FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How old were you?

How old were you?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I was just talking to a friend of mine who still lives at home with her parents. She is my age, has a full-time job that pays better than mine, and is a very responsible person. But she still lives at home with her parents.

Part of the reason is because she lives in NYC, and I imagine that London has a similar problem here in the UK. But it just got me thinking....

How old were you when you moved out of your parent's house?

-Courtney

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otsoSnowWhiteWoman  over a year ago

My Ice Castle! South Wales

I've moved out twice and ended up back there. Second time after my marriage ended. Where I live it's rrally expensive to rent a flat let alone a house. It was a new car or a place to live. One would leave me with freedom to a life the other would be stick doing nothing

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When I went to uni at 18. Me and my then fiancé moved back in for about a year after we'd done and it was hell!

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

18 x

Moved out at 16

Which time?

By *obwithkiltMan  over a year ago

Belton

I was 21 when I started college down south and moved out of my parents. ...weirdly there are still posters from then up on bedroom wall!!!

18 to go to Uni. Never lived back permanently since. Even if I stop over for a few days now I start to go stir crazy, it's great to see them but I like the freedom of my own space

Moved into a bed sit in St Austell when I was 17 moved home a couple of times for short periods but have basically fended for myself since then

Out at 18, back at 22, back again at 25 and back again at 31 ( the last 2 times were mercifully short lived though )

Moved out for Uni, then moved back after till I could support myself as a freelancer, then moved back to learn to drive. Now I'm moving back to Lindkn soon.

I moved out when I was 16, I have a 23 year old that still lives at home, she's at uni and works part time so at the moment she really couldn't afford to live alone and I see no point in here struggling to pay bill when she has a home here, of course if she wanted to move out that's her choice but I'm in no rush for her to go

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I was 22 & was 24 - we'd been together 6 years. We'd looked at renting but realised it was just wasting money so got a mortgage & bought.

I bought my first home at 21, my parents house was so busy

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

By *helbeeCouple  over a year ago

Nuneaton

I was 17

"I moved out when I was 16, I have a 23 year old that still lives at home, she's at uni and works part time so at the moment she really couldn't afford to live alone and I see no point in here struggling to pay bill when she has a home here, of course if she wanted to move out that's her choice but I'm in no rush for her to go "

My friend who lives at home pays rent to her parents. Its just cheaper rent than she would have to pay otherwise. I don't think I could charge my kid to stay at home. Would you ever consider it?

17 I think

18 when i went to uni and never returned....and hope i never have to

I've never been back to live with my parents since moving out. I live with one of my 3 children,depending who needs me at the time. My son is still at my house.

Left for uni at 18 and never went back.

Chams or Socials

"I moved out when I was 16, I have a 23 year old that still lives at home, she's at uni and works part time so at the moment she really couldn't afford to live alone and I see no point in here struggling to pay bill when she has a home here, of course if she wanted to move out that's her choice but I'm in no rush for her to go

My friend who lives at home pays rent to her parents. Its just cheaper rent than she would have to pay otherwise. I don't think I could charge my kid to stay at home. Would you ever consider it?"

I paid rent of £15 per week until I got a full time job but even then it was only £25. I think it's important children know that it costs money to run a house. I make mine switch off all sockets when not in use, shut windows, curtains & doors to keep heat in etc...

I moved out at 19. S

By *onniWoman  over a year ago

newcastle

I was 16 when I left x

21... but then I did have to move back when I became single at 42, but luckily only for 9 weeks

"I moved out when I was 16, I have a 23 year old that still lives at home, she's at uni and works part time so at the moment she really couldn't afford to live alone and I see no point in here struggling to pay bill when she has a home here, of course if she wanted to move out that's her choice but I'm in no rush for her to go

My friend who lives at home pays rent to her parents. Its just cheaper rent than she would have to pay otherwise. I don't think I could charge my kid to stay at home. Would you ever consider it?

I paid rent of £15 per week until I got a full time job but even then it was only £25. I think it's important children know that it costs money to run a house. I make mine switch off all sockets when not in use, shut windows, curtains & doors to keep heat in etc..."

That's fair enough. It is important that kids learn the responsibility that goes along with paying for your own place. I guess that can get lost a bit if you've only lived with your parents by the age of 27.

By *oxy_minxWoman  over a year ago

Scotland - Aberdeen

I was 17 through necessity - would recommend it as was really hard to afford food once everything else was paid

15 was nearly 16. Very dysfunctional family. Dad had an affair. Couldn't stand the arguing. Stayed with uncle.

