FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Skin advice

Skin advice

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

This is my first post on here so please be gentle haha

Well to the point I know you lovely fabbers look after yourselves so it's the best place to ask well am hoping anyways haha

Anyways my skin at the moment is awful I've been quite a bit run down lately (and stressing about a little procedure isn't helping) and I've come out in dry skin in places and some stress spots I usually just put some tea tree oil in my bath works a treat but it doesn't seem to be helping this time and I've got very sensitive skin is their anything you would recommend that you use and helps?

Am stressing more that their there n it's defiantly not helping either thank you for any advice

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You tried coal tar soap? I have excema and dry skin sometimes and that stuff really helps.

You might want to look at your diet too, and maybe other habits, because sometimes these go to pot when you're stressed and place additional strain on the body at times like this.

Try to relax also, obviously.

"You tried coal tar soap? I have excema and dry skin sometimes and that stuff really helps.

You might want to look at your diet too, and maybe other habits, because sometimes these go to pot when you're stressed and place additional strain on the body at times like this.

Try to relax also, obviously. "

No I haven't thanks Hun would they sell that in a pharmacy I've had the shampoo as I have excema in my scalp I didn't know their was a wash too thank you X and my diet to be honest has been pretty good lately as am on the slimming world diet so eating lots of fruit and veg and going the gym I think it is down to stress as I've not had 5 minutes to my self lately but my skin has just decided to show it it's probably not as bad as I think but paronioiah is setting in haha thank you x

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Bio Oil is great.

"You tried coal tar soap? I have excema and dry skin sometimes and that stuff really helps.

Try to relax also, obviously.

No I haven't thanks Hun would they sell that in a pharmacy I've had the shampoo as I have excema in my scalp I didn't know their was a wash too thank you X and my diet to be honest has been pretty good lately as am on the slimming world diet so eating lots of fruit and veg and going the gym I think it is down to stress as I've not had 5 minutes to my self lately but my skin has just decided to show it it's probably not as bad as I think but paronioiah is setting in haha thank you x"

Yeah they would have it in the chemists, the chemist can give you advice on your skin also. Possibly thy even have leaflets or advice on stress as well, they're usually really good at helping with almost anything.

You can also get the soap from Body care even, that's where i get mine from and it's very cheap (i buy Wrights brand).

And yeah it's never as bad as what you think it looks like so you're probably right there.

"Bio Oil is great.

"

I've always thought that was for stretch marks? I'll defiantly give it a try I'll try anything right now haha thank you x

By *ngeluk69Woman  over a year ago

Near enough

I have dermatitis on my scalp and face and it's pretty grim when it flares up. I have had to go to my doctors and get crams and lotions as nothing on the high street helps.

The ever changing weather at the moment doesn't help mine but I've got a new cream and shampoo to help things, as well as a nice new moisturiser.

I would recommend having a chat with your GP

As a long term sufferer of acne and recently a bad outbreak of gram negative foliculitis I feel pretty qualified to answer this. For years I had been on antibiotics and Accutane, none of which worked and eventually made things worse.

After a suggestion from Nell I decided to try Manuka honey to wash with twice a day - YES, I SAID HONEY!

I noticed results within days and a week in I'm incredibly happy. It's worked where nothing else has before. You will need a minimum of 16+ active Manuka honey but its worth the expense, trust me.

You also won't need any other products as it also moisturizes the skin and calms things like razor burn.

It has changed my life and I couldn't be happier.

"Yeah they would have it in the chemists, the chemist can give you advice on your skin also. Possibly thy even have leaflets or advice on stress as well, they're usually really good at helping with almost anything.

You can also get the soap from Body care even, that's where i get mine from and it's very cheap (i buy Wrights brand).

And yeah it's never as bad as what you think it looks like so you're probably right there. "

I ask our chemist but they always advise me to go to see the dr but it's having the time to go see them if am honest I have the oilatum bath soap one is that similar it's my sons as he suffers from psoriasis i never thought to try that X I usually deal with stress pretty well I think it's all got on top of me past few weeks I'll be back to me again after this procedure thank you for your help xx

"I have dermatitis on my scalp and face and it's pretty grim when it flares up. I have had to go to my doctors and get crams and lotions as nothing on the high street helps.

