FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cars in floodwaters

Cars in floodwaters

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

While I have great sympathy for those in NW England and Southern Scotland who have been affected by the floods I do have one niggle in my mind.

Cars left in flooded areas.

I appreciate that sometimes it can be difficult, and floodwaters have risen quite suddenly in dime areas. But just watching Sky News from Dumfries. They knew the river Nith was going to overtop the flood defences. This was on news last night. Just seen live pics of the floodwater which included the riverside car park....with cars left alongside the river, now up to the windows.

Why did people not move these? They had, basically 24 hours warning?

Is it another form of insurance scam?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

What if they weren't at home when the warnings came in?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I suspect most people had enough on their hands trying to get themselves and personal belongings in their house to safe.

It's also very likely that there was nowhere nearby to leave the car where it would be safe from flooding, or nowhere accessible.

By *tripper9Man  over a year ago

Blackburn

Some of these cars will be in Autotrader in the near future...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My car would be the last thing on my mind if my home was threatened with flooding.

Car is insured

Home may be not

No brainer

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I would also point out that the Environment Agency frequently have no idea.

The tidal surge the other year caused flooding in a village in my area that was assured it's defences would protect it.... They actually made it worse.

In Cawood (it's been in the news) the flood defences mean that the river floods at the other side of the river and around the village. Yet hundreds of man hours and resources were wasted there on Sunday that could have been better utilised elsewhere. Not to mention the unnecessary stress and worry for residents.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"While I have great sympathy for those in NW England and Southern Scotland who have been affected by the floods I do have one niggle in my mind.

Cars left in flooded areas.

I appreciate that sometimes it can be difficult, and floodwaters have risen quite suddenly in dime areas. But just watching Sky News from Dumfries. They knew the river Nith was going to overtop the flood defences. This was on news last night. Just seen live pics of the floodwater which included the riverside car park....with cars left alongside the river, now up to the windows.

Why did people not move these? They had, basically 24 hours warning?

Is it another form of insurance scam?"

Insurance scam

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"What if they weren't at home when the warnings came in?"

If I wasn't at home, nor would my car be!

This was a public (pay and display) car park....the cars have to be put there to be affected that way. I am not on about cars in streets, outside people's homes etc. as I agree other priorities take precedent. These were parked in a riverside (tourist style) car park.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

If I am going out for a drink, I don't drive, I I go out and end up having an unplanned drink, I don't drive home. Some floods happen quickly without warning. As people have said in other posts on this thread, the warnings are not always accurate.

Empathy with people in this unfortunate situation does not cost anything.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"...

Empathy with people in this unfortunate situation does not cost anything. "

» Add a new message to this topic