FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Space.. Do you believe in it?

Space.. Do you believe in it?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What is it, that confirms to you, that space exists, and is reachable by humans?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The aliens that gave me my first anal probe

I look up into the sky and there it is.

Unless you believe it's all a hologram and the earth is flat. Like many do.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I need more space in my drawers. I believe in the concept of space, just not the reality of it.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I go there in my dreams so it's real.

[Removed by poster at 13/07/16 22:25:21]

"No no, i dont believe anything, im just asking what it is, that certifies to you, that you could be there yourself, like you could go to the shop, or the pub or whatever, just a question, no hidden belief "

Physics?

Sky telly will do for me, and the space station you can see hurtle through the sky with the naked eye.

Of course it exists. Usually its the over abundance of space between the good persons of fab that result in daydreaming of meets rather than the re-living of meets!

"I look up into the sky and there it is.

Unless you believe it's all a hologram and the earth is flat. Like many do. "

No no, i dont believe anything, im just asking a question, what is it, that makes you think that you or i could be there right now, like we could the shop, or the pub, for example?

'The female of the species' wouldn't exist without Space...

"Sky telly will do for me, and the space station you can see hurtle through the sky with the naked eye."

Thats in leo (low earth orbit)

Which isnt technically space

I'm not sure what you mean by space? It's definetely out there.

"No no, i dont believe anything, im just asking what it is, that certifies to you, that you could be there yourself, like you could go to the shop, or the pub or whatever, just a question, no hidden belief

Physics? "

Define what you mean by that?

I've been it really is a lot of fuss about nothing

"No no, i dont believe anything, im just asking what it is, that certifies to you, that you could be there yourself, like you could go to the shop, or the pub or whatever, just a question, no hidden belief

Physics?

Define what you mean by that?"

A set of defined and testable laws that we use to understand the world around us. As in, the reason you would sleep in a 50 story hotel and not worry about it falling down in the night - because it had been built according to the laws of physics so it won't fall down

"I'm not sure what you mean by space? It's definetely out there. "

Just the one that nasa go to all the time with different planets and stuff.. I mean.. Van allen radiation belt?

Physics?

A set of defined and testable laws that we use to understand the world around us. As in, the reason you would sleep in a 50 story hotel and not worry about it falling down in the night - because it had been built according to the laws of physics so it won't fall down "

Ok, yes of cours, apologies, i mean contextually, how does that apply to my question? The building.. Is here on the ground.. Earth.. But 'up there' is a little different.. Its supposed to be a vaccum? But.. Its next to.. Our atmosphere..? I dont get that..

"I've been it really is a lot of fuss about nothing "

Awesome, did you bring anything back? Aha

"I've been it really is a lot of fuss about nothing

Awesome, did you bring anything back? Aha"

Yes fairy dust its where we make it

"I'm not sure what you mean by space? It's definetely out there.

Just the one that nasa go to all the time with different planets and stuff.. I mean.. Van allen radiation belt?"

The non constant belt with gaping holes in it

Yes it is a problem (many of the appolo astronauts who passed through it have develoepd cancer and had thier thyroid removed) but its not insurmountable.

But given your line of argument can i leap ahead youre one of those people who belives in soace you need constant thrust to move dont you

Physics?

A set of defined and testable laws that we use to understand the world around us. As in, the reason you would sleep in a 50 story hotel and not worry about it falling down in the night - because it had been built according to the laws of physics so it won't fall down

Ok, yes of cours, apologies, i mean contextually, how does that apply to my question? The building.. Is here on the ground.. Earth.. But 'up there' is a little different.. Its supposed to be a vaccum? But.. Its next to.. Our atmosphere..? I dont get that..

"

Well the same company that builds most the planes you use to go on holiday (boeing) also build the rockets that take people to space. They build both using the same principles.

Since we know planes work and can take you to Japan, why wouldn't rockets be able to take you to the moon?

No no, i dont believe anything, im just asking a question, what is it, that makes you think that you or i could be there right now, like we could the shop, or the pub, for example?"

not what, who. Richard Branson and his idea of commercial flights to space?

No no, i dont believe anything, im just asking a question, what is it, that makes you think that you or i could be there right now, like we could the shop, or the pub, for example?"

Well if we had access to a multi billion pound rocket to propel us up there, I'm sure we could.

Some think the moon landings were fake and it's beyond human endeavour to get there. Others think there are Nazi (or even alien) bases on the far side of the moon.

Others say that space aliens encountered astronauts on the moon and warned us off there (which is why we haven't been back in decades)

Me? I like kittens.

I've watched Aliens and Star Trek, so I know that there is space out there!

By *inzi LTV/TS  over a year ago

The Garden of Eden in Beautiful North Wales

"What is it, that confirms to you, that space exists, and is reachable by humans?"

It does exist and I have my own, I like to keep it that way unless I invite you in.