17 till I came back from apprentice ship at 22 then saved and out at 24

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I left home for my first job, with which I was supplied with free board and live in accommodation, which made the transition much easier.

When I did go home (90 minutes travel away) it was only for 2-3 days at a time, and we still got on, but within a couple of years, I was working in London, and trips home were few and far between. From then on, I'd become used to my own space and though it was great to see my parents, I was always glad to get back to my base in London!

I paid rent of £15 per week until I got a full time job but even then it was only £25. I think it's important children know that it costs money to run a house. I make mine switch off all sockets when not in use, shut windows, curtains & doors to keep heat in etc...

That's fair enough. It is important that kids learn the responsibility that goes along with paying for your own place. I guess that can get lost a bit if you've only lived with your parents by the age of 27."

Mine always just charged me the extra that it cost for having me or me and my husband there - so a share of the bills, food etc.

If we'd been there longer term I think we'd have paid more, since we were both working and were just there for convenience between properties for periods of a few months.

Everyone was so young

My friend who lives at home pays rent to her parents. Its just cheaper rent than she would have to pay otherwise. I don't think I could charge my kid to stay at home. Would you ever consider it?"

I always told my kids so long as they were in education I'd keep them, because she's at uni full time she only works part time, if I took money from here she would have very little left so I don't

I buy all the essential like food, toiletries etc but she provides her luxury personal stuff

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Never went back , except to visit...

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Ran away at 15 went back

Left at 18-22 went back

Left at 24 never been back.

My son left at 16 has been back once and yes i charged him board.

I do know a woman whose a year older than me who lives with her parents and has never left she even has to be in at a certain time and can't have people stay.. Here parents are both active and she has a job where she could easily rent somewhere she choices not to

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

I moved into my first flat at the age of 18 with my boyfriend

Was brill but it didn't last long so then moved into another flat alone

Xxx

"Everyone was so young "

It was easier to buy a house 20 years ago

"Everyone was so young

It was easier to buy a house 20 years ago"

It's not that hard now if your willing to put some work in

My house was a mess when I first got it. 2 years down the line I've just finished it

I was 27 when I moved out permanently but I used to housesitting for about 5 years previous to that so home was more of a base really, I didn't pay rent because basically I'm a bit spoilt but I'm an only child so I'll have to support my parents when they're old and even more badly behaved than they are now so I think it was a fair deal!!

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

My home ceased to exist when I was 18, though luckily the couple I was working for took me in until I sat my A-levels and went to uni.

Mrs ddc was 23.

I've told both of ours I'll be sending them to buy some milk, then changing all the locks, once they finish their A-levels

Mr ddc

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

30!

"Everyone was so young

My house was a mess when I first got it. 2 years down the line I've just finished it "

I didn't buy mine till 25, moved out before that though and rented.

I was 17 married my childhood sweetheart

I was way to young

By *izzy.Woman  over a year ago

Stoke area

I left home at 18 to go Uni. Been independent ever since.

16 and couldn't wait

Buying is still a distant dream for me.

By *abphilMan  over a year ago

sheffield

14 never looked back

17 moved to a shared house around the corner from my parents . I knew nothing !!! X

"Everyone was so young "
when my mum was going there was nothing unusual being married 17/18 with kids but I have noticed more in recent years the old "everyone mucks intogether " kids staying at home cause they can't afford to move out, families with young children living with parents and of cause as they get older parents living with their kids. It's always happened but I am noticing it more than I was a few years ago

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

"I left home at 18 to go Uni. Been independent ever since. "

Same here.

By *oward1978Man  over a year ago

Rotherham

I still live at home. And before anyone passes judgement on that, yes, I know it's sad. Just another chapter in my sad, pathetic life.

16. I couldn't wait to get out. I was working 4.5 days a week, going to college 2.5. Then working when studying at uni, then proper work.

"I still live at home. And before anyone passes judgement on that, yes, I know it's sad. Just another chapter in my sad, pathetic life. "
as a home on this thread said its sad to be still living at home?

28-29

I had no reason to move out, Started looking when I had a decent deposit for a house, Bought one just when the house market was at it's peak

"I still live at home. And before anyone passes judgement on that, yes, I know it's sad. Just another chapter in my sad, pathetic life. "

It's not sad. If I were single I'd probably still be living with my mother and taking care of her. I couldn't afford my own place in NYC.

I wish I did still live at home!

Happy days

"28-29

I had no reason to move out, Started looking when I had a decent deposit for a house, Bought one just when the house market was at it's peak "

Ouch.

