FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Joined the gym..

Joined the gym..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Really excited about it..

I'm too large for some of the equipment but they lovely guys are going to get me a personal program and do some one on ones with me to start me off :D

Need to burn fat and build muscle. :D

Apparently punching a punch bag will do the trick :D

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *-angel-XWoman  over a year ago

hell

Do interval training it burns fat all day as well

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple  over a year ago

nr chester

"Really excited about it..

I'm too large for some of the equipment but they lovely guys are going to get me a personal program and do some one on ones with me to start me off :D

Apparently punching a punch bag will do the trick :D "

. Ah that's fab, take it one day at a time and don't worry about having a day off from it, if you push yourself too hard you will end up hating it, good luck with it, Mrs cmy

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Good luck with your training and remember Rome wasn't built in a day, Take your time and enjoy what you are doing, Don't expect instant results

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Good luck with your training and remember Rome wasn't built in a day, Take your time and enjoy what you are doing, Don't expect instant results

"

That and also remember that effort = results. The harder you try, the quicker you'll see them results.

The first step is always the hardest though, so well done.

Cal

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

So thrilled that you are taking these great steps x x you seem to be really on it at the moment x

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Well done. I'm sure you'll see results and feel better in no time.

And yes punching a bag is very good exercise and great stress relief. Free weights are really good for that too.

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Wirral

Great stuff keep the training diary and go when.you don't want to go reward yourself every month by putting fifty pounds a month. As a incentive How to.look.good naked. Enjoy

"So thrilled that you are taking these great steps x x you seem to be really on it at the moment x "

im surrounded by amazing people and just feeling inspired ..

from this site yourself and diamonds :D

my local SW group is massively encouraging and loads of other friends have my back also.

Everything to live for :D

By *helbeeCouple  over a year ago

Nuneaton

Well done for joining a gym I havnt been to the gym for a week due to feeling tired

Enjoy the gym ...

"Great stuff keep the training diary and go when.you don't want to go reward yourself every month by putting fifty pounds a month. As a incentive How to.look.good naked. Enjoy

"

Whats a training diary? just what i do when im at the gym

I was too big for most of the equipment at first so I used to go out for a good brisk 45 minute walk every evening without fail about an hour after my evening meal. It played an absolutely huge part in bumping the first 10st off and it was wasn't long before I was able to do all sorts of other things to help me down under the 20st mark.

"I was too big for most of the equipment at first so I used to go out for a good brisk 45 minute walk every evening without fail about an hour after my evening meal. It played an absolutely huge part in bumping the first 10st off and it was wasn't long before I was able to do all sorts of other things to help me down under the 20st mark."

Wow thats an amazing journey you've had.. hopefully in the next 2 years i'll be a new me

Good luck

A word of caution, you might want to check that the PTs are experienced in supporting someone looking to achieve such significant weightless.

"Good luck

A word of caution, you might want to check that the PTs are experienced in supporting someone looking to achieve such significant weightless. "

ive got an induction with a guy on Tuesday and he will start from scratch and work out what i can/can not do etc.

Dont forget that what you eat plays a massive part in weight loss. I would get some help working out your current calorie intake then aim at reducing it over a few weeks, rather than going in with a full on restrictive calorie diet (hate that word!) Although you would do well to restrict starchy processed carbohydrates and replace with alternatives...again if the PTs are worth anything they should help you with this too.

Everything you do should be aimed at long term sustainable rather than short term. Surround yourself with positive influences and dont be too hard on yourself.

And I will join everyone else on here saying well done and good luck

"Dont forget that what you eat plays a massive part in weight loss. I would get some help working out your current calorie intake then aim at reducing it over a few weeks, rather than going in with a full on restrictive calorie diet (hate that word!) Although you would do well to restrict starchy processed carbohydrates and replace with alternatives...again if the PTs are worth anything they should help you with this too.

Everything you do should be aimed at long term sustainable rather than short term. Surround yourself with positive influences and dont be too hard on yourself.

