FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > robert kubica

robert kubica

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

has had a bad crash in a rally car, he may loose his hand, our thoughts are with him

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Yep. Really talented driver1 Hope he recovers!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Just been on multiple F1 sites and early days yet to know what damage to hes hand is but then why was he competing when not long till new season starts?

[Removed by poster at 06/02/11 17:50:45]

"Just been on multiple F1 sites and early days yet to know what damage to hes hand is but then why was he competing when not long till new season starts? "

does seem strange him beeing aloud to rally, this years car looks good to, they needed him this year more than ever

"Just been on multiple F1 sites and early days yet to know what damage to hes hand is but then why was he competing when not long till new season starts?

does seem strange him beeing aloud to rally, this years car looks good to, they needed him this year more than ever"

I was on the understanding the month before new season they couldnt partake in other events but hope he returns

update looks like he should be able to keep his hand, but unlikley he will be able to use it properly

"update looks like he should be able to keep his hand, but unlikley he will be able to use it properly"

not good at all and shame

another update, his hand is not coming off they think they have fixed it, but hes been put into a coma overnight

mmm, dangerous sport.

i wish robert all the best

Friend of a friend has been speaking to someone who works with Kubica. He will keep his hand but wont be able to use it properly for about a year - if he can. There is a clause in his contract that allows him to drive rally cars (so long as its a Renault), as he is also very naturally talented and very much enjoys the more challenging and more interesting sport. And i can back-up that he is 'quite' good for someone with not much experience. Towards end of last year he was leading a rally overall. He was to do rallye de monte carlo in January but renault would not allow this unless it was in a renault, but they do not have a S2000 car (which is the spec of car used on rallye de monte carlo).

And anyway, i do not think he will be much of a loss to Renault as he seems to be 'more' interested in Rallying and may be making a switch within 3years when/if he gets up towards WRC or at least IRC standard. Why 3years? Because if he leaves it any longer he may be too old to be a World Rally Champion. So why doesnt he switch now? Because he earns lots of money doing F1 and is not yet competitive enough to drive at level in rallying where you get paid. Colin (McRae) had his car modified once so he could drive with smashed fingers. Maybe same can be done for Kubica as rally cars are easier modified for drivers than F1 cars.

Wasnt it Kubica who hit a concrete wall in F1 car and badly broke his leg or both legs and come back as strong as ever?

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

He had a nasty crash in Canada a few years back... possibly 2006 or 2007 whilst he was still at Sauber.

Don't think he broke his legs though as I seem to remember he raced again later in the season, but it was then that Vettel got his drive at Sauber.

In fact, it must have been the 2006 season, as Vettel left Sauber for Toro Rosso in 2007.

Anyway, hope Kubica recovers quickly.

"mmm, dangerous sport.

i wish robert all the best"

I have been to 10-20 rallies per year over past 27 years and have witnessed 10-50 crashes per year (bumps, rolls down shear drops, head-ons against trees and walls etc, etc.) and yet i have only witnessed the odd minor injury in the whole 27 years and on each occasion the injured party was 'laughing'! Of course some do get more seriously injured but the serious or sometimes fatal injuries tend to come from mistakes in self safety, ie; not belting up tight enough, intercom batteries not checked before rally to hear correct notes, getting into crash position before impact instead of putting hands on rollcage or roof before impact which causes hands and/or fingers to get crushed!

Of course somekind of mistake was made to cause the crash. But apparently Robert made some kind of mistake through inexperience when the crash actually happened. I cant put the mistake on here as that kind of info is not generally released to the public.

I know drivers and co-drivers who have taken part in the sport up to internation level for between the past 10-30years and all of them together have not had as much injuries nor anywhere near as serious as ive had playing rugby for '5' years. And as my brother has had playing football for 14 years. Yes i know rallying can be a dangerous sport, but nowhere nearly as dangerous as mainstream sports such as rugby and soccer and hockey and horse-riding.

Most highly ranked sportstars of any sport are not allowed to take part in any other sport at any level so as to avoid any unnecessary injuries, but Kubica would not sign for any team unless they let him do rallies that did not clash with the week leading up to an F1 race.

Good luck to Robert with his injuries and best wishes for the future. Rallying welcomes you and so do we at Fabswingers!

I will call someone tomorrow to give you all a hopefully clearer update as to what has happened.

Its a shame as his best weekend to date has just turned into possibly his worst. Think it was Friday he set fastest test time in his lotus-renault. Fernando Alonso was second quickest.

According to the BBC part of a crash barrier penetrated the car and judging by the news footage they have put on youtube he was driving a skoda!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9389148.stm

"According to the BBC part of a crash barrier penetrated the car and judging by the news footage they have put on youtube he was driving a skoda!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9389148.stm"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCl_zPymc9M&feature=related

Eh, Skoda do produce some first class cars, you know

On the news this morning it looks like he is going to miss the entire F1 session, due to the damage he as done to his hand.

By *eighleedsMan  over a year ago

leeds

"Eh, Skoda do produce some first class cars, you know "

They do now Volkswagen own them

but even when it was Skoda of old merriment and mirth, they used to win rallies in the class they were in

Not dissing Skodas, they are fantastic cars, just making an observation after a previous poster mentioned he was only allowed to drive Renaults.

"Not dissing Skodas, they are fantastic cars, just making an observation after a previous poster mentioned he was only allowed to drive Renaults."

skoda sponser the lotus renault f1 team

» Add a new message to this topic