FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > PrEP

PrEP

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *G Lana OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

I don't know how many peope are aware of the developments in prophylatic treatment for reducing the risk of HIV infection (http://www.tht.org.uk/sexual-health/About-HIV/Pre-exposure-Prophylaxis). Basically it has been found that a single dose of one of treatments developed for treating HIV can be effective as a prophylatic (preventative) treatment in a similar manner to anti-malarial drugs. Having had a number of sucessful trials including one in the UK the NHS has been advised that it does not have a responsibility to fund this treatment despite funding other preventative treatments leaving this as a responsibility of local authorities. This decision is currently being challenged in the High Court (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36781841) but unless changed this will potentially lead to a very disjointed provision of care.

As a Fab attracts a number of higher risk groups for HIV I am interested in other peoples views on PrEP. Is this something you would consider using? If you were taking it would it change your behaviour and if so how?

Personally I will certainly be looking further into this. I don't think it would change my approaches to risk management, as it would still leave me at some risk of HIV and does not prevent other infections.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

fab attracts high risk groups no more than anywhere else surely - i think people here are more safe sex aware than jo bloggs plu 1 who decide they will shag up an alley on the way home after a night on the lash

Gosport

By definition men who have sex with men are considered higher risk as are those with multiple concurrent partners both categories common on Fab.

"By definition men who have sex with men are considered higher risk as are those with multiple concurrent partners both categories common on Fab. "

I'm sure the heterosexual community spread more sti's than the lgbt community

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

"By definition men who have sex with men are considered higher risk as are those with multiple concurrent partners both categories common on Fab.

I'm sure the heterosexual community spread more sti's than the lgbt community"

Would that be due to "lesbian bed death?"

By *ancyDrewWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Interesting that the new PARTNER study shows that those on meds really do have the most minimal, like practically zero, issue of infecting others!

We just need people to get tested.

Gosport

From the Terrence Higgins Trust:

'How effective is PrEP?

Research suggests that PrEP is highly effective in preventing HIV transmission, as long as the pills are taken as directed.

In a large international study, gay men who took at least four doses a week had 96 per cent fewer infections. Results from separate studies of PrEP in the UK and France have both showed that PrEP substantially reduces infections among gay men. The UK study reported that there was an 86 per cent reduction in the rate of HIV infection when PrEP was made available.

PrEP has also proven effective for heterosexual couples in which one partner is HIV positive.'

By *osh coxMan  over a year ago

london / manchester

Buy prep , HIV prevention online from the pharmacy on line dot com for £40 a month.

was given the leaflet about this when i got checked

» Add a new message to this topic