FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Diet Starts Today Mark2!

Diet Starts Today Mark2!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So its been a week since MsDemeanor started her thread and it got full up of other crud!

How is everyone doing?

I did my normal thing whereby I have a few good days, then fail to plan, resulting in eating whatever is to hand.

Consequently only lost a lb but I will be working very hard this week so hoping for better next week x

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Weekly weigh in later today .. Been a mixed week, some sinning, some virtuous days .. If I can come out of it with a slight net loss I'll be happy! Need to average 1.5lb a week until Easter to hit my interim goal

"Weekly weigh in later today .. Been a mixed week, some sinning, some virtuous days .. If I can come out of it with a slight net loss I'll be happy! Need to average 1.5lb a week until Easter to hit my interim goal "

Its hard to keep focussed, isn't it x

By *ingle Beds LassWoman  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

1lb this week for me, but still not strictly on the kick yet... Still getting my head around it

Just diet for one day. Today.

Forget yesterday and tomorrow. Pretty much everyone can do one day.

"Just diet for one day. Today.

Forget yesterday and tomorrow. Pretty much everyone can do one day. "

I have the same philosophy. Except substitute 'today' for 'tomorrow'

My weigh in is Wednesday

Don't know if I have lost anything or not as not been so good this week. But even if I've lost half a pound I will be happy because it's not a gain

Would it be unnecessarily evil to ask everyone to just *imagine* the taste of all those things they're missing as they start to hit the wall after three and a half weeks of the new year diets?

I mean, just think what a Rocky Road cake tastes like, biscuits, marshmallow, soft creamy chocolate ... Mmm

What else are we missing!?

Weigh in for me is on a Wednesday

Really want a 2lb loss this week as that would be my next bit of bling at Slimming World.. Stone and a half award.

I set myself a target to lose half a stone in 6 weeks. If i get my 2 lb loss id have smashed it in just 2 weeks

Ive been really on plan this week and upped my physical exercise this week. In the past ive had small gains when ive done more activity so i am preparing for that but i wont beat myself up over it as ive made amazing choices that i know with benefit me in the long run

By *agan_PairCouple  over a year ago

portchester

I'm (Paul) down 11pounds now since the 1st. Had a be weekend though so a little worried about hitting the scales later.

Trying to eat well, keeping the carbs and fat down until I start work again then I can start dropping more weight

I slept through fat club on Saturday (it's really early ) so I don't know my actual weight, but I'm almost back in my skinny jeans from last summer so I must be approaching where I was then. Hopefully not long to go before I can start losing 'new' weight

Pleasant surprise when I did the weekly weigh in - 3.5lb or quarter of a stone loss! That'll do, it's been stuck in a rut recently so good to kickstart it again!

By *aucy tiggerWoman  over a year ago

Back where I belong

Had a weigh in last night and have lost 5lbs - whoopee xx

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

I've been on mine a few weeks.

It's not a diet as such, more a change of eating habits. I tried this several times last year and didn't stick to it but I'm working on the theory I haven't failed until I stop trying.

I've cut out sugar and virtually all processed foods and am being selective about the carbs I eat. I've cut my portion sizes. That kind of thing.

At the moment it's still difficult. My stomach thinks my throat has been cut and I'm hating it. It'll get easier.

I'm reading about healthy gut flora and how to encourage it, and am incorporating that advice.

I'm not weighing myself to start with. I have a scary 5 and a half stone, perhaps a little more to lose, so it's going to be a long haul trip. I'm trying to form new good habits before I start obsessing over what my scales say.

I don't know if I've lost any weight yet but I'm fastening my belt two holes tighter so I'm definitely less bloated.

Wow some good losses this week. I started last Tuesday. Getting weighed on Thursday. Haven't touched a crisp all week - they were my downfall recently. Hoping for a good result Thursday.

Upped the walking again too and gym work.

Sarah

"I've been on mine a few weeks.

It's not a diet as such, more a change of eating habits. I tried this several times last year and didn't stick to it but I'm working on the theory I haven't failed until I stop trying.

I've cut out sugar and virtually all processed foods and am being selective about the carbs I eat. I've cut my portion sizes. That kind of thing.

At the moment it's still difficult. My stomach thinks my throat has been cut and I'm hating it. It'll get easier.

I'm reading about healthy gut flora and how to encourage it, and am incorporating that advice.

I'm not weighing myself to start with. I have a scary 5 and a half stone, perhaps a little more to lose, so it's going to be a long haul trip. I'm trying to form new good habits before I start obsessing over what my scales say.

I don't know if I've lost any weight yet but I'm fastening my belt two holes tighter so I'm definitely less bloated."

Small steps.

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

My weigh in is on Thursday I am 1/4 a lb short of 1 stone this year

Just finished my gym session in 48 mins cycled 9.13km and ran 3.77km

Slowly getting fitness back - goal is to do 9.5km and 4km in the same time just need to loose a bit more weight and get power back

I am also doing 40 sit ups a session to loose the 'dad bod'

But on my non gym days walking from the station before work morning and evening

It's hard work don't get me wrong but I will get there

I lost 3lbs last week which was better than I expected as I haven't exactly been a

"I've been on mine a few weeks.

I don't know if I've lost any weight yet but I'm fastening my belt two holes tighter so I'm definitely less bloated.

Small steps."

It's avoiding pigging out on sugar when I get stressed that's going to be the difficult part.

I'm an instant gratification type person so cake now vs. benefits of a long haul struggle a year or more down the road? Cake often wins. I could be hit by a bus tomorrow after all

I'm not back on it officially till Feb had too much on in Jan which I knew wouldn't give me the best start.

However, I've stayed the same for the last 3 weeks & I'm 2Ib off entering a new stone number

"I lost 3lbs last week which was better than I expected as I haven't exactly been a "

Well done

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I've cut out the real in my jd I'm now on the disgusting diet muck. I've stopped getting my normal fat basted breakfast at work and I've only had 1 chinky on my way home but I've still no scales so no idea if I've lost out or not but what I have found out which you lot probably already know is dieting if fucking boring and I don't like it

Well done all, that's excellent news all round. I'm 2lb down this week so it's going in the right direction.

Keep up the good work. x

Manchester

"Well done all, that's excellent news all round. I'm 2lb down this week so it's going in the right direction.

Keep up the good work. x"

Will you stop changing your avatar I keep having to perv you to see who you are......hmmmmm hang on what am I saying doh

"I've cut out the real in my jd I'm now on the disgusting diet muck. I've stopped getting my normal fat basted breakfast at work and I've only had 1 chinky on my way home but I've still no scales so no idea if I've lost out or not but what I have found out which you lot probably already know is dieting if fucking boring and I don't like it "

Try Coke Zero - it's much more like 'normal' Coke than the diet version

"I lost 3lbs last week which was better than I expected as I haven't exactly been a

Well done "

Thank you. Doing Dry January has definitely helped

Manchester

"I've cut out the real in my jd I'm now on the disgusting diet muck. I've stopped getting my normal fat basted breakfast at work and I've only had 1 chinky on my way home but I've still no scales so no idea if I've lost out or not but what I have found out which you lot probably already know is dieting if fucking boring and I don't like it

Try Coke Zero - it's much more like 'normal' Coke than the diet version "

OK cheers I'll give it a go

By *ikeC81Man  over a year ago

harrow

I have had the odd Sprite Zero witch is actually ok

"Well done all, that's excellent news all round. I'm 2lb down this week so it's going in the right direction.

