FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ok back to sensible posts....

Ok back to sensible posts....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have found out today that I am type 2 diabetic, now this has really pissed me off as I am a sugar freak!

McDonald's lattee 6 sugars, tea with 3 and coffee at home with carnation condensed milk and also 3 sugars.

How the bloody hell am I going to cut it all out? HELP!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I have found out today that I am type 2 diabetic, now this has really pissed me off as I am a sugar freak!

McDonald's lattee 6 sugars, tea with 3 and coffee at home with carnation condensed milk and also 3 sugars.

How the bloody hell am I going to cut it all out? HELP!! "

Sweetners... That's how I did it, took a while for me to work out how many and had to add milk to my usual black coffee but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't envy you, its going to be hard, but when you think of the consequences its something you just have to do my friend.

Best of British to ya

"I have found out today that I am type 2 diabetic, now this has really pissed me off as I am a sugar freak!

Tea no sugar.

Oh for the love of sugar!

Sweeteners???? Yuk. Would rather go cold turkey

By *r ManxMan  over a year ago

NeverWhere

i cut back on sugar in October, you will get use to it and it is possible to beat typeII with hard work, exercise a good diet and determination

see a good dietitian and sports coach also everyone forgets the best and cheapest form of exercise is walking

Try swapping your hot sugary drinks for hot water & lemon instead ~ no sugar & the lemon is good for you.

Walking is not one of my strong points, I have chronic asthma and can't do too much, maybe a slow stroll on the other hand ?

NeverWhere

"Walking is not one of my strong points, I have chronic asthma and can't do too much, maybe a slow stroll on the other hand ? "

its still exercise and it might help with the asthma

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I suggest chatting to Topsy Rogers about it.

She's type 2 and manages it with a permanent low carb lifestyle. She's done it for years. If anyone can point you towards useful resources, it is she.

She's type 2 and manages it with a permanent low carb lifestyle. She's done it for years. If anyone can point you towards useful resources, it is she."

thanks, will have to ask her.

Doesn't stop the craving for an all milk (Blue of course) coffee before bed though, and with sugar too.

My mother lost her leg 2 years ago because of diabetes. Imagine yourself with one less leg. That might help you keep the sugar intake down

I'm sure you'll do fine, though. There are plenty if good options for diabetics these days.

-Courtney

Any idea how you developed the condition?

Thanks Courtney just wish I had some enthusiasm tonight

By *uny1122Man  over a year ago

longeton

U need to go to ur GP xx

"U need to go to ur GP xx"

I have a hunch he's been already.

She's type 2 and manages it with a permanent low carb lifestyle. She's done it for years. If anyone can point you towards useful resources, it is she.

Doesn't stop the craving for an all milk (Blue of course) coffee before bed though, and with sugar too.

"

I know Topsy's eating regime allows for cream in coffee, so it's not all bad.

Not wanting to give false hope out but there was research into a supervised severe fasting. Looked pretty grim but can reverse diabetis in some cases. You could ask your gp about it

Any idea how you developed the condition?"

Due to my lifestyle, never been one for the gym, and also because of my work, don't move around that much being a driver.

How about putting the money u would spend on sugar into a jar. Then say in 3 or so months treat urself to a break away somewhere. Even if it's a weekend. If the amount of sugar u say u had is anything to go by it should soon add up?

"U need to go to ur GP xx

I have a hunch he's been already."

It's how I found out today! Bloody doctor told me all what I should be doing, said it was all my own doing etc. Hate my doctor

Type 2 possible cure that is

NeverWhere

i never thought i would come off unpasteurised farm milky coffee with 4 sugars

i am down to semi skimmed with no sugar now and ive tried my old one recently and left it it was too sickly

I know Topsy's eating regime allows for cream in coffee, so it's not all bad."

Just done a search dor topsy and nothing found?

It's how I found out today! Bloody doctor told me all what I should be doing, said it was all my own doing etc. Hate my doctor"

Why? He possibly saved your life..

