sad if you ask me, it's not as if I didn't have a ticket at all. "

yes appeal it I always do you had a ticket anyway ,nothing they can do

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Don't pay it.

Look up the money supermarket site about private parking fines.

appeal it. i had one like this.. and proved i not only had the ticket but that my ticket was on the dash on the photo the traffic warden took

took about 3 months

Dont pay. They can't actually force you to pay.

Don't pay it and ignore any letters you get.

Private firms have no legal right to enforce the ticket.

Also you will find that a £100 fine is not deemed legal when say the cost of parking for 1 hour is £2.00.

The fine must be commensurate with breach of parking.

I wouldn't worry about it had a few of these and never paid yet.

Loads of great advice on the web

By *arksMan  over a year ago

in the centre

If it's a car park at a retail park just simply don't pay it , the only people who can enforce parking tickets are the police or your local council. These other firms just prey on people in the hope that you will pay it and not question it , you will be sent letters saying they will take you to court etc but it would cost them more to take you to court than they would gain if by some miracle they actually won the case

Just ignore it mate, they'll send you a few threatening letters but eventually they'll give up, don't even acknowledge it. Plenty of advice online saying just that. Council tickets are a different matter but private ones can just be ignored

Given that you have a valid parking ticket, you could appeal. As others have said, with private parking companies, you can simply ignore them. They will write to you in a few months threatening to take you to court, etc., but do not respond. I got a ticket in a privately managed car park 3 years ago, and recently received a letter from a Debt Recovery Agency, again threatening legal action if I didn't pay. It was filed under BS! Quite simply they have to prove that the fine is commensurate with the business lost by preventing someone else from parking. This is highly unlikely, and it really isn't worth their while pursuing it through the courts!

Just keep your valid ticket Teabags love, that way if they do take you to court you can whip it out of your bra and say "ta da", end of case. But otherwise ignore x

OP, there is a very good "parking fine robot" site which takes you through the process and challenges your ticket.

So far, it has allegedly saved people paying 160,000 "fines."

Look it up on Google. Just make sure you are using the right site.

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

It used to be that you could just ignore penalty notices from private companies and in the end they'd give up.

However, they have started taking people to court and winning, so current best advice is not to ignore it completely.

Do appeal it, as the act of appealing it freezes the penalty charge and stops the counter on the two week window.

As has been suggested, there's loads of stuff on-line and a robot site that will take you through the process.

Obviously, keep copies of everything - write letters and send by recorded delivery, rather than emails.

If you do have any telephone conversations, take details of the person you talk to and make notes.

If you have a valid ticket, I can't see this going anywhere, but it might take a bit of effort, which is a pain for you.

Good luck

"Just keep your valid ticket Teabags love, that way if they do take you to court you can whip it out of your bra and say "ta da", end of case. But otherwise ignore x"

Haha I like that!

Think I might be fucked though, just looked at my ticket and it says pay and display then in tiny letters underneath it says place on dashboard!

All the years of sticking your ticket to your window though innit, tenement when the tickets used to have peel off sticky thing to use. I actually put it on my dash above my steering wheel but as I went to close the door the breeze blew through the car and the ticket flew off so I sort of wedged the corner of the ticket under the rubber seal bit of the window, still right way up and everything and clearly visible. Plus my car was nose first almost touching the wall infront and to my left was a wall about 4ft heigh so the parking attendant wouldn't have been able to stand infront of my car or to the left of it, the only place he could stand would be drivers side on where the ticket was in plain view. Bastard wanker, how can people do that job like, ruining people's days in this nice weather as well.

Heigh? High I meant!

Its not a fine its an Invoice...

Only Councils, Police etc can issue fines

Big difference...

Ive had a few of these Invoices... not paid any yet as I didn't accept their terms etc and didn't agree with the amount levied for the service offered. .

"It used to be that you could just ignore penalty notices from private companies and in the end they'd give up.

However, they have started taking people to court and winning, so current best advice is not to ignore it completely.

Do appeal it, as the act of appealing it freezes the penalty charge and stops the counter on the two week window.