Keep up the good work. x

Will you stop changing your avatar I keep having to perv you to see who you are......hmmmmm hang on what am I saying doh"

Manchester

Keep up the good work. x

Will you stop changing your avatar I keep having to perv you to see who you are......hmmmmm hang on what am I saying doh

"

Hussy

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

I've done a muscle in, in my leg and I wanted to go to the gym today

"I've cut out the real in my jd I'm now on the disgusting diet muck. I've stopped getting my normal fat basted breakfast at work and I've only had 1 chinky on my way home but I've still no scales so no idea if I've lost out or not but what I have found out which you lot probably already know is dieting if fucking boring and I don't like it

Try Coke Zero - it's much more like 'normal' Coke than the diet version

OK cheers I'll give it a go "

Pepsi max is good also but I've cut out Coke and have slimline tonic in my vodka and cut out sugar in my coffee

My partners away all week with his girlfriends, so I'm hitting the diet wagon again. :D Ramen noodles and water is basically my diet. :D

Keep up the good work. x

Hussy "

I like to keep you on your toes.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Just diet for one day. Today.

Forget yesterday and tomorrow. Pretty much everyone can do one day. "

So true, and fortunately for me that day was yesterday, so I've really earned this fry-up.

1 more lb to go to hit my end of Jan target

^^(closest I can get to 'fingers crossed)

Mr ddc

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I've hardly lost any weight so far this year. But I'm completly back in my routine so I know it will come off, I should know my body by now it's never as simple as a steady loss each week.

But the odd thing is all the jumpers and cardigans I've been buying are a size 8 where as I was a size 10 haven't taken my measurements might do that.

Still a pissed when you want to see the scales have moved though

January done and I achieved my goal of losing all the December gain (and a little bit more) so I'm net 1lb lighter than at the start of December!

February goal is another half a stone, again around 1.5lb a week on average, steady consistent progress rather than drastic ??

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

Belle is on a mission to get back to her pre uni weight. Training 5 times a week and eating 1200 cal

I've decided to throw away my scales and go by dress size!

It's so much better for my sanity!

I'm not on a diet either - I still have a little bit of what I want - but just a LITTLE bit not ALL of it!

I don't buy cheese ( mmmm cheese ) and I'm not giving up anything!

I still drink wine and eat cake

I cycle to work and back each day and try to take a healthy pack lunch instead of eating pub grub or packaged sandwiches.

I have gone down 1 dress size this month

"I've decided to throw away my scales and go by dress size!

I'm not on a diet either - I still have a little bit of what I want - but just a LITTLE bit not ALL of it!

I cycle to work and back each day and try to take a healthy pack lunch instead of eating pub grub or packaged sandwiches.

I have gone down 1 dress size this month "

I can really vouch for throwing the scales away. I used to be obsessed with weighing myself and it was a nightmare, I'm currently going by dress size and I can see the difference in my stomach already.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I've just filled my desk lots of bottles of water. I saw a horrid image of myself on

Saturday & hope it's the kick I needed!!!!

I'm starting again today, second half of last week I was crap. But it's now February and Lent is on its way.

"January done and I achieved my goal of losing all the December gain (and a little bit more) so I'm net 1lb lighter than at the start of December!

February goal is another half a stone, again around 1.5lb a week on average, steady consistent progress rather than drastic ??"

Good skills fella. I'm shopping for operation clean bulk today. Aiming for 3500-4000 clean calories a day. Just need to adjust training to suit. Hopefully 1.5-2kg lean gain a month

I can really vouch for throwing the scales away. I used to be obsessed with weighing myself and it was a nightmare, I'm currently going by dress size and I can see the difference in my stomach already. "

Seeing the difference is so much better than losing a pound!

I was obsessed too - and the gaining or losing of 1 pound could change my mood for the day - and often make me really upset!

It's disheartening to feel like you have done so well to only lose a pound!

Bring on the size 12 eans that's all I care about now!

Though I have a long way to go!

Jeans not "eans"

I can really vouch for throwing the scales away. I used to be obsessed with weighing myself and it was a nightmare, I'm currently going by dress size and I can see the difference in my stomach already. "

I weigh myself once a week, have stayed the same for the last 3 which is fine but I have definitely changed shape wise. I know my tummy is flatter because my knickers sit better...

I don't have scales in the house for this very reason - I do get weighed once a week though. I couldn't go off dress size alone because it takes too long for me to have a noticeable difference - usually at least 2 stone for a change in dress size - and it would be too disheartening.

I Mr l have been on a diet and fitness kick since 2nd of Jan and have lost 16lbs so far only another 28 to 35 to go, I haven't decided on a goal weight as such, I had 30 percent body fat when I started and want to get down to around 15 to 18 percent,

I can really vouch for throwing the scales away. I used to be obsessed with weighing myself and it was a nightmare, I'm currently going by dress size and I can see the difference in my stomach already.

I don't have scales in the house for this very reason - I do get weighed once a week though. I couldn't go off dress size alone because it takes too long for me to have a noticeable difference - usually at least 2 stone for a change in dress size - and it would be too disheartening. "

There is also the trap of having dresses from different shops. My ex used to kid herself (but going the other way) so a size 16 could be anywhere from a 14 to a 18/20 depending where she bought it from .

I don't have scales in the house for this very reason - I do get weighed once a week though. I couldn't go off dress size alone because it takes too long for me to have a noticeable difference - usually at least 2 stone for a change in dress size - and it would be too disheartening. "

that's how I was I used to really "hold" sizes but the smaller you get it changes, I think there becomes a much smaller gap between dress sizes. Half a stone can now change a dress size.

I have scales but I'm not weighing myself at the moment.

I'm not sure if there has been any change yet.

I'm tightening my belt about 3" tighter but that could be to do with fluid and bloating rather than fat loss.

By *olfcartweaselCouple  over a year ago

Melrose

My diet *actually* starts today.

It collapsed towards the end of F's pregnancy (it was part of my daily work routine, but that dissolved with all the medical visits etc). So now paternity leave is over, I plan to get back on the exercise bike & do my thing as before. I've put on about a pound in the last 3 months, I need to reverse that trend.

I don't have scales in the house for this very reason - I do get weighed once a week though. I couldn't go off dress size alone because it takes too long for me to have a noticeable difference - usually at least 2 stone for a change in dress size - and it would be too disheartening. that's how I was I used to really "hold" sizes but the smaller you get it changes, I think there becomes a much smaller gap between dress sizes. Half a stone can now change a dress size."

Yeah that makes sense. I think I only lost a stone to go from a 16 to a 14 a few years back but I seem to have a buffer zone of about 4 stone where I'm basically a size 18, clothes are just a bit looser or tighter.

By *oobsandballsMan  over a year ago

st andrews

I've been going to slimming world for a month. The first week I put on half a pound (getting used to it and had a couple of meals out), lost 2.5lbs in week two, and 1.5lbs last week.

It's been ladies week though so I don't know how tonight's weigh in will go.

I think I'm doing everything right, but maybe I'm not. Loads of other people in the class are losing much more than me.

I don't have scales in the house for this very reason - I do get weighed once a week though. I couldn't go off dress size alone because it takes too long for me to have a noticeable difference - usually at least 2 stone for a change in dress size - and it would be too disheartening. that's how I was I used to really "hold" sizes but the smaller you get it changes, I think there becomes a much smaller gap between dress sizes. Half a stone can now change a dress size.

Yeah that makes sense. I think I only lost a stone to go from a 16 to a 14 a few years back but I seem to have a buffer zone of about 4 stone where I'm basically a size 18, clothes are just a bit looser or tighter. "

This makes me feel heartened. Maybe I am making progress but haven't noticed yet because of this.

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

Not enough blue cards in this thread

"Not enough blue cards in this thread "

I haven't got one and I'm not sucking anyone's cock to get one either!

"Not enough blue cards in this thread "

My posts are blue, (to me), though.

I don't have scales in the house for this very reason - I do get weighed once a week though. I couldn't go off dress size alone because it takes too long for me to have a noticeable difference - usually at least 2 stone for a change in dress size - and it would be too disheartening. that's how I was I used to really "hold" sizes but the smaller you get it changes, I think there becomes a much smaller gap between dress sizes. Half a stone can now change a dress size.

Yeah that makes sense. I think I only lost a stone to go from a 16 to a 14 a few years back but I seem to have a buffer zone of about 4 stone where I'm basically a size 18, clothes are just a bit looser or tighter.