The ever changing weather at the moment doesn't help mine but I've got a new cream and shampoo to help things, as well as a nice new moisturiser.

I would recommend having a chat with your GP"

It's having the time if am honest at the minute but I know I should really thank you x

"As a long term sufferer of acne and recently a bad outbreak of gram negative foliculitis I feel pretty qualified to answer this. For years I had been on antibiotics and Accutane, none of which worked and eventually made things worse.

After a suggestion from Nell I decided to try Manuka honey to wash with twice a day - YES, I SAID HONEY!

I noticed results within days and a week in I'm incredibly happy. It's worked where nothing else has before. You will need a minimum of 16+ active Manuka honey but its worth the expense, trust me.

You also won't need any other products as it also moisturizes the skin and calms things like razor burn.

It has changed my life and I couldn't be happier."

I've not heard that before? Where would I get that as I love natural stuff especially with being a aromatherapist that's why I usually use a couple of drops of tea tree oil in my bath (I bath every night) which usually helps but hasn't this time x

I use the Everything balm by Trilogy for dry skin break outs. It was recommended by a pharmacist after I had a reaction once and I've used it since. Amazing stuff for calming skin.

I'd personally avoid cold tar or any kind of soap. They remove sebum from the skin and will make dry patches worse.

"I use the Everything balm by Trilogy for dry skin break outs. It was recommended by a pharmacist after I had a reaction once and I've used it since. Amazing stuff for calming skin. "

Also tea tree oil is drying. Perhaps stop using it and moisturise instead.

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

I'd recommend a visit to your GP.

Best thing I ever did. I suffered with my skin on and off for years tried most products on the market,none of them worked.

It got really bad last year and made me feel really down and self conscious.

I was given cream and a course of tablets and am now much happier and so is my skin.

"As a long term sufferer of acne and recently a bad outbreak of gram negative foliculitis I feel pretty qualified to answer this. For years I had been on antibiotics and Accutane, none of which worked and eventually made things worse.

I've not heard that before? Where would I get that as I love natural stuff especially with being a aromatherapist that's why I usually use a couple of drops of tea tree oil in my bath (I bath every night) which usually helps but hasn't this time x"

Health food shops and herbalists. Manuka comes from bees that have taken pollen from the tea tree bush (the Manuka bush). You can buy a weaker version at supermarkets but the stronger the better. Loads of information online and testimonials as to its effectiveness for numerous conditions from dry skin and acne to gum disease and stomach ulcers.

Thank you everyone for all your advice going to look into it all thank you X

"I use the Everything balm by Trilogy for dry skin break outs. It was recommended by a pharmacist after I had a reaction once and I've used it since. Amazing stuff for calming skin.

Also tea tree oil is drying. Perhaps stop using it and moisturise instead. "

Thank you Hun I also always moisturise too afterwards but gona look into all of them and give them a try thank you x

By *r ManxMan  over a year ago

NeverWhere

How much plain water are you drinking?

"I use the Everything balm by Trilogy for dry skin break outs. It was recommended by a pharmacist after I had a reaction once and I've used it since. Amazing stuff for calming skin.

Also tea tree oil is drying. Perhaps stop using it and moisturise instead.

Thank you Hun I also always moisturise too afterwards but gona look into all of them and give them a try thank you x"

Don't try everything, you could be wasting money or make things worse. Choose one treatment at a time, perhaps ask to see a dermatologist to see if it's a medical problem.

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Drink lots of water, make sure your diet is good and moisturise.

"Drink lots of water, make sure your diet is good and moisturise. "

Also check side effects of medicine if on any. Steroids make me break out for weeks after a course.

"How much plain water are you drinking?"

if am honest i only drink water with a bit of juice in it other wise am not a big fan but i probably should really drink more x

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"How much plain water are you drinking?

if am honest i only drink water with a bit of juice in it other wise am not a big fan but i probably should really drink more x"

2 litres a day.

"Don't try everything, you could be wasting money or make things worse. Choose one treatment at a time, perhaps ask to see a dermatologist to see if it's a medical problem."

