FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is driving a right or a privilege?

Is driving a right or a privilege?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ig bad OP   Man  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Do you view driving a vehicle as a privilege?

or

Is it your right just because you passed your driver's test at 17? (or whatever age)

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Do you view driving a vehicle as a privilege?

or

Is it your right just because you passed your driver's test at 17? (or whatever age)

"

eh?

has the mrs taken your motor on you?

or

eh?"

I'll give you eh! lol

I was thinking.

Some of the young uns and old uns for that matter once they have a licence see it as a right o be ble to drive on the queens highway. Now i am not saying its wrong but others see it as a privelage to have a licence and have a different mind set.

"has the mrs taken your motor on you?"

Well its more i was out earlier tody and a young herbert was tooting a grandad. The said erbert poped baseball capped head out of Corsa and shouted "Oi grandad you shouldn't be alowed on the road" It got me thinking should he!

I have been without my car for four weeks and I must admit, it has done my head in, I used to think nothing of just jumping in the car and off I went, but at the moment I am having to use public transport, can't wiat to sort another car out

I see it as a priveledge...a licence should be granted to those that demonstrate the capability to drive!...And be grateful that you`re fit to have licence...life sure is different without the ability to drive and have that independence..

And we should sit retests....

"I see it as a priveledge...a licence should be granted to those that demonstrate the capability to drive!...And be grateful that you`re fit to have licence...life sure is different without the ability to drive and have that independence..

And we should sit retests.... "

My. my....Agreed in part..."only part"!!! I hear you say?..... yes!!! in part my dear!,,,,,(well you wouldn't want it any other way.... would you!!!)

I dont think its a privilege to drive a vehicle so much as its an earned concession granted to a person giving them the option to be able to drive a vehicle should they continually abide by the rules and laws of governance relating to the safe operation of such a vehicle which is truly the privilege.

well thats how I see it,,, in my humble little opinion... that is !!!!!

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Rushden

"I see it as a priveledge...a licence should be granted to those that demonstrate the capability to drive!...And be grateful that you`re fit to have licence...life sure is different without the ability to drive and have that independence..

And we should sit retests.... "

I agree, Bro. (lol) And that would also cure that other problem that we have! I think there should be a limit to the number of testswe are allowed to take.. A friend of ours took 8 tests and passed, but she is a god awful driver and I don't think she has the aptitude to drive.

Think of it this way. You get a job that involves some mechanical operation. If you can’t get the hang of that, you are either taken off the machine or if on a trial, told to go. Why do we allow people to take infinite tests, until all comes together just one time?

Driving is a privilege and should be limited to those who have an aptitude for it!

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I think I might wait for Wishy to contribute to this thread!

My. my....Agreed in part..."only part"!!! I hear you say?..... yes!!! in part my dear!,,,,,(well you wouldn't want it any other way.... would you!!!)

I dont think its a privilege to drive a vehicle so much as its an earned concession granted to a person giving them the option to be able to drive a vehicle should they continually abide by the rules and laws of governance relating to the safe operation of such a vehicle which is truly the privilege.

"

Ooh!! Jeez munchkin .....a concession eh !!! ..granting a right ...is that right ...I mean what you mean`t ....bloody tricksy ain`t yer hahaha

Erm...Jeez!! Well now ...yer could be onto something ....tho I do see a licence as a benefit gained ....

There mightn`t be so much t`ween us ...

Keeping me on my toes Soxy ?....good fer you haha

I agree, Bro. (lol) And that would also cure that other problem that we have! I think there should be a limit to the number of testswe are allowed to take.. A friend of ours took 8 tests and passed, but she is a god awful driver and I don't think she has the aptitude to drive.

Think of it this way. You get a job that involves some mechanical operation. If you can’t get the hang of that, you are either taken off the machine or if on a trial, told to go. Why do we allow people to take infinite tests, until all comes together just one time?