"I'm not sure what you mean by space? It's definetely out there.

Just the one that nasa go to all the time with different planets and stuff.. I mean.. Van allen radiation belt?"

That's around our planet. We have others planets nearish to us. We all go around our sun. That's our solar system There are other Suns a lot further away and they have their own systems. I can go on but I'm not sure what you don't know. These are all visible, some to the naked eye, some with telescopes. They're all plainly there. I'm completely puzzled here tbh.

Physics?

"

Because the atmosphere is held to the earth by gravity (and somewhat protected by our magnetic feild qhich deflects solar winds from stripping it slowly away)

Mars lost its magnetic feild ans it is kuch smaller and so its atmosphere slowly boiled away.

You mention vaccum but do you understand the pressure youre under now?

About 14psi

14 pounds of pressure bearing down on every inch of syour skin from all angles thats caused by the weight of that atmosphere above you.

It is not uniform it slowly gets less dense more spread out and of lighter elements

Also theres the sinple fact the GPS on your phone works and theyre far out in the geosynchronous belt

If space doesnt exist, can everybody hear you scream?

"Sky telly will do for me, and the space station you can see hurtle through the sky with the naked eye.

Which isnt technically space"

Actually it is in geostationary orbit....several times higher than the space station.....so yes. It is in space. If it was in the atmosphere then friction from the air would decelerate it and it would fall down (that's physics too...and yes, I do have a degree in said subject)

i just dont think we can be the only planet like ours

"Also theres the sinple fact the GPS on your phone works and theyre far out in the geosynchronous belt"

Brian Cox

By *layfull pairingCouple  over a year ago

Bristol

Well the cheeky chap with the teeth on the telly the other night said it was all up there and spinning about .... And I'd believe anything he told me ....

"i just dont think we can be the only planet like ours "

It would be mathematically impossible.

By *am-RaiderMan  over a year ago

Corby

Physics?

Because the atmosphere is held to the earth by gravity (and somewhat protected by our magnetic feild qhich deflects solar winds from stripping it slowly away)

Mars lost its magnetic feild ans it is kuch smaller and so its atmosphere slowly boiled away.

You mention vaccum but do you understand the pressure youre under now?

About 14psi

14 pounds of pressure bearing down on every inch of syour skin from all angles thats caused by the weight of that atmosphere above you.

It is not uniform it slowly gets less dense more spread out and of lighter elements

"

Well said. The OP should brush up on basic physics.

Grantham

"'The female of the species' wouldn't exist without Space..."

Horrible cover

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I've been close to it and my belief in its existence is based on published scientific research which seems to back up my beliefs. The moon, the sun, other planets and stars all seem distant from us, with space in between.

By *illnatMan  over a year ago

wherever i need to be

"I've watched Aliens and Star Trek, so I know that there is space out there! "

Definitely the final frontier -trekkie alert lol

"Sky telly will do for me, and the space station you can see hurtle through the sky with the naked eye.

Actually it is in geostationary orbit....several times higher than the space station.....so yes. It is in space. If it was in the atmosphere then friction from the air would decelerate it and it would fall down (that's physics too...and yes, I do have a degree in said subject)"

Sky tv and communication satellites are not in the geosynchronous belt they are much much lower.

I've watched several episodes of the Big Bang Theory and space is central to the plot. Without it no more Penny!!!. Please don't let it be so...

Actually I recall this from Carl Sagan wrote:

"Matter is composed chiefly of nothing".

"What is it, that confirms to you, that space exists, and is reachable by humans?"
.....you mean. . Space. ..the final frontier?

"I've been close to it and my belief in its existence is based on published scientific research which seems to back up my beliefs. The moon, the sun, other planets and stars all seem distant from us, with space in between."

Flat earthers believe the sun is only about 3,000 miles away

Grantham

"geosynchronous belt"

That's hot

Grantham

"What is it, that confirms to you, that space exists, and is reachable by humans?.....you mean. . Space. ..the final frontier? "

How many ears does Captain Kirk have?

Hey I believe we live a parallel universe, Einstein believed this , thus many other scientist. Black hole theory's amaze me , Stephen Hawkins speaks deeply about this. X

Actually it is in geostationary orbit....several times higher than the space station.....so yes. It is in space. If it was in the atmosphere then friction from the air would decelerate it and it would fall down (that's physics too...and yes, I do have a degree in said subject)

Sky tv and communication satellites are not in the geosynchronous belt they are much much lower.

"

If course sky is geosynchronous. Otherwise your dish would need to keep moving in order to follow it and it would lose all communications when around the other side of the Earth. As your dish points to just one position in space the sky sat needs to remain in that one place, relative to Earth. Simple fact.

If you are in a strange place and wish to know what direction is South...just look for the direction the dishes point!

Geosynchronous means it remains in the same place relative to Earth. It is the only way it works fir such a satellite.