I'm not am just going to look into them all and decide which one i think suits me best and try that and if that doesn't work after a couple of weeks then maybe try something different that someone else has suggested thank you x

Edinburgh

"Bio Oil is great.

I've always thought that was for stretch marks? I'll defiantly give it a try I'll try anything right now haha thank you x"

I bought it after a recommendation for scar tissue after facial surgery a couple of years ago. I started using it on just the scar but then I found that it soaked into my dry skin beautifully so I kept using it on my whole face.

It actually came up on a thread about skincare the other day and someone mentioned that the pound shop do a cheaper alternative that's just as good.

"Also check side effects of medicine if on any. Steroids make me break out for weeks after a course. "

my medication hasn't changed so i don't think its that i really do feel its due to stress i have a little boy with additional needs who's been a very big handful and lots of appointments past few weeks regarding him and then my procedure on top of that so panicking a bit about the side effects of that so i know its down to that and i need to ease of a bit but that doesn't look like its happening for a few weeks at least so I'll just have to deal with this as a separate issue until i have time to just sit down and reflect for a bit xx

Edinburgh

if am honest i only drink water with a bit of juice in it other wise am not a big fan but i probably should really drink more x

2 litres a day. "

And this... good advice!

2 litres a day. "

i get two normal bottles in if am lucky haha but with juice in think I'll have to start forcing myself to drink it again thank you xx

I would also suggest Manuka honey, you get it from Holland and Barrett (I'm never out of that shop).

I don't have skin problems at all but I have been using Manuka honey for the last 2 days to help my cough and I am loads better.

The shop assistant told me about the benefits of Manuka honey and acne and skin problems were something she raved positively about.

Go the highest number on the honey as you can. It's not cheap, it's about £25 a jar but it is good.

"Bio Oil is great.

I've always thought that was for stretch marks? I'll defiantly give it a try I'll try anything right now haha thank you x

I bought it after a recommendation for scar tissue after facial surgery a couple of years ago. I started using it on just the scar but then I found that it soaked into my dry skin beautifully so I kept using it on my whole face.

It actually came up on a thread about skincare the other day and someone mentioned that the pound shop do a cheaper alternative that's just as good. "

Amazon sell it for about £12 for 200ml. Better than the £20 in Boots.

"Bio Oil is great.

It actually came up on a thread about skincare the other day and someone mentioned that the pound shop do a cheaper alternative that's just as good. "

really wow that's defiantly worth a try thank you x

2 litres a day.

And this... good advice! "

thank you x

"I would also suggest Manuka honey, you get it from Holland and Barrett (I'm never out of that shop).

I don't have skin problems at all but I have been using Manuka honey for the last 2 days to help my cough and I am loads better.

The shop assistant told me about the benefits of Manuka honey and acne and skin problems were something she raved positively about.

Go the highest number on the honey as you can. It's not cheap, it's about £25 a jar but it is good. "

thank you x

"Bio Oil is great.

It actually came up on a thread about skincare the other day and someone mentioned that the pound shop do a cheaper alternative that's just as good.

Amazon sell it for about £12 for 200ml. Better than the £20 in Boots. "

thank you x

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Belfast

Good, cold pressed organic coconut oil.. It's moisturising, smells fantastic and has lauric acid in it which is anti- bacterial.. Xx.

It has changed my life and I couldn't be happier."

Surely the smell of honey is going to be a little strong though?

thank you everyone x

Surely the smell of honey is going to be a little strong though? "

You rinse it off after about 3 minutes but once a week apply it as a face mask for 30 minutes.

Belfast

Additionally.. Have you tried nicotinamide (a form of vitamin b3) gel?

Accutane is an extremely heavy duty compound that comes with all sorts of potential terrible side effects and should really only be used as a last resort.

Freederm products contain nicotinamide... It works by reducing inflammation, much milder than retinoids and doesn't cause increased melanoma / sun sensitivity risks.

Honey contains natural peroxide, that's why it's lauded as possessing antibacterial properties.

Xx.

Mrwho... would this also work for a break out on someone's back?