Driving is a privilege and should be limited to those who have an aptitude for it!

"

haha hello mucks ......Its a tough one ....I look at some of my neighbours or folks I know in the sticks...and they just about maintain an independence ....taking that licence away would radically alter their life .....But!!...we gota accept life on lifes terms and sometimes that means we can`t expect to do the things we once were capable of ...

I work as a steel erector ...and trained to the hilt ...as I should be ..but any ticket or licence I hold is only valid fer a few years ...I gota retrain ...a regular pain in the arse ..and some may say a scam ...but my view is it keeps me and everyone safe ....and shows I`m competent..

Always seemed ludicrous to me, that peeps can drift into senility without comment ...thats harsh ...but true ...

Rushden

haha hello mucks ......Its a tough one ....I look at some of my neighbours or folks I know in the sticks...and they just about maintain an independence ....taking that licence away would radically alter their life .....But!!...we gota accept life on lifes terms and sometimes that means we can`t expect to do the things we once were capable of ...

I work as a steel erector ...and trained to the hilt ...as I should be ..but any ticket or licence I hold is only valid fer a few years ...I gota retrain ...a regular pain in the arse ..and some may say a scam ...but my view is it keeps me and everyone safe ....and shows I`m competent..

Always seemed ludicrous to me, that peeps can drift into senility without comment ...thats harsh ...but true ..."

Yes matey... Bit harsh to have to retest for anything on a regualr basis, but if you have to retrain on say a fork lift truck every three years, where you are doing that almost every day, how is it OK to drive a car once in a year on holiday and still retain a licence? (another friend!)

Yes, it would be harsh, but perhaps it would make those same people keep their skills honed.

Stay safe (Btw.. Mrs is asking if you are good with erections! )

I’m liking the ideas behind setting a maximum amount on attempts at passing the driving test.... but maybe with the inclusion of some system whereby the person tested should face a differing type of examination where they must demonstrate a more highly scrutinised ability to conquer the elements they've repeatedly failed on in the past.

I'd also be happy to see more permanently removals of the concession to drive from the people who have passed their test but repeatedly tot-up penalty points resulting in them receiving endorsements and temporary bans.....I see no reason why these repeat offenders should be allowed 3rd and forth chances.....

"

Yes matey... Bit harsh to have to retest for anything on a regualr basis, but if you have to retrain on say a fork lift truck every three years, where you are doing that almost every day, how is it OK to drive a car once in a year on holiday and still retain a licence? (another friend!)

Yes, it would be harsh, but perhaps it would make those same people keep their skills honed.

Stay safe (Btw.. Mrs is asking if you are good with erections! )"

haha ...erm..There`s a local scaffolding firm roundabouts whose livery, asserts ...."for a better erection"...a most ignoble moniker ...but one that I firmly attest to tehe ....

I`ve hands on experience with...said erections ......only my own tho ....that`d be a bridge to far ....

Ok ok ....I`m going ...down the corny quip lane ....skips!! ))))).....

[Removed by poster at 08/02/11 15:42:56]

"

....skips!! )))))..... "

Oi….. I think you're perhaps skipping a little too readily there my o'l mate...,,,,,, Skipping is more attune to us slightly camp Bi guys... so lay off the skipp'in right now .... or..... or..... I'll get weely-weely-qwoss and I’ll rip-up that copy of Steel Erections Monthly you loaned me,,,,,

and ya don't wanna see me do that on a Tuesday......

"

After a visit to my brown study ....I think you`ve a better take on it mucks ....an earned right fer the prospective driver ...

Good work

or

"

Its a right if youve got a hot meet through Fab. Though can be a privilege on the way home! Oops!

it's a pain for me as I detest driving but have to as part of my job

By *eppersCouple  over a year ago

telford

Most definitely a privilege and not a right,Some of the idiots on the road these days would do good to remember that it is a privilege too,

"

After a visit to my brown study ....I think you`ve a better take on it mucks ....an earned right fer the prospective driver ...