Just done a search dor topsy and nothing found? "

Her profile is hidden at the moment. I've dropped her a message with a link to the thread.

Hopefully she won't mind me bringing her into it.

" i never thought i would come off unpasteurised farm milky coffee with 4 sugars

i am down to semi skimmed with no sugar now and ive tried my old one recently and left it it was too sickly "

That's part of the problem, I love sickly sweet.

The wife can't understand why im so slim still with all that sugar!

Just done a search dor topsy and nothing found?

Her profile is hidden at the moment. I've dropped her a message with a link to the thread.

Hopefully she won't mind me bringing her into it."

By *ohnaronMan  over a year ago

london

I was diagnosed with diabetes there weeks ago and I immediately hit sweet things in the head. Like you I loved sweet things, 2 or 3 bottles a day, would eat family sized trifles, cakes and sweets every day. I used to think sweet things relieved my depression but now I'm avoiding sweet stuff I'm much LESS depressed. I found nibbling Kallo corn cakes (from sainsburys) helped and sipping sparkling Scottish spring water (from sainsnurys)

After 3 weeks craving much reduced so good luck.

Clem... I know what your saying, but he was sooo abrupt about it all, blaming me for my lifestyle etc. .. surely he should be a little more supporting?

"Clem... I know what your saying, but he was sooo abrupt about it all, blaming me for my lifestyle etc. .. surely he should be a little more supporting? "

Looking at my mother, I wish her doctors had been more abrupt.

It's how I found out today! Bloody doctor told me all what I should be doing, said it was all my own doing etc. Hate my doctor"

Well your lifestyle kind of is your doing. You could ignore him but at best you'll die, and you run the risk of all sorts of health problems if you don't manage your blood sugar levels.

A friend who has had unmanaged diabetes for many years recently had to have big sections of skin removed due to deep infected lesions which had caused severe blood poisoning. She was told unless she sorts her blood sugar out, it will keep happening.

She also risks losing limbs. And she's also had to pay tens of thousands of pounds to have ALL her teeth removed and replaced with fakes because her gums receded so badly that her natural teeth fell out. The surgery she needed was extensive.

If your doctor has given you a chance to avoid all this, you should be singing his praises.

" i never thought i would come off unpasteurised farm milky coffee with 4 sugars

i am down to semi skimmed with no sugar now and ive tried my old one recently and left it it was too sickly

That's part of the problem, I love sickly sweet.

The wife can't understand why im so slim still with all that sugar! "

As you've now found out, slim does not mean healthy.

Diabetes is lethal and it can be a really nasty way to go.

I agree, it should be a bit of a wake up call.

Maybe it's just a shock for me today, it's a lot to take in, and being told NO MORE SUGAR is like telling me I will never be allowed to drive again. ... devastating.

I'm a sugar addict too.

I'm currently on a low carb diet, going completely cold turkey on sugar because it's the only way I can do it. I cannot do moderation when it comes to sugar. A little sends me on a huge binge. (In fact, after 2 months of having almost no sugar at all, I fell of the wagon quite spectacularly today).

The reason is that I am seriously overweight and I don't want to develop diabetes.

I am also a couch potato at the moment and I know I have to do something about that too.

A few people are lucky but most can't get away with an unhealthy lifestyle long term.

By *umpleteazerWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

So sorry to hear this. I was diagnosed with type 2 at 29. Cried for 2 days I was so upset lol. Gave up all sugar immediately. After a few weeks the cravings went and I lost loads of weight. Afraid after 2 or 3 years I started to slip and am now quite naughty. Need to get back to avoiding sugar again before something bad happens

"I agree, it should be a bit of a wake up call."

I now feel crappy for falling off the sugar wagon.

Still, tomorrow is another day and my resolve is strong again after this.

"Clem... I know what your saying, but he was sooo abrupt about it all, blaming me for my lifestyle etc. .. surely he should be a little more supporting? "

Who else could your Dr blame for your lifestyle?

london

Don't fret too much about the sugar reduction. It's a million times easier than giving up smoking. I'm amazed his much less I miss sugar after only 3 weeks but back. What will give you a shock is how much sugar there is in almost everything.

