FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dialing 999

Dialing 999

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *thwalescpl OP   Couple  over a year ago

brecon

Had to give first aid to an old dear who had a fit in the supermarket queue ahead of us tonight, and someone else called 999.

Being a first aid instructor I know what to do, but was gobsmacked when the woman on the phone said "he (the 999 operator) says to put her on her back".

I said no, and put in the correct position (3/4 prone) and cleared her airway. Again she says "he's said to put her on her back", so I said I would talk to him. He was adamant that I put her on her back, so I told him I knew what I was doing and he was wrong "its standard proceedure" he says.

By now I had started to doubt myself, but luckily the ambulance crew and a paramedic car turned up.

After they had sorted her I asked about the "on her back" or not debate, and the paramedic was astonished, saying he (the 999 operator) shouldnt be telling people to do that!

So, best advice, do a course, and be confident in what you are doing.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By *issbehaveCouple  over a year ago

wrexham

Wow, well done you on many accounts, many people would never have helped in the first place, and for standing your ground and doing what you knew was right! You should be proud of yourself !!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

crikey, I hope you have reported the incident in writing. they need to get some training underway for their staff.

brecon

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the 999 operators were all trained to some degree to give advice on this sort of thing.

As to reporting it, not really sure who I would approach.

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

I would report, all calls are recorded and will be available to support training needs.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Considering that all 999 calls are recorded it shouldn't be a problem to sort this out....

"

After they had sorted her I asked about the "on her back" or not debate, and the paramedic was astonished, saying he (the 999 operator) shouldnt be telling people to do that!

"

Well done you're a star xxx However I watched a prog last week and the 999 operator was giving advice on how to deliver a baby in the back seat of a car with excellent outcome. So some must be qualified enough to give out correct info ... having said that I think I'd be able to drain someones lung and pop in a dislocated shoulder after watchin some progs... or at least have a damned good go LOL

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

999 and ask to speak to a 1st line manager/contact centre manager, they can trace the advisor concerned from details of the telephone number the original call was made from. Voice recording is there to ensure support to the customer and the advisor population.

or the Managing Directors Office, Customer Service... address in the phonebook.

[Removed by poster at 02/02/11 21:10:25]

By *ipstickCouple  over a year ago

swansea

Just to throw a spanner in the works here Mr sth - had the person who dialled 999 established with the emergency control room operator that the patient was breathing and therefore didn`t need airway support ? Standard procedure is likely to be a total assessment of the casualties "ABC" which is normally assessed while they are in a prone position . For "over the telephone" instructions , a strict protocol is in place for the control room staff to follow and they should never deviate from that without good reason . All of these telephone calls are monitored and recorded so should you feel that a complaint is required the eveidence will be available and easily accessed - google the Ambulance Trust for the area and it will give you contact details . Mrs Lippy xxxxx

Forum Mod

What a nice thing you did taking care of her while she was ill x

But I can't be the only person to have a vision of this poor lady being put on her back,sat up,put on her back,sat up..........

By *ex.IncCouple  over a year ago

Castleford

As a first responder for the ambulance service its not uncommon either for relatives or medical staff dialling to be told 500 compressions without any rescue breaths for CPR.

If the patient is currently in a fit it is easier to leave them on their back and monitor for vomiting until its over and move them into recovery then (or when it lessens) as its safer for us and the patient. Like i found with a call not so long ago

We deal with first aid situations at work loads and had the same thing about putting the person on their back when four of us knew for well you dont and was said when the ambulance turned up as well !

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"What a nice thing you did taking care of her while she was ill x

But I can't be the only person to have a vision of this poor lady being put on her back,sat up,put on her back,sat up.......... "

lmao me too.

I havn't done first aid course but I would have tried to do the same as you South, and put her in the recovery position.

And View, 999 is only for emergancys you norty boy

By *moothoperator9Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"As a first responder for the ambulance service its not uncommon either for relatives or medical staff dialling to be told 500 compressions without any rescue breaths for CPR."

500 compressions with no ventilation?? I suppose their not that far off..... Only 470 compressions off..... Where do these telephone operators get their information from? And if it was proven that the person had a good chance of survival if they had given the ventilation, what would happen with them?