I was 26 and left home on my wedding day! We didn't live together before we got married, folk said we were daft not to...been married 20 years in August

By *heclitmaster84Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

As soon as I turned 16

18 like I said I would x

Chams or Socials

I could quite happily still live at home!! I love going back for sleepovers even though it's only 5 miles away

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

23 for me (him) and 18 for Mrs N

"I still live at home. And before anyone passes judgement on that, yes, I know it's sad. Just another chapter in my sad, pathetic life.

I could quite happily still live at home!! I love going back for sleepovers even though it's only 5 miles away"

Yep I do this too!! Although it might have something to do with my local being 2 doors away from my parents house!!

"I still live at home. And before anyone passes judgement on that, yes, I know it's sad. Just another chapter in my sad, pathetic life.

I could quite happily still live at home!! I love going back for sleepovers even though it's only 5 miles away

Yep I do this too!! Although it might have something to do with my local being 2 doors away from my parents house!! "

Any reason to see the parents is a good reason, right?

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

There's nothing sad about it. I loved living at home with my folks. I stayed till I was 30 because I could and I was happy. I had the upstairs to myself and my little dog there... there was no real reason to move out. They'd have kept me forever too... well my Mum would, I think my Dad was happy to see the back of my plug hole hair!

Yep I do this too!! Although it might have something to do with my local being 2 doors away from my parents house!!

Any reason to see the parents is a good reason, right? "

They come with me!! If my dads in a particularly good mood (or very d*unk) my bar tab mysteriously disappears!! It's grand!! Haha!

16....and half.

18 for both of us. We both left our parents to follow our career dreams.

Mrs x

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Sometimes wished I lived at home and paid low rent but that is a little difficult as I live in Berkshire my family are in Cornwall lol

By *and loversCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Wow everyone moved out really young.

I was 26. A fair few people I know who are my sort of age still live at home.

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

Umm I still do

Left at 18 then moved back in after uni

Can't afford to buy in London

I never moved out - at 18 I buried them under the patio...

[Removed by poster at 10/02/16 20:52:14]

The first time I left I was 15. I went back after 4 months and stayed until I was 17, then left again. At 19 I went back for 10 months before leaving for good.

By *razedcatMan  over a year ago

London / Herts

I'm still here

But I've spent the past 6 years in full-time education. I didn't stand a chance of affording rent in London.

Im 28 and still live at home and have a 4yr old son. Its horrible. Waiting for my partner to sell his house so we can move in together.

19 we started renting somewhere and bought our current house when we were 22.

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

21 (and Mr B was 23) when we brought our first home.

By *aeBabeWoman  over a year ago

London

"I was just talking to a friend of mine who still lives at home with her parents. She is my age, has a full-time job that pays better than mine, and is a very responsible person. But she still lives at home with her parents.

Part of the reason is because she lives in NYC, and I imagine that London has a similar problem here in the UK. But it just got me thinking....

-Courtney"

I still live with mine. They plan to retire this year and move back to the Philippines. I pay £300/month for rent and contribute to bills and groceries too. I've been wanting to move out for ages, but by living with them and helping shoulder rent, I'm helping them save money according to them.

But by living at home with them means I have responsibilities to do for the family and still get questioned as to my whereabouts and who I'm with.

I'm just gritting my teeth till November...

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I moved out briefly at 18 then moved back until leaving permanently at 21.

Cal left home at 18 (I think)

By *eanut Butter CupWoman  over a year ago

B & M Bargains

Moved out for uni at 18, then moved back after at 21. Couldn't stand the arguing and noise of being in a house with 3 younger siblings. Luckily my dad was very generous helping me buy me own place at 24 otherwise I would have gone bat shit crazy!

I once worked with a man (arsehole) who told his son to leave his house on his eighteenth birthday, which his son did. later, when his son got married he went to his mothers house to have sunday dinner with his mum, guess what, the arsehole father threw him out telling his son and his new wife to find his their own food.

there are some horrible fuckers about!

me, i left my home when i was twenty of my own free will lol

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

16 (just). And not so much moved out as thrown out. Spent 2 weeks on the streets, a year in the YMCA and several years in questionable shared accommodation before managing to claw my way back and get my own (rented) place.

What doesn't kill you and all that......

*Her*

By *mokes n MirrorsCouple  over a year ago

Plymouth and Newcastle (sometimes)

I (LB) left at 17 and never went back...Shame you can't pick your own family

By *iss-PinkWoman  over a year ago

Gloucester

Bought first house when just 21. Had moved out before that when I went to college - but not really, as was home weekends/ end of term

17 and never went back!

G

19 to go to Uni

Then back for 12 months 24-25

Then back for 6 months in my early 30's

Not been back since

The last time was enough.

