"Sorry OP but already a post about this "

And?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"watching a telly prog on gays in uganda

"it all started with adam and eve not adam and steve or aida and eve" pmsl

but on a serious note would hate to be gay there"

There is a lot of bigotry in many country's. The religious zealots of many religions have a lot to answer for drumming up hatred. It is made worse because many can't get out of the country either.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I never watched it so can't comment on it I never watched it for a reason small minded bigots

It is appalling that one human being can treat another so badly just because of their sexuality.

I would have switched off 1/2 way through it would have made me sick

[Removed by poster at 14/02/11 23:52:56]

"It is appalling that one human being can treat another so badly just because of their sexuality. "

It happens in many areas. Some people are bigoted and will pick on people for the smallest of reasons.

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"It is appalling that one human being can treat another so badly just because of their sexuality.

It happens in many areas. Some people are bigoted and will pick on people for the smallest of reasons. "

There are to this day, States in the U.S.A which are no more enlightened than Uganda.

Interestingly, the 'gay haters' seem to always come at it from a religious standpoint...just like anti-abortion campaigners.

I liken it to Jesus, who, when asked "Are you the son of God?" never thought to reply, "Nope, not me."

If you live in a country like Uganda and are asked if you are gay, you reply, "Nope, not me."

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"

I liken it to Jesus, who, when asked "Are you the son of God?" never thought to reply, "Nope, not me."

If you live in a country like Uganda and are asked if you are gay, you reply, "Nope, not me.""

Or......"Nope not me, but my boyfriend is"

"

If you live in a country like Uganda and are asked if you are gay, you reply, "Nope, not me."

Or......"Nope not me, but my boyfriend is""

or...nope not me..but that's because i'm a fictional character...

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I watched it last night after reading about it and i found it fascinating that some people can be so intolerant of others.... especially the interview with the minister and the radio station interviews.... it was almost as if they had be brainwashed by others...

"I watched it last night after reading about it and i found it fascinating that some people can be so intolerant of others.... especially the interview with the minister and the radio station interviews.... it was almost as if they had be brainwashed by others..."
brainwashed and cant think for themselfs as so poor and if thay did would be singled out ....and alot would put people to death for them being gay ....... its hard to think in 2011 all this is going on in the world .... and over countrys have not stepped in ,,, its a Human Right thing .. i cant get over usa uk even not stepping in ...

Edinburgh

Of course the UK or USA won't step in, we have no economic or geopolitical interest in Uganda.

Even if the place was awash with oil we'd do nothing, we'd rather have an uninterrupted flow of the black stuff.

"Of course the UK or USA won't step in, we have no economic or geopolitical interest in Uganda.

Even if the place was awash with oil we'd do nothing, we'd rather have an uninterrupted flow of the black stuff."

yes but you see them helping other places who need it .... why not them poor people .. UGANDA is like a hell hole and fun by mad people who could do all sorts ,,, not just to gays.

Run ,,,,,,,,, god my spelling is crap ,, Death for being gay locking up for life ...... its not right.

Torquay

Just where do we stop with this hang up about wanting to be the World's Police force?

There are nations all over the world that abuse human rights, we can't expect our troops to keep fighting wars because these nations don't live by the same standards as we do.

To suggest that the US step in somehow is frankly ridiculous.

Where do we stop?

Edinburgh

"Run ,,,,,,,,, god my spelling is crap ,, Death for being gay locking up for life ...... its not right."

Yes.

but if you listed all the countries where inequality and injustice are rife, Uganda would just be another name on the list, not necessarily near the top either.

Another example is Zimbabwe. We spend untold billions doing who knows what in Iraq & Afghanistan with little discernible reason to be in either.

But there isnt a single British soldier in Zimbabwe.

(though to be fair, as tosser colonial rulers there when it was rhodesia, we're probably best keeping our mouths shut anyway)

By *ertnbecky OP   Couple  over a year ago

oldham

it seems the main source of education is church schools and thats where the anti gay attitude is drummed into the kids

I am not saying put our soldiers over there why cant the goverment and places doing somthing thay must as a country get things from over seas ? maybe stop giving them things ... not sure but its not right ... you cant put people to death for being gay or locking them up for life .. not sure what the Answer is ......

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"its hard to think in 2011 all this is going on in the world .... and over countrys have not stepped in ,,, its a Human Right thing .. i cant get over usa uk even not stepping in ..."

Jo, darlin.. I am not sure that Uganda have any meaningful reserves of oil, so the good 'ole US of A won't be interested! Look at Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe! He wrecked the whole country and made it into one of the poorest countries in Africa from being the Bread basket for the whole continent! There were serious breaches of human rights and slaughter of landowners and their workers. No oil! No help!

But they were quick enough to go into Iraq, to avenge “Daddy’s” defeat in the first Gulf war…

"its hard to think in 2011 all this is going on in the world .... and over countrys have not stepped in ,,, its a Human Right thing .. i cant get over usa uk even not stepping in ...