And I will join everyone else on here saying well done and good luck "

Thanks

Im sticking with the Slimming World weight program, lost 2 stone 13 lb so far in 2 months, just think its time to start with exercise. I do eat carbs on the plan but i feel i need them for energy as ive a very very slow metabolism.

As the gym progresses i can always tweak the plan

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

When I first joined the gym I was too big for some of the equipment and I struggled with the circuit training, but my personal trainer was great and never made me feel self conscious, and the other trainers were great too.

Can't begin to describe how I felt when the gym bunnies, total strangers, stopped by to encourage me and say well done when they noticed my improvement.

You'll notice the difference: go you!

"Dont forget that what you eat plays a massive part in weight loss. I would get some help working out your current calorie intake then aim at reducing it over a few weeks, rather than going in with a full on restrictive calorie diet (hate that word!) Although you would do well to restrict starchy processed carbohydrates and replace with alternatives...again if the PTs are worth anything they should help you with this too.

Thanks

Im sticking with the Slimming World weight program, lost 2 stone 13 lb so far in 2 months, just think its time to start with exercise. I do eat carbs on the plan but i feel i need them for energy as ive a very very slow metabolism.

As the gym progresses i can always tweak the plan "

Good luck with the gym work

Thanks

As the gym progresses i can always tweak the plan "

As you lose and are able to push yourself harder in the gym (dont forget its all relative!) you will find that your metabolism will increase as your body composition changes. Dont be afraid of resistance exercise when you work it into your program. Muscle (although denser) burns calories at a constant rate many times faster than body fat (over 10x faster iirc) and during intense exercise that increases again, and can continue for several hours afterwards.

Just take care to work up to more advanced workout regimes, apart from a risk of injury the biggest risk is that you may feel inadequate and stop...

If all else fails..

Just keep moving, just keep moving, just keep moving

Bet you are humming it

I know that for obvious reasons a lot of larger people feel very self conscious in the gym but in my experience just like others have said people are very supportive and very willing to give help and advice to put you on the right track.

I also found that by starting to talk to a few people and maybe chat a little to fellow regulars you can become a bit more comfortable there over time.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"I know that for obvious reasons a lot of larger people feel very self conscious in the gym but in my experience just like others have said people are very supportive and very willing to give help and advice to put you on the right track.

I also found that by starting to talk to a few people and maybe chat a little to fellow regulars you can become a bit more comfortable there over time.

"

In fairness when you are big, the fact you've actually made the decision to join a gym is a massive step. At that point you don't care about other people, you just want to concentrate on you.

The fact you're supported and encouraged is just an added bonus.

"I know that for obvious reasons a lot of larger people feel very self conscious in the gym but in my experience just like others have said people are very supportive and very willing to give help and advice to put you on the right track.

In fairness when you are big, the fact you've actually made the decision to join a gym is a massive step. At that point you don't care about other people, you just want to concentrate on you.

The fact you're supported and encouraged is just an added bonus."

That's very true..and if you don't take that attitude you wont get anywhere because you need that to drive you on and keep you strong during moments of temptation.

As much as family and friends were very supportive of my efforts people think you're kind of obsessive or being ridiculous when you won't through a weeks hard work out of the window for someone's birthday meal or a special occasion.

A steely resolve is needed to achieve real results.

Just don't change your personality op, that needs no work at all, you are a very nice person

By *ingle Beds LassWoman  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

I've just started back at fitness centre. Working on aqua aerobics and Pilates and will get back to the gym when I feel comfortable. Also doing slimming world.

Good luck with your induction x

"So thrilled that you are taking these great steps x x you seem to be really on it at the moment x

my local SW group is massively encouraging and loads of other friends have my back also.

Everything to live for :D "

I hope you realise you're also an inspiration to others? I know I get a lot from reading your, and others, positive posts.

Her

Well done. That's an admirable and a brave thing to do. Just take it step by step. Your going to do great. X

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"

I totally agree. Though depending on the gym you will find a range of ages and sizes go, so shouldn't feel out of place anyway.

The gym I use has a hugely varied group of people who use it.

