FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Shrove Tuesday, tuesday 9th february.

Shrove Tuesday, tuesday 9th february.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oachman 9Cool OP   Man  over a year ago

derby

Pancake day and shrovetide football in ashbourne West derbyshire, I know there Are a few other places in the country They play this game, its origins stem Back to medievil days, now days its two Teams who call themselves the upards and The downards, tussleing and wrestleing in the local river trying to score a goal in the oponents goal, the goalposts Are a mile apart, they play for two Nights the 9th and 10th of february in all conditions up to midnight if conditions are like tonight but Ice or snow would not prevent them playing, they are pretty hardy souls Out in them parts..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Pancake day and shrovetide football in ashbourne West derbyshire, I know there Are a few other places in the country They play this game, its origins stem Back to medievil days, now days its two Teams who call themselves the upards and The downards, tussleing and wrestleing in the local river trying to score a goal in the oponents goal, the goalposts Are a mile apart, they play for two Nights the 9th and 10th of february in all conditions up to midnight if conditions are like tonight but Ice or snow would not prevent them playing, they are pretty hardy souls Out in them parts.. "
what is it they try and get a goal with? A pancake?

I like hearing about the old traditions, we have something similar here not on pancake day though. It's at allerton and referred to as bottle kicking the goal post are the villages and they have to get a ne'er barrel I to the village, one massive rugby scrum up and down and !its of drinking by the onlookers, I've not been for years

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"Pancake day and shrovetide football in ashbourne West derbyshire, I know there Are a few other places in the country They play this game, its origins stem Back to medievil days, now days its two Teams who call themselves the upards and The downards, tussleing and wrestleing in the local river trying to score a goal in the oponents goal, the goalposts Are a mile apart, they play for two Nights the 9th and 10th of february in all conditions up to midnight if conditions are like tonight but Ice or snow would not prevent them playing, they are pretty hardy souls Out in them parts.. "

My friend normally keeps us updated - I can't remember if she's up or down though!

derby

"Pancake day and shrovetide football in ashbourne West derbyshire, I know there Are a few other places in the country They play this game, its origins stem Back to medievil days, now days its two Teams who call themselves the upards and The downards, tussleing and wrestleing in the local river trying to score a goal in the oponents goal, the goalposts Are a mile apart, they play for two Nights the 9th and 10th of february in all conditions up to midnight if conditions are like tonight but Ice or snow would not prevent them playing, they are pretty hardy souls Out in them parts.. what is it they try and get a goal with? A pancake?

I like hearing about the old traditions, we have something similar here not on pancake day though. It's at allerton and referred to as bottle kicking the goal post are the villages and they have to get a ne'er barrel I to the village, one massive rugby scrum up and down and !its of drinking by the onlookers, I've not been for years

"

Yes a pancake smothered in maple syrup encased in a leather ball Might catch on..

I think its good you have a custom Which the locals can get Involved in, If only standing from a distance.. I think for some its a excuse for other things.. well has been in the past but no doubt during the course of history these types will get Involved but most can look after themselves at such times, but normally The game is played cleanly and broadcast on radio derby, and yes I like these traditions I,ve often seen Past footballs that have been used pride of place on the mantle pieces of the local pubs in ashbourne.

derby

"Pancake day and shrovetide football in ashbourne West derbyshire, I know there Are a few other places in the country They play this game, its origins stem Back to medievil days, now days its two Teams who call themselves the upards and The downards, tussleing and wrestleing in the local river trying to score a goal in the oponents goal, the goalposts Are a mile apart, they play for two Nights the 9th and 10th of february in all conditions up to midnight if conditions are like tonight but Ice or snow would not prevent them playing, they are pretty hardy souls Out in them parts..

My friend normally keeps us updated - I can't remember if she's up or down though! "

Its never short of locals who want a piece of the action And you can tell from their enthusiasm What the game means to them it is certainly in their blood and usually Fired up for the game, Interestingly thou you mention a ladie friend who Gets Involved, I honestly can,t visualise seeing a ladie Involved in Any photo,s I,ve seen there but just A sea of men she must be in her element..

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I like pancakes

derby

Yes I like pancakes to, I,ve got some lyles golden syrup ready to splash on them..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I would have absolutely no idea when shrove Tuesday is or Easter unless someone told me!

By *arehamMan  over a year ago

handforth

Love them to.

» Add a new message to this topic