FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is it Possible to be Completely Without any Prejudices?

Is it Possible to be Completely Without any Prejudices?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi - I (male) consider myself to be pretty well balanced and have always taken people as I find them, regardless of age, creed, colour, sexuality etc. I got into a little 'debating' on another thread today and questioned myself as to whether I did, indeed, have any prejudices. If I honestly look myself in the mirror - I have - and it's probably due to a large variety of background factors (mostly around being human). Indeed, a very learned friend of mine will assert that it is impossible for any human being to have no prejudices - due to socio-economic factors, parenting, class, heritage and own life experience etc.

I want people to be completely HONEST here and not play political games for popularity or points scoring. Is it possible for any human being to have no prejudices whatsoever? (i.e. against any other particular type of human being.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think everyone has some prejudice. Or strong opinions. I know I do.

By *r H and Good PetCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

I don't believe it's possible.

For much the same reasons as your friend.

I believe the important thing to do though is to acknowledge that, and adjust your behavior as much as you can, and accept it when people you might be being prejudiced against tells you you are being that.

Which is tough as fuck, obvs.

What colour is a kind heart....?

No its not

"What colour is a kind heart....? "

Blue. Of course.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I don't believe it's possible.

For much the same reasons as your friend.

I believe the important thing to do though is to acknowledge that, and adjust your behavior as much as you can, and accept it when people you might be being prejudiced against tells you you are being that.

Which is tough as fuck, obvs. "

Yes - certainly my learning point from today !

By *aucy tiggerWoman  over a year ago

Back where I belong

Although I'm laid back and generally non prejudicial, I find its the individual o dislike rather than the group - does that make sense? Xx

We all have our prejudices due to, as your friend says, our upbringing, our environment and our life experiences. It all depends how you use those prejudices. If you use them to judge people straight away then you're very blinkard. I believe that sometimes we use prejudices unconsciously as a safety net, but like you, I prefer to judge people on how they are and not who they are. It's a basic fact that we all make presumptions of different people in society rather than just judge them as a person and how they treat you. I always say, treat everyone how you would like to be treated. Unfortunately not everyone is like that which is why we still have racism based on ridiculous stereotypes. Unfortunately some people will never change.

By *usty_n_LustyCouple  over a year ago

Kent

Everyone has a prejudice of some sort sometimes unaware of it until a certain situation xxx

No I don't think it's possible. But I think you can be aware of your prejudices, know they are wrong, and act accordingly.

"Hi - I (male) consider myself to be pretty well balanced and have always taken people as I find them, regardless of age, creed, colour, sexuality etc. I got into a little 'debating' on another thread today and questioned myself as to whether I did, indeed, have any prejudices. If I honestly look myself in the mirror - I have - and it's probably due to a large variety of background factors (mostly around being human). Indeed, a very learned friend of mine will assert that it is impossible for any human being to have no prejudices - due to socio-economic factors, parenting, class, heritage and own life experience

I want people to be completely HONEST here and not play political games for popularity or points scoring. Is it possible for any human being to have no prejudices whatsoever? (i.e. against any other particular type of human being."

Only if you are a nun, or a monk

Think it's human nature to pick faults with other people, things that don't fit in with the social accepted template for what's normal ,but the whole idea of what is social acceptable is constantly changing ,what was once taboo and off limits in the 40's and 50's is now regarded as the norm ,stereotypes change and people's mind sets shift ,so for me each to there own I guess ,everybody is different and everybody likes what they like regardless of what society dictates what we should like etc etc

By *an_WoodMan  over a year ago

Stafford

It's the internal bias or self delusion that hopefully good friends can point out otherwise we can all be idiots at times.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Fuckin' Daily Mail reading mutter mutter mutter...

By *piritsonfabCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

I think a certain amount if pre -judging is inevitable if you don't have much experience of the group in question.

But having prejudice initially is one thing. Treating someone badly or unfairly because of it is another. Take each individual as you find them..... regardless of how you may perceive the "group".

I think everybody has prejudices. The knack is not to act according to them but find out the facts and make up your own mind. Don't follow the herd. The key is education. That never stops, no matter how old you are.