Good work "

Awww shicks,,,,or shucks even!!!....see that? I even left a typo in......

Hey,,, no need to tell me how good I am.... I've got a mirror,,,,arf arf....

No seriously.... You have a Brown-Room?..... OMG..........we need to talk in private,,,about colours dear,,,, ..... ewwwww .... brown,,,,,how very last year

"

Good work

Awww shicks,,,,or shucks even!!!....see that? I even left a typo in......

Hey,,, no need to tell me how good I am.... I've got a mirror,,,,arf arf....

No seriously.... You have a Brown-Room?..... OMG..........we need to talk in private,,,about colours dear,,,, ..... ewwwww .... brown,,,,,how very last year "

haha ...the spirit is blunt an instrument !! ..ah tis adorned with white heliotrope and shades o myrtle mucks .....a dish here and a dosh there ....rather avant garde I thought ...

Yer make me smile sweetpea

Edinburgh

[Removed by poster at 08/02/11 16:06:35]

Edinburgh

I'm inclined to say that it's a right... I have the right to drive because I sat my test and earned it.

I consider it a privilege to have a car.

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

in my opinion its a privilege to be allowed to drive on the roads a privilege that should b taken away from alot of current drivers ..... New drivers are banned and ordered to resit their test if they reach 6 points within the first 2 yrs .... I would like to see that brought in for everyone .... If u cant abide by the laws u shouldnt be allowed to continue driving ...i'd also add if you are banned more than once or twice you should be banned for life why we continue to allow repeat offenders to be let loose on our roads is beyond me if they havent learnt their lesson the first time or second time then surely they are incapable of doing so just my opinion mind

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

A privalidge and as soon as some of these road hogs realize the better (not saying anyone here is)

Im afraid i would have everyone resit a test every ten years, more banning for repeated offenses and life time ban 20 years in prison for drink driving.

Due to medical reasons im unable to hold a driving license, maybe my opinion would change if i did but i see so many fucking idiots on the road i think i would be scared to drive anyway

By *eppersCouple  over a year ago

telford

Tempnbunk have to say i agree with your comments especially drink drivers, should be banned for ever, one chance you know the penalty,bye bye license,

But what is it with this country,you ban a motorist who hasn't got a licence anyway,then they go and drive again and again, habitual offenders,what should we do with them, if you gave a life time ban they would ignore it and so do drink drivers who offend a second time,unfortunately any deterant is practically uninforcable, short of hanging lol.

the state decided on who drives by the issuing of licenses and the satisfactory completion of the required tests.

so it is a privilege.

doesnt matter if you are taxed to do it.

you need to pass a standard to drive legally on the uk roads.

it is not a god given right.

Edinburgh

Who said anything about God?!

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

"Tempnbunk have to say i agree with your comments especially drink drivers, should be banned for ever, one chance you know the penalty,bye bye license,

But what is it with this country,you ban a motorist who hasn't got a licence anyway,then they go and drive again and again, habitual offenders,what should we do with them, if you gave a life time ban they would ignore it and so do drink drivers who offend a second time,unfortunately any deterant is practically uninforcable, short of hanging lol."

ohh hanging .... Never thot of that hmmmm that just might work lol

a lot has happened since 1903 it is fair to say there are still a lot of drivers around who didn't have to take a test pre 1935 though. So probably it was only a privilege then that - anything else is heavily lawed up and so I think its something you earn then are allowed to keep if you merely comply to those laws.

A brief history of the U.K. driving test: (ignore the brief bit its damned long!)

1903 - Driving Licences are introduced; they originally cost five shillings (25p) and were renewable every three months from the post office.

1930 - Age restrictions and a form of driving test is brought in for disabled drivers. Full licences for disabled drivers valid for a year. The Road Traffic Act 1930 introduces a licensing system for P.S.V.s. (Public Services Vehicles).