The vast majority are friendly and supportive.

Best of luck OP

Nita

I totally agree. Though depending on the gym you will find a range of ages and sizes go, so shouldn't feel out of place anyway.

Best of luck OP

Nita"

Guess im fortunate that ive always had an outgoing personality and im one of those annoying people who will talk to anyone lol

Im now all signed up and got my card.. Had a good chat with two of the leisure centre staff and they said they'd gladly give me some personal training.

Proper induction is Monday.

I was told not to get my heart rate up too much... bit confused as i thought that was the idea to get it going

Best of luck OP

Nita

Guess im fortunate that ive always had an outgoing personality and im one of those annoying people who will talk to anyone lol

Im now all signed up and got my card.. Had a good chat with two of the leisure centre staff and they said they'd gladly give me some personal training.

I was told not to get my heart rate up too much... bit confused as i thought that was the idea to get it going "

The reality is your heart is under a considerable strain already and like any muscle it needs to be trained. It will also take comparitively little effort to raise it.

Out of interest how fit are you at the moment?

[Removed by poster at 26/02/16 19:17:21]

Good for you! I'm trying to get in the habit of going, not going so well because I hate exercise, so I think I may have to get a gym buddy to force me to go.

"So thrilled that you are taking these great steps x x you seem to be really on it at the moment x

Everything to live for :D

I hope you realise you're also an inspiration to others? I know I get a lot from reading your, and others, positive posts.

Her"

I'll second that

Even if you hate water and can't swim this is the best except code there is and you won't put pressure on your joints and you will fit in the pool get a waterproof MP3 player and prepare for hours up and down the pool,eat healthily and you will do it

Best of luck OP

Nita

I was told not to get my heart rate up too much... bit confused as i thought that was the idea to get it going

The reality is your heart is under a considerable strain already and like any muscle it needs to be trained. It will also take comparitively little effort to raise it.

Out of interest how fit are you at the moment? "

question is 'How unfit are you?' is the more realistic Question.

Nov/Dec i couldnt even walk 50m without needing to stop. I was awarded a blue badge in fact.

I now aim to do 5000 steps a day.

My resting heart rate is around 90

Best of luck OP

Nita

Nov/Dec i couldnt even walk 50m without needing to stop. I was awarded a blue badge in fact.

My resting heart rate is around 90 "

I really admire your bravery and honesty on recent threads , I read my post back and feared it sounded blunt.

Your resting heart rate is at least 50% higher than it should be at rest and that's why they are telling you to keep it low while exercising. As you get fitter and continue to lose weight your resting heart rate will drop and your training heart rate will be okay to go higher. I am oversimplifying things but that's the broad principle.

Have you spoken to a doctor about exercise? They will only encourage you but my give you some guidelines.

"

I really admire your bravery and honesty on recent threads , I read my post back and feared it sounded blunt.

Your resting heart rate is at least 50% higher than it should be at rest and that's why they are telling you to keep it low while exercising. As you get fitter and continue to lose weight your resting heart rate will drop and your training heart rate will be okay to go higher. I am oversimplifying things but that's the broad principle.

Have you spoken to a doctor about exercise? They will only encourage you but my give you some guidelines. "

Blunt is good though.. im not one to pussy foot around.. :D

Not spoken to the Dr specifically, but they have always encouraged me and are delighted with the 3 stone weight loss.

Think i understand what you mean about my heart rate. I dont want to go over the top and burn out before ive begun.

I hope i get the bug and enjoy it rather than seeing it as a chore

Not being funny about this, but have you thought about getting a Fitness Tracker ?

A Fitbit or Jawbone ? They've got activity monitors and some have heart rate monitors too.

They'll also have apps to measure what you've done and set yourself attainable goals.

Well worth looking in to

"Not being funny about this, but have you thought about getting a Fitness Tracker ?

A Fitbit or Jawbone ? They've got activity monitors and some have heart rate monitors too.

They'll also have apps to measure what you've done and set yourself attainable goals.