It's my choice that I drive for a living, but im not like the usual suspect lorry drivers, big and fat, overweight and slobby.

I am a size 32/34 waist, always thought in was quite healthy (well except for the asthma) and never thought the D word would get me

NeverWhere

"

GPs are very busy, some are down to 4 min appointment times They are still dedicated professionals with a hard job and limited time.So hand holding and time consuming conversations are no longer possible but short, sweet and keeping to the facts, is how it has to be now

"Maybe it's just a shock for me today, it's a lot to take in, and being told NO MORE SUGAR is like telling me I will never be allowed to drive again. ... devastating. "

You'll adjust.

After a few months of low carb eating your tastes will change and you won't enjoy sweet stuff nearly as much. A lot of things will simply be too sweet.

And you'll feel so much better that it will probably seem worth it.

I'm trying to rein myself in here because I am a bit evangelical about the evils of sugar, but refined sugar is more or less a poison, and it's addictive as hell.

It really is not the end of your life. It's the beginning of a new phase. It'll be difficult to start with but it's not as daunting as it seems to you at the moment.

Maybe he thought straight talking was the way forward, that you may respond better?

london

*but should be cut.

"Don't fret too much about the sugar reduction. It's a million times easier than giving up smoking. I'm amazed his much less I miss sugar after only 3 weeks but back. What will give you a shock is how much sugar there is in almost everything. "

Exactly! I now have to look on packs of EVERYTHING to see if im allowed to eat it??

"It's my choice that I drive for a living, but im not like the usual suspect lorry drivers, big and fat, overweight and slobby.

I am a size 32/34 waist, always thought in was quite healthy (well except for the asthma) and never thought the D word would get me "

Driving for a living doesn't have to mean being inactive and it doesn't have to mean a poor, high sugar diet.

Your doctor isn't pointing the finger at your profession. He's rightly pointing out that your lifestyle has caused this, (along, possibly, with some genetic predisposition, etc etc), and it's your lifestyle that's going to have to change to manage it.

He clearly got the point across, so I'd say he's done his job.

Would you have taken it so seriously if he'd gone the sympathetic, hand holding route? Would you not rather know exactly how it is and what you need to do?

Just feel like crying tonight though.... not a manly thing at all, but just soooo depressed at the moment

"Don't fret too much about the sugar reduction. It's a million times easier than giving up smoking. I'm amazed his much less I miss sugar after only 3 weeks but back. What will give you a shock is how much sugar there is in almost everything.

Exactly! I now have to look on packs of EVERYTHING to see if im allowed to eat it??"

You'll soon start to learn what you can have and what you can't.

You will have to adjust to avoiding a lot of processed and convenience food though.

"Just feel like crying tonight though.... not a manly thing at all, but just soooo depressed at the moment "

It'll all be alreet.

"Just feel like crying tonight though.... not a manly thing at all, but just soooo depressed at the moment

It'll all be alreet. "

^ he speaks the truth.

"Just feel like crying tonight though.... not a manly thing at all, but just soooo depressed at the moment "

It gets easier. It really does.

I know it's a shock but you'll adjust, you just need time to take it all in.

Research is the key, find out as much as you can & what help there is to be had

Dumb bloody health crap!

I'm going to bed, thanks to all for advice and support. .. hope for a better day tomorrow

london

Cheer up old been. I have 30 bottles of soft drink to get rid of and an unopened Christmas cake and Angel Delight and sherbet flying saucers.

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

Your GP is a twat. It is not your fault at all.

It is imperative you dump as many carbs as possible and replace them with steak, butter, cream, cheese, lard, ghee, chicken, lurk scratchings. You won't get fat.

Ditch low fat anything. They add sugar to low fat stuff to make it palatable. Get on a low carb diabetes forum and read read read.