As has been suggested, there's loads of stuff on-line and a robot site that will take you through the process.

Obviously, keep copies of everything - write letters and send by recorded delivery, rather than emails.

If you do have any telephone conversations, take details of the person you talk to and make notes.

If you have a valid ticket, I can't see this going anywhere, but it might take a bit of effort, which is a pain for you.

Good luck

"

This!!!

I ignored them for years during my mis-spent youth! I unfirtunately got one by a genuine accident last year. (Parked on one around 8 at night to pick and indian up as thought was council 8-6 jobby, it wasnt it was private) ignored it after reading all the out of date stuff on the net. I got debt recovery letter, i called them and told them no. The carpark company sent me a court date. Now I could have gone and argued it, maybe won. But it wasnt worth the stress or the hard work, i just paid the discounted £180 instead of £250. They recently updated the rules so the companies do take you to court and do win, especially if you have not apealed or aknowledged them. Id just pay it. Not worth the hassle.

"I wouldn't pay it

Appeal with evidence

"

This

By *ane DTV/TS  over a year ago

Glasgow

Reply with the appeal, stating that any further letters will incur an administration fee of £150.

Payable within 14 days or it doubles.

Failure to pay within 28 days and the sum will double again.

Failure to pay within 42 days will result in the bill being passed to a Debt Collection agency for enforcement. All further costs being added to the bill.

Aha OPs may be a Council fine afterall...

I had the exact same thing happen one Whitby Goth weekend...valid ticket blew off the dash...

Had 2 tickets waiting on my return to the car 2 days later

I wrote to the council with evidence of the correct ticket and they let me off....they didnt have to though as I had not correctly displayed said ticket

So in summary

Private Co = Invoice = they can go fuck themselves

Council = Fine = yer fucked unless you can argue the case...

Good luck

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

If you visited a shop linked to the the car park, go and ask them to contact the parking thieving bastards...Erm, i mean parking enforcement company.

They will get the ticket revoked for you..

It's always worth it, even if you didn't purchase anything..

The store managers despise these private parking pirates as they drive away custom with their indiscriminate and mostly illegal activities.

Failing that, appeal politely. If they refuse, send them a letter informing them they have 14 days to revoke the ticket otherwise you will take them to small claims court to quash the fine,for consequential losses (your time) and the stress they have inflicted on you.

A court will always look favourable on you as you acted in good faith by purchasing a ticket.

They will not want to go down that route, they know they will lose.

It is commonly accepted that you purchase a ticket, you park in a marked bay and the ticket is displayed in the front of your vehicle (dashboard, side window....)

You are not expected as a consumer to read All the small print as you may well be dyslexic or short sighted, common conditions that wouldn't prevent you from.driving but could make reading terms impossible.

Good luck..

[Removed by poster at 19/07/16 14:29:24]

A friend told me that the law has changed, and that if a private company has a legitimate interest to charge an out of proportion penalty i e so that people don't over stay that is now a enforceable contract.

"It used to be that you could just ignore penalty notices from private companies and in the end they'd give up.

Good luck

"

Finally someone with a bit of common sense!

Do exactly this, don't ignore it.

That used to be the case and they would go away, but it's happening more and more where they are actually going through with it.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

Just email the company stating you had a valid ticket ..and could they send someone to view the evidence ...

I emailed them earlier saying that I wish to appeal as the fine was issued at 10:36 and my ticket was valid until 11:21. Haven't mentioned anything about it being on my drivers side window. If they send photo evidence of my ticket being displayed in the drivers side window then surely that's proof in itself that I purchased a ticket that still had 45 minutes left until it run out! Fair enough if I didn't buy a ticket but I did and it was in plain view. Even before I saw the yellow sticker on my windscreen I could see my little ticket because the front of my car was facing a wall. I was thinking as well that I better put the ticket on the side as you couldn't view the car front on knky from the drivers size. A plague on his house, jobs worth cunt.