Well worth looking in to "

Briefly did but im not working currently and money doesnt grow on tree's. The gym membership is my luxury at the moment

"Not being funny about this, but have you thought about getting a Fitness Tracker ?

Well worth looking in to

Briefly did but im not working currently and money doesnt grow on tree's. The gym membership is my luxury at the moment "

You've already taken the biggest step which is to accept the seriousness of situation and confront it.

Please don't think you have to put time limits or anything on yourself as you've made a decision to change your life and you have plenty of time..see yourself as a work in progress

But having said that what you could achieve in the short 10 months before christmas or even the next year can change your life forever!

Go for it and don't look back..if you don't have a good week then just do better the next!!

I really wish you all the best and I do truly believe you can do and will do it. It sounds like you've really the same state of mind as I needed to in order to get there myself.

By *ingle Beds LassWoman  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

Well worth looking in to

Briefly did but im not working currently and money doesnt grow on tree's. The gym membership is my luxury at the moment "

If/when you can, they are quite a motivator. I read a blog the other day, the woman is a journalist who works from home so not much walking going on, so when she watched tv, she walks on the spot to get get over 10000. My friend and I have one and are friend on the fitbit 'network' . We also go for a walk once a week as another level of support as she won't go leisure centre Even though I am doing SW I still log my food, exercise and water on myfitnesspal as the fit bit and mfp sync. Just another visual motivator x

"

Please don't think you have to put time limits or anything on yourself as you've made a decision to change your life and you have plenty of time..see yourself as a work in progress

But having said that what you could achieve in the short 10 months before christmas or even the next year can change your life forever!

Go for it and don't look back..if you don't have a good week then just do better the next!!

I really wish you all the best and I do truly believe you can do and will do it. It sounds like you've really the same state of mind as I needed to in order to get there myself."

only target i have set myself is to be 25 stone when me and my daughter go to Butlins in July

I would LOVE to be able to have more energy and not having to park my fat arse on a seat, i wanna be all over the place, exploring the fairground, go for walks on the beach with her,,, hell even get in the swimming pool with her .

Im down pretty much 3 stone and only have another 2 to go. I can achieve that with the diet, but i need to gym work outs to build my fitness so im not so out of breath.

Id LOVE to be able to say 'Thanks Governmnt for the support thats allowed me to get my health back in order, but i will no longer be on ESA as i'll have the drive and energy to get back into work'

By *lashheartMan  over a year ago

shrewsbury

"

I really wish you all the best and I do truly believe you can do and will do it. It sounds like you've really the same state of mind as I needed to in order to get there myself.

only target i have set myself is to be 25 stone when me and my daughter go to Butlins in July

I would LOVE to be able to have more energy and not having to park my fat arse on a seat, i wanna be all over the place, exploring the fairground, go for walks on the beach with her,,, hell even get in the swimming pool with her .

Im down pretty much 3 stone and only have another 2 to go. I can achieve that with the diet, but i need to gym work outs to build my fitness so im not so out of breath.

Id LOVE to be able to say 'Thanks Governmnt for the support thats allowed me to get my health back in order, but i will no longer be on ESA as i'll have the drive and energy to get back into work' "

Your mention of "fat arse on a seat" made me think back to a time about ten years ago when I went to a pizza place with a few mates a wedged myself tightly into the wooden chair.

At the end I stood up and the chair lifted up from the floor stuck round my arse to much hilarity from my fellow diners!!!

[Removed by poster at 26/02/16 21:27:22]

"

Have you spoken to a doctor about exercise? They will only encourage you but my give you some guidelines.

Blunt is good though.. im not one to pussy foot around.. :D

Not spoken to the Dr specifically, but they have always encouraged me and are delighted with the 3 stone weight loss.

Think i understand what you mean about my heart rate. I dont want to go over the top and burn out before ive begun.

I hope i get the bug and enjoy it rather than seeing it as a chore "

You will get the bug, get past your first few gym sessions and you'll get excited like a kid when u know you have gym the next day! ....

By *-angel-XWoman  over a year ago

hell

We both go daily we love it

» Add a new message to this topic