1931 - P.S.V. drivers could be required to take a test, at discretion of Traffic Commissioners. First edition of the Highway code introduced.

16th February 1934 - Licences for lorry drivers are introduced under the Road Traffic Act, 1934. The licensing authority may require the applicant to submit to a practical test of their ability.

1935 - Voluntary testing is introduced by the Road Traffic Act, 1934, to avoid a rush of candidates when the test becomes compulsory. Mr. J. Beene is the first person to pass his driving test, at a cost of 7s/6d (37.5p).

1st June 1935 - Compulsory testing brought in for all drivers who started driving on or after 1 April 1934: around 246,000 candidates apply. The pass rate is 63% with 250 examiners taking at least nine, and up to sixteen, half-hour driving tests a day. Examining staff also make all test bookings. There are no test centres, examiners meet candidates at a pre-arranged spot such as a car park or railway station. Anyone buying a driving licence must put ‘L’ plates on the car and eventually take a driving test to get their full licence.

2nd September 1939 - Driving tests suspended for the duration of World War Two and resumed on 1st November 1946. During the war, examiners are designated Traffic Officers and supervise fuel rationing.

1st January 1940 - HGV licences and tests are suspended during World War Two.

18th February 1947 - A period of a year granted for wartime provisional licences to be converted into full licence without passing the test.

1950 - The pass rate for the driving test is 50%.

19th October 1956 - The test fee doubles from 10 shillings, to £1.

24th November 1956 - Testing suspended again during the Suez Crisis. Learners are allowed to drive unaccompanied and examiners help to administer petrol rations. Testing is resumed on 15th April 1957 and has continued uninterrupted ever since.

1959 - Examiner training is transferred to the newly acquired Stanmore Training School. Up until now, examiners have been trained ‘on the job’.

1963 - New grouping systems are introduced for driving tests and driving licences. A distinction is made between the test of competence and the test of fitness. The Road Traffic Act 1962 permits riders to ride motorcycles of more than 250cc after passing their test. Mopeds are placed in their own vehicle group for driving test purposes.

1st May 1965 - The application form for a driving licence is revised. The distance from which a driving test candidate must be able read a number plate is changed to 67 feet for 3 1/8 inch high characters.

10th May 1967 - The Road Safety Act 1967 paves the way for regulations covering the licensing and testing of H.G.V. (Heavy Goods Vehicle) drivers.

2nd July 1968 - The test fee rises to £1.15 shillings.

2nd June 1969 - Vehicles used in the test must not have dual accelerator control unless this has been made inoperable. A separate driving licence group for automatic vehicles is introduced. Candidates are required to produce their provisional driving licence to the examiner at the test and sign the examiner’s attendance record. Examiners may refuse to conduct a test if these requirements are not fulfilled.

25th June 1969 - The Vehicle and Driver Licences Act introduces new regulations, including a licence fee increase and the specification of vehicle groupings for the purposes of driving tests.

4th August 1969 - An up-to-date scheme is introduced for licensing and testing new lorry drivers.

1970 - The new H.G.V. test prompts a change in P.S.V. testing. Until now vehicle inspectors have carried out P.S.V. driving tests: this is taken over by examiners who are now H.G.V. qualified.

1972 - The demand for driving tests rises by 20%, and a further 15% in the following year, leading to a huge backlog of tests.

May 1975 - Candidates no longer have to demonstrate arm signals.

July 1976 - The Driving Establishment for testing examiners moves to Cardington. Newly recruited ‘L’ test examiners undergo four weeks of training.

March 1985 - P.S.V. driving tests become compulsory. Up until now, Traffic Commissioners decided whether local applicants took the test.

1988 - From now on driving tests are conducted under the provisions of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

1st October 1989 - Prompted by allegedly high accident figures, the old-style ‘Part 2’ motorcycle test, where the examiner stands by the roadside, is replaced by the new, more demanding ‘pursuit test’. The examiner now follows the candidate on a motorcycle or in a car and maintains radio contact during the test.