By *eMontresMan  over a year ago

Halesowen

"I emailed them earlier saying that I wish to appeal as the fine was issued at 10:36 and my ticket was valid until 11:21. Haven't mentioned anything about it being on my drivers side window. If they send photo evidence of my ticket being displayed in the drivers side window then surely that's proof in itself that I purchased a ticket that still had 45 minutes left until it run out! Fair enough if I didn't buy a ticket but I did and it was in plain view. Even before I saw the yellow sticker on my windscreen I could see my little ticket because the front of my car was facing a wall. I was thinking as well that I better put the ticket on the side as you couldn't view the car front on knky from the drivers size. A plague on his house, jobs worth cunt. "

If you don't get a reply or acknowledgement within a couple of days at the most, send a snail mail recorded delivery.

Email is a "reasonable endeavours" service with no guarantee of delivery - thus they could claim non receipt and start hiking up the charges.

Go all the way through the appeals procedure and be prepared to go to court. Though it's likely they'll bale before that if you have the ticket, as a Magistrate is extremely unlikely to rule against you as you have proof of good faith.

"I emailed them earlier saying that I wish to appeal as the fine was issued at 10:36 and my ticket was valid until 11:21. Haven't mentioned anything about it being on my drivers side window. If they send photo evidence of my ticket being displayed in the drivers side window then surely that's proof in itself that I purchased a ticket that still had 45 minutes left until it run out! Fair enough if I didn't buy a ticket but I did and it was in plain view. Even before I saw the yellow sticker on my windscreen I could see my little ticket because the front of my car was facing a wall. I was thinking as well that I better put the ticket on the side as you couldn't view the car front on knky from the drivers size. A plague on his house, jobs worth cunt. "

You do have grounds to appeal.

Whether you can be arsed is up to you.

Only 2 type of parking fines you need to pay ...

1.off the police /traffic warden

2.off the council

all the rest are invoices and worded to frighten you into paying. ..don't even acknowledge the invoice! !...don't appeal. .they depend on the people who just pay without question. The times they have took people to court it's been thrown out! !!

Ignore and keep the letters ,they do get fed up.Oh and just because they pay the DVLA for registered keeper information they would still need to prove who was actually driving /parking the car! !

Rule 1: do not pay these people - have had several of these "invoices" off private parking companies. They never take it to court.

Reason: they have to spend a lot of money getting you to court and you could defend it and win, or settle before they get a hearing and lose their costs of getting you there.

Rule 2: do not engage in any dialogue with them, except, if you must, to reject their invoice.

Rule 3: read up about it, there's lots of anti parking enforcement websites out there to help you

In short, do not pay

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"OP, there is a very good "parking fine robot" site which takes you through the process and challenges your ticket.

So far, it has allegedly saved people paying 160,000 "fines."

Look it up on Google. Just make sure you are using the right site."

I thought your car was in need of £600 worth of repairs to make it roadworthy?

"I thought your car was in need of £600 worth of repairs to make it roadworthy?"

Maybe someone 'lent ' her the money

Or a new car ......

"I thought your car was in need of £600 worth of repairs to make it roadworthy?

Or a new car ......"

Orrrr read the thread again and you'll see I said the car is drivable but without getting it fixed I'm doing more damage to it.

Or a new car ......

Orrrr read the thread again and you'll see I said the car is drivable but without getting it fixed I'm doing more damage to it. "

Well at least if you have to take the bus for a bit (this is what I had to do when my car needed a similar sum spending on it- while I earned the money) you won't get any parking tickets!

"If it's a car park at a retail park just simply don't pay it , the only people who can enforce parking tickets are the police or your local council. These other firms just prey on people in the hope that you will pay it and not question it , you will be sent letters saying they will take you to court etc but it would cost them more to take you to court than they would gain if by some miracle they actually won the case "

I had one of those once a few years ago. I ignored it and nothing happened. Look online for more advice. I am currently disputing a ticket with my local council, I have told them I am prepared to go to Court, I doubt that they expect that...I have a valid case too.

Or a new car ......"

See, if I'd said any of those I'd get abuse

Or a new car ......

See, if I'd said any of those I'd get abuse "

I'd have answered you the same, was hardly pleasant in my response anyway.