T2 is NOT curable but it is controllable. If you don't have a blood glucose monitor, get one.

I bet your doc has you on statins, anti hypertensives and metformin. He gets paid to do that and the chances are, you don't need them.

It's imperative you know what your blood sugar levels are and you know the signs of high and low blood sugars.

DON'T allow your doc to tell you how to run your diabetes, research the fuck out of it and take control. If you are on any medication that directly effects your blood sugars (metformin doesn't), you need to tell the DVLA.

I'm all over the forum with stuff about diabetes, green arrow me.

"Just feel like crying tonight though.... not a manly thing at all, but just soooo depressed at the moment

Cheer up old been. I have 30 bottles of soft drink to get rid of and an unopened Christmas cake and Angel Delight and sherbet flying saucers. "

Tosser!!! Haha

London

Oh and just so you know, diabetes will set you free, you just have to grab it by the balls and nail it.

Checked it at 10pm and was 17.3

"Oh and just so you know, diabetes will set you free, you just have to grab it by the balls and nail it."

^ Listen to her. She's the expert.

Thanks Topsy

"Oh and just so you know, diabetes will set you free, you just have to grab it by the balls and nail it."

All been a shock this evening, only found out at 6pm and don't know anything about it.... yet.

Thanks topsy, may I message you tomorrow when I have had a sleep and feel better

"Oh for the love of sugar!

Sweeteners???? Yuk. Would rather go cold turkey "

The Tesco own brand poppet style ones are very good & tbh it's hard to tell the difference.

You can get half sugar, half Stevia in some stores but you would still be risking high intake of sugars.

Look around, there's plenty of foodstuffs that can now be bought x

London

"Checked it at 10pm and was 17.3

"

Yep, that's high but it's probably been high for a while and you just didn't know. Message me tomorrow, I can't possibly tell you everything but I promise to guide you in the right direction.

"Checked it at 10pm and was 17.3

Yep, that's high but it's probably been high for a while and you just didn't know. Message me tomorrow, I can't possibly tell you everything but I promise to guide you in the right direction."

Thank you, times like this its good to have a supportive forum and advice

NeverWhere

This might have the reputation for being a sex hunting site but there are some amazing and helpful people on here

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

"Oh and just so you know, diabetes will set you free, you just have to grab it by the balls and nail it.

^ Listen to her. She's the expert."

No disrespect to Topsy, but what she says can be of help to herself, but it isn't for everyone. Every person has their own individual circumstances.

I'm T2 diabetic, take Metformin and other drugs and they work for me. My Diabetes is under control.

When I was diagnosed back in 2004, my Doctor didn't believe it and sent in for a Second opinion!

I find it is all a question of balance of food types, getting it right, alongside exercise, changes in lifestyle and so on. I gave up on a lot of sugary filled items, but occasionally will "treat" myself with something I shouldn't have!

For anyone to say negative aspects about their GP, think again. If your GP has said a few home truths, they are doing so in your best interests.

Diabetes can kill if not looked after; it affects virtually part of your body and makes you more susceptible to other illnesses and conditions.

Get into the many support groups online, like Diabetes UK even if to get a load of views and support there. Most GP surgeries have Nurses whose job it is to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

Look at your local NHS and support services there.

To the OP, you have had a shock to your well being, but you can do it; the support is out there, but you have to do a bit of leg work yourself to find it all.

It will work, believe me. Just have some faith in what people say.

Count yourself lucky. I was diagnosed with heart failure at 37, with NO known trigger for the condition.

"Oh and just so you know, diabetes will set you free, you just have to grab it by the balls and nail it.

No disrespect to Topsy, but what she says can be of help to herself, but it isn't for everyone. Every person has their own individual circumstances.

I'm T2 diabetic, take Metformin and other drugs and they work for me. My Diabetes is under control.

When I was diagnosed back in 2004, my Doctor didn't believe it and sent in for a Second opinion!

I find it is all a question of balance of food types, getting it right, alongside exercise, changes in lifestyle and so on. I gave up on a lot of sugary filled items, but occasionally will "treat" myself with something I shouldn't have!