1st April 1990 - The Driving Standards Agency (D.S.A.) is created as an executive agency of the Department for Transport.

1st May 1990 - Examiners give candidates a brief explanation of faults committed during the test, plus advice on areas for improvement.

November 1995 - The 'Pass Plus' scheme is introduced to help newly qualified young drivers gain valuable driving experience and reduce the risk of them being involved in an accident.

1st July 1996 - A separate written theory test is introduced, replacing questions asked about the Highway Code during practical test.

1st January 1997 - A new test category is created for a car with large trailer (B+E). Licence categories and tests are introduced for Direct Access and small motorcycles. The written theory test is introduced for L.G.V. and P.C.V. drivers.

1st March 1997 - Photographic I.D. is now required for both practical and theory tests.

1st June 1997 - If a new driver gains six or more penalty points during the first two years of driving, they lose their licence and must retake both the theory and practical driving test before being allowed back on the roads.

29th September 1997 - For car and motorcycle drivers, the minimum wait between tests of the same category is reintroduced for unsuccessful candidates, set at ten days. For lorry and bus driver testing, a minimum wait of three days between tests of the same category for unsuccessful candidates is introduced.

6th April 1999 - Cars being used for a driving test must now have a front passenger seat belt, head restraint and a rear-view mirror.

4th May 1999 - Changes to the ‘L’ test include extending the length of the test, randomising the emergency stop manoeuvre and failing candidates for committing 16 or more driving faults.

4th January 2000 - The touch-screen theory test is introduced.

1st February 2001 - People gaining a full car licence must now take C.B.T. (Compulsory Basic Training) before being able to ride a moped (50cc or less).

19th December 2001 - Candidates can now book their theory test via the internet.

14th November 2002 - A hazard perception element is introduced into the theory test; this uses video clips to test candidates’ awareness of hazards on the road.

1st September 2003 - 'Show me/Tell me' vehicle safety questions added to the beginning of the driving test.

24th October 2003 - Candidates can now book their practical driving test via the internet

"Who said anything about God?! "

i did. he speaks to me daily

"Who said anything about God?!

i did. he speaks to me daily "

Step away from the keyboard!

Edinburgh

"Who said anything about God?!

i did. he speaks to me daily

Step away from the keyboard!"

Agreed!

By *etitesaraTV/TS  over a year ago

rochdale

"A privalidge and as soon as some of these road hogs realize the better (not saying anyone here is)

Im afraid i would have everyone resit a test every ten years, more banning for repeated offenses and life time ban 20 years in prison for drink driving.

Due to medical reasons im unable to hold a driving license, maybe my opinion would change if i did but i see so many fucking idiots on the road i think i would be scared to drive anyway"

+1

i wonder how many people who have had a licence for over 30years would do if they had to re take a test.

Edinburgh

"i wonder how many people who have had a licence for over 30years would do if they had to re take a test.

"

Fail most likely!

everyone has a right to drive

or

"

apparently it is a general right even for those who have not taken a test, bought a car, paid road tax and insurance, if they can nick one.

It is a privilage IMHO.

Edinburgh

or

apparently it is a general right even for those who have not taken a test, bought a car, paid road tax and insurance, if they can nick one."

Oh please... behave!!

It's not a general right. Everyone has the right to the opportunity to sit a test and drive legally. I'm fairly sure we're not discussing the eejits who break the law, or indeed that's not what I took from the OP, apologies if that's what was intended, I clearly read it wrong.

Is it not both?

Privilege.

I'm a cyclist. Yesterday I was hit from behind whilst stationary in traffic. He tried to flee the scene (in rush hour London, kinda sums up his intelligence!), he then said I had reversed into him(wtf?) and that he hadnt stopped as I looked ok.

Nothing broken, badly bruised and aware I was lucky in the extreme. He never apologised or asked if I was ok. Idiots like him should not be on our roads - end of.