This makes me feel heartened. Maybe I am making progress but haven't noticed yet because of this. "

I hate reading about other people's "inspirational" weight loss stories for this very reason, it's always "I lost 3 stone and went from a size 24 to a size 12" - fuck you, I lost 3 stone and went from a size 18 to a slightly smaller size 18

This makes me feel heartened. Maybe I am making progress but haven't noticed yet because of this.

I hate reading about other people's "inspirational" weight loss stories for this very reason, it's always "I lost 3 stone and went from a size 24 to a size 12" - fuck you, I lost 3 stone and went from a size 18 to a slightly smaller size 18 "

i was the same, i still cant understand it. Also i think it was about 3 stone loss before anyone even noticed and then it wasnt often i reckon only from my experience you start to really see the benefits half way in

I hate reading about other people's "inspirational" weight loss stories for this very reason, it's always "I lost 3 stone and went from a size 24 to a size 12" - fuck you, I lost 3 stone and went from a size 18 to a slightly smaller size 18 "

A-fucking-men to that.

3 stone would take me from a 20 to an 18. I'd still have a fair bit to lose to get to a 16 though.

I'm bloody starving again today so I'm working hard at convincing myself it's worth it.

"I've been going to slimming world for a month. The first week I put on half a pound (getting used to it and had a couple of meals out), lost 2.5lbs in week two, and 1.5lbs last week.

I think I'm doing everything right, but maybe I'm not. Loads of other people in the class are losing much more than me. "

weight loss is a very individual journey

as a Slimming world member i real feel its important to be the strict with the 1/3 of the plate as a SPEED food.

Try to use your syns, dont be afraid of them. My biggest losses have been when ive used them

Write it down before it goes in your mouth, and where you can plan your meals in advanced

I do my weekly food shop the day after a weigh day. Means i walk away feeling positive and inspired.. If i don't buy crap food i cant eat crap foods.

Drink plenty of water, the body is 80% water (i think) and if your hydrated you generally make better choices food wise

Dont beat yourself up over gains or eating the wrong things. You are empowred with the knowledge of the plan works, if you choose to have a night 'off plan' then at least count the syns so you are still in control and understand why you might gain.

I just weighed myself. Not lost a bloody thing which brings my grand total of weight loss in January to 1lb

On the plus side, how I eat now is how I will eat for the rest of my life, I've got a nice little routine going and I haven't gained. So everything is what I was aiming for just wish I was 6lb lighter doing it.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

I lost 9lbs in Jan. I'm not expecting to have lost this week (weighing in tomorrow) but maintaining would be good enough after the week i've had! I'd like to say i'm back on track but it's my mum's birthday this week. Grr!

"I just weighed myself. Not lost a bloody thing which brings my grand total of weight loss in January to 1lb

On the plus side, how I eat now is how I will eat for the rest of my life, I've got a nice little routine going and I haven't gained. So everything is what I was aiming for just wish I was 6lb lighter doing it.

"

But look at your overall loss and see that as a huge positive which I'm sure you do....our bodies just Plato on occasions

lol i think ive well n turly fucked the scales up they are reading 26 stone 4 lb.. which means a loss of 1 stone 10lb

I WISH haha

"I just weighed myself. Not lost a bloody thing which brings my grand total of weight loss in January to 1lb

But look at your overall loss and see that as a huge positive which I'm sure you do....our bodies just Plato on occasions "

I am, and I'm exactly at the place I want to be out, strict with myself but can have the odd treat, not worry if I go out for lunch or on holiday I'm just where I want to be.

That's how I want to live I also know there is absolutly no bloody reason why I need to lose 6lb. I think part of it is because I'm so used to having goals and things to aim for.

But look at your overall loss and see that as a huge positive which I'm sure you do....our bodies just Plato on occasions I am, and I'm exactly at the place I want to be out, strict with myself but can have the odd treat, not worry if I go out for lunch or on holiday I'm just where I want to be.

That's how I want to live I also know there is absolutly no bloody reason why I need to lose 6lb. I think part of it is because I'm so used to having goals and things to aim for."

That's good you do, you are an achiever and you aimed high and you got there..i know why you do certain things but just be proud of yourself

But look at your overall loss and see that as a huge positive which I'm sure you do....our bodies just Plato on occasions I am, and I'm exactly at the place I want to be out, strict with myself but can have the odd treat, not worry if I go out for lunch or on holiday I'm just where I want to be.

That's how I want to live I also know there is absolutly no bloody reason why I need to lose 6lb. I think part of it is because I'm so used to having goals and things to aim for.

That's good you do, you are an achiever and you aimed high and you got there..i know why you do certain things but just be proud of yourself "

I know, thanks

I was great for 3 weeks then had a horrible week so thought 'sod it' now back to day 1,

God knows how people enjoy the gym, its just killed me lol

I think losing weight is the easy bit to be honest, the hard part is keeping it off and maintaining a healthy level, both Mrs l and myself lost 7 stone each, she has kept it off I have put 3 stone back on over about 2 years, I am now trying to get back to where I was,

st andrews

Just back from weigh in and I've stayed the same. So at least I haven't put any on.

Trying to stay positive and remember that there's a difference in my clothes, and other people can see it and have given me compliments.

This week I'll keep an eye on my portion control and cut back on my syns, I'm also going to see about changing my gym routine as maybe my body has got used to that

"Just back from weigh in and I've stayed the same. So at least I haven't put any on.

Trying to stay positive and remember that there's a difference in my clothes, and other people can see it and have given me compliments.

This week I'll keep an eye on my portion control and cut back on my syns, I'm also going to see about changing my gym routine as maybe my body has got used to that "

i get really frustrated with maintains,, a loss i can celebrate and a gain i can accept ive been naughty, draw the line and start again but maintains when ive been soooooo good just frustrate me

st andrews

"Just back from weigh in and I've stayed the same. So at least I haven't put any on.

This week I'll keep an eye on my portion control and cut back on my syns, I'm also going to see about changing my gym routine as maybe my body has got used to that

i get really frustrated with maintains,, a loss i can celebrate and a gain i can accept ive been naughty, draw the line and start again but maintains when ive been soooooo good just frustrate me "

I had my period this week so that may be why I've not lost anything, as diet wise I've been careful. I'll see what happens next week

By *uthTVDerbysTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

Fact. If diets worked then why do magazines proclaim theirs is the best? And have never ending types. Diets don't work because they can't be done long term due to sheer impracticality. Weight loss is a lifestyle thing. Training the body to eat when hungry. That's the challenge. And stop when you're not. Not easy but once you can listen to your body and not your brain then you can jump in and out of the odd binge without completely wrecking your past efforts. I recommend reading Paul McKennas "I Can Make You Thin". Not the bullshit CD that comes with it. Just the book. And I'm not his publisher either,readers

I'm doing rubbish!

My January diet is now going to be a February diet! Hitting the gym in the morning!

Need to lose 9lbs and tone up!! My stomach and thighs are NOT looking good!!

"God knows how people enjoy the gym, its just killed me lol"

If you convince yourself for long enough you start to believe it! Honest!

Chams or Socials

i get really frustrated with maintains,, a loss i can celebrate and a gain i can accept ive been naughty, draw the line and start again but maintains when ive been soooooo good just frustrate me

I had my period this week so that may be why I've not lost anything, as diet wise I've been careful. I'll see what happens next week"

I put between 3 & 6 lbs on in water retention. My stomach swells to an obscene size too

I had my period this week so that may be why I've not lost anything, as diet wise I've been careful. I'll see what happens next week"

I never lose any weight when I'm on my period, no matter how well I've stuck to plan that week. It's v annoying!

I had my period this week so that may be why I've not lost anything, as diet wise I've been careful. I'll see what happens next week

I never lose any weight when I'm on my period, no matter how well I've stuck to plan that week. It's v annoying! "

Same. I usually put on about 1.5kg, and then drop it again straight afterwards.