For anyone to say negative aspects about their GP, think again. If your GP has said a few home truths, they are doing so in your best interests.

Diabetes can kill if not looked after; it affects virtually part of your body and makes you more susceptible to other illnesses and conditions.

Get into the many support groups online, like Diabetes UK even if to get a load of views and support there. Most GP surgeries have Nurses whose job it is to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

To the OP, you have had a shock to your well being, but you can do it; the support is out there, but you have to do a bit of leg work yourself to find it all.

It will work, believe me. Just have some faith in what people say."

And Topsy takes no medication at all and has blood sugar levels better than a lot of people who don't have diabetes.

If you're happy taking drugs you don't need in order not to have to make the changes necessary to avoid them, that's fine, but it would be irresponsible not to let other T2s know that they may be able to manage their condition without drugs at all. Whether they choose to is up to them.

Topsy's lifestyle change has had other major benefits too.

So yes, everyone needs to make their own choices, but the fact is that a lot, maybe most, T2s need not take medication in order to manage their condition. Most doctors won't tell anyone that, and will actually, often, fight tooth and nail to discourage people from considering any other option but medication.

It's personal choice how to balance the change of lifestyle with the potential effects of any medication.

And, as Topsy said, there are financial incentives for GPs involved in certain prescribing decisions that they make.

Im going to have to read all this again in the morning, sooo much to take in and too much advice to try and understand.

I do appreciate it all everyone, just need to see what's the best way forward for me

"Im going to have to read all this again in the morning, sooo much to take in and too much advice to try and understand.

I do appreciate it all everyone, just need to see what's the best way forward for me "

I agree completely. As above, research it. I will take time to work out what's right for you. Don't trust your doctor's advice on treatment without doing your own research though.

It's really not as disastrous as you think.

Hull

It will work, believe me. Just have some faith in what people say.

And Topsy takes no medication at all and has blood sugar levels better than a lot of people who don't have diabetes.

If you're happy taking drugs you don't need in order not to have to make the changes necessary to avoid them, that's fine, but it would be irresponsible not to let other T2s know that they may be able to manage their condition without drugs at all. Whether they choose to is up to them.

Topsy's lifestyle change has had other major benefits too.

So yes, everyone needs to make their own choices, but the fact is that a lot, maybe most, T2s need not take medication in order to manage their condition. Most doctors won't tell anyone that, and will actually, often, fight tooth and nail to discourage people from considering any other option but medication.

It's personal choice how to balance the change of lifestyle with the potential effects of any medication.

And, as Topsy said, there are financial incentives for GPs involved in certain prescribing decisions that they make."

I can agree with what you say on her behalf, but surely at this stage, what she has to say to the OP, COULD be of benefit, but as she is not his GP and doesn't know his specific medical condition, specific health history and possible other underlying medical issues, then surely it could be counter productive to suggest the OP should be doing what she suggests?

It is up to the OP to listen to his GP and the medical and online support services and groups at his disposal as well as taking in the advice and support from others and make a balanced decision from thereon.

"I can agree with what you say on her behalf, but surely at this stage, what she has to say to the OP, COULD be of benefit, but as she is not his GP and doesn't know his specific medical condition, specific health history and possible other underlying medical issues, then surely it could be counter productive to suggest the OP should be doing what she suggests?

It is up to the OP to listen to his GP and the medical and online support services and groups at his disposal as well as taking in the advice and support from others and make a balanced decision from thereon"

Sorry, that I can't agree with.

Doctors very often do not give good advice on diabetes treatment and very often their decisions are influenced by financial incentives as well as narrow-mindedness, bull-headedness and ignorance.

Independent research is the way to go.

By all means listen to the GP, but never take their advice as gospel without researching it thoroughly.

Topsy's GP's advice was bullshit. She did her own research and manages her own treatment, medication free.

