FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Its not just a rocky film

Its not just a rocky film

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Watched the film the fighter starring Mark Walberg and Christian Bale and Amy Adams. Its Based on the true life story of the fighter Mickey ward.

To the non boxing fan i would highly recomend it and to the ladies to. Not sure who was the hardest though the fighter or his girlfriend, just goes to show behind every good man theres a great woman ..if somewhat a bit pushy' ish

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ill watch it for no other reason than Christian Bale is in it

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

some of the best boxing fights I have ever seen were the 3 fights between Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti... they were proper knock down drag out fights....

"some of the best boxing fights I have ever seen were the 3 fights between Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti... they were proper knock down drag out fights...."

Yep _abio i agree with you. Real toe to toes up there with ali and frazier barrera chavez and fenwick and nelson. Have scoured easynews trying to find a download for them but no luck...what i really like about the film is the family dysfunctia and how it all comes together. At one point i was shouting my disgust at his mother, just as well i did not go to the cinema or i would have been thrown out lol. Bales performance was really out there, michael caine he mostly certainly is not i am happy to say lol

Performances are top notch in every role. It’s one of Christian Bale’s best, one which goes beyond the superficial physical transformation he goes through to become an underweight crack addict. We feel the genuine love for his brother and his desire to win no matter kind of trauma he finds himself in. Wahlberg admirably assumes the less showy role, a reactive straight man performance, which usually gets overshadowed by the histrionics of the more rowdy characters. Amy Adams and Melissa Leo both shine as two strong women who antagonize each other with Micky in between. Both are fighters in their own way who won’t back down from each other.

Though it’s a story of two brothers and moves around the very masculine world of professional boxing, The Fighter is not a macho film. It’s a universal story of family, of mothers, daughters, brothers and the inexplicable bond which can push us all towards extraordinary things.

"Performances are top notch in every role. It’s one of Christian Bale’s best, one which goes beyond the superficial physical transformation he goes through to become an underweight crack addict. We feel the genuine love for his brother and his desire to win no matter kind of trauma he finds himself in. Wahlberg admirably assumes the less showy role, a reactive straight man performance, which usually gets overshadowed by the histrionics of the more rowdy characters. Amy Adams and Melissa Leo both shine as two strong women who antagonize each other with Micky in between. Both are fighters in their own way who won’t back down from each other.

Though it’s a story of two brothers and moves around the very masculine world of professional boxing, The Fighter is not a macho film. It’s a universal story of family, of mothers, daughters, brothers and the inexplicable bond which can push us all towards extraordinary things."

You should get a job as a film critic ..nail on the head, give this man a cigar

Never saw the fights between Ward and Gatti but some of the best fight i ever saw were between Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank.Like most i always wanted Benn to win cause he was plucky but you cant deny Eubank was top class,lol.

"Never saw the fights between Ward and Gatti but some of the best fight i ever saw were between Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank.Like most i always wanted Benn to win cause he was plucky but you cant deny Eubank was top class,lol."

yep monkee boxing gold, and i always went for Ben. Eubank sure knew how to wind us all up lol. The Ward Gatti fights were something elso though but thats just my opinion. I am hoping that now the film is out there the Ward/Gatti trilogy of fights will be released on a dvd .

Nigel Benn was a kick boxer before a queensberry boxer, his fights were similar then as well

best fight i ever saw was when my little sister beat the living daylights outta my brother

I like Christian Bale movies so will definitely check this one out, have only heard good things about it

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

I cant wait to see this movie i have been waiting for its release ever since i saw it was in production

"I cant wait to see this movie i have been waiting for its release ever since i saw it was in production "

contains everything sadness laughter the strength to overcome our own problems. There was a bit in that really had me creasing myself. the fighter was told his next opponent was a bum who had just got up of the couch. When they meet in the ring and the fighter realising he is about to have his face punched and his opponent is rippling in menace and a few weight divisions up from himself and bulging in muscles he turns to his brother and says whatever couch he just got up of i want one lol.

Its not really a violent film at all so please do not let what i have said put you off ..happy viewing i am sure you will enjoy it

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"I cant wait to see this movie i have been waiting for its release ever since i saw it was in production

contains everything sadness laughter the strength to overcome our own problems. There was a bit in that really had me creasing myself. the fighter was told his next opponent was a bum who had just got up of the couch. When they meet in the ring and the fighter realising he is about to have his face punched and his opponent is rippling in menace and a few weight divisions up from himself and bulging in muscles he turns to his brother and says whatever couch he just got up of i want one lol.

Its not really a violent film at all so please do not let what i have said put you off ..happy viewing i am sure you will enjoy it "

i never take any notice of what people say about movies, some ppl told me certain movies are crap yet i really enjoyed em

u should watch the documentry, where in the film they say its about micky wards brother having a come back but its really about him bein a crack ed its funny

"Performances are top notch in every role. It’s one of Christian Bale’s best, one which goes beyond the superficial physical transformation he goes through to become an underweight crack addict. We feel the genuine love for his brother and his desire to win no matter kind of trauma he finds himself in. Wahlberg admirably assumes the less showy role, a reactive straight man performance, which usually gets overshadowed by the histrionics of the more rowdy characters. Amy Adams and Melissa Leo both shine as two strong women who antagonize each other with Micky in between. Both are fighters in their own way who won’t back down from each other.

Though it’s a story of two brothers and moves around the very masculine world of professional boxing, The Fighter is not a macho film. It’s a universal story of family, of mothers, daughters, brothers and the inexplicable bond which can push us all towards extraordinary things.