By *asokittyWoman  over a year ago

Nr Worksop

Ignore all the letters. They go away eventually. They're not enforceable

Go in the Martin Lewis website

Only council and police fines you have to pay

Or a new car ......

Orrrr read the thread again and you'll see I said the car is drivable but without getting it fixed I'm doing more damage to it. "

Why would you continue to drive it ..... Surely if you can't afford the 600 now your not going to afford the additional costs. Or afford to have it written off.

Or a new car ......

Orrrr read the thread again and you'll see I said the car is drivable but without getting it fixed I'm doing more damage to it.

Why would you continue to drive it ..... Surely if you can't afford the 600 now your not going to afford the additional costs. Or afford to have it written off. "

Maybe she has no choice but to continue driving it until it claps out. She hasn't asked for advice or opinions about how she uses her car, a tad unfair to pry into her personal finances don't you think

"Dont pay. They can't actually force you to pay."

They fan now.

All the old advixe to ignore it no longer applies it wasbtested in court.

They can qnd will take you to court and make you pay that way.

But you have s ticket appeal

Or a new car ......

Why would you continue to drive it ..... Surely if you can't afford the 600 now your not going to afford the additional costs. Or afford to have it written off. "

Cause people can't afdord to give up work?

appeal and i believe a lot of fines cannot be enforced amyway

"Rule 1: do not pay these people - have had several of these "invoices" off private parking companies. They never take it to court.

Reason: they have to spend a lot of money getting you to court and you could defend it and win, or settle before they get a hearing and lose their costs of getting you there.

Rule 2: do not engage in any dialogue with them, except, if you must, to reject their invoice.

Rule 3: read up about it, there's lots of anti parking enforcement websites out there to help you

In short, do not pay"

They now regularly take people to court, win easily and have you pay thier fees.

How can it be legal? I hate shit like this.

Hope you get it sorted OP.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Dont pay. They can't actually force you to pay."

By *igal17Man  over a year ago

Ayr SW Scotland

The debt collection thing is bollocks, probably the same people operating under a different name.

You are only at risk of debt collectors if you are taken to court, lose, and still refuse to pay.

They are NOT fining you, they have no such authority, although they try and dress it up to sound like it (which is illegal). They are issuing a charge for breach of contract. If you have a valid ticket you are not in breach.

"A friend told me that the law has changed, and that if a private company has a legitimate interest to charge an out of proportion penalty i e so that people don't over stay that is now a enforceable contract."

Very true. Alot of the stuff you read is outdated. OP Is fine as got the ticket, but if she didnt...

"Rule 1: do not pay these people - have had several of these "invoices" off private parking companies. They never take it to court.

In short, do not pay

They now regularly take people to court, win easily and have you pay thier fees."

Exactly!!!

"A friend told me that the law has changed, and that if a private company has a legitimate interest to charge an out of proportion penalty i e so that people don't over stay that is now a enforceable contract.

Very true. Alot of the stuff you read is outdated. OP Is fine as got the ticket, but if she didnt..."

Am I fine though as the ticket says please pay and display then in small writing it says "place on dashboard" my ticket was drivers side window.

They emailed me back with this even though I took a picture of my ticket. They are fining me just because the ticket wasn't on my dashboard it was on the drivers side window. The person wouldn't have even been able to stand in front of my car to take a picture because I was nose first against a bloody wall.

The vehicle was parked in a manner which attracted a charge as it was not displaying a valid pay and display ticket. It is the drivers responsibility to ensure they meet the parking requirements. Our signs clearly advertise the parking requirements and by not meeting them you accepted our charge.

Given the facts we are rejecting your appeal.

If you believe this decision is incorrect, you are entitled to appeal to the Independent Appeals Service (IAS). The IAS provides an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme for disputes of this type. As you have complied with our internal appeals procedure you may use, and we will engage with, the IAS Standard Appeals Service providing you lodge an appeal to them within 21 days of this rejection. For further information please visit www.theias.org.