GPs are great at diagnosing diabetes but very few are particularly great when it comes to treating it.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Metformin may be very useful for getting the condition under control initially, but diet and exercise are the best way to manage it longterm, and can reverse pretty severe insulin resistance. There are also some cheat products out there to help with management - I could not cope without some Atkins products, or would hate to try.

Hull

"I can agree with what you say on her behalf, but surely at this stage, what she has to say to the OP, COULD be of benefit, but as she is not his GP and doesn't know his specific medical condition, specific health history and possible other underlying medical issues, then surely it could be counter productive to suggest the OP should be doing what she suggests?

It is up to the OP to listen to his GP and the medical and online support services and groups at his disposal as well as taking in the advice and support from others and make a balanced decision from thereon

Doctors very often do not give good advice on diabetes treatment and very often their decisions are influenced by financial incentives as well as narrow-mindedness, bull-headedness and ignorance.

By all means listen to the GP, but never take their advice as gospel without researching it thoroughly.

Topsy's GP's advice was bullshit. She did her own research and manages her own treatment, medication free.

GPs are great at diagnosing diabetes but very few are particularly great when it comes to treating it."

So, we have to listen to "Dr Topsy", have we?

Is Topsy a major medical Professional, a renowned expert in her field?

Yes, medicine can get it wrong; one can look at all the research from all sides but it comes down to the individual's own decision as to what route to take.

But for someone to come on here, like yourself, and say earlier on, to listen to Topsy, as she's an expert, is a bit strong.

It suits her in what she has discovered with her condition and how she controls it day to day. But it isn't Gospel that what she says is of absolute benefit for her, isn't or might NOT be for the OP or for anyone else for that matter.

...Up on the Downs

"Metformin may be very useful for getting the condition under control initially, but diet and exercise are the best way to manage it longterm, and can reverse pretty severe insulin resistance. There are also some cheat products out there to help with management - I could not cope without some Atkins products, or would hate to try."

I meant to say diet and exercise are the backbone of good management, or should be. But I am pretty sure there are some diabetics who need medication aswell.

It's simple..control your sugar intake or suffer...the choice is yours.

Any idea how you developed the condition?"

It is up to the OP to listen to his GP and the medical and online support services and groups at his disposal as well as taking in the advice and support from others and make a balanced decision from thereon

GPs are great at diagnosing diabetes but very few are particularly great when it comes to treating it."

Absolutely right , well said

GPs are great at diagnosing diabetes but very few are particularly great when it comes to treating it.

So, we have to listen to "Dr Topsy", have we?

Is Topsy a major medical Professional, a renowned expert in her field?

Yes, medicine can get it wrong; one can look at all the research from all sides but it comes down to the individual's own decision as to what route to take.

But for someone to come on here, like yourself, and say earlier on, to listen to Topsy, as she's an expert, is a bit strong.

It suits her in what she has discovered with her condition and how she controls it day to day. But it isn't Gospel that what she says is of absolute benefit for her, isn't or might NOT be for the OP or for anyone else for that matter.

"

The point is, Topsy has given only very basic advice to the OP, she's NOT told him what to do.

She's researched diabetes over many years now and yes, is an expert on it; far more so than most GPs who are expected to be able to diagnose and treat a huge range or conditions and are rarely an expert on more than one or two.

She'll point the OP in the right direction to do his own research, which is exactly what he needs to decide what's best for him.

Simply telling him his GP knows best and to blindly follow that is ridiculous and unhealthy advice.

If *you* want to blindly follow the advice of a GP and take medication you may not need because it works, that's your call.

Telling other people to just do what their doctor advises is very bad advice. The chances are the doctor is giving very poor advice, for one or more of the reasons I have already mentioned.

It's not necessary to be medically qualified to be completely up-to-date on research on a condition. Being a doctor does not necessarily make a person better informed than someone not medically qualified.

And, incidentally, do you happen to know for a fact Topsy *isn't* a doctor, or medically qualified? You seem to be fairly sure of your assumption.