Curious as I keep getting issues with spots, not nice when i want to go out to play but are too self conscious of how I look

I suffer with psoriasis and have tried many treatments . Stress and weather change can bring on attacks get yourself to your gp and see if you can get some doublebase cream its an emoliant(moisturiser) alternatively try E45 cream available at chemist but personally i would see the gp. I have worked through the various creams lotions pills and other treatments but now found a medication that works for me. Its just a case of yrial and error to find what suits you. Good luck

I used to suffer hormonal breakouts ,discovered propolis gel which comes from bees....it was in a pack with dads arnica gel....started using it last july and by sept i hardly had a spot left....its a natural bacteriacide and you only need a little to cover as it goes along way and in middle price range.x

Had a google and wrights coal tar soap doesn't even have any coal tar in it. It still helps with my eczema though, might be the coconut stuff in it or something, idk.

Belfast

"Had a google and wrights coal tar soap doesn't even have any coal tar in it. It still helps with my eczema though, might be the coconut stuff in it or something, idk."

Coal tar containing products are scarce to non-existant these days, something to with new eu regulations .

"Had a google and wrights coal tar soap doesn't even have any coal tar in it. It still helps with my eczema though, might be the coconut stuff in it or something, idk.

Coal tar containing products are scarce to non-existant these days, something to with new eu regulations . "

It's a rare commodity? I did see EU think it's carciogenic.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

I have discoid eczema which isn't very pleasant (looks like fucking ringworm when I get a flare up!) I use aqeuous cream almost every day on my body. I get a big tub of it in the pound shop. My facial skin is prone to spots so I use an oil free moisturiser which I think is by garnier. A little tube is a few quid but it lasts me ages.

Belfast

"I have discoid eczema which isn't very pleasant (looks like fucking ringworm when I get a flare up!) I use aqeuous cream almost every day on my body. I get a big tub of it in the pound shop. My facial skin is prone to spots so I use an oil free moisturiser which I think is by garnier. A little tube is a few quid but it lasts me ages. "

Be careful with heavy mineral oil /petroleum based topical creams.

Petroleum doesn't absorb into the skin or moisturise, it sits on the top layer and basically suffocates the lower layers, you'd be better with coconut oil or jojoba oil.. Much more nutritive for the skin and dose not form a pore clogging / skin suffocating barrier. Xx.

South East Midlands NOT

"I have discoid eczema which isn't very pleasant (looks like fucking ringworm when I get a flare up!) I use aqeuous cream almost every day on my body. I get a big tub of it in the pound shop. My facial skin is prone to spots so I use an oil free moisturiser which I think is by garnier. A little tube is a few quid but it lasts me ages.

Petroleum doesn't absorb into the skin or moisturise, it sits on the top layer and basically suffocates the lower layers, you'd be better with coconut oil or jojoba oil.. Much more nutritive for the skin and dose not form a pore clogging / skin suffocating barrier. Xx. "

Thank you. I've been using it for a number of years now though and have only had good results. Only had a flare up when i've stopped using it regularly!

Belfast

"I have discoid eczema which isn't very pleasant (looks like fucking ringworm when I get a flare up!) I use aqeuous cream almost every day on my body. I get a big tub of it in the pound shop. My facial skin is prone to spots so I use an oil free moisturiser which I think is by garnier. A little tube is a few quid but it lasts me ages.

Petroleum doesn't absorb into the skin or moisturise, it sits on the top layer and basically suffocates the lower layers, you'd be better with coconut oil or jojoba oil.. Much more nutritive for the skin and dose not form a pore clogging / skin suffocating barrier. Xx.

Thank you. I've been using it for a number of years now though and have only had good results. Only had a flare up when i've stopped using it regularly! "

It sounds like a vicious cycle, the breakouts are the toxics in the lower layers coming out that have been "sealed" in. I'd recommend sticking your next break out.. Out and binning the cheap mineral oil creams. Mineral oil/ petroleum based products don't miniature. An oil film on your top layers is the best they can offer .. Xx.

South East Midlands NOT

Thank you. I've been using it for a number of years now though and have only had good results. Only had a flare up when i've stopped using it regularly!

It sounds like a vicious cycle, the breakouts are the toxics in the lower layers coming out that have been "sealed" in. I'd recommend sticking your next break out.. Out and binning the cheap mineral oil creams. Mineral oil/ petroleum based products don't miniature. An oil film on your top layers is the best they can offer .. Xx. "

No...I suffer break out because my skin gets dry. When it's not dry, no problems.

