FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Clever Dog

Clever Dog

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *osie OP   Woman  over a year ago

Wembley

No, not the woof, woof, man's best friend, kind; but the camera

Got a dozen of these and connected these up to the Internet so I can monitor the house when I am at work

Does anyone know if the connection is secure? I received a 'notification' last night. I got 'caught' by my own camera; thankfully, it does't show my face; thought it was a reasonable 'piccy' so I added it to my profile. But I don't want someone on the other side of the world perving over me whilst I walk around the house with 'nuffing' on

For now, the cameras are disconnected until I find out more

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They're as secure as any connection to your phone, and nothing is hack proof

But I wouldn't think you have anything to be worried about

Besides, you can always turn them off when you're in the house

Wembley

Is there a software 'switch' to turn these off?

These don't have a on/off switch so I have unplugged for the moment. But plugging in and unplugging a dozen cameras on a daily basis will be a bit of a pain

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

"Sort of" secure;

The data is stored locally; so it's not splurging your pic it's over t'interweb all the time:

However, it's only as secure as your wifi system, or your phone connection; I don't think the link going to your phone / internet access is encrypted, it's just P2P, so if someone can hack your wifi or phone, then they can easily access it.

There is a case in the US where a similar system was installed for security; it had the opposite effect, in that it was hacked, the burglars could then check that the house was actually empty; then disabled the cameras, burgled the house, then reset the cameras remotely after they had left.

I don't think it was the same system, but similar. So technology doesn't always work....

Here are some top tips:

Buy Digital

Only buy a digital monitor that is password protected, not an analog version that operates on an open radio frequency.

Change Default Passwords.

During setup, change the factory defaults on the monitor so that the password is long, strong and device specific. This case we are talking about probably had a default password in place, making it easy to hack.

Firewall Your Privacy.

Install a firewall between your Internet connection and ALL devices to keep the peeping Toms out. Hire a professional to set it up properly.

Lock Down Wi-Fi.

Make sure your Wi-Fi network is locked down properly with WPA2+ encryption and SSID masking so it can’t be hacked.

Turn Devices Off.

If you are not using the device, turn it off, as hackers can more easily crack devices that are up 24/7.

Wembley

Thanks guys

These are digital; well these are HD, so am assuming these are digital

I haven't changed the default password. Didn't know how to. Will look into that tonight

If you go through the Google then the Hacking tool you can see lists and list of people's insecure nanny cams etc. It's very sinister.

I only know this because someone used it to change our environmental controls.

Honest.

By *ouplefunukCouple  over a year ago

North Bristol

Also be wary of logging in via any public Internet access points like you'd find in Maccy D's or Starbucks.

They are by their very nature open!

That goes for any sites etc that you have to log in to. It's relatively easy hack.

*Him*

Wembley

Thanks everyone

This is worrying; my shutter motors are connected to a TaHomA box. The exterior security cameras are connected to a NVR. My curtains are also remotely controlled

I don't care much if someone hacks into the curtain motor and opens or closes the curtains whilst I am away. But the shutters are there for security too. For the moment, I will disconnect the scenario programmer from the TaHomA

By the way, I never log on to the Internet using public access. I have 6GB of 4G data in my price plan and I have never exceeded that. Even when logged on to FabS for days on end

» Add a new message to this topic