"I've been going to slimming world for a month. The first week I put on half a pound (getting used to it and had a couple of meals out), lost 2.5lbs in week two, and 1.5lbs last week.

I think I'm doing everything right, but maybe I'm not. Loads of other people in the class are losing much more than me.

as a Slimming world member i real feel its important to be the strict with the 1/3 of the plate as a SPEED food.

Try to use your syns, dont be afraid of them. My biggest losses have been when ive used them

Write it down before it goes in your mouth, and where you can plan your meals in advanced

I do my weekly food shop the day after a weigh day. Means i walk away feeling positive and inspired.. If i don't buy crap food i cant eat crap foods.

Drink plenty of water, the body is 80% water (i think) and if your hydrated you generally make better choices food wise

Dont beat yourself up over gains or eating the wrong things. You are empowred with the knowledge of the plan works, if you choose to have a night 'off plan' then at least count the syns so you are still in control and understand why you might gain.

"

I don't think most SW groups quite emphasise the at least 1/3 speed food rule enough but it's basically how the entire thing works.

"

I don't think most SW groups quite emphasise the at least 1/3 speed food rule enough but it's basically how the entire thing works. "

if i have a plate full of free foods but no speed foods i make sure i have a fruit salad after or snack on carrots/celery/tomatos afterwards

I had fish, SW chips and mushy pea's tonight (no speed foods) so had the fruit after :D

"

I don't think most SW groups quite emphasise the at least 1/3 speed food rule enough but it's basically how the entire thing works.

if i have a plate full of free foods but no speed foods i make sure i have a fruit salad after or snack on carrots/celery/tomatos afterwards

I had fish, SW chips and mushy pea's tonight (no speed foods) so had the fruit after :D"

I try and set out my food by starting with the speed stuff then there's just naturally less space on the plate for the rest of it. And trying to get in the habit of eating it in that order too!

"

I had fish, SW chips and mushy pea's tonight (no speed foods) so had the fruit after :D

I try and set out my food by starting with the speed stuff then there's just naturally less space on the plate for the rest of it. And trying to get in the habit of eating it in that order too! "

i do that with my roast dinners,, often find veg goes cold first so thats why i eat it first

"

I try and set out my food by starting with the speed stuff then there's just naturally less space on the plate for the rest of it. And trying to get in the habit of eating it in that order too! "

Speed foods? Explain please lovely?

Don't want to start SW but happy to have tips that work! Xx

"

I try and set out my food by starting with the speed stuff then there's just naturally less space on the plate for the rest of it. And trying to get in the habit of eating it in that order too!

Speed foods? Explain please lovely?

Don't want to start SW but happy to have tips that work! Xx"

Speed foods are basically most vegetables (except potatoes and starchy veg), salads and most fruits.

foods that are generally low in calories that fill you up and have lots of nutrients and vitamins,, mainly the fruits and veg.

they can be consumed in unlimited quantities. Potato although its a veg is classed as a free food as it may restrict weight loss

Grapes and banna's due to the high sugar content aren't speed but are free.

Pea's and beans are classed as protein and not speed

st andrews

I don't think most SW groups quite emphasise the at least 1/3 speed food rule enough but it's basically how the entire thing works. "

My leader does, he mentions it a lot at group and on the FB group. I have managed to up my speed, need to work on the water intake now!

By *ub_liminalTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Belfast

"So its been a week since MsDemeanor started her thread and it got full up of other crud!

How is everyone doing?

I did my normal thing whereby I have a few good days, then fail to plan, resulting in eating whatever is to hand.

Consequently only lost a lb but I will be working very hard this week so hoping for better next week x"

Diets are useless gimmicks with fleeting short term benefits, you'd much better reforming your habits in general.. Good luck anyway hun.

By *uthTVDerbysTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

"

Diets are useless gimmicks with fleeting short term benefits, you'd much better reforming your habits in general.. Good luck anyway hun. "

That sums up the reality succinctly. Diets are fads. Fads pass. You have to reeducate your body tomeatmwhen you're hungry. And stop,eating when you're not. Simple? If it was then why you think WHSmith has twenty different diet mags with 100 different diets that don't work in them?

Cos it's a myth. There's no secret. Moderate exercise. Don't eat shit. Don't smoke fags. And don't swig beer every evening. And eat when yer hungry. But remember to stop,when yer not. And don't listen when yer brain convinces you otherwise

I'm about to come on and all I want is chocolate and it's the only time I crave chocolate

By *ecretlyASoftieWoman  over a year ago

Hull but travel regularly

Me and a friend are doing 'super juice me' for the whole of February. I'm laid in bed starving but determined to make it!

"

Diets are useless gimmicks with fleeting short term benefits, you'd much better reforming your habits in general.. Good luck anyway hun.

That sums up the reality succinctly. Diets are fads. Fads pass. You have to reeducate your body tomeatmwhen you're hungry. And stop,eating when you're not. Simple? If it was then why you think WHSmith has twenty different diet mags with 100 different diets that don't work in them?

Cos it's a myth. There's no secret. Moderate exercise. Don't eat shit. Don't smoke fags. And don't swig beer every evening. And eat when yer hungry. But remember to stop,when yer not. And don't listen when yer brain convinces you otherwise "

Ha. Simple. My arse.

Anyway- stayed the same this week but cough has finally gone so back to the gym today.

I find it much easier to stay motivated when I am healthy x

I'm forever on a diet

I'm not dieting but I am exercising. Failed badly in January but trying to do the Shaun T T25 regularly this month and hit a full month of full activity on my smartwatch ... every little helps!

Sex is exercise right?

"Sex is exercise right?"

It is - but unless you're doing all the work - ie on top moving up and down all the time - you won't burn a huge amount of calories sadly. I think it's probably far more calorie burning for men than women!

God I wish it did burn loads of calories! We'd all be size 8!

"Sex is exercise right?

It is - but unless you're doing all the work - ie on top moving up and down all the time - you won't burn a huge amount of calories sadly. I think it's probably far more calorie burning for men than women!

God I wish it did burn loads of calories! We'd all be size 8! "

You actually burn 200 cals during 30 mins of sex

"Sex is exercise right?

You actually burn 200 cals during 30 mins of sex "

And the post sex fried chicken doesn't count either!

By *eanut Butter CupWoman  over a year ago

B & M Bargains

"Sex is exercise right?

And the post sex fried chicken doesn't count either!"

sex doesn't work as exercise for me as I always get a post-club maccie ds

Me and 3 friends have all set a date and a target to lose, we started properly last week and we weigh in Tuesday morning and whatsapp the pic of the scales so no cheating! I've lost 3lb but hoping once I rejoin the gym it will come off quicker without me resorting to a full on diet

"Sex is exercise right?

You actually burn 200 cals during 30 mins of sex "

Doesn't it depend a lot on what positions you do it in Hun? X

"Sex is exercise right?

Doesn't it depend a lot on what positions you do it in Hun? X"

I think it depends how active you are generally. Rather than whether you are riding or not.

"Sex is exercise right?

I think it depends how active you are generally. Rather than whether you are riding or not."

I'm not very good at lying still!

"Sex is exercise right?

I think it depends how active you are generally. Rather than whether you are riding or not.

I'm not very good at lying still! "

Jump aboard

"Sex is exercise right?

I'm not very good at lying still! "

And I am not saying you should! The idea is to be exceedingly active ( in a Mr Kipling voice)

Chams or Socials

Weighed myself this morning - have lost 8lbs in total which has spurred me on a bit

Still got 21lbs to go to get to where I was happy. I was still a bit overweight but was starting to look gaunt in my face

"Sex is exercise right?

I'm not very good at lying still!

And I am not saying you should! The idea is to be exceedingly active ( in a Mr Kipling voice)"

Thanks for that T! Now I'm thinking of cake - and it's not even 10am!

Ha ha ha! Makes me laugh hearing all this speed food, free food bull. It's a term used by companies such as weight watchers to get their hands on your cash. How many people do you know who have lost weight at weight watchers or slimming world or who have started a fad diet and kept the weight off? It's very, very few and that's only because they've changed their lifestyle.