Hydrate from the inside.. At least 2 litres of water a day. Moisturise the outside.. Fragrance free moisturiser, like aqueous cream or similar . everyday, not just when skin is bad... Prevention is better than cure....

Belfast

"Hydrate from the inside.. At least 2 litres of water a day. Moisturise the outside.. Fragrance free moisturiser, like aqueous cream or similar . everyday, not just when skin is bad... Prevention is better than cure.... "

For sure, a good diet is the foundation for any good skin care regime.

I have to add though "aqueous cream" is petroleum based , don't get me wrong.. Petroleum is a useful substance to prevent wind burn and chaps but it is far too heavy and pore clogging to use in a day-to-day moisturiser. It doesn't absorb into the lower skin layers.. It's basically a glaze that sits and suffocates the lower layers.

Thus sealing in toxins and causes recurring break outs.

Beeswax and oils like jojoba / coconut are much much better.

"Additionally.. Have you tried nicotinamide (a form of vitamin b3) gel?

Accutane is an extremely heavy duty compound that comes with all sorts of potential terrible side effects and should really only be used as a last resort.

Freederm products contain nicotinamide... It works by reducing inflammation, much milder than retinoids and doesn't cause increased melanoma / sun sensitivity risks.

Honey contains natural peroxide, that's why it's lauded as possessing antibacterial properties.

Xx. "

Accutane nearly killed me! It can only be prescribed by a consultant dermatologist and you have to have a blood test every 8 weeks. They still missed the fact my liver was almost completely shut down though.

Only Manuka honey contains hydrogen peroxide due to the nectar it's produced from (and where it gets its name) anything below 16+ is unlikely to have much effect though.

Belfast

Xx.

Accutane nearly killed me! It can only be prescribed by a consultant dermatologist and you have to have a blood test every 8 weeks. They still missed the fact my liver was almost completely shut down though.

Only Manuka honey contains hydrogen peroxide due to the nectar it's produced from (and where it gets its name) anything below 16+ is unlikely to have much effect though."

Hun, I'm well aware. It can cause suicidal depression.. Birth defects.. Liver damage, it's a very potent compound that should be prescribed ONLY as a last resort.

RETIN-A is also a good topical acne treatment, since the patent lapsed and Johnson and Johnson lost European exclusivity on the compound it's vanished from the UK market, which is a shame as it truly is amongst the most effective topical acne treatments (as well as having wrinkle reducing / anti-agin properties).

The only retinoids currently available in the UK market are galderma made (L'Oreal / nestle owned) differin.. Which is rubbish and takes considerably longer for patients to see a benefit ,also not available as a generic so expensive to prescribe .. Or ISOtretinoin..which is an altered RETIN-A compound and not available as a generic either.

Xx.

Xx.

Only Manuka honey contains hydrogen peroxide due to the nectar it's produced from (and where it gets its name) anything below 16+ is unlikely to have much effect though.

Hun, I'm well aware. It can cause suicidal depression.. Birth defects.. Liver damage, it's a very potent compound that should be prescribed ONLY as a last resort.

RETIN-A is also a good topical acne treatment, since the patent lapsed and Johnson and Johnson lost European exclusivity on the compound it's vanished from the UK market, which is a shame as it truly is amongst the most effective topical acne treatments (as well as having wrinkle reducing / anti-agin properties).

The only retinoids currently available in the UK market are galderma made (L'Oreal / nestle owned) differin.. Which is rubbish and takes considerably longer for patients to see a benefit ,also not available as a generic so expensive to prescribe .. Or ISOtretinoin..which is an altered RETIN-A compound and not available as a generic either.

Xx. "

Isotretonin is Accutane. None of the treatments ever worked for me with one exception - Minocycline. I was on it for ten years but I've had to stop taking it as my acne has mutated (due to long term exposure to minicycline) and its now Gram Negative Foliculitis, the only recognised treatment for it is either tromethoprim (rarely effective) or Accutane/isotretonin (I can't take it). The maluka honey was the last option I really had and I was amazed that it worked where everything medical science threw at me didn't.