If you appeal this charge then you will lose the ability to pay the reduced rate in the event the appeal is unsuccessful, the full amount will then be payable. If you appeal and subsequently pay the charge prior to that appeal being determined then the appeal will be cancelled and you will not be given a further opportunity to contest the charge.

Shouldn't have admited it wasnt on the dashboard.

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

We Got A £150 fine.. Just Being Taken to The Small Claims Court.. !!

For Human Error !!!

Entered the Wrong Registration !!

How Bad Ass is that ???

Hi, it's parking eye here we're gonna send the bailiffs round

"Shouldn't have admited it wasnt on the dashboard.

"

I didn't mention anything about where it was placed. I just said I'd like to appeal a parking fine that was issued at 10:36 as I had a ticket valid till 11:21. I took a picture of my ticket which had the date and time on but it was on my knee when I took the picture cos I did it at home. I didn't say where my ticket was.

I'm gonna go there again tomorrow and buy a ticket and place it on the dash but just sit on the wall away from my car and wait for them to come round. They aren't normal council traffic wardens. Just wanna ask the cunt what the fuck his problem is.

"I'm gonna go there again tomorrow and buy a ticket and place it on the dash but just sit on the wall away from my car and wait for them to come round. They aren't normal council traffic wardens. Just wanna ask the cunt what the fuck his problem is. "

Just be careful and remain calm, if you raise you voice or loose your temper they'll probably just walk away or worst maybe call the police.. Good luck

"They emailed me back with this even though I took a picture of my ticket. They are fining me just because the ticket wasn't on my dashboard it was on the drivers side window. The person wouldn't have even been able to stand in front of my car to take a picture because I was nose first against a bloody wall.

The vehicle was parked in a manner which attracted a charge as it was not displaying a valid pay and display ticket. It is the drivers responsibility to ensure they meet the parking requirements. Our signs clearly advertise the parking requirements and by not meeting them you accepted our charge.

Given the facts we are rejecting your appeal.

If you believe this decision is incorrect, you are entitled to appeal to the Independent Appeals Service (IAS). The IAS provides an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme for disputes of this type. As you have complied with our internal appeals procedure you may use, and we will engage with, the IAS Standard Appeals Service providing you lodge an appeal to them within 21 days of this rejection. For further information please visit www.theias.org.

If you appeal this charge then you will lose the ability to pay the reduced rate in the event the appeal is unsuccessful, the full amount will then be payable. If you appeal and subsequently pay the charge prior to that appeal being determined then the appeal will be cancelled and you will not be given a further opportunity to contest the charge.

"

Put the IAS info into the Money Maving Expert website and it comes up with forum posts on who they are and what people suggest.

"Shouldn't have admited it wasnt on the dashboard.

I didn't mention anything about where it was placed. I just said I'd like to appeal a parking fine that was issued at 10:36 as I had a ticket valid till 11:21. I took a picture of my ticket which had the date and time on but it was on my knee when I took the picture cos I did it at home. I didn't say where my ticket was. "

In that case definitly go with it was clearly displayed on the dashboard but due to how the car wasnparked maybe the atgendant couldnt se eit

I'd just ignore all further correspondence, they now know you have a valid ticket do I doubt very much they'd pursue you through the courts. My son had one months ago, similar circumstances, he appealed it, they refused the appeal so we just ignored them after that, we had about 3 threatening letters but then nothing, we havn't heard anything for a good couple of months now. X

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/nov/05/call-to-regulate-private-car-park-penalties-after-supreme-court-battle

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/parking-tickets-private-land.html

Try here...

https://popla.co.uk/

Appeal. We too ours to POPLA, and got it cancelled. We had bought a ticket from a nearby machine not realising that it wasn't for this car park.

The parking company try it on all the time!!

Always appeal. We got a fine in an aldi store, turns out that it was 2 days after changing the car and we had put one of the last three letters into the system in the wrong order ie dr00 abc and we had entered dr00 bac! We appealed they said it was our error and the fine stood so I contacted aldi and explained what had happened, a couple of weeks later got confirmation that the fine had been quashed! Always persevere

» Add a new message to this topic