"Hey I believe we live a parallel universe, Einstein believed this , thus many other scientist. Black hole theory's amaze me , Stephen Hawkins speaks deeply about this. X"

What is it parallel to?

By *ath_Neil_bifunCouple  over a year ago

near cardiff

Man has landed probes all over the solar sysyem.type hubble on google to see space..doubt we'll ever leave our solar system on manned flights though like in star trek.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I've been it really is a lot of fuss about nothing "

My neighbour gets spaced out on a daily basis

The orbital speed of a satellite has to change depending on its height. At a particular height, above the equator a satellite will complete one orbit in the same time it takes for the Earth to rotate...hence it stays above the same geographical point on the Earths surface. A lower orbit requires a higher speed to counter the greater gravitational force. And vice versa.

The physics isn't hard to follow....even for a layman.

It's like a nerd fight in here, excellent!

Anyway, Planet X (Nibaru) - when's that gonna turn up and cause Armageddon? It was meant to be in 2012 according to all the Mayan calendar apocalyptic scenarios, but it all passed relatively without incident (touch wood) didn't it ?

Wow, didnt realise a simple question could bring forward so much energy, in respomse to claims about physics, i dont claim to be educated.. I just asked a question.. No malice inteded, its nice to hear what everybody has collectively learned, i just think the thing i struggle with, is the fact that...

Rockets always tail off.. Never actually going too high...

All images are cgi/composite..

Satellites in the thermosphere.. But not in pics of earth.?

And doesnt everybody have a hd cam on thier phone now? Why hasnt anyone taken one up?

Only asking questions, its how we learn.. Peace to all

By *ervent_fervourMan  over a year ago

Halifax

Seeing as it's a vacuum is this a trick question, seeing as it could be argued that it doesn't exist seeing as apart from physical objects IN space, plus light waves and all that mullarkey, space is the absence of something?

Not that I know anything about this of course.

"Hey I believe we live a parallel universe, Einstein believed this , thus many other scientist. Black hole theory's amaze me , Stephen Hawkins speaks deeply about this. X

What is it parallel to? "

At no time ever did Einstein talk about parallel universes. Einstein did however describe spacetime as a single concept and gravity, not as a force, but as a curvature in this space time.

If anyone can find a genuine quote from Einstein about a parallel universe I would be glad to hear it.

The actual word universe or universal means 'everything in existence' so the word universe actually excludes the existence of more than one...but that's grammatical semantics rather than physics.

Halifax

"Actually I recall this from Carl Sagan wrote:

"Matter is composed chiefly of nothing"."

Ah..Looks like some clever bod has got there before me!

"Hey I believe we live a parallel universe, Einstein believed this , thus many other scientist. Black hole theory's amaze me , Stephen Hawkins speaks deeply about this. X

What is it parallel to? "

A black hole would need to be large and if it was rotating it might have a passage to another universe. But you couldn’t come back to our universe.,, no one knows as black holes are energy that feed on energy as such, lost energy but who knows ,

"The orbital speed of a satellite has to change depending on its height. At a particular height, above the equator a satellite will complete one orbit in the same time it takes for the Earth to rotate...hence it stays above the same geographical point on the Earths surface. A lower orbit requires a higher speed to counter the greater gravitational force. And vice versa.

The physics isn't hard to follow....even for a layman."

And for high latitude locations eliptical orbits alow a satalite to spend a large period of time roughly over the same geographical area.

Which means you can use much lower power transmitters than if youre trying to reach all the way out to the geo belt.

Its how the russians built thier communications net works.

Lots of satelites that "sweep" up and down when looked at on a map

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

"

If you are in a strange place and wish to know what direction is South...just look for the direction the dishes point!

Geosynchronous means it remains in the same place relative to Earth. It is the only way it works fir such a satellite."

except south of the equator, then they point north, i think .

but for the op they are definitely pointing to space , not much debate there

By *eliz NelsonMan  over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

I believe in space and one day there may b a planet Fab....

It will be a great place to visit and Capt Kirk will be banned (He's a letch!)

Central

"Wow, didnt realise a simple question could bring forward so much energy, in respomse to claims about physics, i dont claim to be educated.. I just asked a question.. No malice inteded, its nice to hear what everybody has collectively learned, i just think the thing i struggle with, is the fact that...

And doesnt everybody have a hd cam on thier phone now? Why hasnt anyone taken one up?

"

You quote your questions but not the evidence that strongly supports that space exists. Perhaps you could add that, for balance.

By *am-RaiderMan  over a year ago

Corby

"Wow, didnt realise a simple question could bring forward so much energy, in respomse to claims about physics, i dont claim to be educated.. I just asked a question.. No malice inteded, its nice to hear what everybody has collectively learned, i just think the thing i struggle with, is the fact that...

"

Such nonsense..none of your statements make any sense.