Belfast

Xx.

Xx.

Isotretonin is Accutane. None of the treatments ever worked for me with one exception - Minocycline. I was on it for ten years but I've had to stop taking it as my acne has mutated (due to long term exposure to minicycline) and its now Gram Negative Foliculitis, the only recognised treatment for it is either tromethoprim (rarely effective) or Accutane/isotretonin (I can't take it). The maluka honey was the last option I really had and I was amazed that it worked where everything medical science threw at me didn't."

Topical retinoids.. I meant. You should investigate RETIN-A..it really is very well tolerated usually with the exception of mild peeling to begin with for some and increased sun sensitivity (which can be offset with a decent spf).

A private dermatologist might be in a position to issue you a prescription.

It's beyond baffling though a potent oral retinoid like iso is still available / prescribed and RETIN-A is languishing in limbo with no derma-pharmaceutical stepping in to make a RETIN-A generic since j&j dropped the baton.. Xx.

"Hydrate from the inside.. At least 2 litres of water a day. Moisturise the outside.. Fragrance free moisturiser, like aqueous cream or similar . everyday, not just when skin is bad... Prevention is better than cure....

I have to add though "aqueous cream" is petroleum based , don't get me wrong.. Petroleum is a useful substance to prevent wind burn and chaps but it is far too heavy and pore clogging to use in a day-to-day moisturiser. It doesn't absorb into the lower skin layers.. It's basically a glaze that sits and suffocates the lower layers.

Beeswax and oils like jojoba / coconut are much much better. "

Aqueous cream is water based not oil based. It can be used to wash with instead of soap.

Belfast

"Hydrate from the inside.. At least 2 litres of water a day. Moisturise the outside.. Fragrance free moisturiser, like aqueous cream or similar . everyday, not just when skin is bad... Prevention is better than cure....

Aqueous cream is water based not oil based. It can be used to wash with instead of soap."

Not so..

Liquid Paraffin, White Soft Paraffin , paraffinum liquidum all heavy pore clogging petroleum derivatives.. Your skin can not utilise or absorb them, they sit on the top layers suffocating the lower levels and clogging pores.

Xx.

Aqueous cream is water based not oil based. It can be used to wash with instead of soap.

Not so..

Liquid Paraffin, White Soft Paraffin , paraffinum liquidum all heavy pore clogging petroleum derivatives.. Your skin can not utilise or absorb them, they sit on the top layers suffocating the lower levels and clogging pores.

Xx. "

I haven't seen a tub lately to see the ingredients, however, I'm sure you'd find the emollient aspect (paraffin) lower in the list. Also, when used as a soap substitute, it is rinsed off.

Belfast

Not so..

Xx.

I haven't seen a tub lately to see the ingredients, however, I'm sure you'd find the emollient aspect (paraffin) lower in the list. Also, when used as a soap substitute, it is rinsed off."

Oh I assumed you suffered from acne as it was the theme of the thread.

Having looked at your profile and seeing your listed Age petroleum based products might be of benefit to you as those types of creams with pet derived bases seal in moisture (mature skin often lacks the ability to retain moisture) and also lends a dewy, firming effect to the complexion / feel.

Not being rude btw by referencing your age, for those with very acne prone skin petroleum based products can cause awful problems .

Good luck.

Not so..

Xx.

I haven't seen a tub lately to see the ingredients, however, I'm sure you'd find the emollient aspect (paraffin) lower in the list. Also, when used as a soap substitute, it is rinsed off.

Having looked at your profile and seeing your listed Age petroleum based products might be of benefit to you as those types of creams with pet derived bases seal in moisture (mature skin often lacks the ability to retain moisture) and also lends a dewy, firming effect to the complexion / feel.

Not being rude btw by referencing your age, for those with very acne prone skin petroleum based products can cause awful problems .

Good luck. "

My skin is old but fine .

OP there are a great many products out there. Your GP's advice is the best one. May I add that not only stress will affect your skin but so will new diet and exercise regimes as they push the toxins out. It may simply be that.

Do keep up with the diet and exercise but also ensure adequate fluid as others have said.

Belfast

Not so..

Xx.

Good luck.

My skin is old but fine .

