FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Power tools

Power tools

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Yup, real hardcore swinging chat.

In the market for a new cordless drill.

Always had makita kit, but feel the quality isn't there anymore.

My heavy kit is metabo, want a small lightweight drill driver to replace my now defunct makita 10.8.

Don't like dewalt

So should I bit the bullet and splash out on a mafell 10v.

Or screwfix have an offer on a 18v compact lion drill driver 99 squid Inc vat.

Or buy another makita kit??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

The screwfix offer is a bosch.

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I've no idea but I'd like a drill too!

By *exyfuncouple-40Couple  over a year ago

Bloxham

Got metabo 10 volt from its good drill , 2nd kit I had first got nicked of van before Christmas , got impact driver , drill and radio

By *ere to please321Man  over a year ago

lincolshire

Milwakee do sum good drills.

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

I always liked Dewalt. We had a Screwfix brand cheap SDS drill and that was great though.

Bloxham

"Milwakee do sum good drills."

There bush less kit really good

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

yes ive a powerful tool

"yes ive a powerful tool "

Show off

Why don't you like dewalt ?

Powerful and long lasting, You can also get a good deal on a 18v combi dril

By *lackburn_guyMan  over a year ago

Blackburn

I only use milwaukee for my drills, their 18v cordless combi is amazing with battery life and power, the small 12v drill/driver is again very very good and has the added bonus of being a hammer drill for smaller work, well worth the money

"Why don't you like dewalt ?

Powerful and long lasting, You can also get a good deal on a 18v combi dril"

Always found there stuff to be pants, every dewalt tool I have ever used has been unreliable and Crap.

Just rebranded black and decker anyway.

Always found there stuff to be pants, every dewalt tool I have ever used has been unreliable and Crap.

Just rebranded black and decker anyway. "

I have a load of different dewalt power tools and use the same 4 batteries,

I have never had any problems myself and they are in constant use

I like the erbauer range they do ,had the 12V one for years, abused to hell and always worked for me

Bloxham

Just rebranded black and decker anyway.

I have a load of different dewalt power tools and use the same 4 batteries,

I have never had any problems myself and they are in constant use

Used to be better when Elu found the dewalt stuff doesn't last that long same as Bosch 18 volt stuff pants

"

By *ere to please321Man  over a year ago

lincolshire

Reciprocating dildos drillados jigados sdsdos what you got

By *ario1981Man  over a year ago

Clevedon

I have always found the blue Bosch stuff very good I have the little 10.8v drill which has done me well for the last 3 years although I now need to think about replacing it dosnt like putting 32mm holes in 3mm steel anymore, I've been look at the bosh 18v twin pack

Don't buy mail order, go and look at the tool. Some of the bosch stuff is made in Switzerland and lasts for years, the Mexican/Chinese stuff is pants, same with Makita look for the Japanese made tools as apposed to Chinese.

Bloxham

"Don't buy mail order, go and look at the tool. Some of the bosch stuff is made in Switzerland and lasts for years, the Mexican/Chinese stuff is pants, same with Makita look for the Japanese made tools as apposed to Chinese."

Worth looking at ITS found they good for tools

By *uck knows41Man  over a year ago

Arbroath

I use a lot of ryobi one+ and can't fault any of it

Hilti TE6 is a good drill

I don't care if you don't like Dewalt, its good kit and shouldn't be discounted.

If you really set on avoiding it I'd stick with Makita....

Just been checking out the hilti kit. Expensive but extremely well made and reliable. Great aftersales service.

Fleet hire options

Decisions decisions!!!

"Just been checking out the hilti kit. Expensive but extremely well made and reliable. Great aftersales service.

Fleet hire options

Decisions decisions!!! "

I go to Argos as they have a 28 day no quibble guaranteed money back deal so you can do a job n get ya dosh back when the jobs complete it's much cheaper than hiring and saves carrying a van full of tools

All my kit is dewalt, I like the way they fit my grip as well as the fact they are durable and powerful

I'm a makita man, although I've tried Bosch, erbauer, dewalt..I still prefer makita

"Yup, real hardcore swinging chat.