Still, if you want to carry on tossing medication you may not need down your throat, go right ahead, but please don't try to tell the OP he should do that, if it's what his GP advises. His GP could well tell him crap.

"Metformin may be very useful for getting the condition under control initially, but diet and exercise are the best way to manage it longterm, and can reverse pretty severe insulin resistance. There are also some cheat products out there to help with management - I could not cope without some Atkins products, or would hate to try.

I meant to say diet and exercise are the backbone of good management, or should be. But I am pretty sure there are some diabetics who need medication aswell."

There are, but doctors do tend to try to tell all diabetics they need medication when it simply isn't true.

A lot of people blindly believe what their GP says and don't realise there are other ways.

My father was type II diabetic for many years, never once did his GP recommend he take drugs to control it.

His was controlled by diet. He was regularly checked by the practice diabetes nurse (many practices have them) and annual visits to the Hospital diabetes clinic. They gave him all the information and support he needed to adapt to living with this condition.

OP once you're over the initial shock go back to your practice. You will get support from your doctor I'm sure, IF you choose to accept it, not all GP's are mercenaries pumping drugs into you if it CAN be diet controlled.

NeverWhere

Good morning all ,

I give the same advice to any of my friends and family who have a life changing medical condition.

Which is do your home work, join on line and if possible local support groups that have the condition.

As I said before GP's are over worked and stretched for time, they just don't have time to discuss the ins and out of a patients care.

Most GP surgeries have a diabetic specialist nurse , go and speak to them they know the condition and have a little bit more time to talk things over.

Diabetes that is uncontrolled is a life debilitating condition and ultimately fatal but it can be managed by good diet exercise and medication. Some people are very good at managing it the point that they don't need medication.

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

"Clem... I know what your saying, but he was sooo abrupt about it all, blaming me for my lifestyle etc. .. surely he should be a little more supporting?

Who else could your Dr blame for your lifestyle?"

And he probably felt he had to " shock" you:

I know several GPS and they say it is so difficult to get people to accept low sugar; they just say " yeah,yeah" and don't do anything about it; brutal is often the only way.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Just keep in mind that YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE?

By *helbeeCouple  over a year ago

Nuneaton

I'm on a low fat diet due to gall stones an awaiting an op

I was diagnosed in November 2015 an it was hard i had cut out fatty foods no alcohol. No fizzy pop no pizzas etc etc

I've managed to cut it out all sugars I have sweeter no full sugar..an it was hard at first

I go to the gym too an if u can do it ...im sure u can

Good luck

Well try the cold turkey but honestly sweetners are ok....you can get more natural ones now. Try a few and then cut them down slowly to end up suger/sweetner free in the end.

Good luck

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

My dear friend Mr Marmite I am saddened and shocked to hear your news and sorry I didn't notice this thread last night. You have some wonderful advise here. ( shame people ended up arguing over which way to deal with it and who to believe).

Your GP method of telling you seemed harsh to you. But I must praise him, because it made the impact necessary for you to take note!

Find out all you can.

There will be help and advise from a diabetes nurse at your doctors, diabetes clinic at the hospital and online sources.

Make the diet changes necessary. You will get used to them.

I have chronic health problems and asthma, but have found help regarding a gym programme that I follow. In my area the GP can access free gym sessions for people it will benefit. Maybe walking/ strolling or swimming might suit you.

It doesn't need to be two hours alternate days! 10 minutes stroll morning ,lunchtime, after work and before bed is a start. Then increase the length of time or speed.

Don't think you can't do fitness. Find what you can cope with and then gradually increase.

I am chuffed so many people offered their help and support on here. You know I will do my best to encourage and support you to. You will be far fitter when I venture down to Mingles too

...Up on the Downs

"Metformin may be very useful for getting the condition under control initially, but diet and exercise are the best way to manage it longterm, and can reverse pretty severe insulin resistance. There are also some cheat products out there to help with management - I could not cope without some Atkins products, or would hate to try.

I meant to say diet and exercise are the backbone of good management, or should be. But I am pretty sure there are some diabetics who need medication aswell.