Drivers should face much harder punishments, resit after a ban, second ban = life. You have to be an idiot to get banned twice so what argument against that is there? Much harsher punishments for those that kill when d*unk or speeding.

"Privilege.

I'm a cyclist. Yesterday I was hit from behind whilst stationary in traffic. He tried to flee the scene (in rush hour London, kinda sums up his intelligence!), he then said I had reversed into him(wtf?) and that he hadnt stopped as I looked ok.

Nothing broken, badly bruised and aware I was lucky in the extreme. He never apologised or asked if I was ok. Idiots like him should not be on our roads - end of.

Drivers should face much harder punishments, resit after a ban, second ban = life. You have to be an idiot to get banned twice so what argument against that is there? Much harsher punishments for those that kill when d*unk or speeding.

"

Christ im really sorry, hope you are okay now "hugs"

On another note though, ive been driving down the road and had a cyclist pull out of a turning without looking, and at a red light in town, a cyclist rides straight through it every day, yet i in a car would get a ticket, he wont, and i dread to think what would happen if a car was coming the other way and didnt see him until it was too late

Oh yes and im one of those drivers thats always considerate to cyclists and motorcyclists too

rochdale

"Privilege.

"

As a fellow cyclist i agree completely.

Too many people out there using the roads with no understanding of how dangerous their actions are/can be to other road users.

Hope you & your bike are ok - did you get his details?

rochdale

"everyone has a right to drive"

Sorry but i disagree.

Everyone has the right to take lessons & sit a driving test. If they pass the test they are awarded the privilege of driving a motor vehicle on public roads. That privilege is bound by rules, restrictions & regulations and can be rescinded at any time for breach of those rules and regulations.

Rights cannot be curtailed, privileges can.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Maybe we should follow the leads of several other countries and force all cyclists over the age of 16 to be insured to use the public highway?

rochdale

"Maybe we should follow the leads of several other countries and force all cyclists over the age of 16 to be insured to use the public highway?

"

I think you'll find that a lot of cyclists carry insurance as part of their household insurance, some carry specific insurance from clubs and/or membership of the ctc for example.

Been brought up many times, not cost effective for the amount of damage caused/potentially caused by cycles when compared to the damage/potential damage from motor vehicles.

Anyway, what has cycling to do with the 'right' or otherwise to drive a motor vehicle?

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's a right for me.

But a privilege for everyone else.

Ans I should be the person who decides who can and who can't.

End of.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Maybe we should follow the leads of several other countries and force all cyclists over the age of 16 to be insured to use the public highway?

I think you'll find that a lot of cyclists carry insurance as part of their household insurance, some carry specific insurance from clubs and/or membership of the ctc for example.

Been brought up many times, not cost effective for the amount of damage caused/potentially caused by cycles when compared to the damage/potential damage from motor vehicles.

Anyway, what has cycling to do with the 'right' or otherwise to drive a motor vehicle?"

I think you will find that you brought cycling up before I posted....unless I am mistaken.

And cyclists do also cause accidents, hence the reason for them to be insured so that in the case of a cyclist being found liable for causing an accident the motorist can be paid out by the cyclists insurer.

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

With the rising cost of petrol and diesel it will be a privelige of the rich before long

rochdale

Anyway, what has cycling to do with the 'right' or otherwise to drive a motor vehicle?

I think you will find that you brought cycling up before I posted....unless I am mistaken.

And cyclists do also cause accidents, hence the reason for them to be insured so that in the case of a cyclist being found liable for causing an accident the motorist can be paid out by the cyclists insurer."

Actually, cycling was brought up by an earlier poster.

It's been looked into many times by several Govts. Deemed not cost effective as a forced condition ala motor insurance. Insurance is always a good idea anyway, just not a practically-enforcable one.

Its a privilege i think not a right the same as many other things. Just because you passed a test how ever long ago doesn't mean your fit to still do it. Regular retests would be good thing for the future.