In the market for a new cordless drill.

Always had makita kit, but feel the quality isn't there anymore.

My heavy kit is metabo, want a small lightweight drill driver to replace my now defunct makita 10.8.

Don't like dewalt

So should I bit the bullet and splash out on a mafell 10v.

Or screwfix have an offer on a 18v compact lion drill driver 99 squid Inc vat.

Or buy another makita kit??

"

I brought the Bosch one about 2yr ago as a second "light duty" drill. Have to day its a good piece of kit. The li-ion batteries last well charge in an hour and its got a fair kick for the size/weight. Ita a small unit ideal for light tasks/confined space work. Cant go wrong with it for £100 bit have seen it cheaper elsewhere (think euro car parts had it on offer for £89).

I used to have a Fisher Price one that I loved. It had loads of attachments and a special case to put it in...

"I used to have a Fisher Price one that I loved. It had loads of attachments and a special case to put it in..."

Think they are rebranded as black and decker these days

By *urnziMan  over a year ago

Cheshire

Hilti stuff is the best about, but the most expensive too.

Milwaukee drills are reliable and good value

"I used to have a Fisher Price one that I loved. It had loads of attachments and a special case to put it in..."

Thanks

By *bovethekneeCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire / Herefordshire

Festool is good I am told.

By *oyce69Man  over a year ago

Driffield

I bought a Stanley Fatmax 18v li-on drill with a 3 year warranty, seems to work well but only time will tell.

"The screwfix offer is a bosch. "
Bosch are a very good make but 10v not good enough power the best cordless drills are impact drivers and Makita devalt and Bosch all do quality impact drivers but you want 14v and upwards

"The screwfix offer is a bosch. Bosch are a very good make but 10v not good enough power the best cordless drills are impact drivers and Makita devalt and Bosch all do quality impact drivers but you want 14v and upwards "

I got the psb 18v li-ion with twin batteries. Plenty of power for lighter jobs and use a hilti sds for more challenging work. Its good for the money, and it is very light so is ideal for small spaces.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The new Hitachi stuff is good...

hubbys a joiner and all his kits dewalt!!

By *ohnjones3210Man  over a year ago

Chester

Just rebranded black and decker anyway. "

Whatttttttt??? They aren't just rebranded!

I've got a black and decker drill and a dewalt one. The dewalt drill is way way way better than the black and decker one, and it is smaller too! It is also more expensive.

However, the drill i use most is a cheapo one from b&q! It's grey and called "power performance" or something! I've had it for years and it's just as good as my dads old Makita! Having said that, my dad is a builder and his Makita drill lasted for 12 years!!!! 12 years!!!!!!

"I used to have a Fisher Price one that I loved. It had loads of attachments and a special case to put it in...

Thanks "

You're welcome!

By *hoenixmanMan  over a year ago

Where men are men, and sheep are nervous...!

I get all my power tools from..... ALDI!

Got put on to it years ago by the Dad of one of my son's schoolfriends. He has a shopfitting business and found out about tools at Aldi when they were working in Germany a few years before. He could get about 15 Aldi power drills for the price of ONE DeWalt.... and NO ONE is going to break into a Transit to nick something with Aldi Workforce on it....!

Just bought myself a circular saw in Aldi only yesterday - £30. THIRTY QUID!!! AND... it came with a 48 tooth cutting blade for MDF (which is what I need it for) and I couldn't get more than a 40 tooth in Wickes or BnQ.

Okay - you can all take the piss now...

By *ohnjones3210Man  over a year ago

Chester

"I get all my power tools from..... ALDI!

Got put on to it years ago by the Dad of one of my son's schoolfriends. He has a shopfitting business and found out about tools at Aldi when they were working in Germany a few years before. He could get about 15 Aldi power drills for the price of ONE DeWalt.... and NO ONE is going to break into a Transit to nick something with Aldi Workforce on it....!

Just bought myself a circular saw in Aldi only yesterday - £30. THIRTY QUID!!! AND... it came with a 48 tooth cutting blade for MDF (which is what I need it for) and I couldn't get more than a 40 tooth in Wickes or BnQ.