"Hi - I (male) consider myself to be pretty well balanced and have always taken people as I find them, regardless of age, creed, colour, sexuality etc. I got into a little 'debating' on another thread today and questioned myself as to whether I did, indeed, have any prejudices. If I honestly look myself in the mirror - I have - and it's probably due to a large variety of background factors (mostly around being human). Indeed, a very learned friend of mine will assert that it is impossible for any human being to have no prejudices - due to socio-economic factors, parenting, class, heritage and own life experience etc.

I want people to be completely HONEST here and not play political games for popularity or points scoring. Is it possible for any human being to have no prejudices whatsoever? (i.e. against any other particular type of human being."

if you are talking about meeting a person and on face value I take everyone as I find them across the board so in terms of that no but if you are talking sexually then many things get in the way of that

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"No I don't think it's possible. But I think you can be aware of your prejudices, know they are wrong, and act accordingly. "

This!

Society has so many stereotypes about different kinds of people, it is impossible not to absorb them and unconsciously reach for them sometimes. Just have to be as aware to it as possible.

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

No, the human brain is set up to make judgements all the time. These create prejudice. Mostly subconsciously. But it is possible to act in ways that overcome these.

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

"I think everyone has some prejudice. Or strong opinions. I know I do. "

I agree with that one

I think prejudices prob stem back from when we first walked the earth ,its inherent in our nature ,because when man first walked the earth ,you'd regard somebody you didn't know as a threat ,so it's ingrained in us to judge ,friend or foe ,fight or flight

By *eliciouslyNastyMan  over a year ago

London

"Hi - I (male) consider myself to be pretty well balanced and have always taken people as I find them, regardless of age, creed, colour, sexuality etc. I got into a little 'debating' on another thread today and questioned myself as to whether I did, indeed, have any prejudices. If I honestly look myself in the mirror - I have - and it's probably due to a large variety of background factors (mostly around being human). Indeed, a very learned friend of mine will assert that it is impossible for any human being to have no prejudices - due to socio-economic factors, parenting, class, heritage and own life experience etc.

No, but it is possible to be tolerant and not to waste your time with affairs that do not concern you...

I don't believe it's possible for someone to have no prejudices at all.

I do believe it's possible to refrain from letting others know about those prejudices.

I love everyone me

even the moaners on here like

By *lorious hole bs16Man  over a year ago

Bristol

I agree with Scarlet earlier, we all have prejudices whether it is men in white sox, taxi drivers, students etc. The challenge is how to be non judgemental,or in my case less judgemental with your prejudices.

Good luck to you all. .J

Everyone has prejudices..that's human. It's how you act on them. You can't help what you feel but you can help how you behave.

Nottingham

"I love everyone me

"

LMFAO.

Must. Resist. Commenting.

same here.

I passionately believe in equality but am aware of the hypocrisy I display in my intolerance of those who judge people by gender, race, sexual it etc

"I love everyone me

LMFAO.

"

ah my very own stalker

even you lovely

I believe our upbringing is a major factor and prejudiced behaviour we are all guilty off.

Fortunately for me my work meant that I've mixed with just about every kind of group, nationality, etc and now as a fully grown mature adult I judge just about nobody on this planet.

I got it very wrong in the past but now believe I can say I never judge a book by it's cover. Cliché I know but I would be very disappointed in myself if I ever did now.

I used to be very very naive, I didn't judge what so ever and honestly believed there was good in everyone and people who hurt others were themselves hurting and were misunderstood. It turned into a very painful life lesson and has taken me years to heal from. We have to judge to a certain level as self preservation.

I would say its pretty impossible without some kind of neurological or behavioural condition.

As humans we constantly judge everything. Its part of our reptilian brain which filters through...safe/danger at its basest level. Added to that is our prediliction for pattern recognition, memory, and processing and we automatically base every decision on past experiences. These 'memories' dont even have to be our own (our brains dont know the difference between a real and imagined memory)

It can take real effort to overcome and unlearn these prejudices and usually have to be tackled one at a time.