Don't waste your money and don't fall for the rhetoric spewed out by people who have fallen for these diet's.

Simply reduce your calories and move more. Repeat for the rest of your life and you'll lose weight.

Most of you will fail after a few days or a month at the most then start all over again like you have many times before, you're the diet company's dream. Consistency is the key

"Weighed myself this morning - have lost 8lbs in total which has spurred me on a bit

Still got 21lbs to go to get to where I was happy. I was still a bit overweight but was starting to look gaunt in my face "

Yeah I think it's definitely a balancing act when you get a little older (past 35!) Too much off and you look great in some places but too thin in others! If I get a great lower half (10st) then I have a gaunt face and spaniels ears for tits! I have to compromise at around 10 St 7lb - though at the moment I'm a little over 11st and NOT happy!

Chams or Socials

"Ha ha ha! Makes me laugh hearing all this speed food, free food bull. It's a term used by companies such as weight watchers to get their hands on your cash. How many people do you know who have lost weight at weight watchers or slimming world or who have started a fad diet and kept the weight off? It's very, very few and that's only because they've changed their lifestyle.

Don't waste your money and don't fall for the rhetoric spewed out by people who have fallen for these diet's.

Simply reduce your calories and move more. Repeat for the rest of your life and you'll lose weight.

Most of you will fail after a few days or a month at the most then start all over again like you have many times before, you're the diet company's dream. Consistency is the key"

Please kindly go away. This is a support thread & your post is not helpful. I know how to lose weight, I've lost over 3 stone before changes to medication & personal circumstances let it creep back on.

"Ha ha ha! Makes me laugh hearing all this speed food, free food bull. It's a term used by companies such as weight watchers to get their hands on your cash. How many people do you know who have lost weight at weight watchers or slimming world or who have started a fad diet and kept the weight off? It's very, very few and that's only because they've changed their lifestyle.

Most of you will fail after a few days or a month at the most then start all over again like you have many times before, you're the diet company's dream. Consistency is the key

Please kindly go away. This is a support thread & your post is not helpful. I know how to lose weight, I've lost over 3 stone before changes to medication & personal circumstances let it creep back on.

"

saved me typing that, I hate it when people come on a thread and be negative

By *D40Couple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I done all the diets going & lose a bit but get bored after a few months. This year i was speaking to a couple of ladie who are doing a vlcd diet. Normally i am totally against thes diets similar to cambridge but they offered a 3 day detox for free so i took it.

Ended up starting the plan 2 1/2 weeks ago & loving it. Bit hard drinking 4+litres of water at first but its fine now.

11 1/2lbs down in 2 weeks & after first few days i wasnt missing food. Its great not having to go shopping

Mrs _d40

Most of you will fail after a few days or a month at the most then start all over again like you have many times before, you're the diet company's dream. Consistency is the key"

I lost 3 stone with weight watchers 16 years ago - and other than a stone which comes back/goes away again depending how dedicated I am (ie completely normal) I've kept it off!

Most people who lose weight for life kick start it with a proper diet and exercise plan! It worked for me! I was size 16 and now I'm never more than a size 12! X

"

Which part didn't you find helpful?

"

He's not saying that to be unkind he's just used to professional training and diet discussion, I know him from the fitness forums I've been on for years.

It's true though any diet will make you lose weight but as soon as you're off it the weight will come back, weight loss is fairly easy it's maintenance that's hard, that's why it should be lifestyle changes not just a diet you follow for x amount of time.

I lost 3 stone with weight watchers 16 years ago - and other than a stone which comes back/goes away again depending how dedicated I am (ie completely normal) I've kept it off!

Most people who lose weight for life kick start it with a proper diet and exercise plan! It worked for me! I was size 16 and now I'm never more than a size 12! X

"

Exactly. Not because of a fad diet but because of a "proper exercise and diet plan".

He's not saying that to be unkind he's just used to professional training and diet discussion, I know him from the fitness forums I've been on for years.

It's true though any diet will make you lose weight but as soon as you're off it the weight will come back, weight loss is fairly easy it's maintenance that's hard, that's why it should be lifestyle changes not just a diet you follow for x amount of time. "

Thanks SW. I expected a negative response but if I get through to one person I'm happy

Which part didn't you find helpful?"

telling people they will mostly fail is not helpful.

Slimming world and weight watchers are about lifestyle changes, over the last few years especially the last couple of years I've seen far more success stories.

Exactly. Not because of a fad diet but because of a "proper exercise and diet plan"."

errr she did it with weight watchers one of the plans you where mocking

Chams or Socials

It's true though any diet will make you lose weight but as soon as you're off it the weight will come back, weight loss is fairly easy it's maintenance that's hard, that's why it should be lifestyle changes not just a diet you follow for x amount of time.

Thanks SW. I expected a negative response but if I get through to one person I'm happy "

But you didn't need to get through to anyone. We're not stupid just choose to use a plan which suits our circumstances. I've always lost weight with Slimming World (and enjoyed the social aspect too) and follow it as closely as I can & have joined a gym - childcare prevents me using it as much as I need to. I have an under active thyroid (as does my youngest son) & depression which makes it harder

This is the basic theory of weight loss, yes, but it's not that simple.

I can cut back on the calories I eat and move about more but I'll really struggle to lose weight unless I cut carbs right back (under 50g per day).

If your don't have any physical issues, eating less will probably work. But for some people it comes down to how they eat and what they eat as well as calories.

For example, I know someone on a specific diet. She's losing weight but, from experience, she knows that if, without changing the number of calories she eats or the exercise she does, she eats nuts, her weight loss stalls.

I know another person whose metabolism seems to fight her. She has to cut her daily calories to below 1000 to lose weight. It leaves her constantly hungry and tired. Nobody should be expected to have to try to tolerate constant hunger to lose weight. It isn't sustainable. There are limits to the extent people can be expected to "eat less".

With insulin resistance, food addictions, food intolerances and many other factors, it's not as simple as eat less, move more.

It's also pretty insulting to people who do have additional hurdles to contend with, to have people without those issues insist that it is simply about eat less, move more.

"Weighed myself this morning - have lost 8lbs in total which has spurred me on a bit

Still got 21lbs to go to get to where I was happy. I was still a bit overweight but was starting to look gaunt in my face "

Thats fantastic chick xx

Do you know what, yes it's that easy when you have a normal, non-fucked up relationship with food and you have probably never been more than half a stone overweight in your life.

But if you are significantly overweight, or you struggle with comfort eating or binge eating or something then often you do need a 'plan' to work around because you're trying to reeducate yourself about how to eat normally.

I'm not stupid, I know I have to eat less and move more. The reasons I don't and haven't are more complex than you seem to think. That's not making excuses, that's just a fact. It's not 'simple'.

I'm not here to sing the praises of the diet industry, of course I'm not. But coming on to a thread full of people doing various diets or exercise regimes and plans to try and improve their health and fitness and telling them they're all idiots? That's helpful.

I can cut back on the calories I eat and move about more but I'll really struggle to lose weight unless I cut carbs right back (under 50g per day).

If your don't have any physical issues, eating less will probably work. But for some people it comes down to how they eat and what they eat as well as calories.

For example, I know someone on a specific diet. She's losing weight but, from experience, she knows that if, without changing the number of calories she eats or the exercise she does, she eats nuts, her weight loss stalls.

I know another person whose metabolism seems to fight her. She has to cut her daily calories to below 1000 to lose weight. It leaves her constantly hungry and tired. Nobody should be expected to have to try to tolerate constant hunger to lose weight. It isn't sustainable. There are limits to the extent people can be expected to "eat less".

With insulin resistance, food addictions, food intolerances and many other factors, it's not as simple as eat less, move more.

It's also pretty insulting to people who do have additional hurdles to contend with, to have people without those issues insist that it is simply about eat less, move more."