Okay - you can all take the piss now... "

For £30, I won't be taking the piss anytime soon!

I reckon Milwaukee are about one of the best for quality on the market at the moment, I wouldn't touch dewalt but just personal preference.

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

I have got a Makita TD090D 10.8 V and it is a fantastic little tool. I suggest buying a couple of spare batteries as back up if you are going to work it hard. I did buy this bit of kit a few years back so do not know what the quality of Makita is like now but can not fault my one.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

I would say take a look at Claus Olsen but their tv ads are really creepy

"I get all my power tools from..... ALDI!

Okay - you can all take the piss now...

For £30, I won't be taking the piss anytime soon!"

I've bought loads of hand tools (ooh er missus!) and power tools etc from Aldi over the last ten years or so. The only thing I have ever had a complaint about was a hand cart/sack barrow from which the washers and split pins for the wheel assembly were missing. Took it back and got a refund with no questions asked at all. Had to go and buy one in Costco at nearly twice the price though... and it cost me the bloody Dartford Tunnel both ways to get the thing!

I used to work in the industry, both Bosch and Makita so got to trial and test nearly everything you could imagine.

Festool are the best, but really expensive.

Makita quality has seriously declined in the last couple of years, and still not sure they ever really fixed the problem with the 18v batteries.

New dewalt kit (last 2 years) is pretty good. They had some shocking kit over the last 10 years and realised they lost the market share by chasing profits so have done a huge re-vamp.

The best kit at the moment quality vs price is Milwaukee. There kit is pretty impressive.

Hope that helps

I work for a hire company and its all about hilti and milwalkee at the moment... but bosch is bringing out some banging kit later this year and is ment to piss all over the rest. Hope this helps op.

"I work for a hire company and its all about hilti and milwalkee at the moment... but bosch is bringing out some banging kit later this year and is ment to piss all over the rest. Hope this helps op. "

Can you get Fab members a discount...???

I do love my metabo kit, but the selection of cordless kit isn't great. Build quality, is very good tho.

One of the guy's I work with purchased a cordless saw from aldi and tbh it is pretty good for what he uses for.

The new hilti 22v cordless saw has a very impressive 70mm yes 70mm max cutting depth!!

Ryobi one plus been using mine for two years and has never let me down

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

I had a DeWalt battery drill for many years, never let me down couldn't fault it, good quality kit. Just needed to replace it last year after the batteries ran out of life. Replaced it with a Makita as there was a special offer on at Wickes. I have also used Milwalkee drills in the past and they are also good quality but a tad expensive.

"I had a DeWalt battery drill for many years, never let me down couldn't fault it, good quality kit. Just needed to replace it last year after the batteries ran out of life. Replaced it with a Makita as there was a special offer on at Wickes. I have also used Milwalkee drills in the past and they are also good quality but a tad expensive. "

ooooh I bet you have a power tool

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

Have a look in Wickes. Last I've I was in there they had the Worx brushless twin li-ion drill I have for £90- and it's a pretty light weight, powerful unit with hammer and driver facilities- and the charge seems to last better than the dewalts we have at work.

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

"I had a DeWalt battery drill for many years, never let me down couldn't fault it, good quality kit. Just needed to replace it last year after the batteries ran out of life. Replaced it with a Makita as there was a special offer on at Wickes. I have also used Milwalkee drills in the past and they are also good quality but a tad expensive.

ooooh I bet you have a power tool "

Pictures on my profile with my old DeWalt drill.

I would go with Metabo, I have a drill and angle grinder from them. The drill got the job done when a Slack and Wrecker couldn't cut it!

I like DeWalt tools but have found them to massively vary in quality even for the same product.

A work mate and I both got given new LiIon Dewalt drills, same voltage, same batteries, same drill bits etc. His seems to have the power of dead dodo while mine is perfectly fine and never had a problem with it.

Not the first time I've experienced quality issues with DeWalt, when they work they are great, when they don't they are shockingly crud

» Add a new message to this topic