FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > single people get less rights!

single people get less rights!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

i have never married or had children. however, I recently to drop my hours at work to attend uni. the palaver I had. a colleague in the same department i worked in was allowed to increase her hours (and subsequently decreased them), whilst I had to move depts to change my hours. now, if i had gone off on maternity leave, i would have been entitled to return part-time, by law!

sometimes as I feel as a single person, i am looked down upon, not just in work (where it's prevalent), but also by society.

the world only wants to accept family units, sod single people!

but the cost of living is higher - tax, household bills aren't any cheaper just because there is only one person in the home.

sorry,rant over

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You can hardly compare maternity leave with the desire to reduce hours to study at Uni. (Confused of Kent)

By the way you still get maternity leave if you are single.

thats are goverment for you

ok, i can understand that, but i mean childless! still don't find it fair that a colleague in the same department is allowed to swap her hours, whilst i couldn't.

"ok, i can understand that, but i mean childless! still don't find it fair that a colleague in the same department is allowed to swap her hours, whilst i couldn't.

"

It could be that the circumstances at work were such that it was convenient when she asked and you were just unlucky as they were not when you asked. Difficult to say without knowing the circumstances, company policy etc.

By the way you can get a reduction in council tax for single occupancy, but you have to apply for it.

As for the rest, you pay for what you consume, that is just the market.

"By the way you can get a reduction in council tax for single occupancy, but you have to apply for it.

As for the rest, you pay for what you consume, that is just the market."

Yes, you get a 25% reduction as a single person. A couple get charged £200 per month, you get charged £150, so the single person is still paying more than each half of that couple on an individual basis.

"..........

sometimes as I feel as a single person, i am looked down upon, not just in work (where it's prevalent), but also by society.

.............. "

Don't forget the upsides to be being a singleton.

Unfortunately I've never had children but I have had comments made about how it must be 'nice' not to have kids because I have the freedom to what I want, when I want, or I'm told its a 'shame' by people who do not know whether it was my choice or not. To a degree I do feel that I am looked down on by some for being childless, like I haven't fulfilled my role in life to be a mother. The government are also guilty of penalising couples without children as we found out when we lost our job a while ago. There were so many things we weren't entitled to because we're childless The main one being that we would have to be temporarily housed in seperate b&b/hostel (our home came with our job) because there were no children within the marriage so we weren't a priority! Whilst I agree that families in crisis should be top of the list, how is it right that a married couple are expected to live seperately just because they don't have kids? If it hadn't happened to us, I wouldn't believe it.

"By the way you can get a reduction in council tax for single occupancy, but you have to apply for it.

As for the rest, you pay for what you consume, that is just the market.

Yes, you get a 25% reduction as a single person. A couple get charged £200 per month, you get charged £150, so the single person is still paying more than each half of that couple on an individual basis.

"

which encourages swinging

"i have never married or had children. however, I recently to drop my hours at work to attend uni. the palaver I had. a colleague in the same department i worked in was allowed to increase her hours (and subsequently decreased them), whilst I had to move depts to change my hours. now, if i had gone off on maternity leave, i would have been entitled to return part-time, by law!

the world only wants to accept family units, sod single people!

but the cost of living is higher - tax, household bills aren't any cheaper just because there is only one person in the home.

sorry,rant over "

I agree totally.

I have never married (aint that daft)

Tho had my son.

Those at work always had more consideration over me.

Shooting off here and there when the phone went.

I was always an hour early getting to work and set up what i needed for when me old dears got there.

One day i didnt get in till my proper time and one co worker had the fooking cheek to have a go

Same co worker who was always rushing off somewhere cuz of "the kids"

25% discount, big deal!

the other person in question was doing the same job as myself, but her change in hours was honoured after i moved! i had asked my line manager a couple of months before if i could be be acccommodated part-time when I went to uni and was told yes. but when it came down to it, at the time I was told my job warranted full time, not part-time hours.

may i point out that single people also have to pay quite a substantial amount of single supplement when going on holiday too, which is a totally archaic notion. to end up in a single room anyway, a real money spinner. either that or share with someone i don't know.

i'm not having a go at those who have married or got kids, i'm just pointing out that us singles that pay more in many ways, but are often frowned upon.

"25% discount, big deal!

the other person in question was doing the same job as myself, but her change in hours was honoured after i moved! i had asked my line manager a couple of months before if i could be be acccommodated part-time when I went to uni and was told yes. but when it came down to it, at the time I was told my job warranted full time, not part-time hours.

may i point out that single people also have to pay quite a substantial amount of single supplement when going on holiday too, which is a totally archaic notion. to end up in a single room anyway, a real money spinner. either that or share with someone i don't know.

i'm not having a go at those who have married or got kids, i'm just pointing out that us singles that pay more in many ways, but are often frowned upon.

"

I do agree with you having experienced being married with kids and then separated. When I was married I lived abroad and used to come back to the UK for summer holidays with the kids and just me. Other families treated us as if we had the lurgy.

As soon as people found out I was separated they would ask me "you looking for someone then?". grrrrrrrrrrrr And it is true at work they think you can do all the evening work for example because you are single and married have to get home.