I agree it's not as simple as eat less move more but for the majority it's a great, effective starting point and costs nothing. I also agree with most of the rest of your post, but if they can't grasp the very basics of weight loss then there's no point of mentioning insulin sensitivity or asking them to cut carbs or even count their macros because they're hell bent on following fad diets which have little to no long term benefits.

Anyway, I hope you all lose your desired weight and continue with living a healthy lifestyle and follow a sensible diet.

It's also pretty insulting to people who do have additional hurdles to contend with, to have people without those issues insist that it is simply about eat less, move more.

I agree it's not as simple as eat less move more but for the majority it's a great, effective starting point and costs nothing. I also agree with most of the rest of your post, but if they can't grasp the very basics of weight loss then there's no point of mentioning insulin sensitivity or asking them to cut carbs or even count their macros because they're hell bent on following fad diets which have little to no long term benefits.

Anyway, I hope you all lose your desired weight and continue with living a healthy lifestyle and follow a sensible diet."

I'll just carry on drinking vodka and smoking fags

I just gave in and weighed myself.

I've been dieting for 3 weeks and I've been strict for two of them.

I've lost 10.5 lb

HOWEVER, I'm on a low carb diet and in ketosis. That means I've depleted my glycogen store and the water bound to it. A lot - possibly up to half a stone - of what I've lost will be water. I can't know exactly what my fat loss is.

On the carbs and calories I'm on, I should have lost more. I'd expect at least 7lb plus the water by now. I'll stick to it and see how it goes though.

Getting on with it and not obsessing will help me stick to it.

Anyway, I hope you all lose your desired weight and continue with living a healthy lifestyle and follow a sensible diet.

I'll just carry on drinking vodka and smoking fags "

Gotta have some fun in life!

" I agree it's not as simple as eat less move more but for the majority it's a great, effective starting point and costs nothing. I also agree with most of the rest of your post, but if they can't grasp the very basics of weight loss then there's no point of mentioning insulin sensitivity or asking them to cut carbs or even count their macros because they're hell bent on following fad diets which have little to no long term benefits.

Anyway, I hope you all lose your desired weight and continue with living a healthy lifestyle and follow a sensible diet."

This is true and thank you.

Please bear in mind how disheartening it can be for those of us who struggle with extra barriers to be told how simple weight loss is and we just have to eat less and move more.

I totally agree it's the most sensible starting point though.

I hate that some people blame themselves when eat less and move more doesn't work for them. A lot don't think there may be something else wrong. They think they're doing it wrong and berate themselves for being greedy and lazy. Maybe they're not eating enough less or moving enough.

Would you tell an anorexic that they just need to eat more and exercise less?

As I suffer with compulsive over eating I struggle full stop .both Dr and therapist I saw said to take it day at a time .exercise daily and stay clear of diets. Just eat healthy foods and if do eat the wrong stuff only in moderation and don't beat myself up over it .

It's not about "grasping the basics" for a lot of people - I'm an intelligent woman, so yes, I can grasp the basics of weight loss. What I struggle with is fighting with my brain long enough to put those basics into practice. You don't need to be so dismissive and patronising.

"I just gave in and weighed myself.

I've lost 10.5 lb

HOWEVER, I'm on a low carb diet and in ketosis. That means I've depleted my glycogen store and the water bound to it. A lot - possibly up to half a stone - of what I've lost will be water. I can't know exactly what my fat loss is.

On the carbs and calories I'm on, I should have lost more. I'd expect at least 7lb plus the water by now. I'll stick to it and see how it goes though.

Getting on with it and not obsessing will help me stick to it."

Definitely agree about not obsessing, that's my biggest weakness. 10.5 in three weeks is bloody good, even if you feel like it should have been more.

I've lost 10.5 lb

Definitely agree about not obsessing, that's my biggest weakness. 10.5 in three weeks is bloody good, even if you feel like it should have been more. "

Most of it's fluid though. If I started eating carbs again and replenished my glycogen store, most of it would magically reappear overnight.

It's about the brain /subconscious mind ,once I can get that sorted ill be fine .Iknow how to lose weight just they don't want to so to speak .so starting hypnosis today .

Sorry was waffling there

I've lost 10.5 lb

Definitely agree about not obsessing, that's my biggest weakness. 10.5 in three weeks is bloody good, even if you feel like it should have been more.

Most of it's fluid though. If I started eating carbs again and replenished my glycogen store, most of it would magically reappear overnight."

Your doing brilliant

I've lost 10.5 lb

Most of it's fluid though. If I started eating carbs again and replenished my glycogen store, most of it would magically reappear overnight.

Your doing brilliant "

Thank you. I'm still going, and have the intention to continue. That's the most important thing.

I think we're all doing well for deciding to do something and trying.

Goddess Bastet inspires me a fair bit. She's done incredibly well.

I've lost 10.5 lb

Your doing brilliant

Thank you. I'm still going, and have the intention to continue. That's the most important thing.

Goddess Bastet inspires me a fair bit. She's done incredibly well."

Agree with all of that

I've lost 10.5 lb

Getting on with it and not obsessing will help me stick to it."

why should you have lost more. 10.5 is a lot of weight to lose in three weeks, yes we usually lose more the first week. It's still a lot, don't set yourself up to high. Slow and steady

st andrews

Well done to everyone for keeping going, ignore those who just want to be negative and unhelpful.

I'd love to be one of those people who was always active, or be able to eat what I want and not put on a pound (bastards). But I'm not.

Not everyone has that luxury, and some people should learn to be more considerate.

I've lost 10.5 lb

Your doing brilliant

Goddess Bastet inspires me a fair bit. She's done incredibly well."

thanks.

I will say a few things about losing weight

Do what works for you

Don't compare yourself to others

Get to know your body and how it holds all !oses weight.

Weigh each week but work it out over the month to take in fluctuations.

When I got to target I worked out my average weight loss and it was 1.5lb a week(never worked like that) but look what that amount has done over a period of time

I've lost 10.5 lb

why should you have lost more. 10.5 is a lot of weight to lose in three weeks, yes we usually lose more the first week. It's still a lot, don't set yourself up to high. Slow and steady"

Because that's mostly water. Discounting up to half a stone of water, it's possibly only 3.5lb in 3 weeks which isn't a good average for a strict diet.

I'm ok with it though, not disappointed. It's positive progress and as you say, there are peaks and troughs that aren't always explainable. In the next 3 weeks I might lose more than I expect.

Would you tell an anorexic that they just need to eat more and exercise less?"

Not sure if serious. I'm assuming you're saying being anorexic is the exact opposite to being overweight which is completely untrue.

It's not about "grasping the basics" for a lot of people - I'm an intelligent woman, so yes, I can grasp the basics of weight loss. What I struggle with is fighting with my brain long enough to put those basics into practice. You don't need to be so dismissive and patronising. "

Then the statement doesn't apply to you. You've got other issues other than a lack of dieting knowledge which I'm not qualified to comment on.

I've lost 10.5 lb

why should you have lost more. 10.5 is a lot of weight to lose in three weeks, yes we usually lose more the first week. It's still a lot, don't set yourself up to high. Slow and steady

Because that's mostly water. Discounting up to half a stone of water, it's possibly only 3.5lb in 3 weeks which isn't a good average for a strict diet.

I'm ok with it though, not disappointed. It's positive progress and as you say, there are peaks and troughs that aren't always explainable. In the next 3 weeks I might lose more than I expect."

You're a great example to others on here and your approach and mindset are excellent. Well done

It's not about "grasping the basics" for a lot of people - I'm an intelligent woman, so yes, I can grasp the basics of weight loss. What I struggle with is fighting with my brain long enough to put those basics into practice. You don't need to be so dismissive and patronising.

Then the statement doesn't apply to you. You've got other issues other than a lack of dieting knowledge which I'm not qualified to comment on."

Issues which, in my experience, are very common. So you're not really qualified to make sweeping statements like "it's simple! Just eat less!" either. That was my point.

Hi guys.