"Had to give first aid to an old dear who had a fit in the supermarket queue ahead of us tonight, and someone else called 999.

Being a first aid instructor I know what to do, but was gobsmacked when the woman on the phone said "he (the 999 operator) says to put her on her back".

I said no, and put in the correct position (3/4 prone) and cleared her airway. Again she says "he's said to put her on her back", so I said I would talk to him. He was adamant that I put her on her back, so I told him I knew what I was doing and he was wrong "its standard proceedure" he says.

By now I had started to doubt myself, but luckily the ambulance crew and a paramedic car turned up.

So, best advice, do a course, and be confident in what you are doing."

was she actually having a seizure when they told you to put her on her back?

on the side is only the recovery possision

I, myself suffer from epilepsy and have done since i was a small child, tho its pretty much controled now days due to my medication

If someone is actually having a seizure you are supposed to lay they on ther back away from any walls, door frames or anything they can bang themselves on and never ever hold or try to restrain them, just stand back and let them ride it out

you should only move them on their side after if needed, tho most people who 'fit' usually feel as right as rain soon as its over and wonder what all the fuss is about lol

Well if an emergency operator told me to put someone in a 3/4 prone position, I wouldn't have the foggiest. So maybe they just advise to the lowest common denomonator. In an attempt to give the patient some assistance, but not the ideal, until the ambulance arrives.

i find it hard to fathom that the nhs nurse on the other end of the phone was not qualified in offering the the correct advice. Maybe it would have been best to follow the more qualified persons advice.

"i find it hard to fathom that the nhs nurse on the other end of the phone was not qualified in offering the the correct advice. Maybe it would have been best to follow the more qualified persons advice. "

Huh?!!

By *imal75Man  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I don't know much about first aid, so carn't really comment. But would just like to express my thanks to:- _thwalescpl

Well Done x

brecon

"i find it hard to fathom that the nhs nurse on the other end of the phone was not qualified in offering the the correct advice. Maybe it would have been best to follow the more qualified persons advice. "

Are they nurses?

I am qualified as a first aid instructor, and I knew the correct procedure, what I was being told was wrong for the situation I found myself in at the time.

If you are intent on stalking me in the forums and attacking my posts just because we have had a difference of opinion, at least have some knowledge of the subject matter!

brecon

yes may be it would.......... be but if some one told you to jump off a bridge and you knew it to be wrong would you do it???????

when mart went against operators advice it is possible he stopped her swallowing her tongue and choking on her own blood so asked yourself this .............

would you have the confidence to do what mart did and do what he knew to be the right thing????????

Also if you had any first aid knowledge

you would be congratulate him

Jayne

If I was confident what I was seeing was an epileptic fit, then I would put the patient in the recovery position to the airway was clear and remove any objects close to the patient so they couldnt hurt themselves and keep my hands or any other object away from the patients mouth.

If it was an older person having a seizure, or a stranger, I would tend to ring the ambulance straight away. I know some people wait for up to 10 minutes and then ring, but if I wasnt sure of medical history and certainly if the person was elderly, Id get someone to ring straight away whilst I did the above.

By *aren19681Woman  over a year ago

Stockport

Maybe adopting the i know best attitude could have led to dire consequences for "the old dear."

I feel that in such a scenario a person should always follow rather than go against a more qaulified persons requests.

I do not see why you felt the need to share such information, neither do i see what you hope to gain by the post ?

brecon

"Maybe adopting the i know best attitude could have led to dire consequences for "the old dear."

I feel that in such a scenario a person should always follow rather than go against a more qaulified persons requests.

I do not see why you felt the need to share such information, neither do i see what you hope to gain by the post ? "

Ok, so now you are stalking me 'cos he got banned?

You would never have bothered posting on this thread if it wasnt for the fact that you are involved in the other one and your trouble-making post got pulled, get a life!

brecon

"I feel that in such a scenario a person should always follow rather than go against a more qaulified persons requests."

More qualified?

The 999 operators follow a script.

I did ask the paramedics if I was right, and they said yes, as you would have seen if you had read my posts rather than just coming in to attack me.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ignore each other please.

right or wrong its always better to do something than nothing so im glad there are people like you around, for the record though it was propbably the word fit that made the operator give you the advice to lie on back whereas unconscious would be to put in to the recovery position.