I thought one of them was gonna end up under the patio

By *ittle Pocket PerveWoman  over a year ago

Portsmouth

Done it twice, first time i was 23 when i went too Uni and then had too return because of some health issues and an ex not being able too handle them at 27, i had no place else to go and left again when i was 30.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

By *a petite madameWoman  over a year ago

London / Essex

"Buying is still a distant dream for me. "

I was 17

Moved out at 18. And altough I lived in some real dives, I'm proud to say I never had to go back! (The bad mouthing from my mother would have been worse than living on the streets!)

And yes Courtney I had to pay rent from the age of 16! I earned fuck all and had to give half of it every week! Don't know how I had money to go out back then!

20 - wish id left earlier

Moved out at 16

15 then 17.

I was 16.

"I was just talking to a friend of mine who still lives at home with her parents. She is my age, has a full-time job that pays better than mine, and is a very responsible person. But she still lives at home with her parents.

-Courtney"

17. I don't find guys over 21 living at home with parents appealing. Over 21's are grown men and I find those who live as a grown independent man, appealing. Dated a mummy's boy before and my goodness what a nightmare... she didn't want to cut those apron strings lol. Never again.

"Everyone was so young

My house was a mess when I first got it. 2 years down the line I've just finished it "

Exactly. Amazing what can be achieved by giving up mad nights out, cigarettes, drugs (if used), expensive beauty and hair treatments, holidays etc etc. Save the cash and won't be terribly long until a person has a deposit to buy. Puzzles me hearing excuses but some people still spend out on bad habits and treats. London and most cities are expensive but not if you move to the outskirts or just over the border. Moving away from family isn't tragic. Just travel to see them! Having my own home provides so much and it's great. Wouldn't move back to my parents or anyone else not for anything lol.

Stayed with parents until I was 28.

Used that opportunity to Work my arse off knowing full well that it was my best opportunity to save. Contributed to bills, rent etc etc but nothing like what it would have cost me had I moved out into rented accommodation.

Had enough saved for a decent deposit on my house.

Best decision I ever done.

Moved out at 18. And altough I lived in some real dives, I'm proud to say I never had to go back! (The bad mouthing from my mother would have been worse than living on the streets!)

And yes Courtney I had to pay rent from the age of 16! I earned fuck all and had to give half of it every week! Don't know how I had money to go out back then! "

Rent at 16? Wow. That seems a bit harsh.

I moved out of my parents house at 18.

I moved to NYC

20 years old, a week after I got married

G x

"I moved out of my parents house at 18.

I moved to NYC "

Did you?!? Super cool!

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

Moved out at 16.

Lived with my then boyfriend and now husband.

By *aucy tiggerWoman  over a year ago

Back where I belong

That's a complicated one for me, but I was 15 when I stopped living with my dad, 16 when I stopped living with my mum and 20 when I stopped living with a family member xx

16 young persons hostel part time job college 17 had flat 28 got my foot in the door on the job I still do now

"16 young persons hostel part time job college 17 had flat 28 got my foot in the door on the job I still do now "

18 I meant lol nit 28 lol

"I moved out of my parents house at 18.

I moved to NYC

Did you?!? Super cool! "

I did. Sunnyside for almost three years. Best experience ever!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

18, but I was away whilst at school and so independent. My adult self is entirely of my own management and I can't imagine being an aging child home with parents.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

18 or 19, I think

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"18 or 19, I think"

On the plus side, I'm now living in the house I grew up in - I bought it from my parents.

Shit on you.

Left home at 18...never moved back

Started paying board at the age of 16..£25 a week.

I had a brilliant childhood with terrific parents but needing a job meant I left home at 16 to do my engineering apprenticeship miles away. Came home at odd weekends.

By *ex on fire500Man  over a year ago

chesterfield

[Removed by poster at 11/02/16 01:03:19]

By *irceWoman  over a year ago

Gloucester

17...never went back, would rather sleep outside....one wish that came true lol.

By *reykiwi500Man  over a year ago

West Kent (near Tonbridge)

In a slightly unusual sequence of events, I ended up being the last of my family (incl. parent) to leave the family home when I moved to the UK aged 28.

I was lucky enough to be able to live at home while at uni and the last 3 years I lived at home before moving to the UK, I was the only one there.

By *reykiwi500Man  over a year ago

West Kent (near Tonbridge)

Oh yeah, started paying rent when I left school. Wasn't much but that and the work I did around the place made me feel like I was paying my way.

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

28. Paid board and lodge from 18 when I started work until I left.

It was older than most at the time by about 5 years on average. Now 28 is average such is the price of houses now.