Download the Nasa app and you will see live pictures from the space station. (Cgi obviously)

How do you get through life with such flawed logic?

everybody needs some space at some point..

as I usually get it, that makes me believe that it exists...

"The orbital speed of a satellite has to change depending on its height. At a particular height, above the equator a satellite will complete one orbit in the same time it takes for the Earth to rotate...hence it stays above the same geographical point on the Earths surface. A lower orbit requires a higher speed to counter the greater gravitational force. And vice versa.

And for high latitude locations eliptical orbits alow a satalite to spend a large period of time roughly over the same geographical area.

Which means you can use much lower power transmitters than if youre trying to reach all the way out to the geo belt.

Lots of satelites that "sweep" up and down when looked at on a map"

Largely over the same geographical region is not good enough for your dish.....

For reference the sky Astra satellite can be found at longitude 28.2 degrees east and 35,768km above the equator in a geosynchronous orbit!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

How would Startrek have existed if space did not exist,Captain Kirk would have been unemployed

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

If there's no gravity in space why don't all the planets float away?

Lots of satelites that "sweep" up and down when looked at on a map

Largely over the same geographical region is not good enough for your dish.....

For reference the sky Astra satellite can be found at longitude 28.2 degrees east and 35,768km above the equator in a geosynchronous orbit!"

Fair enough it's been a very long time since i looked at this stuff guessing things have moved on in times.

Googleing though found the name of it molniya orbit its what russian tv networks used to use.

"What is it, that confirms to you, that space exists, and is reachable by humans?.....you mean. . Space. ..the final frontier?

How many ears does Captain Kirk have?"

....go on then. ... I don't know. .how many ears dors captain kirk have?.

"If there's no gravity in space why don't all the planets float away?"

The moon is ..

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Horizon on BBC4 now, about Black Holes

"

You can watch hd video from the ISS daily?

Are you saying you expect to see satelites in pictures taken of earth?

I'll answer that with dust is everywhere in the air (you can flance it in a sun beam) but you don't see the world like a fog do you?

Halifax

I'm gonna read this tomorrow morning when I have my breakfast instead of reading the papers.

And when I'm in a less distractable mood.

Sometimes I love Fab!

"

What rockets are you on about ? The ones that are designed to go into space do so, the ones that aren't, don't .

Images, what images are you on about ?

Hd cameras have been sent up in unmanned amateur rockets, if your meaning astronauts why would they use a phone when they are taking proper recording equipment with them

And not managing to take pictures of satalites you do understand the idea of scale ? The size of a satalites in comparison to the earth is miniscule, imagine me standing on the top of a block of flats and trying to take a picture of an ant on the ground, you know they are there but your not going to see them in the picture

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

What?

LOL

Glastonbury

"What is it, that confirms to you, that space exists, and is reachable by humans?

What?

LOL"

Look up at night. It's as simple as that

There's all kindsa crazeeeee shit up there. Promise.

Yes. What else would be out there? The question is what is space made up of?

Someone asked why don't they take HD cameras into space?

Erm most of the astronauts on the ISS have and you can even follow them on Twitter

"Yes. What else would be out there? The question is what is space made up of? "

Well the moon is made of cheese, that much I know. Saw it on a documentary.

Central

The moon has been moving away from the earth for a looong time. Each year it moves about 4cm away from us.

In the past, our days were shorter and the moon appeared much, much larger in the sky. That meant that its effect upon earth was stronger - tides were greater. Other objects in space have a gratitational effect on others - the sun affects us but is much further away than the moon.

In future, our day and month length will alter significantly but we'll all be dead, before clocks, calendars etc need to be changed.

Halifax

"What is it, that confirms to you, that space exists, and is reachable by humans?

What?

LOL"

Hmm.

I'm thinking this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4

Glastonbury

What?

LOL

Hmm.

I'm thinking this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4"

Dude, see you and raise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnEcJyjkYD4

Halifax

What?

LOL

Hmm.

I'm thinking this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnEcJyjkYD4"

Oh eck. FIVE minutes!?! Me (burned)rice needs eating.Will give it a gander in a bit.

What?

LOL

Hmm.

I'm thinking this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnEcJyjkYD4

Oh eck. FIVE minutes!?! Me (burned)rice needs eating.Will give it a gander in a bit."

Conclusive proof of alien life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6CoIwcJ-E&client=mv-vf-uk&safesearch=always

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

Before this body of yours

You were pure soul.

Know yourself apart from your garment. Rumi??

Science says that we are 0.00001 percent matter and 99.99999 percent empty space.

"A fundamental conclusion of the new physics acknowledges that the observer creates the reality. As observers, we are personally involved with the creation of our own reality. Physicists are being forced to admit that the universe is a “mental” construction.

Pioneering physicist Sir James Jeans wrote: “The stream of knowledge is heading toward a non-mechanical reality; the universe begins to look more like a great thought than like a great machine.