OP there are a great many products out there. Your GP's advice is the best one. May I add that not only stress will affect your skin but so will new diet and exercise regimes as they push the toxins out. It may simply be that.

Do keep up with the diet and exercise but also ensure adequate fluid as others have said."

It sure is.. You have the decolletage of a 20-something.

Assumed before looking at your profile you were 20-something based on the peachy supple decolletage thumbnail ..

Xx.

Xx.

Isotretonin is Accutane. None of the treatments ever worked for me with one exception - Minocycline. I was on it for ten years but I've had to stop taking it as my acne has mutated (due to long term exposure to minicycline) and its now Gram Negative Foliculitis, the only recognised treatment for it is either tromethoprim (rarely effective) or Accutane/isotretonin (I can't take it). The maluka honey was the last option I really had and I was amazed that it worked where everything medical science threw at me didn't.

Topical retinoids.. I meant. You should investigate RETIN-A..it really is very well tolerated usually with the exception of mild peeling to begin with for some and increased sun sensitivity (which can be offset with a decent spf).

A private dermatologist might be in a position to issue you a prescription.

It's beyond baffling though a potent oral retinoid like iso is still available / prescribed and RETIN-A is languishing in limbo with no derma-pharmaceutical stepping in to make a RETIN-A generic since j&j dropped the baton.. Xx. "

I've been on Retin-A, it did bugger all (just like all other topical treatments). I've seen a private dermatologist who tried a lot of things, none of which worked either although amazing she made herself £1000 richer!!!

Like I said further up the thread high strength active Manuka honey is the only thing I've found that works and has truly changed my life.

Oh, and Retin-A and Accutane are both just (essentially) very high doses of vitamin-A.

Belfast

"Oh, and Retin-A and Accutane are both just (essentially) very high doses of vitamin-A."
RETIN-A and iso are different retinoids..

Iso for example doesn't plump or firn skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines or fade acne scars like RETIN-A.

They're both derived from the same base but different in how they behave /effect skin when applied.

All retinoids are derived from vitamin A...

Good luck anyway hun, that acne ordeal sounds horrific . .

Beeswax and oils like jojoba / coconut are much much better. "

It is water based

It has small amounts of petrolatum and parraffinum liquidum. Just enough to do the right job.

Anyone prone to very dry skin or eczema generally has a damaged outer layer so the protection is needed to hold in moisture and stop bacteria getting in.

By *luezuluMan  over a year ago

Suffolk

Get some porridge oats, put half a cup into a sock. run a bath and lie in it for 20 mins or so.

The bath water turns milky white. works wonders for my Psoriasis

"Oh, and Retin-A and Accutane are both just (essentially) very high doses of vitamin-A. RETIN-A and iso are different retinoids..

Iso for example doesn't plump or firn skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines or fade acne scars like RETIN-A.

They're both derived from the same base but different in how they behave /effect skin when applied.

All retinoids are derived from vitamin A...

Good luck anyway hun, that acne ordeal sounds horrific . ."

They behave differently because one is topical and the other is taken orally. My personal experience with both has been negative but I'm aware my case is pretty exceptional and only accounts for about 1% of the feedback from both.

My recent outbreak has been horrific, probably the worst its been in 25yrs and the honey has been a god send. Thanks for the supportive words.

waves hand - it was me who said pound shops have a bio oil copy - i use it all over after my shower every day - not often on my face though (dont ask me why i just havent ) - id say keep things simple as possible - - witch hazel to cleanse - rose water to tone - aqueous cream to moisturise - bet you get that lot for less than a tenner and will last you a while

Poor skin condition is often a window on your general health.

Fill your body with crap food and little fluid and it is bound to result in side effects.

Eat well and drink lots of water or water with a little squash in it.

I visited a clinic who encouraged me to drink more fluid and cut down on various other things. I was given herbal pills to encourage my bowel to operate correctly and probiotics. I then had three colonic irrigation sessions. After the third session my tummy went almost flat and I have felt so good ever since. My skin used to have dry patches but now it's soft and smooth.

honey lemon and ginger drink on a morning helps on top of moisurizing its excellent detox drink helps with stress lots good things in it and took for many reasons

shirl x

» Add a new message to this topic