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

as a professinal driver I see it as a privelidge

IT costs a lot of money to get your license,

so unless you are a complete idiot you do everything in your power to keep that licence

I passed my test aged 18, back in the 80s am now 44 and in that time, have had two speeding tickets, both fairly, i was last one was over 20 years ago

and one parking ticket, that was recently as i misheard what the parking warden said to me as i pulled up, ddidnt argue it he was right.

as for cyclists dont get me started,

why do so mane for instance ignore red traffic lights, they do apply to you as well as motorised traffic you know

or

apparently it is a general right even for those who have not taken a test, bought a car, paid road tax and insurance, if they can nick one.

Oh please... behave!!

It's not a general right. Everyone has the right to the opportunity to sit a test and drive legally. I'm fairly sure we're not discussing the eejits who break the law, or indeed that's not what I took from the OP, apologies if that's what was intended, I clearly read it wrong. "

ooooooooooooooo get you

rochdale

"as a professinal driver I see it as a privelidge

IT costs a lot of money to get your license,

so unless you are a complete idiot you do everything in your power to keep that licence

I passed my test aged 18, back in the 80s am now 44 and in that time, have had two speeding tickets, both fairly, i was last one was over 20 years ago

and one parking ticket, that was recently as i misheard what the parking warden said to me as i pulled up, ddidnt argue it he was right.

as for cyclists dont get me started,

why do so mane for instance ignore red traffic lights, they do apply to you as well as motorised traffic you know

"

I'm a regular cyclist/commuter and i agree that cyclists are subject to the same rules as ALL other road users.

However, i see at least 4 motorists a day jumping red lights on my commute. I decided to do a little test to see if the perceptions that 'cyclists jump red lights' etc. are valid. (Not particularly scientific i grant you)

In the last two weeks as i have said, i have counted an average of 4 motorists a day jumping red lights - i have not counted amber even though this is still jumping a stop light.

In that time i have not seen a single cyclist jump a red light.

I have seen one cyclist trackstanding in the middle of a box junction which i found ridiculous but having said that, that particular box junction is daily blocked by motorists driving into the box and then stopping.

I do not live & cycle in London however, i am led to believe that it is more common there.

Cyclists are an easy target for those motorists who need a target on which to vent their frustrations regardless of the fact that many, many more motorists daily break the law than do cyclists.

To date i have not yet seen one cyclist using a phone whilst riding on the road (or off for that matter) yet again, i daily see people talking and even texting whilst driving.

Tonight i saw an abmbulance running blue lights & sirens held up from turning right at a junction because a car went through because the driver was texting.

How do i know this? Because i - having heard the sirens & pulled over - watched the car come past me only 4 ft away as the driver held his phone in his lap and had his eyes down looking at it.

These are the fools we all share the roads with but cyclists & pedestrians are more vulnerable to their actions. What will damage or write off your car and leave you with whiplash will seriously injure or even kill a pedestrian or cyclist.

Rushden

Of course Petitesara, your not at all biased! You should come look around our little town. We have a High Street that is one way and while I was down there at 5:15 this afternoon, there were loads and loads of cyclists travelling the wrong way as people came out of work!

At the end of the town there is a particlarly stupid set of traffic lights. Does it worry cyclists? Nah, Up on the pavement, through the pedestrians and between the traffic that has current right of way!

Yes car drivers are also bad, but I can tell you, cyclists are the more stupid breed! If a car hits a cycle, guess who comes of worst? Why do cyclists treat it like some sort of game?

How did we get on to cyclists?? Anyone can have a bike even a 3 yr old and no one will stop you. Anyway we all have views on cyclists. The fact you need to take no test or carry any third party liability is another matter i guess. However its prudent to point out your house insurance does not cover injury caused to another person so best not mislead on that folks, your house insurance covers very little outside the house in the main.

» Add a new message to this topic