Mind no longer appears to be an accidental intruder into the realm of matter, we ought rather hail it as the creator and governor of the realm of matter." (R. C. Henry.)

The Tantric Tea Shop

Neuroscience is making some amazing breakthroughs.....

Disproving what we see/believe as realities

We are going to be in a Ice age within the next 100yrs. The world evolves, that's what makes it humanely possible.

By *uerido55Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Unless you believe it's all a hologram and the earth is flat. Like many do. "

As president of the Flat Earth Society, I am pleased to announce that membership has now reached the four corners of the globe.

The Tantric Tea Shop

As president of the Flat Earth Society, I am pleased to announce that membership has now reached the four corners of the globe.

"

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"

what could really fuck with your mind is that it could be both flat and round at once and no one is 'wrong' x

By *orwegian BlueMan  over a year ago

Iceland, but Aldi is closer..

"I'm not sure what you mean by space? It's definetely out there. "
I believe it's the truth that's out there

Glastonbury

"

LOL

*doffs bowler*

Glastonbury

"I'm not sure what you mean by space? It's definetely out there. I believe it's the truth that's out there "

The Truth is out there!

(in ten increasingly silly seasons)

Glastonbury

"Yes. What else would be out there? The question is what is space made up of? "

Outer space is the closest known approximation to a perfect vacuum. It has effectively no friction, allowing stars, planets and moons to move freely along their ideal orbits.

However, even the deep vacuum of intergalactic space is not devoid of matter, as it contains a few hydrogen atoms per cubic meter.

To me it is obvious, what makes you question it OP?

Manchester

To me it is obvious, what makes you question it OP? "

I have evidence of it; I still have some left in my garage, but there isn't much left since I put the lawn mower away last week!

Manchester

"

However, even the deep vacuum of intergalactic space is not devoid of matter, as it contains a few hydrogen atoms per cubic meter.

"

So we know "what's the matter" what we need to know now is "does it matter"?

Glastonbury

"

So we know "what's the matter" what we need to know now is "does it matter"?"

Yeah, then we get into the tricky problem of Hubble's observation that there isn't enough visible matter in the universe to account for the rotation of galaxies, amongst other things...

And we're into the realms of Dark Matter and Dark Energy (which I am personally skeptical of, not that I'm a physicist).

Anyway, 95% of the universe is missing

"Anyway, 95% of the universe is missing "

Only 15% is missing, 80% is made of socks that escaped from washing machines.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

"I've been close to it and my belief in its existence is based on published scientific research which seems to back up my beliefs. The moon, the sun, other planets and stars all seem distant from us, with space in between.

Flat earthers believe the sun is only about 3,000 miles away

"

Define flat. And while you're at it define straight in terms of a 'curved space' universe.

You can't say the world either is or isn't 'flat' without defining what 'flat' is.

"Yes. What else would be out there? The question is what is space made up of?

Outer space is the closest known approximation to a perfect vacuum. It has effectively no friction, allowing stars, planets and moons to move freely along their ideal orbits.

"

How can there be nothing? What is the nothing that heavenly bodies float in?

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

Space is between the ears of Brexit voters

Glastonbury

How can there be nothing? What is the nothing that heavenly bodies float in? "

As stated, an almost perfect vacuum, ie an absence of matter.

The objects you mention - stars, planets, satellites &c - don't float as such but are held, pulled or rotate around each other by gravity with effectively no friction.

Widnes

There gravity in space. Gravity exists everywhere in the universe and is what ultimately causes the creation of everything. The reasons why objects may appear to be weightless in space is because all the nearby objects are falling towards a centre of gravity at the same rate/speed. A bit like when you're sifting in a car, relative to the moving car you feel motionless but you are in fact moving at the same speed as the car. When sitting in the space station you are in fact falling towards earth but the space station is falling towards earth at the same speed, so you feel weightless.

The next question to ask is, if you and the space station are constantly falling towards the earth why don't they ever hit the earth?

Glastonbury

"If there's no gravity in space why don't all the planets float away?

There gravity in space. Gravity exists everywhere in the universe and is what ultimately causes the creation of everything. The reasons why objects may appear to be weightless in space is because all the nearby objects are falling towards a centre of gravity at the same rate/speed. A bit like when you're sifting in a car, relative to the moving car you feel motionless but you are in fact moving at the same speed as the car. When sitting in the space station you are in fact falling towards earth but the space station is falling towards earth at the same speed, so you feel weightless.

The next question to ask is, if you and the space station are constantly falling towards the earth why don't they ever hit the earth?"

A balancing act between gravity & velocity

The truth is us none important people will never reall know if there is or isn't anything out there. We get taught to believe space is real yet only selected few get to go, surely if man can make rockets that can go to the moon an back y dont we explore it more often?