To give you some simple ideas.

Cut out sugar or use no calorie replacement.

Reduce carbs.

Most people are dehydrated. So if you're hungry in between meals you're probably thirsty so have a glass of water or two.

Increase your water intake. You body holds onto water under the skin as extracellular so hence you can look bloated. Increasing your water helps you feel satiated, hydrated and gets rid of the bloat after a few days your body starts to flush it through.

By lowering your carbs and sugar you are lowering your calories. It's a gradual process. So 1-2lb per week is normal. Naturally increasing your movement increases muscle mass and calorie burning and this speeds up process.

Drink alcohol at the weekends

Have one day off a week where you can have the naughty stuff.

Then the statement doesn't apply to you. You've got other issues other than a lack of dieting knowledge which I'm not qualified to comment on."

OK, if your qualified surely you know that every single person is different and its not a case of right here 1000 calories aday and a 5 mile walk. I'd be quite concerned if people are qualifying in diet and excersise without the psychology behind it.

Then the statement doesn't apply to you. You've got other issues other than a lack of dieting knowledge which I'm not qualified to comment on.

Issues which, in my experience, are very common. So you're not really qualified to make sweeping statements like "it's simple! Just eat less!" either. That was my point. "

I'm not doubting they are. You're taking comments out of context and looking for an argument where there isn't one. I stand by everything I've said and offer no apology. You can pick bits out and make it into something it's not but that won't help you or anyone else. If you don't agree with something I won't take offence, but please don't misquote me.

Issues which, in my experience, are very common. So you're not really qualified to make sweeping statements like "it's simple! Just eat less!" either. That was my point. "

Mine too.

It's very disheartening when you do eat less, a lot less, and you could chew your own arm off, and you're not losing weight and you don't know why,when someone says, "it's simple, eat less and move more".

I agree that's fine as a starting point but it should never be said as a blanket statement without qualification that there are other factors, not uncommon ones, which means in itself it's not effective. People need to know if eat less, move more isn't working, it's not their fault, that there are other factors involved.

And nobody should ever suggest it's simple to lose weight. At the most basic level the theory is simple but the actuality usually really is not.

Apparently harmless things, aimed at specific people, can end up making others feel bad and discouraged if not expressed carefully.

I think some fad diets are positively dangerous and "eat less, move more" is a better strategy. "Eat healthily and sensibly and move more" may be better. But sometimes that's not enough.

It can be difficult to find out what works. The amount of conflicting, and sometimes downright untrue, information out there is ridiculous and as pointed out, the diet industry is worth zillions. They don't really want people to lose weight long term.

Then the statement doesn't apply to you. You've got other issues other than a lack of dieting knowledge which I'm not qualified to comment on.OK, if your qualified surely you know that every single person is different and its not a case of right here 1000 calories aday and a 5 mile walk. I'd be quite concerned if people are qualifying in diet and excersise without the psychology behind it."

Who said they weren't and who said I was qualified? I said I'm not qualified to comment on other issues. " move more eat less" and don't waste your money on weight watchers and fad diets is what I said. You crack on and come back and prove me wrong. Getting yourself worked up on here for nothing will do nothing for you lol.

Issues which, in my experience, are very common. So you're not really qualified to make sweeping statements like "it's simple! Just eat less!" either. That was my point.

I'm not doubting they are. You're taking comments out of context and looking for an argument where there isn't one. I stand by everything I've said and offer no apology. You can pick bits out and make it into something it's not but that won't help you or anyone else. If you don't agree with something I won't take offence, but please don't misquote me."

I understand what you meant and that you were saying it with great intentions but I do agree with Ruby, sorry.

You weren't clear it's only a starting point and may ultimately be much more complicated.

I know what works for me now. My downfall is that I am a sugar junkie, (hence the low carb - I can't moderate it. Cold turkey is the only way), and as soon as I get stressed or upset, I run for the sugar. One hit and I'm hooked again.

It took me a long while to work out why the 'simple' eat less, move more didn't work for me and I felt bad about myself and blamed myself for a very long time. I now know I didn't have all the information I needed.

Then the statement doesn't apply to you. You've got other issues other than a lack of dieting knowledge which I'm not qualified to comment on.OK, if your qualified surely you know that every single person is different and its not a case of right here 1000 calories aday and a 5 mile walk. I'd be quite concerned if people are qualifying in diet and excersise without the psychology behind it.

Who said they weren't and who said I was qualified? I said I'm not qualified to comment on other issues. " move more eat less" and don't waste your money on weight watchers and fad diets is what I said. You crack on and come back and prove me wrong. Getting yourself worked up on here for nothing will do nothing for you lol."

how can I prove you wrong?

Then the statement doesn't apply to you. You've got other issues other than a lack of dieting knowledge which I'm not qualified to comment on.OK, if your qualified surely you know that every single person is different and its not a case of right here 1000 calories aday and a 5 mile walk. I'd be quite concerned if people are qualifying in diet and excersise without the psychology behind it.

Who said they weren't and who said I was qualified? I said I'm not qualified to comment on other issues. " move more eat less" and don't waste your money on weight watchers and fad diets is what I said. You crack on and come back and prove me wrong. Getting yourself worked up on here for nothing will do nothing for you lol."

noone is getting worked up, I just see a guy storming into a thread of a group of people telling them what they should and shouldn't be doing and thinking they haven't got the intelligence to know what can or cannot work.

"You're a great example to others on here and your approach and mindset are excellent. Well done "

Thank you. I'm not a great example though. My physical activity level is still low. I'm working on increasing it but my motivation is low.

I need to join a gym or get a trainer but can't afford to at the moment.

One step at a time though.

I'm not doubting they are. You're taking comments out of context and looking for an argument where there isn't one. I stand by everything I've said and offer no apology. You can pick bits out and make it into something it's not but that won't help you or anyone else. If you don't agree with something I won't take offence, but please don't misquote me."

Noted. I'm not looking for an argument either, but if you stand by everything you said then I think all the points I am making still stand. It's patronising and dismissive to make the kind of sweeping statements you did in your opening post. That's all.

We lose weight in different ways, some find it easy to, I know if I cut out alcohol completely and the level of excercise I do that the weight would fall off but I also know that for some losing weight is a lot harder that just exercise and eating less. Weight is an emotive subject and a very personal subject I just think we should give each other a pat on the back rather than turning this thread into an argument nothing in life is black and white.

"We lose weight in different ways, some find it easy to, I know if I cut out alcohol completely and the level of excercise I do that the weight would fall off but I also know that for some losing weight is a lot harder that just exercise and eating less. Weight is an emotive subject and a very personal subject I just think we should give each other a pat on the back rather than turning this thread into an argument nothing in life is black and white. "

I agree.

I think everything everyone has said is with good intentions.

Trying is the first hurdle. Asking for advice is the second.

I'm a great believer in you can't help people who can't help themselves or don't wish to try. It's then a labour motivation.

What is working for a lot of people at the moment are pedometers and fit bits so people can track their activity. Eat sensibly and try and cook or make your own food is a start then processed with hidden fats and sugars. Carbs are cheap hence they are a great bulking agent for the manufacturers.

Keep it simple and keep going.

Both eating and training is about one thing and that's CONSISTENCY.

I'm not doubting they are. You're taking comments out of context and looking for an argument where there isn't one. I stand by everything I've said and offer no apology. You can pick bits out and make it into something it's not but that won't help you or anyone else. If you don't agree with something I won't take offence, but please don't misquote me.

Noted. I'm not looking for an argument either, but if you stand by everything you said then I think all the points I am making still stand. It's patronising and dismissive to make the kind of sweeping statements you did in your opening post. That's all. "

Well that wasn't my intention. There's some good advice on here but a lot of awful advice too. It's difficult to give advice with the intention of helping people on an internet forum as has been shown in this thread. It just bugs me that people live by what the likes of weight watches etc say and pay them for it lol. I've been fortunate to have received great advice off some fantastic, dedicated people over the last 20 plus years and it hasn't cost a penny. I know what works for the majority and I know what doesn't.