I am not unsypathetic.

aw god, that's awful that you were forced apart just because you don't have kids. everyone's circumstances are different but for a married couple to be forced into separate places to live is terrible.

xx

Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits.Where as an employee taking maternity leave is less likely to come back as they may want to stay at home to look after the baby and if they do come back is more likely to take time off again in the future if the baby becomes ill or they have problems with childcare.I dont know,as i am neither mother,employer or student so i may be totally wrong,but i'm sure someone will let me know if they think i am.

"Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits.Where as an employee taking maternity leave is less likely to come back as they may want to stay at home to look after the baby and if they do come back is more likely to take time off again in the future if the baby becomes ill or they have problems with childcare.I dont know,as i am neither mother,employer or student so i may be totally wrong,but i'm sure someone will let me know if they think i am. "

yep I think you are making rapid value judgements there. everyone is different. I know I have been an employer.

"Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits. "

On the flip side, a person taking time off to improve their qualifications may well use that qualification to land a job elsewhere, meaing the company has to rehire someone new, get them trained up etc. A new person will work with less efficiency at the start than someone experienced so the company loses out.

I sent employees on paid training only to have them return and demand an immediate increase in pay. Huh, an increase in pay is merited by evidence of good work not by study.

"Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits.Where as an employee taking maternity leave is less likely to come back as they may want to stay at home to look after the baby and if they do come back is more likely to take time off again in the future if the baby becomes ill or they have problems with childcare.I dont know,as i am neither mother,employer or student so i may be totally wrong,but i'm sure someone will let me know if they think i am. "

Can I assume this comment applies equally to both men and women?

i used to have a colleagues whose son was in his twenties, yet she still came in late as she had to take her 'boy' to the doctors!

seriously, i have NOTHING against parents, it's the government. i was told many years ago by the council (when i was 19) that the only way i was going to get a council flat was to "get pregnant, love". i did get a flat eventually, but took two years.

"Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits.

On the flip side, a person taking time off to improve their qualifications may well use that qualification to land a job elsewhere, meaing the company has to rehire someone new, get them trained up etc. A new person will work with less efficiency at the start than someone experienced so the company loses out."

Yep you are right there but when you copied my quote you missed a large chunk of it out.

And in that chunk i said something about an employee taking maternity leave may decide not come back to work and instead stay at home to bring the child up.or something like that,i cant remember exactly what i wrote but it was along those lines

"Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits.Where as an employee taking maternity leave is less likely to come back as they may want to stay at home to look after the baby and if they do come back is more likely to take time off again in the future if the baby becomes ill or they have problems with childcare.I dont know,as i am neither mother,employer or student so i may be totally wrong,but i'm sure someone will let me know if they think i am.

Can I assume this comment applies equally to both men and women?"

not sure what youre getting at,dont men take paternity leave and not maternity?

"Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits.Where as an employee taking maternity leave is less likely to come back as they may want to stay at home to look after the baby and if they do come back is more likely to take time off again in the future if the baby becomes ill or they have problems with childcare.I dont know,as i am neither mother,employer or student so i may be totally wrong,but i'm sure someone will let me know if they think i am.

Can I assume this comment applies equally to both men and women?

not sure what youre getting at,dont men take paternity leave and not maternity?"

I am getting at the fact that you are making sweeping value judgements. This never works.

Sorry,i still dont know what you mean,i am a bit stupid though.lol.

I think your saying that i am valueing women less than men,i dont think i am,i try to judge poeple by their personalities not their sex.

I was just commenting on the original post which was about women.

As far as i know i didnt put women down and certainly didnt mean to put women down and i am sorry if any women were offended by what i wrote,please could you tell me which bit offended you so i will know not to write it again.

the post wasn't about 'women' being put down, but single people, men as well as women. you've not offended anyone, you've made a valid point.

the message i was trying to portray is that in society, SINGLE people are frowned upon, particularly those without children, both by the workplace and by the government.

in the workplace, married families and those with children are given priority and more rights than those who aren't married and without children.

The government benefit those in a family unit. whilst a 2.4 family might be an ideal, if you don't have that then you are seen as a misfit.

"Sorry,i still dont know what you mean,i am a bit stupid though.lol.

I think your saying that i am valueing women less than men,i dont think i am,i try to judge poeple by their personalities not their sex.

I was just commenting on the original post which was about women.

As far as i know i didnt put women down and certainly didnt mean to put women down and i am sorry if any women were offended by what i wrote,please could you tell me which bit offended you so i will know not to write it again."

"Would have thought that,as far as the employers are concerned,they'd prefare an employee to take time off for a uni coarse than for maternity leave,because that employee will be gaining a qualification which may be beneficial to the company therefore increasing their profits.

On the flip side, a person taking time off to improve their qualifications may well use that qualification to land a job elsewhere, meaing the company has to rehire someone new, get them trained up etc. A new person will work with less efficiency at the start than someone experienced so the company loses out."

and if women don't have children then there will be no addition to the population to do the work needed to make the world turn... Childless people who take up the slack while parents are child rearing for future society are invaluable too its how society works. But for the majority there is rarely a satisfacvtory reward with enjoyable living conditions and work leisure balance and its a sad fact that we're all pawns while there is lack of housing, public services, jobs and a decent living wage I don;t know what the answer is - it doesnt matter which government rules I sometimes get the feeling Im just fodder for the better off.

"I sometimes get the feeling Im just fodder for the better off."

Goes to show how we all see things differently. I sometimes feel I'm fodder for the lazy, slack and irresponsible not the better off: they fend for themselves!

» Add a new message to this topic