Jo, darlin.. I am not sure that Uganda have any meaningful reserves of oil, so the good 'ole US of A won't be interested! Look at Robert Mugabe in Zimbabwe! He wrecked the whole country and made it into one of the poorest countries in Africa from being the Bread basket for the whole continent! There were serious breaches of human rights and slaughter of landowners and their workers. No oil! No help!

But they were quick enough to go into Iraq, to avenge “Daddy’s” defeat in the first Gulf war…

"

Yes thay sure was quick to go into Iraq your right its all to do with .... oil and if thay can get somthing back then only then thay will do something ... them poor people.

Edinburgh

"I am not saying put our soldiers over there why cant the goverment and places doing somthing thay must as a country get things from over seas ? maybe stop giving them things ... not sure but its not right ... you cant put people to death for being gay or locking them up for life .. not sure what the Answer is ......"

If we 'stop giving them things' or 'introduce sanctions' it always means that the poorest and most needy in the country suffer the most.

Notice how religion keeps cropping up - take God out of the equation & it's a much simpler conversation to have.

Ironically, Africans didn't believe in God until we told them to...

"Just where do we stop with this hang up about wanting to be the World's Police force?

There are nations all over the world that abuse human rights, we can't expect our troops to keep fighting wars because these nations don't live by the same standards as we do.

To suggest that the US step in somehow is frankly ridiculous.

Where do we stop?"

Exactly!

As I said on another post yesterday, only this week I've read comments from members on Fab talking about their dislike of male bi activity in clubs. There have been gay men killed in the UK for no other reason than they're gay. A colleague of mine and his friend were beaten up just before Christmas for doing nothing more than walking arm in arm across Waterloo Bridge!

We need to get off our moral high horses and think we have the divine right to dictate to other countries how they should act/conduct their business.

That said, if there was something of value the West wanted in Uganda, before you could say "Uncle Sam" or "Rule Britannia" they'd be in like Flynn...all in the name of humanitarianism of course!

Between words and war ..theres only sanctions as a tool fer diplomacy ....sanctions are a dubious tool..

Look at the example of Iraq...sanctions reduced a well structered infrastucture to a third world wasteland ....sanctions invariably hurt the citizens hardest ....and ordinarily take a long time ..

Also meaningless, when its not unilateral ....Look at China`s policy of doing "business" with anyone ....

Fer balance ...its not always about oil ....Britains lead in tackling the Balkans geneocide was ethically based ...but I understand the cynism of oil speaks .....Saudi Arabia`s funding of terrorism speaks volumes ...

Things like this will never stop easier to just get on with it we live in a world that's not perfect and it's never going to change. A sad fact but very true.

Some people won't like other people because of their religion, colour, sexuality. We can't change peoples views we can try and educate but that doesn't work either.

Bigots will never change it's their view and no body elses people like that won't see reason ever.

Rant over for today

Edinburgh

"

Rant over for today "

Yer, right.

So what is the Answer ? let it be like the jews ....... let them kill all the gay and clean there country ...... my god i know in Norfolk i live away from alot of people in my own world here. But my dogs and cats and horses get looked after better then them people .

Torquay

Let's look at it another way Jo....The UK steps in and gets involved politically with Uganda over human rights for homosexuals, then the UK gets inundated with asylum seekers from Uganda....tens of thousands of them citing their homosexuality puts them in danger if they are returned to Uganda.

Should we then say, ok as we care so much we will admit them and send them all to......Norfolk?

I don't want to make this an immigration issue because I am generally quite tolerant on that subject, but there are unavoidable connections between political intervention in another nations business and it resulting in increased asylum seekers....often frauduently making asylum claims.

Edinburgh

"Let's look at it another way Jo....The UK steps in and gets involved politically with Uganda over human rights for homosexuals, then the UK gets inundated with asylum seekers from Uganda....tens of thousands of them citing their homosexuality puts them in danger if they are returned to Uganda.

Should we then say, ok as we care so much we will admit them and send them all to......Norfolk?

I don't want to make this an immigration issue because I am generally quite tolerant on that subject, but there are unavoidable connections between political intervention in another nations business and it resulting in increased asylum seekers....often frauduently making asylum claims."

And, to be honest, more importantly, by intervening you are then tied up with both the economical and social situation of the said country for decades and responsible for it's development.

Pissing billions down the drain in the process. Until they kick you out of their country because they never asked you to be there in the 1st place. Colonialism has a terrible record in this respect, and it aint the way to go.

It's a tough old world out there, but you can't save everybody.

"So what is the Answer ? let it be like the jews ....... let them kill all the gay and clean there country ...... my god i know in Norfolk i live away from alot of people in my own world here. But my dogs and cats and horses get looked after better then them people ."

Its Life...brutal and unfair at times ...its good that you care tho....visit Amnesty International or others like it ..tho it can leave you feeling disturbed .....I`m very grateful to be living here ..for all its faults ..Britain is paradise ...