There are, but doctors do tend to try to tell all diabetics they need medication when it simply isn't true.

A lot of people blindly believe what their GP says and don't realise there are other ways."

No argument there. We only use metformin for the worst cases in horses, but it does help get them under control, some we just ue it short term 'til the other ducks are in a row.

By *atnat85Woman  over a year ago

northwest

I feel for you as its a truly horrible disease.

Ask to be referred to a diabetes specialist nurse at the hospital(most have them). The patients I know that see them develop a good relationship. There's also a lot of clinical trials in the hospital setting with new treatments/monitoring techniques.

Good blood sugar control is essential for eyesight too, I see people that haven't had good control (over a 20 year period) and their eyes start to suffer.

Let it sink it and seek help if you need it x

Well I now know why I needed the bloody glasses too!

Please everyone, there's no need to argue over what topsy has said, I have been back to the nurse this morning and had my levels checked, at 11am they were 13.6 which is still high, and I am now on metformin? Tablets to try and bring the levels down.

I eat healthy, not often junk food but good steaks and jacket potatoes, not fried stuff... ok I like my bacon!

This is completely new to me, last night was a wake up call to what I have been doing to my body over the years, not enough sleep, too much work and not enough exercise, but that's all going to change from today!

Time to think about ME for a change and not worry about others.

Thanks again EVERYONE for your advise, it truly is appreciated.

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Good for you! m

I could add a little perspective if you feel you need it. On the plus side, whilst it's a shock to the system, it is entirely treatable. Not everyone is so lucky. I understand that at the moment you perhaps don't care about what other people are going through, that's a perfectly natural reaction but you are alive and can be in control of the disease. It's within the realms of possibility for you to learn to manage it.

London

"Well I now know why I needed the bloody glasses too!

Please everyone, there's no need to argue over what topsy has said, I have been back to the nurse this morning and had my levels checked, at 11am they were 13.6 which is still high, and I am now on metformin? Tablets to try and bring the levels down.

I eat healthy, not often junk food but good steaks and jacket potatoes, not fried stuff... ok I like my bacon!

This is completely new to me, last night was a wake up call to what I have been doing to my body over the years, not enough sleep, too much work and not enough exercise, but that's all going to change from today!

Time to think about ME for a change and not worry about others.

Thanks again EVERYONE for your advise, it truly is appreciated. "

Metformin will not directly affect your levels, it only reduces your average levels by about one point. The biggest thing will be your diet. Dump all carbs, eat steak, bacon, butter, cheese and eggs (amongst other gorgeous things) eat 'clean' there is nothing manufactured you need to eat. Good fats, protein, green veg, dairy, nuts and a bit of fruit.

Check out bulletproof coffee, Taubes, Banting, Weston Price, and the low carb cooking sites (amongst other things )

The levels you are getting my indicate you have T1 and you may want to insist they test you for it.

I say again, nothing you did caused your diabetes, the meeja have a lot of shit to answer for.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

Without meaning to be rude i'm not really surprised you've given yourself diabetes if these are regular sweet treats!

If you'd rather not swap sweetener for sugar just go cold turkey like you said yourself.

London

Without meaning to be rude i'm not really surprised you've given yourself diabetes if these are regular sweet treats!

If you'd rather not swap sweetener for sugar just go cold turkey like you said yourself. "

FFS eating sugar does not give you diabetes. Stop falling for media brainwashing.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Was going to say cold turkey. It does work.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

If you'd rather not swap sweetener for sugar just go cold turkey like you said yourself.

FFS eating sugar does not give you diabetes. Stop falling for media brainwashing."

What does then?

nothing tastes the same but I've cut sugar and salt as an additive out of my diet we naturally produce glucose we don't need it and in your case you have no choice diabetes can be a debilitating illness ,it might be hard but worth it

...Up on the Downs

FFS eating sugar does not give you diabetes."

It certainly can Topsy!!!

» Add a new message to this topic