Glastonbury

"The truth is us none important people will never reall know if there is or isn't anything out there. We get taught to believe space is real yet only selected few get to go, surely if man can make rockets that can go to the moon an back y dont we explore it more often? "

Cool story bro

Widnes

"

Just because something maybe flat does not mean it has to have either corners or edges. In fact something can be both flat (or straight) and curved at the same time. If you want to even begin to understand the nature of space and the universe you have get your head around that concept first.

Widnes

what could really fuck with your mind is that it could be both flat and round at once and no one is 'wrong' x"

this

Widnes

To me it is obvious, what makes you question it OP? "

If it was really obvious then people would have always believed that 'space' existed whereas, in reality, for most of human existence they did not.

There's lots of space in my nice big comfy bed, and I can prove it.

If I can obtain a couple of female volunteers to join me in my nice big comfy bed, I'm sure they'd both agree that there would even be enough space for one more...

Kent

Just because something maybe flat does not mean it has to have either corners or edges. In fact something can be both flat (or straight) and curved at the same time. If you want to even begin to understand the nature of space and the universe you have get your head around that concept first."

Space is non Euclidean?

Glastonbury

"There's lots of space in my nice big comfy bed, and I can prove it.

If I can obtain a couple of female volunteers to join me in my nice big comfy bed, I'm sure they'd both agree that there would even be enough space for one more... "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc

Widnes

How can there be nothing? What is the nothing that heavenly bodies float in? "

They don't float, they all fall towards the strongest centre of gravity. The moon is constantly falling towards the earth (even if it is getting further away), the earth and all planets in the solar system are constantly falling towards the sun, and the sun is constantly falling towards the centre of the Milkyway.

Widnes

"If there's no gravity in space why don't all the planets float away?

The next question to ask is, if you and the space station are constantly falling towards the earth why don't they ever hit the earth?

A balancing act between gravity & velocity"

In practice yes but in terms of physics it's because the point on the earths surface that it is falling towards is falling away from it at the same rate.

Widnes

Just because something maybe flat does not mean it has to have either corners or edges. In fact something can be both flat (or straight) and curved at the same time. If you want to even begin to understand the nature of space and the universe you have get your head around that concept first.

Space is non Euclidean?"

I think it is, at least in terms of Newtonian Gravity, which is as far as we need to go when working out orbits. It has more to do with varying perspectives in a multidimensional universe.

Kent

So how fast is a fly flying in a train carriage travelling at 100mph

By *ildbillkidMan  over a year ago

where the road goes on forever

Give me some space!

To me it is obvious, what makes you question it OP?

If it was really obvious then people would have always believed that 'space' existed whereas, in reality, for most of human existence they did not. "

I think you will find that in all human existence the realisation of a gap between planets moons and sun's has been believed in. what went round what was questioned, along with the shapes of the objects. But pretty sure all belief has had a gap between which we currently call space in English.

"The truth is us none important people will never reall know if there is or isn't anything out there. We get taught to believe space is real yet only selected few get to go, surely if man can make rockets that can go to the moon an back y dont we explore it more often?

"

Quite simply it's a bit dull, bit like many seaside towns in England, you have the ability to go... once upon a time people did go, but it's pretty dull, so why go back.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

It's called space because there's lots of it.

Not sure that the existence of the solar system and 'space' is a belief based thing. It's there. Fact. I used to work for the ESA, trust me we're not spending gazillions designing and building satellites to hide them in the shed!

By *aucy tiggerWoman  over a year ago

Back where I belong

I have plenty of space in my king size bed lol xx

"Not sure that the existence of the solar system and 'space' is a belief based thing. It's there. Fact. I used to work for the ESA, trust me we're not spending gazillions designing and building satellites to hide them in the shed! "

Some people think it's a conspiracy - seriously - the internet is full of it

Well Star Trek can't be wrong? Let's face it they designed stuff on the series way before we even thought about it, like tablets and iPads etc!! So with that scientific analysis I would say I believe in space and maybe aliens because it's a big assed sky up their and we can't be the only ones to use it.

G x

This subject make my brain hurt..

The theory of relatively explains what we understand in nature.

An objects size and mass has a direct effect on space and bends space around it.

The greater the mass, the greater the effect on space.

An object of infinite mass and infinitely small size apparently can "break" space, a so called black hole.

This is where the theory breaks down as infinity does not exist.

The theory also only works on a 2d plane where as space is 3 dimensionsal with infinite degrees of freedom.

Space is also ever expanding, but into what???

Therefore, for space to expand into a void, it must consist of matter, one that we are yet to be able to detect or measure.

The best theory for space is that it is like a ring doughnut,ever growing with a infinite mass at its centre holding the whole thing together.

This also means that within this void, other universes can co exist, either as separate entities or harmonics of the this one.

It's all very complex and not worth worrying about. It's there and we aren't clever enough to understand it.