What did I do with the money I saved while living at home? I partied A LOT!!!!!

By *isandreTV/TS  over a year ago

Durham

By the way, great question this.

First time? 18

First time? 18

I'm 24. I still live at home. I have no plans to move out until I either hit 30 or meet someone to move out with.

I don't pay any board money to my parents.

If I moved out I wouldn't be able to buy what I buy now and travel all over. I'm too selfish to give that up to live alone.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

18, to go to university.

By *eeDee25Woman  over a year ago

crook

I was 18 and went to live with my nan. I lived on my own at 24 afta my nan died.

By *uzzy NavelWoman  over a year ago

so near and yet so far....

23 to get married ....

Live with parents when I return home for a holiday i feel really bad as we all have our own ways, so always hire a car to give us all breathing space..

I moved out when I was 18 got my first flat lasted all of 1 weekend when I had my house warming and we trashed the place. Moved back with parents for another yr then bought my house I live in now and never looked back

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

18 for Mr, 28 for Mrs (second time having moved back at 23)

24 for me - bought my own place, although I did have a brief spell back home in my early 30's.

Mr was 18 and moved into digs for work.

Sarah

Have lived away from parents for 20 years...the last 10 of which I didn't see or speak to 1 of them.. 19 months ago one moved in with me... It's difficult

[Removed by poster at 11/02/16 07:34:10]

By *aeriequeenWoman  over a year ago

Manchester

I was 18 as I rushed off to Uni, fell in love and got married pretty quickly.

My eldest left when she was 19 as she wanted her independence and to combine Uni with a job. She doesnt stay here at all. Her 22 year old bf still lives at home with his parentd though as he can't afford to find anywhere.

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

My twin sister moved back in with my parents a couple of years ago at age 38 but the circumstances are slightly different to most people's stories of moving back home.

Our mum has got MS and needs a full time carer, dad's health isn't upto it. My sister made the decision to move in with them to look after them both.

17, moved in with a girl aged 26, we eventually married then divorced 10 years later

"Out at 18, back at 22, back again at 25 and back again at 31 ( the last 2 times were mercifully short lived though )"
I bet your parents moved lol! My son has moved out three times and even came back with a live in girlfriend one time. We call him boomerang.

Finally left home at 27, left it so late as I was caring for my mum.

By *ivemeyoursoulWoman  over a year ago

Easter just around the corner!

27 when I got married,I was rightly paying board and saving up for a deposit on my own place

When I first moved out I was 17.

Second time 20.

-Courtney"

first time i spread my wings was when i was bout 9 or 10

20 then moved back in at 23. Moved out again at 24. Then recently had to move back in at 35 after a divorce and selling the family home at a huge loss. But looking at a couple of places to rent this weekend so hopefully will be out again in a month or so. Woo!

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Went into so called care at 12/13 had my 1st place at 16 and been totally independent ever since. Was the best thing to ever happen to me ok I had to grow up bloody fast but it made me the man I am

I was 24, lived in Glasgow for a while and then moved to the US for 2 years

18 and a half... but it was either leave or stay & be in an increasingly dangerous situation.

I moved back in for a couple of months in early 2012 when I was 22.

Though, now I have little sleepovers at my parents' house, like this weekend.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

-Courtney"

On my wedding day aged 20.

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

Moved out @ 24

21, got married never moved back since

"Moved out at 16"

Same here. Soon as I hit 16 I was out of there. X

moved out when i was 17, went back a couple of times, but now live on my own, couldn't go back now i like my naughty parties too much

18 for a year out before Uni, returned for the odd weekend and a few weeks during holidays, but effectively lived away since. I love visiting my Mum and Dad so go there quite frequently to see them.

My Parents left home when I was 18 ,, spooky but true !

They left a note and a jolly hamper stuffed with delicious goodies and set forth on adventure

"My friend who lives at home pays rent to her parents. Its just cheaper rent than she would have to pay otherwise. I don't think I could charge my kid to stay at home. Would you ever consider it?"

When I moved back in with my Mum after splitting up with a partner in my mid-twenties she charged me about £350 a month in rent - AND I did all the food shopping (out of a household account mind you), made packed lunches, and cooked all the meals for us. That was the deal.

"My Parents left home when I was 18 ,, spooky but true !

They left a note and a jolly hamper stuffed with delicious goodies and set forth on adventure "

Wow. That sounds like an interesting adventure.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

I was 19, Jayne was 16, and we moved into our own flat (rented), we had to pay 200 rent, out of a combined income of 400 a month!!!

God knows how we survived!

17 and never gone back.

» Add a new message to this topic