FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sleep Apnea

Sleep Apnea

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ormalguy71 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

I was diagnosed with this about 2/3 years ago by chance after a stay in Hospital. Had to go to the sleep clinic's etc and was prescribed a CPAP machine, but just can not get along with the machine so now do not bother with it. Just wondered if anyone else has similar problems and how they cope ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I had my tonsils out because of it but never had a follow up to see if it had helped or not. I know you can get a retainer sort of thing made that pushes your jaw out when you sleep which they reccomend if you can't get on with the machine.

Best thing to do is to go back to your consultant and ask what other options there are for you

"I was diagnosed with this about 2/3 years ago by chance after a stay in Hospital. Had to go to the sleep clinic's etc and was prescribed a CPAP machine, but just can not get along with the machine so now do not bother with it. Just wondered if anyone else has similar problems and how they cope ?"

Have you asked to try a bypap machine? It works slightly differently than cpap.

You obviously need it with sleep aponea

Tunbridge Wells

Yeah I have heard of the retainer and just don't like the sound of that.

Not heard of a Bpap may look into that.

Was considering buying a mouth guard, the type boxers use and see if that helps

Tunbridge Wells

Its just the whole mask thing over your face at night, firstly it is uncomfortable and secondly I just really don't like them

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Yes I had it, had to be moniterd at the sleep clinic and with one of those machines round my body at home, the two suggestions they came up with was having some kind of guard in my mouth and keep my legs elevated, if that wasn't to work they where talking of one of the machines where you where a mask at night.

But strangely the cause of mine was from being overweight and when I lost weight it went.

Tunbridge Wells

"Yes I had it, had to be moniterd at the sleep clinic and with one of those machines round my body at home, the two suggestions they came up with was having some kind of guard in my mouth and keep my legs elevated, if that wasn't to work they where talking of one of the machines where you where a mask at night.

But strangely the cause of mine was from being overweight and when I lost weight it went."

Very strange, though I have heard it can be weight related. I would not consider myself overweight. Have had it for more years than I can recall but only diagnosed recently.

I think I will try the gum shield see if that works.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Yes I had it, had to be moniterd at the sleep clinic and with one of those machines round my body at home, the two suggestions they came up with was having some kind of guard in my mouth and keep my legs elevated, if that wasn't to work they where talking of one of the machines where you where a mask at night.

But strangely the cause of mine was from being overweight and when I lost weight it went.

Very strange, though I have heard it can be weight related. I would not consider myself overweight. Have had it for more years than I can recall but only diagnosed recently.

I think I will try the gum shield see if that works. "

when it was a possibility I might have to wear a mask I did speak to others that used them and most said it took time to get used to.

Tunbridge Wells

I think I will try the gum shield see if that works. when it was a possibility I might have to wear a mask I did speak to others that used them and most said it took time to get used to."

I did try it for at least 6 months, just hated it, left me with a very dry mouth. Plus its not very attractive if you bring a lady home and have this machine next to the bed lol

"Yeah I have heard of the retainer and just don't like the sound of that.

Was considering buying a mouth guard, the type boxers use and see if that helps"

Bipap often works for people who can't tolerate cpap

Where as cpap is only one setting giving continuous possitive airway pressure, bipap is bilevel appositive airway pressure so settings can be adjusted.

Also have a word with your dr as there are options to the mask for instance nasal canluar which are two prongs up your nose and also you can get pillows too. The mouth guards can depending on how you adapt be cumbersome as you would need to wear a head brace to keep in place.

Tunbridge Wells

"Yeah I have heard of the retainer and just don't like the sound of that.

Was considering buying a mouth guard, the type boxers use and see if that helps

Bipap often works for people who can't tolerate cpap

Where as cpap is only one setting giving continuous possitive airway pressure, bipap is bilevel appositive airway pressure so settings can be adjusted.

Also have a word with your dr as there are options to the mask for instance nasal canluar which are two prongs up your nose and also you can get pillows too. The mouth guards can depending on how you adapt be cumbersome as you would need to wear a head brace to keep in place. "

That's the problem for me, everything seems so large and cluttery, even with the nasal I worry about silly things like the leads when I am asleep etc.

hence why I am thinking of trying the gum shield as a smaller alternative.

By *indys loverCouple  over a year ago

Stratford on avon

I had it a few years back and struggled with the cpap machine , but like goddess I lost some weight and now I don't have the problem

I do still snore tho (allegedly)

My dad has it and you should hear the rows he has with the machine ..don't ask .

Sounds daft ,but,get your sinuses checked .I was told I had it but a Dr checked my sinuses and it turns out I have a deep seated infeaction that causes my nose to block /close when sleeping .so on list to see nose Dr. Also others are right being over weight doesn't help so dieting as well.

» Add a new message to this topic