"

It's all very complex and not worth worrying about. It's there and we aren't clever enough to understand it."

The great physicist Richard Feynman once said we can't truly understand something until we can make it. There is more than a grain of truth in it.

With current technologies, we can only look at a maximum of 14 billion light years in distance. In other words, back to the Big Bang.

The truth is, we don't know, but can only make the best guess. It's like the Jonny Nash song. More questions than answers.

My guess is that the more we understand of the minute stuff like sub atomic particles and such like, the more we will understand the universe.

But, whilst space expands in all directions as there always has to be something else, infinity goes the other way too. There is always something smaller.

How can you read the words "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.." And not possibly believe?

I study physics and have come to a theory myself

I have kind of heard of the concept of it so did a little bit of studying

But I am interested in quantum computing at the mo and basically I do not no a lot about it but I do know one of the basic principles is that in a normal computer there is a few pathways that can be checked by the electrons sent through the system so it will quickly check as many pathways as possible until it find the right one pretty quick but for somethings with a lot of pathways it would be impossible to do this

But with a quantum computer the electrons can go into superposition which means they can be in different places at the same time so they can check loads of path was simultaneously and find the right one

If we was a in a simulation then if they programed us in a way so that we could reason with ourself by when we are put into a certain situation we can run through lots of logical out comes simultaneously which can change due to the path we took to get there so the out come is a product of the pathway that we followed to get there so it can always change due to the route we take. So if we where programmed in a way that we can reason with our selfs like a consciousness and the reasoning comes via a series of pathway we have chosen before. Then that might be the difference between a game and reality we feel if you get what I am saying

leads me back to string theory and what that says that there is a infinite amount of universes with a infinite amount of outcomes

Which would be bonkers to believe seeing how much big the universe is but if the universe was a simulation and then thats not hard to believe and as a quantum compute can compute infinite out comes simultaneously which is not hard to believe as this could happen in a very small space at the same time

The problem is we can not imagine being in one place in the same time or making a sandwhich in the kitchen while doing the gardening whilst being on holiday in skeg at the same finite point in time but in quantum physics this happens alot

"I have kind of heard of the concept of it so did a little bit of studying

But I am interested in quantum computing at the mo and basically I do not no a lot about it but I do know one of the basic principles is that in a normal computer there is a few pathways that can be checked by the electrons sent through the system so it will quickly check as many pathways as possible until it find the right one pretty quick but for somethings with a lot of pathways it would be impossible to do this

But with a quantum computer the electrons can go into superposition which means they can be in different places at the same time so they can check loads of path was simultaneously and find the right one

If we was a in a simulation then if they programed us in a way so that we could reason with ourself by when we are put into a certain situation we can run through lots of logical out comes simultaneously which can change due to the path we took to get there so the out come is a product of the pathway that we followed to get there so it can always change due to the route we take. So if we where programmed in a way that we can reason with our selfs like a consciousness and the reasoning comes via a series of pathway we have chosen before. Then that might be the difference between a game and reality we feel if you get what I am saying

"

I'm not picking holes. But the big question then, has to be who is 'they'? So we are back to intelligent design. And regarding who 'they' are. Where did they come from? And what's beyond them?

And I'm not looking for a row, but I love the theoretical physics questions.

Not at all you are right to ask but with this question

I am afraid there would have to be a they a god a more intelegent race with a greater technology

Manchester

"

It's all very complex and not worth worrying about. It's there and we aren't clever enough to understand it.

The great physicist Richard Feynman once said we can't truly understand something until we can make it. There is more than a grain of truth in it.

With current technologies, we can only look at a maximum of 14 billion light years in distance. In other words, back to the Big Bang.

The truth is, we don't know, but can only make the best guess. It's like the Jonny Nash song. More questions than answers.

My guess is that the more we understand of the minute stuff like sub atomic particles and such like, the more we will understand the universe.

But, whilst space expands in all directions as there always has to be something else, infinity goes the other way too. There is always something smaller."

Infinity goes the other way? Infinity goes the other way too and at the same time.

Consider this:

"Mummy,, I love you one hundred"

"Daddy, I love you one hundred"

"And we love you one more than any number you can think of!"

How much do Mummy & Daddy love the child?

+1

+

+

That is infinity!

Glastonbury

"Not at all you are right to ask but with this question

I am afraid there would have to be a they a god a more intelegent race with a greater technology

"

I was quite intrigued by your theory until we got to this paragraph

Well tbh if there was to be a infinte amount of simulation there would have to be someone who is running them

Someone who design the technology

There would have to be someone call it god or a more superior race

There would have to be something

"The aliens that gave me my first anal probe"

Oooooh! I want one of those! Is there a waiting list?

"Well tbh if there was to be a infinte amount of simulation there would have to be someone who is running them

"

But are they in a simulation?