As previously said though the main thing is recognising them in yourself and dealing with them appropriately

By *lorious hole bs16Man  over a year ago

Bristol

" Everyone has prejudices..that's human. It's how you act on them. You can't help what you feel but you can help how you behave."

Not sure about it been human..I don't believe we are born with prejudices,it is something we aquire through all kinds of inputs and our experiences

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple  over a year ago

nr chester

"Although I'm laid back and generally non prejudicial, I find its the individual o dislike rather than the group - does that make sense? Xx"
. It makes lots of sense to me( Mrs cmy) and I am totally with you, glad you found the words to describe me as I would have struggled to put how I am as a person as well as this

By *xelciscoMan  over a year ago

Reading/bracknell

@tootyfruity,

I see this as unavoidable since the notion of prejudice is linked to the notion of perceptions and hence culture and thereby society.. so in a multicultural environment you are bound to encounter misalignment. They key is a to ask oneself what one has a bias for or against (without subconscious censorship), and exert "cultural awareness" (ie curiosity towards others). Together they are a step towards tolerance. But then we all have a threshold for each situation.. which can be perceived differently... I think your friend is right.

Axel

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"Oh the black folks hate the white folks

And the white folks hate the black folks

To hate all but the right folk is and old established rule...!

Tom Lehrer - National Brotherhood Week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlJ8ZCs4jY

I've learnt that lesson the hard way myself by trusting somebody to much ,is the question though are people prejudice or should the question be have people lost good manners and forgotten communicate

I've got no Prejudice's at all... expect maybe fascists err no fascists and fools.. And leftist regressive types

And maybe rappers can't stand no rap..

Politicans there cunts

Billionaires, bricklayers, chavs, aggressive old people, people who spit for no reason, people who only like hot sunny weather..WTF were humans not lizards, people that unload there shopping onto the conveyer belt really slowly.. Come on come on, it's not a fucking hobby, royalty, foreigners, foreign royalty.. There splitters oh and Romans, although technically there foreigners they fall into exceptional foreigners... Like south Africans... I've never meet a nice south African.

Apart from that I'm prejudice free!

Nottingham

"I love everyone me

LMFAO.

ah my very own stalker

even you lovely "

Ew. Lol.

I don't think "you being so objectionable in your posts that your name and profile picture instigates a Pavlovian repulsion response in me" and "stalking" are necessarily the same things you think they are, girl. Lol.

By *cduck and Blue eyesCouple  over a year ago

nr chester

Also I wonder sometimes is it really prejudice or just lack of understanding

Nottingham

""Oh the black folks hate the white folks

And the white folks hate the black folks

To hate all but the right folk is and old established rule...!

Tom Lehrer - National Brotherhood Week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlJ8ZCs4jY"

Masochism Tango.

(derailing...)

Nottingham

"Also I wonder sometimes is it really prejudice or just lack of understanding"

This!!

I think it can be both, the latter leading to the former. No one can realise their prejudice until they've been told.

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman  over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

"I think everybody has prejudices. The knack is not to act according to them but find out the facts and make up your own mind. Don't follow the herd. The key is education. That never stops, no matter how old you are. "

A lack of understand ,me for example im married and being a very naughty man ,my choice my reasons ,but for the few women on here that have messaged me called me scum etc etc ,not a single one has cared to get to know me first ,it's he's married cheating must be a cunt msg abuse lol

I think the Buddha nailed it when he said "I don't have any prejudices."

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

No. Prejudice helps us cope with things we do not know or understand. Without prejudice we would not be able to form judgement and be able to operate safely. Simple day to day motor skills like judging height and distance - we are prejudicial about about walking down too many steps, or braking too hard in the car. Without becoming involved we would be prejudicial to them. Similarly; avoiding or maybe facing off more complex social events - like a hundred people staring at you for no reason. Prejudice keeps us safe as we have formed judgements based on previous experiences.

I think it can help to know when to just keep your gob shut.

By *an_WoodMan  over a year ago

Stafford

"I think it can help to know when to just keep your gob shut. "

sometimes my mind is still in the dark ages and i forget that my words can cause offence i'm ashamed to say, and probably because i don't understand stuff

» Add a new message to this topic