Those with specific mental or physical health issues are a different matter to which I couldn't offer any advice until they've sought the relevant professional help.

st andrews

Regardless of how they're doing it, they are trying to do something about their weight and that should be applauded.

Your opinion on diet plans is your opinion, it's not other people's. I also felt that you waded in, pointed a finger, called everyone idiots and laughed.

Regardless of your intention, that was how it came across. You might not like diet plans, but they might have something that works for other people.

We're not stupid, we all know that the hard part is going to be maintaining our ideal weight, and the basics of how to do that. How we get there though is entirely up to us.

"Regardless of how they're doing it, they are trying to do something about their weight and that should be applauded.

Your opinion on diet plans is your opinion, it's not other people's. I also felt that you waded in, pointed a finger, called everyone idiots and laughed.

Regardless of your intention, that was how it came across. You might not like diet plans, but they might have something that works for other people.

We're not stupid, we all know that the hard part is going to be maintaining our ideal weight, and the basics of how to do that. How we get there though is entirely up to us.

"

"Regardless of how they're doing it, they are trying to do something about their weight and that should be applauded.

"

What are you talking about? I advise diet plans. I think you're confusing a diet plan with a fad. Yes I did laugh, I laughed at the way weight watchers etc go on about speed foods and fast foods and how people continue to give them money time after time with no lasting results, not an individual or a group of individuals, that's just the way you interpreted it.

I finished by saying it's something you need to repeat for life. Most people won't stick to a diet because it's a lifestyle change. If what I'm telling you offends then I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's the truth, that's why diet companies make so much money from poorly educated people (not stupid, they're your words) time and time again.

Again to be clear. Stay away from fad diets, save your hard earned cash, move more i.e exercise more, eat less i.e less of the crap and have a sensible diet. No one's being called stupid and no offence is intended. Take the advice or leave it, it's entirely your choice. I'm sorry to have had to spell it out but I feel it was necessary judging by some of the comments.

[Removed by poster at 02/02/16 15:54:43]

"[Removed by poster at 02/02/16 15:54:43]"

Scrap that, can't be arsed.

st andrews

"What are you talking about? I advise diet plans. I think you're confusing a diet plan with a fad. Yes I did laugh, I laughed at the way weight watchers etc go on about speed foods and fast foods and how people continue to give them money time after time with no lasting results"

So you've spoken to every single person who has ever done one of these diets and they've all put weight back on? Every single one? That's millions of people, must have taken quite some time.

From my experience of weight watchers, they always talked about maintaining, and while I've only been doing Slimming World for a few weeks but they seem to be the same. They don't use the word diet, they always talk about it being a lifestyle change and maintaining healthy choices. And considering they've been around for well over 20 years, I really wouldn't class them as a 'fad'.

Out of curiosity, have you ever attended any of these classes or meetings? If not, how do you know what they advocate? Might be worth you looking into that, if advising people on healthy eating is your job.

What actually offended me was the way your original post sounded like you were laughing at the people here for trying these plans. Perhaps you should re-read your opening statement, listen to the tone of it and try seeing it from another point of view.

I'm sure that wasn't what you intended, but there it is. Everyone in here wants to be healthier and fitter - don't knock down how they do it, and don't propose that there's a 'one size fits all' answer, because there isn't, for many of the reasons stated above.

FWIW, 4 years ago I was almost 6st heavier than I am now. I lost the bulk of that by doing what you said - eat less, move more. Then I stalled. Most of last year I was yoyoing with half a stone, then said sod it and joined a gym, where I lost another stone. But I feel like I need extra help, as I'm aware it's 20% exercise, 80% diet. So I've chosen slimming world and in the few weeks I've lost another few pounds.

So I'm happy with that and I'll continue doing it.

"We lose weight in different ways, some find it easy to, I know if I cut out alcohol completely and the level of excercise I do that the weight would fall off but I also know that for some losing weight is a lot harder that just exercise and eating less. Weight is an emotive subject and a very personal subject I just think we should give each other a pat on the back rather than turning this thread into an argument nothing in life is black and white.

I agree.

I think everything everyone has said is with good intentions."

Well said

At the risk of sticking my head above the parapet but it feels relevant to what's just been discussed.

Has anyone had / know anyone who has had a positive experience with say NLP/CBT/ hypnosis in trying to change their bad relationship with food?

Is it a route with perusing if that is the main route of the problem?

Lost 2lbs this week. Back to exercising more and new gym.

Sarah

"What are you talking about? I advise diet plans. I think you're confusing a diet plan with a fad. Yes I did laugh, I laughed at the way weight watchers etc go on about speed foods and fast foods and how people continue to give them money time after time with no lasting results

So you've spoken to every single person who has ever done one of these diets and they've all put weight back on? Every single one? That's millions of people, must have taken quite some time.

From my experience of weight watchers, they always talked about maintaining, and while I've only been doing Slimming World for a few weeks but they seem to be the same. They don't use the word diet, they always talk about it being a lifestyle change and maintaining healthy choices. And considering they've been around for well over 20 years, I really wouldn't class them as a 'fad'.

Out of curiosity, have you ever attended any of these classes or meetings? If not, how do you know what they advocate? Might be worth you looking into that, if advising people on healthy eating is your job.

What actually offended me was the way your original post sounded like you were laughing at the people here for trying these plans. Perhaps you should re-read your opening statement, listen to the tone of it and try seeing it from another point of view.

I'm sure that wasn't what you intended, but there it is. Everyone in here wants to be healthier and fitter - don't knock down how they do it, and don't propose that there's a 'one size fits all' answer, because there isn't, for many of the reasons stated above.

FWIW, 4 years ago I was almost 6st heavier than I am now. I lost the bulk of that by doing what you said - eat less, move more. Then I stalled. Most of last year I was yoyoing with half a stone, then said sod it and joined a gym, where I lost another stone. But I feel like I need extra help, as I'm aware it's 20% exercise, 80% diet. So I've chosen slimming world and in the few weeks I've lost another few pounds.

"

Well done. Sorry you misinterpreted what I posted. I hope you get to your desired weight.

st andrews

"What are you talking about? I advise diet plans. I think you're confusing a diet plan with a fad. Yes I did laugh, I laughed at the way weight watchers etc go on about speed foods and fast foods and how people continue to give them money time after time with no lasting results

Well done. Sorry you misinterpreted what I posted. I hope you get to your desired weight."

Ah, of course. It's my fault and not how you put yourself across. Thanks for your input

Well done. Sorry you misinterpreted what I posted. I hope you get to your desired weight.

Ah, of course. It's my fault and not how you put yourself across. Thanks for your input "

? If you insist

Ah, of course. It's my fault and not how you put yourself across. Thanks for your input "

Yes, obviously it couldn't be that he didn't say what he meant. After all, it was only you that "misinterpreted". Oh, wait...

I'm with Ruby. I just cannot be arsed with it.

Oh well I thought I had quite a good question.....

"We lose weight in different ways, some find it easy to, I know if I cut out alcohol completely and the level of excercise I do that the weight would fall off but I also know that for some losing weight is a lot harder that just exercise and eating less. Weight is an emotive subject and a very personal subject I just think we should give each other a pat on the back rather than turning this thread into an argument nothing in life is black and white.

I agree.

I think everything everyone has said is with good intentions.

Well said

At the risk of sticking my head above the parapet but it feels relevant to what's just been discussed.

Has anyone had / know anyone who has had a positive experience with say NLP/CBT/ hypnosis in trying to change their bad relationship with food?

Is it a route with perusing if that is the main route of the problem?

"

I'm starting hypnosis

"Oh well I thought I had quite a good question..... "

No, I haven't. CBT etc has never worked for me for anything else so I doubt it would for this. I'm too much of a skeptic. There's an element of having to want it to work and believe it's going to work, and I don't. I wouldn't try hypnosis, I don't really trust it or believe in it.