So for example the Nazis murdering over 6 million jews. Now did that evil make a differance to what's happened after that? No. No one learnt from it and people will still do it. Like the Serbs etc. Every gay could be murdered and we'd all say let's never let this happen again like we did with the jews. But it will still happen time and time again.

"Let's look at it another way Jo....The UK steps in and gets involved politically with Uganda over human rights for homosexuals, then the UK gets inundated with asylum seekers from Uganda....tens of thousands of them citing their homosexuality puts them in danger if they are returned to Uganda.

I don't want to make this an immigration issue because I am generally quite tolerant on that subject, but there are unavoidable connections between political intervention in another nations business and it resulting in increased asylum seekers....often frauduently making asylum claims."

Half of my family live in Norfolk. To be honest The area between Narborough and Kings Lynn is just as intolerant as Uganda. Thought he dogging scene is much better.

"So for example the Nazis murdering over 6 million jews. Now did that evil make a differance to what's happened after that? No. No one learnt from it and people will still do it. Like the Serbs etc. Every gay could be murdered and we'd all say let's never let this happen again like we did with the jews. But it will still happen time and time again. "
I know i keep thinking its alot like the jews ,, All this have really given me food for thought here and others posts the way thay see it all too x

I don't want to make this an immigration issue because I am generally quite tolerant on that subject, but there are unavoidable connections between political intervention in another nations business and it resulting in increased asylum seekers....often frauduently making asylum claims.

Half of my family live in Norfolk. To be honest The area between Narborough and Kings Lynn is just as intolerant as Uganda. Thought he dogging scene is much better. "

do i know your family , lol xx i come from ner there say Norwich as think more know it ,,, i am in the out back not even in a village .. x

Until someone as experienced either racism or digs about their sexuality or their religion then they won't know how it feels. I do had dog shit put through my letter box been called a nonce a paedofile just because I'm a man that chooses to wear a dress. It's alot better now and I get no hassle I get the odd name calling

HIV and AIDS are rife in Africa.

Do you think this is the church and governments attempt to try and eradicate them?

Do they perhaps liken these conditions to a biblical plague?

Is brainwashing people into celibacy and hetero sex cheaper and easier than educating them?

*disclaimer*

Only tossing other questions into the pot people.....the question are not indicative of my own feelings.

"HIV and AIDS are rife in Africa.

Do you think this is the church and governments attempt to try and eradicate them?

Do they perhaps liken these conditions to a biblical plague?

Is brainwashing people into celibacy and hetero sex cheaper and easier than educating them?

*disclaimer*

Only tossing other questions into the pot people.....the question are not indicative of my own feelings."

Most cases of HIV/AIDS in Africa are a consequence of hetrosexual sexual activity.

It's simply bigotry and homophobia which is deeply engrained in the culture. Of course bigotry exists everywhere (see the cases of gay men beaten to death in this country) but in a country like Uganda it is less ameliorated by liberal discourse.

Then again homosexuality was illegal in the UK until 1967 so we're hardly saints.

I didn't see the programme. wasn't a ugandan gay rights activist murdered recently because a national paper told its readers it may be a good idea to do so.

and I believe at the mans funeral service the cleric conducting it condemned gays from the pulpit.

Whilst other people are right saying its not our place to intervene militarily we must be doing business of some form with this country..why?

Torquay

[Removed by poster at 15/02/11 12:06:20]

Torquay

We are doing Billions of Pounds of business with one of the world's leading experts of abusing human rights....China.

I would guess that puts any UK/Ugandan trade firmly in the shadows.

"Whilst other people are right saying its not our place to intervene militarily we must be doing business of some form with this country..why?"

There is actually plenty of oil in Uganda. As ever governments weigh up what they stand to gain/lose from trading with another country before formulating their moral stance. As China gets more involved in the continent, expect the UK's 'moral compass' to get less and less action.

Look at Egypt. Suddenly the guy who's been in charge for the last thirty years is rather hilariously revealed as a bad guy now that he's been deposed. Classic doublethink.

[Removed by poster at 15/02/11 12:11:32]

"China.

"

Yeah well give the russians and the americans enough time to get their heads around it and we'll see the biggest military intervention ever.. not that it'll last long

Edinburgh

"We are doing Billions of Pounds of business with one of the world's leading experts of abusing human rights....China.

I would guess that puts any UK/Ugandan trade firmly in the shadows."

The argument with China, and other countries, is that by doing business and engaging with them we are more likely to have an influence and a voice which will be heard by their administration than if we cut them off.

China and human rights is an interesting case in point though. The West, and especially the Western Media, portray China as a repressive communist state. Yet the government in China views itself as encouraging free enterprise and a culture of neo capitalism.

And when the Chinese govt is criticised for human rights/political prisoners and capital punishment they smile sweetly and ask about Guantanamo, water boarding and how many people are on death row in America this year...

» Add a new message to this topic