You should get a job as a film critic ..nail on the head, give this man a cigar

"

Not really his work mate, if you look on daily film dose website you will be able to read the article in its entrity which was in fact written by Alan Bacchus. I think Gothica forgot to add quotation marks to his piece. Isn't that right Gothica?

Though it’s a story of two brothers and moves around the very masculine world of professional boxing, The Fighter is not a macho film. It’s a universal story of family, of mothers, daughters, brothers and the inexplicable bond which can push us all towards extraordinary things."

Interesting , funny thing is i read that review on Dailydose . com !

By *ne ShotMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Interesting , funny thing is i read that review on Dailydose . com !"

top film highly reccomended for me bales performance changed my mind on actors being luvvies, why that is i dont really know? top performances from all involved really and a great true story of a dysfunctional family pulling it together.

top film highly reccomended for me bales performance changed my mind on actors being luvvies, why that is i dont really know? top performances from all involved really and a great true story of a dysfunctional family pulling it together. "

Mmmm , confused , why did it change your mind about actors being luvvies if you don't know why it changed your mind , by the way , in the film they were only kidding on , its not really them if that helps

'wanders off puzzled'

Manchester

top film highly reccomended for me bales performance changed my mind on actors being luvvies, why that is i dont really know? top performances from all involved really and a great true story of a dysfunctional family pulling it together.

Mmmm , confused , why did it change your mind about actors being luvvies if you don't know why it changed your mind , by the way , in the film they were only kidding on , its not really them if that helps

'wanders off puzzled' "

lmao er yeah i can distinguish between whats real and not real and i was gobsmacked to learn that mark walberg wasnt actually the real mickey ward.

I guess i always saw acting as not a serious proffession just actors reading scripts and,, well acting, Bale on the other hand probably gave a very realistic touch to the character as it was a true story,,person he was playing,,,,,anyway back to the cooking anyone for some mushrooms ? back to life back to reality there goes my sanity.

Interesting , funny thing is i read that review on Dailydose . com !"

Appologies , maybe one and the same , Alan Bacchus ?

Manchester

Appologies , maybe one and the same , Alan Bacchus ?"

No worries. I think i have found the words which would be that christian Bales performance changes my view on actors such as it now makes me feel that earning money for acting is as credible as a person who works to earn money ie actually earn it ,,, his performances transcends class.

"actors such as it now makes me feel that earning money for acting is as credible as a person who works to earn money ie actually earn it ,,, his performances transcends class. "

I never thought I would say this but imo

Leo Di Caprio's been doing that for the last 5 years too

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"actors such as it now makes me feel that earning money for acting is as credible as a person who works to earn money ie actually earn it ,,, his performances transcends class.

Leo Di Caprio's been doing that for the last 5 years too"

I wouldnt say Blood Diamond was a class performance

"actors such as it now makes me feel that earning money for acting is as credible as a person who works to earn money ie actually earn it ,,, his performances transcends class.

Leo Di Caprio's been doing that for the last 5 years tooI wouldnt say Blood Diamond was a class performance "

it was a shit film

the departed,the aviator,revolutionary road all superb performances

actually in revolutionary road kate winslet was fucking awesome

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Leo Di Caprio's been doing that for the last 5 years tooI wouldnt say Blood Diamond was a class performance

it was a shit film

actually in revolutionary road kate winslet was fucking awesome"

I agree Revolutionary Road was a good performance but i didnt think that it couldnt have been played by anyone else, they relied on the kate n leo hype to promote because of Titanic....dont get me wrong i like De Caprio, but lets not forget the guys that actually write what he says, those are the people that should be given more acclaim.

Leo Di Caprio's been doing that for the last 5 years tooI wouldnt say Blood Diamond was a class performance

it was a shit film

actually in revolutionary road kate winslet was fucking awesomeI agree Revolutionary Road was a good performance but i didnt think that it couldnt have been played by anyone else, they relied on the kate n leo hype to promote because of Titanic....dont get me wrong i like De Caprio, but lets not forget the guys that actually write what he says, those are the people that should be given more acclaim. "

I agree totally but..erm..I love jimmy mcgoverns writing and i know some actors are better speaking his words than some of the other shit they may have been in and revolutionary road may have been more down to sam mendes' directing,i'm sure kubrick,schlesinger,capra, lean. all pulled more out of actors than was usual but..i'm looking at the acting..i can't see anyone else except Pacino playing Frank Serpico. James Stewart IS George Bailey.as an aside I only saw Revolutionary Road a few weeks ago. The fact they were both in titanic never crossed my mind.mainly cos i didn't like it. and your right i don't give enough credit to the writers

dirtybigbadsgirlville

it was a shit film

actually in revolutionary road kate winslet was fucking awesomeI agree Revolutionary Road was a good performance but i didnt think that it couldnt have been played by anyone else, they relied on the kate n leo hype to promote because of Titanic....dont get me wrong i like De Caprio, but lets not forget the guys that actually write what he says, those are the people that should be given more acclaim.

I agree totally but..erm..I love jimmy mcgoverns writing and i know some actors are better speaking his words than some of the other shit they may have been in and revolutionary road may have been more down to sam mendes' directing,i'm sure kubrick,schlesinger,capra, lean. all pulled more out of actors than was usual but..i'm looking at the acting..i can't see anyone else except Pacino playing Frank Serpico. James Stewart IS George Bailey.as an aside I only saw Revolutionary Road a few weeks ago. The fact they were both in titanic never crossed my mind.mainly cos i didn't like it. and your right i don't give enough credit to the writers "

The directors unless they are writer directors also wouldnt have a pot to piss in without the guys that wrote the damn thing to start with either, Peter Jackson took part credit for Lord of the Rings ffs...he changed about two words....but thats another story.....fully agree about Pacino

» Add a new message to this topic