No I would believe not

I would not see the point of a simulation running a simulation

That would be a entangled web of crazieness

But this is physics

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

As overwhelming evidence says it does, what makes you think it doesn't? & what evidence donyou have for it?

"Well tbh if there was to be a infinte amount of simulation there would have to be someone who is running them

"

And that makes the entire theory just silly.

Your concept of quantum computing is wrong, and why? it's like you have thrown out all logical observable fact just to reinvent god as a geek

Glastonbury

All together now...

Galaxy Song - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

ive seen space on telly,shows like star trek prove it.

Why is it wrong and why is it silly?

And I am a atheist I am just saying what ever you want to call it

"Why is it wrong and why is it silly?

And I am a atheist I am just saying what ever you want to call it "

there is no space, there is no god and we don't exist.. We are all the creation of the over active dream of a single cell organism floating on the breeze of time...

We will be gone when it awakes.

Manchester

"Why is it wrong and why is it silly?

And I am a atheist I am just saying what ever you want to call it there is no space, there is no god and we don't exist.. We are all the creation of the over active dream of a single cell organism floating on the breeze of time...

We will be gone when it awakes."

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Halifax

What?

LOL

Hmm.

I'm thinking this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnEcJyjkYD4"

I like the way he says 'Moon,'plus the $110 billion dollar angle is intriguing.

I like them choral singers in the background too.

I have images in my head....

london

"

But, whilst space expands in all directions as there always has to be something else, infinity goes the other way too. There is always something smaller.

Infinity goes the other way? Infinity goes the other way too and at the same time.

Consider this:

"Mummy,, I love you one hundred"

"Daddy, I love you one hundred"

"And we love you one more than any number you can think of!"

How much do Mummy & Daddy love the child?

+1

+

+

That is infinity!"

If we wrote the infinity of numbers down one to a page we would need an infinite number of pages. But if we wrote them two to a page how many pages would we need? Answers on a (or more) postcard(s) to the OP.

"That is infinity!

If we wrote the infinity of numbers down one to a page we would need an infinite number of pages. But if we wrote them two to a page how many pages would we need? Answers on a (or more) postcard(s) to the OP."

Quite simple you would still need an infinite number of pages, if you could ever stop then it wouldn't be infinite.

So probably best not to start really.

"That is infinity!

If we wrote the infinity of numbers down one to a page we would need an infinite number of pages. But if we wrote them two to a page how many pages would we need? Answers on a (or more) postcard(s) to the OP.

Quite simple you would still need an infinite number of pages, if you could ever stop then it wouldn't be infinite.

So probably best not to start really. "

Plus you would need an infinite amount of time and according to most Astro physicists our universe is finite and will eventually die, so definitely not worth starting

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Space is so easily reachable by humans.

1. Open wardrobe door.

2. Look at squashed clothes and shoes

3. Throw the fuckers out.

Result ! More SPACEY space space to fill up again.

I Luv Space.

"That is infinity!

Plus you would need an infinite amount of time and according to most Astro physicists our universe is finite and will eventually die, so definitely not worth starting "

Our current understanding is that the universe is never ending, so therefore infinite.

However, you're right to a certain extent that eventually the universe will die a heat death. In other words the stars effectively run out of fuel. There are though many other theories as to what the future holds.

At least we probably won't be here to see it!

Unless the universe stops expanding and contracting

Then it would start to fuse elements back together

Or squash everything back down and to start another big bang

Manchester

"

Plus you would need an infinite amount of time and according to most Astro physicists our universe is finite and will eventually die,

so definitely not worth starting "

What an unambitious bunch of quitters.

Are you never up for a challenge???

lol

Manchester

Space is so easily reachable by humans.

1. Open wardrobe door.

2. Look at squashed clothes and shoes

3. Throw the fuckers out.

Result ! More SPACEY space space to fill up again.

I Luv Space. "

But space is finite just the same.

You haven't actually made any space in the wardrobe.

All you've done is move some space from outside the wardrobe to inside the wardrobe.

By *bsinthe_boyMan  over a year ago

Luton

I have a physics degree and a telescope.

Manchester

"I have a physics degree and a telescope."

I've got a microscope and an LP by The Three Degrees!

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Yes. Now that I've cleared out my wardrobe I can confirm there's lots of space. And I can easily reach it with just one hand.

There.

Problem solved.

london

"Unless the universe stops expanding and contracting

Or squash everything back down and to start another big bang "

So at the moment of the final singularity where is there room for infinity?

So at the moment of the final singularity where is there room for infinity?"

How many zeros in zero?

Glastonbury

I think I just went slightly weak at the knees

Glastonbury

How many zeros in zero?

"

Glastonbury

How many zeros in zero?

1"

Zer*o*

But who is going to be able to type "told you so"

london

When the universe is compressed below the Planck length the uncertaincy principle will reign supreme.

» Add a new message to this topic